Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

sbaldrick posted:

I'd say the biggest problem with what will be Modern Classics is the fact that a whole bunch of movies have just disappeared due to the death of the video store and the rise of streaming services. Unless it's already a classic it seems like it may be impossible for something to transcend to the level where everyone has seen it or even has access to see it much like the pre-home video world.

Perhaps I'm missing something that made video stores unique in this process (because I'm not the kind of person who patronized them), but I think the opposite is happening. Streaming puts more films within easy reach of the average person than ever before, giving lesser-seen good movies a chance to become classics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The more interesting story of films becoming classics is about those that were met with a shrug at release and were found later. Blade Runner is a good example of this. It flopped at the box office and got mixed reviews, but was rediscovered in the early 1990s and is now regarded as one of the best sci-fi films ever made.

The Shawshank Redemption didn't do poo poo at the box office, and now it's the highest rated movie on IMDB.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Shawshank Redemption might actually be a good showcase of sbaldrick's argument that the rise of streaming impedes the emergence of modern classics. Part of the reason it became such a beloved film was that TBS used to show it constantly during the 90s and 2000s, so a huge number of people growing up in the US during that time were exposed to it at some point. Nowadays, this kind of shared viewing experience is less common because we're able to customise our entertainment to a much larger degree. You don't just turn on the TV and watch whatever's available, you actively seek out films that sound appealing to you. As such, the only modern films that just about everyone sees are giant blockbusters.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hat Thoughts posted:

There was a recent-ish episode of Community based off it, I agree otherwise tho

Brooklyn 99 did the same thing last season too.

Edit: the TV shows Leverage and White Collar are basically "The Sting: The Series" and I'm pretty sure both use the off track betting scam from the movie at least once.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 6, 2016

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

As for movies I haven't seen mentioned yet (if I need to provide a definition of "classic" I guess it might be something along the lines of: "unusually captivating"):

One Upon a Time in Anatolia - a hauntingly beautiful and somber movie in a long line of amazing Turkish features. I remember a lot of talk about it when it was released, but rarely see it discussed today.

Songs from the Second Floor - I don't know it's Andersson's best, but it's the one that's stuck with me the most.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Perhaps I'm missing something that made video stores unique in this process (because I'm not the kind of person who patronized them), but I think the opposite is happening. Streaming puts more films within easy reach of the average person than ever before, giving lesser-seen good movies a chance to become classics.

Netflix also seems to be more willing to take chances on things that wouldn't fly a few years previous.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Keep in mind that streaming didn't kill video stores, disc by mail did. I still place tremendous value on disc by mail because they offer close to every movie available. I've watched more independent, obscure, and foreign films due to that alone, so I think it's the other way around. My video stores never had copies of weird or rare movies. I had to wait for Netflix to re-watch The Forbidden Zone as an adult for example. None of my local blockbusters had copies of Ichi the Killer or Audition.

I don't know how it plays out in the future, but I haven't embraced streaming rentals yet because I'm still a subscriber to disc by mail, and between that and subscription streaming I'm really satisfied. Basically I prefer the monthly bill over per-view billing like it was with rental stores. When that goes away, the whole streaming rental market will probably grow again, back to the video store model where nothing's free but everything's affordable.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Samuel Clemens posted:

The Shawshank Redemption might actually be a good showcase of sbaldrick's argument that the rise of streaming impedes the emergence of modern classics. Part of the reason it became such a beloved film was that TBS used to show it constantly during the 90s and 2000s, so a huge number of people growing up in the US during that time were exposed to it at some point. Nowadays, this kind of shared viewing experience is less common because we're able to customise our entertainment to a much larger degree. You don't just turn on the TV and watch whatever's available, you actively seek out films that sound appealing to you. As such, the only modern films that just about everyone sees are giant blockbusters.

Shawshank Redemption is a good example but the simple loss of the video store means that people no longer have the ability to go back and find movies and most people won't go beyond the subscription services they pay for to find them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

sbaldrick posted:

Shawshank Redemption is a good example but the simple loss of the video store means that people no longer have the ability to go back and find movies and most people won't go beyond the subscription services they pay for to find them.

I worked at a Blockbuster for about three years, and the majority of customers were exactly like the person today who just peruses the front page of Netflix and picks something from there without ever delving deeper into the catalogue. The amount of people who would just come in and pick up the most recent Steven Segal turd without thinking vastly out numbered those who were actually going into the non-new release sections and looking for something good they may have missed in the past.

The same thing happens today with streaming services. Sure, a few people like me will have organized lists of movies they want to see and directors they're interested in, or are willing to go into each genre section and really find out what's available. Then there is the majority who will just stick to the "What's Popular" and "Recommended For You" bars and be 100% satisfied with that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I never quite understood the argument that it's harder now for people to dig in the crates. It is easier now than it has ever been at any other point in human history. Archive.org is a video store unto itself.

