Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't know if I'd call it... good, or something? (And I wish it would actually commit to its premise, because though its premise is dumb, the movie is actually at its best when completely unapologetic.) Yeah, but I can't figure out why no one else apparently enjoyed it? It has an interesting and fairly novel theme which carries through, which is pretty rare in horror, and people have praised in far worse horror films. There's very little crappy, distracting CGI. The main character isn't an idiot and is actually pretty sensible all things considered, which makes his predicament far more affecting than the whole "DON'T GO IN THERE" feel you get with most movies in the genre. There aren't any glaring mistakes made by the protagonists, which makes it sick and sad if it weren't for the question of whether the main character deserved his fate. The lighting (with the exception of the actual walrus scenes) is loving right on, and the composition of most of the shots is impressive overall. The shots inside the mansion are surprisingly rich. The antagonist's acting is 100% committed and feels unnervingly credible. In fact, I'd say its biggest flaw is the uneven pacing, but all in all I think it works. Also, there's even a Canadian history lesson right in the middle of it!

My favorite scene is the dinner table discussion though, it's... distressing.

Anyway, it's streaming on Amazon Prime (because apparently almost no one liked it) but I'll go to bat for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Just looked up the ending. Kind of hosed up and I don't know why he didn't just try and sink like a stone there.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Testikles posted:

Just looked up the ending. Kind of hosed up and I don't know why he didn't just try and sink like a stone there.

You mean when he's hosed in the mouth or when he has to fight for his life or when he's kept in depressing captivity for the rest of his life?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
put a sock in it pick

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Pick posted:

You mean when he's hosed in the mouth or when he has to fight for his life or when he's kept in depressing captivity for the rest of his life?

I was going to say its a great metaphor for the American Dream but yeah that works too.

Nekodoshi
Aug 4, 2007

I'm only as smart as the content of my posts.
I watched this back when it first came onto DVD, and thought it was kinda hilarious. Johnny Depp does a great little cameo which I really enjoyed.
I think it's a good body horror movie right up until the part where the whole transformation is complete, then after that it just goes off the rails into being a full-blown comedy. I'd give it 3/5 stars, for having Smallface Osment and Pedostache, plus bonus Quebecian Depp.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I don't want to die in Canada

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

I don't want to die in Canada

i find this deeply moving.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

you have lovely taste so it makes sense

Aug 4, 2010

no way im watching a movie that only got 40% on the tomatometer, ive got better things to do with my time

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

www posted:

no way im watching a movie that only got 40% on the tomatometer, ive got better things to do with my time

i watched clerks2 or something and it was without doubt the worst movieive ever seen. pure poo poo. pristine, poo poo.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Orkin Mang posted:

i watched clerks2 or something and it was without doubt the worst movieive ever seen. pure poo poo. pristine, poo poo.

the donkey show in that film was totally inaccurate and nothing like the one i saw in TJ

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I hear this movie is in fact human cneptede confirm Denny

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like the idea of a horror movie in which the protagonists aren't total morons, but Kevin Smith is really terrible and when his characters start talking my brain shuts down to prevent my eyes from rolling out of my head

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Red State was good too

Kev smith is still a loving idiot if you listen to his podcast (any of them) but he's definitely grown as a director

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tusk was one of the biggest pieces of poo poo I've ever watched.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Tusk is a good album.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
nice beards, beardo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what if you are in fact a genuine bitch

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

what if you are in fact a genuine bitch

i sharted my pants 2 nights ago fwiw

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Don Tacorleone posted:

Red State was good too

Kev smith is still a loving idiot if you listen to his podcast (any of them) but he's definitely grown as a director

I normally don't like his movies and this one has a lot of problems, but it's definitely more interesting than Ant Man or w/e. Didn't see Red State though.

If someone had gone through and said, "Hey rear end in a top hat, just make your loving movie and stop winking at the screen to remind us you know it's dumb" it'd be a lot better. Lack of confidence.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Orkin Mang posted:

i sharted my pants 2 nights ago fwiw

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Pick posted:

The latter.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I genuinely did not and Kevin Smith makes bad movies for idiots. They all suck, mallrats sucks, clerks sucks, chasing Amy sucks.

Boooooooooooooo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WatermelonGun posted:

I genuinely did not and Kevin Smith makes bad movies for idiots. They all suck, mallrats sucks, clerks sucks, chasing Amy sucks.

Boooooooooooooo.

well that's just stupid

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Testikles posted:

The latter.

a sad walrus life

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
The Johnny Depp part was not something I liked. I was a good movie for something that was basically thrown together as a joke because enough people on Twitter said "make the dumb movie u fat lard" at Kevin Smith.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
i would rather watch 24 hours of swap.avi than ever see this horrific sack of poo poo "movie" again, OP

hth

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Im thinking of becoming a warlock

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Haven't seen it, but Genesis Rodriguez is, how you say, "caliente"

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Johnny Depp ruined it with his terrible SNL level performance

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Fonzarelli posted:

Johnny Depp ruined it with his terrible SNL level performance

Well
This could be any movie he's in

MaliciousBiz
Mar 28, 2010

I Pay to Poast on Internet
The only good thing in that movie was michael parks

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
The whole movie was believable except the part about a girl loving Haley Joel Osment

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Bip Roberts posted:

Tusk is a good album.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I liked it for what it was, it wasn't scary or tense though, I just thought it was really funny and seemed like kevin smith took a skit idea form robot chicken and made it into an entire movie.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

I liked it for what it was, it wasn't scary or tense though, I just thought it was really funny and seemed like kevin smith took a skit idea form robot chicken and made it into an entire movie.

It actually came from a weird Gumtree ad in the UK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MaliciousBiz posted:

The only good thing in that movie was michael parks

It was certainly the best thing, he did awesome.

• Locked thread