Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The list had loving Domhnall Gleeson, it wasn't a very competitive category

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Vegetable posted:

The list had loving Domhnall Gleeson, it wasn't a very competitive category

I will not allow Domhnall Gleeson to be besmirched in this way. Though I will note that the actual Best Actor winner, Jacob Tremblay, was not on the list.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'll stand by the supporting actor/actress wins, but, yeah, the lead categories were brutalized by the limitations of what movies people saw (e.g., Room).

edit: Which matches the actual patterns of the voting. The votes for the best lead categories was very spread out, while the supporting performers both heavily dominated their categories, particularly Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 28, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Best Adapted Screenplay
Adam McKay and Charles Randolph, The Big Short
Cary Joji Fukunaga, Beasts of No Nation
Drew Goddard, The Martian
George Miller, Brendan McCarthy, and Nico Lathouris, Mad Mad: Fury Road
Mark L. Smith and Alejandro G. Iñárritu, The Revenant

Hell yes. Translating Michael Lewis's non-fiction book The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine to the screen was no easy task. The financial crisis of 2007-2008 is complex and the all details matter, and a lot of the work of getting that detail on the screen was performed by the screenplay.

Best Original Screenplay
Alex Garland, Ex Machina
Quentin Tarantino, The Hateful Eight
Sean S. Baker and Chris Bergoch, Tangerine
Taylor Sheridan, Sicario
Tom McCarthy and Josh Singer, Spotlight

In a year where the strongest movies were adaptations, some movie still had to win best original screenplay, and that movie is Ex Machina.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Best Food/Meal Scene
The Big Short, dinner with Wing Chau
Bone Tomahawk, cave butcher
The Gift, dinner at Gordo’s
The Hateful Eight, the stew
The Revenant, the buffalo

Best Cinematography
Emmanuel Lubezki, The Revenant
John Seale, Mad Max: Fury Road
Robert Richardson, The Hateful Eight
Roger Deakins, Sicario

A video I enjoyed by forums poster Death By The Blues:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrjHF7wPbs

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 29, 2016

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Great showcase of Sicario's cinematography. I was really hoping it would win that category, and you goons didn't let me down.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
An Ensemble Award, in a lot of ways, can feel like a consolation prize. "Congratulations," it seems to say. "None of you were good enough for a real award, but here's something to say you all tried really hard together."

Of course, that's not always the case. Sometimes, a film has such a murderer's row of talent that, even if one or two rise above, it feels wrong not to acknowledge the work put in by the rest of the cast that makes the film what it is. Such is the case with this year's winner, The Hateful Eight.

It's a movie that so necessitates an across-the-board set of quality performances that even the advertising highlighted it, and by god they pulled it off. Hateful Eight is loving stacked.

There was another ensemble western this year, though, and it's a CineByte winner too. Surprising absolutely no one, the Moral High Horse goes to Adam Sandler's latest crime against good taste and good filmmaking, The Ridiculous Six, a film so offensive it drove a dozen Native American performers to walk off the set in response to both its content and their treatment.

Because I have better things to do with my life, I haven't watched it, so I don't have much else to say. gently caress you, Ridiculous Six, and gently caress you for trying to shove it down my throat, Netflix.

Congratulations to (one of) the winners!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/UMnmS6b.gifv
How do you solve a problem like Mad Max: Fury Road?

It swept the technical (i.e., real) awards at the Oscars. Everyone who nominated for the Cinebytes this year nominated it for something. Everyone who voted for the Cinebytes this year voted for it for something. Everyone saw it, everyone loved it. It's so good I tried to ban it from these awards. But ultimately it's fair to recognize that it's really loving awesome.

These are the many Cinebyte awards won by Mad Max: Fury Road:

Best Picture
Beasts of No Nation
The Big Short
Chappie
Creed
Ex Machina
The Hateful Eight
It Follows
Mad Max: Fury Road
Sicario
Tangerine

Best Director
Denis Villeneuve, Sicario
George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road
Quentin Tarantino, The Hateful Eight
Ryan Coogler, Creed

Best Film Editing
Claudia Castello and Michael P. Shawver, Creed
Hank Corwin, The Big Short
Julio C. Perez IV, It Follows
Margaret Sixel, Mad Max: Fury Road
Stephen Mirrione, The Revenant

Best Makeup and Costuming
Crimson Peak
The Hateful Eight
The Revenant
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

The Echoplex Award for Art Design
Beasts of No Nation
Chappie
The Hateful Eight

The Michael Bay Award for Best Noises or Lack Thereof (Sound Design)
The Hateful Eight
The Revenant
Sicario

Best Action Choreography
Creed
Furious 7
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
Sicario

Best Visual Effects
Chappie
Ex Machina
The Revenant

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 29, 2016

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Out of curiosity, what was the runner up for best picture?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Out of curiosity, what was the runner up for best picture?

Sicario was one vote behind.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I know the Armond White hasn't been presented yet but is there anything else that hasn't been posted?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I Before E posted:

I know the Armond White hasn't been presented yet but is there anything else that hasn't been posted?

Nope, that's it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I knew I was forgetting something. I'll keep this brief especially since I didn't see a single one of these movies and honestly most of them pretty heavily divided CineD at best.

The Armond White Award for best film under 60% on Rotten Tomatoes
American Ultra (43%)
The axleblaze award for most desperate to be noticed in an RT blurb:

Blackhat (34%)
The axleblaze award for most desperate to be noticed in an RT blurb:

In the Heart of the Sea (43%)
The axleblaze award for most desperate to be noticed in an RT blurb: there was a ton of competition here but I told myself that if this exact review was there it would automatically win and sure enough

Terminator: Genisys (25%)
The axleblaze award for most desperate to be noticed in an RT blurb: once again this was pretty competitive but I was expecting the laziness of this exact blurb and RT did not disappoint

And the winner is (surprising no one because it also got a best picture nom):
Chappie (31%)
The axleblaze award for most desperate to be noticed in an RT blurb: is a tie between

and

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Congrats to the indestructible robot gangster number one, which did indeed win in a walk.

And that's it, folks. Thank you to everyone who participated.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sicario was one vote behind.

:eyepop:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol at The Hateful Eight having a better ensemble than Spotlight

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Lol at The Hateful Eight having a better ensemble than Spotlight

Ah, yeah, the category doesn't have the best name. The award is really for the best ensemble performance, so if you have a great cast but a bunch of them don't really deliver that isn't good enough.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
How many people voted this year? Do these awards reflect the opinions of ivory tower film snobs or the great unwashed moviegoing masses?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A little over a dozen voters, not particularly strong participation this year. So sort of a mix of the two: garbage tower unwashed snobs, like in Ballard's High-Rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I just saw Room and retroactively feel bad for not nominating/voting for Brie Larson, so point to you, people who mentioned that.

• Locked thread