Basebf555 posted:

The same thing happens today with streaming services. Sure, a few people like me will have organized lists of movies they want to see and directors they're interested in, or are willing to go into each genre section and really find out what's available. Then there is the majority who will just stick to the "What's Popular" and "Recommended For You" bars and be 100% satisfied with that.

Yeah. This is why it paid to carpet the new release section of the video store with dozens of copies of the same movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 10, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I worked at a Blockbuster for about three years, and the majority of customers were exactly like the person today who just peruses the front page of Netflix and picks something from there without ever delving deeper into the catalogue. The amount of people who would just come in and pick up the most recent Steven Segal turd without thinking vastly out numbered those who were actually going into the non-new release sections and looking for something good they may have missed in the past.

People who haven't worked at movie theaters don't believe me, but there is a large contingent of people who will show up to a theater not knowing anything about any of the movies playing and just decide what to see when they get there based on the poster or the one-sentence summary the theater provides.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

But now there are like 5 different streaming sites, and most people just pick 1, so movies that are exclusive to another are drastically lowering their potential audience. I still haven't seen Spring Breakers because it's not on netflix, for one example. Plus you still have to pay the internet bill as well.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can rent Spring Breakers on Amazon Video for $4 right now.

In fact, since I started writing this post, I made the decision to rent The Sting, which my fellow goons assure me is a classic, for the same price, and now I have 30 days to watch it. I didn't have to leave my couch, and I don't have to worry about returning any physical media. This is really cool.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I never quite understood the argument that it's harder now for people to dig in the crates. It is easier now than it has ever been at any other point in human history. Archive.org is a video store unto itself.

Archive.org is also an absolute motherfucker to find anything interesting on. I'd honestly credit Cinemageddon more with making it easier to crate-dig videos nowadays.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Archive.org is also an absolute motherfucker to find anything interesting on. I'd honestly credit Cinemageddon more with making it easier to crate-dig videos nowadays.

A lot of stuff that gets uploaded to Youtube, is technically copywrited (?) yet isn't immediately taken down comes straight from CG, so yeah, kinda. About Archive.org, you could say that, but my point is that in the past, the library provided a similar function. A bunch of out of print classic type movies that your local branch inexplicably has a copy of.

Now, you don't have to leave your couch to watch something like two hundred silents in watchable condition which was simply not true in the past. I had a playlist on there that's just noir films, and I haven't even watched a fourth of them. Even ten years ago, I would've had to do a lot more work just to have access to that stuff, regardless of what you're looking for.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 11, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Now, you don't have to leave your couch to watch something like two hundred silents in watchable condition which was simply not true in the past. I had a playlist on there that's just noir films, and I haven't even watched a fourth of them. Even ten years ago, I would've had to do a lot more work just to have access to that stuff, regardless of what you're looking for.

Yea, its not as if video stores were some bottomless pit of movies where you could find anything your heart desired. If you were discovering, lets say Bogart, and you wanted to check out a decent sampling of his stuff, good luck finding anything but Casablanca at the local Blockbuster. Or if you were blown away by Lawrence of Arabia and want to check out everything Lean did around that time, good luck finding Dr. Zhivago or Bridge on the River Kwai. And they may not have even had Lawrence of Arabia on the shelf.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
AND they were VHS tapes! Digitization has done wonders.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Copyrighted. As in the right to make copies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I wanted to say copywritten.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I don't know how, in people's heads, 'there's more than one streaming service' is a worse problem than 'the physical media has to be in the store and not rented and not degraded'

The shortcomings of streaming are dwarfed by those of actual video stores.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snowman_McK posted:

I don't know how, in people's heads, 'there's more than one streaming service' is a worse problem than 'the physical media has to be in the store and not rented and not degraded'

The shortcomings of streaming are dwarfed by those of actual video stores.

Probably because almost everyone who posts here was too young to really be searching for anything in particular in video rental places. They were all just happy to browse action and horror movie covers and pick whatever looked cool.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DeimosRising posted:

Probably because almost everyone who posts here was too young to really be searching for anything in particular in video rental places. They were all just happy to browse action and horror movie covers and pick whatever looked cool.

Age doesn't have much to do with that.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Buh-but my nostalgia!

Plus you can't flirt with hotties on a streaming website... except you will be able to when Netflix/Amazon Video/Hulu implement some sort of social networking. Seriously, why have none of them done this yet?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Buh-but my nostalgia!

Plus you can't flirt with hotties on a streaming website... except you will be able to when Netflix/Amazon Video/Hulu implement some sort of social networking. Seriously, why have none of them done this yet?

Because they don't want every single woman to cancel her account because of harassment. (And by "every single woman" I don't mean "all women who are single," I mean "all women")

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Oh man, that sounds...

Incredible...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

Oh man, that sounds...

Incredible...

Do you really want dick pics popping up in the middle of a movie?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

Oh man, that sounds...

Incredible...

I was being ironic. I'm surprised none of them jumped on the social media bandwagon in the late last decade.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I was being ironic. I'm surprised none of them jumped on the social media bandwagon in the late last decade.

That's more or less the idea behind Plex.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Buh-but my nostalgia!

