Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Here you are getting this much work done and I just let my project car languish in the driveway.

A driveway? Decadent! My project car is in a field! With wasps living in it!

I love this project :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
drat. This is gonna be cool as hell.

Cutting stuff out of the way to try and put the new powerplant in scares the poo poo out of me. I've never done it as a result... and the one project where I'm probably going to have to, I got a free front halfcut (already stripped of anything worth keeping) from a friend. So I can butcher away, hack n slash until it either fits and I'm OK with what's been lost (then use that example as a template to modify the actual chassis), or doesn't fit and I scrap the halfcut and change plans.

Penskecat
Aug 26, 2005

:tumbleweed:

It's not like you've been busy or anything.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

kastein posted:

drat. This is gonna be cool as hell.

Cutting stuff out of the way to try and put the new powerplant in scares the poo poo out of me. I've never done it as a result... and the one project where I'm probably going to have to, I got a free front halfcut (already stripped of anything worth keeping) from a friend. So I can butcher away, hack n slash until it either fits and I'm OK with what's been lost (then use that example as a template to modify the actual chassis), or doesn't fit and I scrap the halfcut and change plans.

That's exactly what mechanical stig and turbo yoda did on the double unicorn build. Rather than hacking up the stagea straight away they cut up a half cut and got the engine to fit before they fitted it to the final chassis

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
Dum dum DDUUUMMM!

Still not dead. Lost some months because we decided to move house. Consumed much time and available fliff. But I'm back in the shop a bit between other gigs, and progress resumes!

All about mockup, measuring and noodling on how to stuff a lot of mechanical junk into a car it doesn't belong in.

Next up, lift the engine and trans back out, tack in the crossmember, trim the outer frame rails for coilover clearance (note proximity of frame rail to the steel bar "shock simulator" in the above picture), create and install engine mounts...

Then cut out the rest of the floor, create some structure there... Oh, and figure out where to install a pedal box and fit the power steering unit under the dash, too.

Tune in next time, for even less exciting updates!

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Still one of my favorite AI projects. Glad to see this still going.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
So, the current area of focus is under the dash in the driving of the car region. Specifically the hand twisty thing and the foot pushy things. The pedal set(s) should arrive in a day or so, but I spent a bit of time in the junkyard heat today to get this. Observe the majesty!

Need to get another column, but the old one will suffice for this phase of mock up.

Why are non-ugly steering wheels so expensive? Is there anything between pep boys grant wheels and Sparco?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

jhcain posted:

Why are non-ugly steering wheels so expensive? Is there anything between pep boys grant wheels and Sparco?

Is there any reason you can't use the Maverick's stock wheel? I mean, I know pretty much nothing will be stock on this car when you're finished, so why not at least have the tiller remain original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Left Ventricle posted:

Is there any reason you can't use the Maverick's stock wheel? I mean, I know pretty much nothing will be stock on this car when you're finished, so why not at least have the tiller remain original?

Considered that, and it's still an option, but the large diameter (factory manual steering) and thin rim (1970) make it less than optimal. The factory ash tray and sweet package tray should make up for it. Currently leading toward a Ford "sport" wheel, if I can adapt it to the...whatever I manage to amalgamate for the column.

• Locked thread