I literally have a startup idea for this. It's sort of a half-breed between synchtube and Netflix that I'm sort of trying to get off the ground, I've already put out feelers to Shout! Factory and Discotek about licensing stuff.

(Feelers that have been, so far, entirely ignored, but still.)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Buh-but my nostalgia!

NetFlix had something like this on XBox 360, you could form a party with buddies, and your XBox Avatars would sit in a "theater" while the movie played, MST3K-style. You could L3/R3 to bring up emoticons and jeer or toss popcorn. It was seriously awesome.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

caligulamprey posted:

I feel like Refn is making movies specifically for me and I love absolutely everything the dude has done, but I feel like Drive's gonna be the one that sticks out the most. It's just so perfect.

Us. Refn is making movies specifically for US. And it's wonderful.

I agree about Drive, I think it's going to endure, if only because I'll be an old man still talking about it.

Other "modern classics" on my list are probably Dark Knight, Inception, Fury Road, and perhaps A Serious Man. It's hard to know if a quirkier Coens film is going to stand out against your Fargos and your No Countries for Old Men, but every time I rewatch A Serious Man, it just resonates with me anew and I'd like to see it re-enter the consciousness at some point.

Films I wonder about are Inglorious Basterds and Guardians of the Galaxy and Frozen. I also think about less popular things like You're Next or The Guest or Blue Ruin. I wonder if that indie sensibility will have legs and keep these in the film-going mind two decades from now.

edit: I should clarify by "classic" I'm thinking of films that will be spoken of with reverence, even if they aren't perfect or game-changing. I think of The Warriors or Die Hard or The Shining or Nightmare on Elm Street or Terminator or Vertigo or Chinatown as "classics" and those all vary in quality, but they have cultural staying power or, among film nerds, are highly respected.

edit: Forgot The Raid: Redemption. Definite modern fight classic

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 18, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Anal Surgery posted:

Films I wonder about are Inglorious Basterds and Guardians of the Galaxy and Frozen.

Frozen, I think, will hold up, especially now that people are forgetting that loving song. It's a legitimately good movie and the Disney merchandising machine isn't going to let up anytime soon (see also: Cars).

Basterds, on the other hand, holds up less well for me each time I re-watch it. I just don't feel it really comes together as a whole, despite certain elements of it being legitimately great. As time goes by I think the only thing people are going to remember about it is Waltz's performance.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Timby posted:

Frozen, I think, will hold up, especially now that people are forgetting that loving song.

Dude, just let it go.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Buh-but my nostalgia!

Maybe you can't flirt on a streaming website, but it can get hotties in your place a lot better than rental stores ever did. "Blockbuster and chill" never became a catchphrase.

(*as amusing as it is, I kind of lament the "netflix and chill" meme because now you can't mention the two words anywhere near each other without someone getting an image in their head)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

lizardman posted:

Maybe you can't flirt on a streaming website, but it can get hotties in your place a lot better than rental stores ever did. "Blockbuster and chill" never became a catchphrase.

Because Blockbuster was mostly dead by the time text messaging became big among kids, I'm old enough that when I was younger I definitely invited several girls to rent a movie and come back to my place. I also did it when Netflix only delivered movies via mail. (jesus christ I'm old)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

There are five that I consider modern classics:

1 - In the Mood for Love
2 - Children of Men
3 - The Master
4 - Mulholland Drive
5 - There Will Be Blood

In the Mood for Love is astoundingly good, I'd easily rank it up there with stuff like Vertigo, Sunrise, and Passion of JoA.

Honorable mention to Fury Road, but it hasn't even been out for a year so...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Because Blockbuster was mostly dead by the time text messaging became big among kids, I'm old enough that when I was younger I definitely invited several girls to rent a movie and come back to my place. I also did it when Netflix only delivered movies via mail. (jesus christ I'm old)

One time I got a girl to come over my (parents) house by borrowing a movie she wanted to see from a friend. As in, I literally drove to the guys house and picked up a copy of the DVD. I think Netflix really hit the scene less than a year after that.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I feel like streaming services make it even harder to determine what a "classic" movie really is if you're basing the definition on popular consensus. For $8 per month I can basically watch any type of movie I want, and if there was a movie everyone is talking about it makes it super easy to rent it. But then with the Internet the down time until another big thing seems to get shorter and shorter, so instead of there being one big movie everyone's talking about that year there's at least 3 or 4. And I can watch them all easily anytime I want.

Having the process of seeing and talking about a movie be more of an effort doesn't make the movies better or more deserving of being a classic, but it made the playing field smaller because I couldn't just go watch the movie or a clip from it before I went to bed and then ask a bunch of fellow film geeks if it's as good as I think it is.

It's like the Internet is so widespread and inclusive that it's harder to decide on any "real" classic films, but easier to pick out a ton of "cult" classic films, because every niche can be filled so easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

Frozen, I think, will hold up, especially now that people are forgetting that loving song.

Dude, you can't hold it back any more.

• Locked thread