Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Congratulations! You, sir/madam, are one of the lucky applicants in the final phase of our selections process for the Trial Season of ‘When Heaven’s Watching’, the newest and hottest reality television show to grace the world! For the small cost of spending a few weeks closed off from the world, you get all-paid for food, accommodation plus luxuries such as a swimming pool, and a generous cash prize, even if you’re not the ‘winner’!

But don’t spend all your time slacking off! While you are inside The Compound, as this closed-off-area is called, only a small trial audience will be able to see you, but they’ll be evaluating every one of you based on one simple metric - how entertaining you are! The individual who has entertained the audience most by the end of a given period will receive three points, while second and third place receive two and one points respectively. The individual with the most points after the end of this trial season will be considered the victor!

Sounds simple, right? Well, that’s why you signed up for it, no doubt! There will be some complications as we go - guest stars, sudden situation changes, all in the interest of making sure this trial season continues to entertain the audience, of course. So, without any further ado, please fill out the form, and we’ll let you know soon if you have passed selections! Good luck!

--

What This Is:
This is a Monsterhearts game. You pick a skin (class), and act out some shameless teen twenty-something melodrama full of sex and confusion and terrible life decisions, plus you’re a monster so you might also need to eat people or something. It’s pretty easy to pick up if you’ve played Dungeon World or Apocalypse World, or even if you haven’t -- all you need is your skin and the reference sheet (links are a bit down the page).

If you feel like signing up, write up a brief description of your character (most people like to do these in first person, in-character), fill out you character sheet and post them both here. Once you’ve posted this, I’ll ask some questions to help get a feel for the character, before making final picks. I'm looking for Eight characters.

Submissions will probably be open until the 22nd of January. If you can't have an app out by then, just let me know ahead of time and we should be able to work out an extension. My phone is basically always in #swampthings (general MH chat) on SYNIRC as Nown or Nown-phone, so if I'm not actually on but I'm still in there, feel free to either PM or just tag me with a question and I'll get back to you as soon as I get on. I'd highly recommend joining the channel, as people in #swampthings are happy to help with any MH questions, and having the game group actively talking about the game in IRC is crucial to keeping games alive in my experience.

When you make your character, if you'd like, you can take one move from another skin for free to enhance your idea. A clingy Chosen with the Mortal's True Love, an Unseelie Fae with the Infernal's Dark Pact, a Werewolf with a Queen's Gang to give them a pack off the bat. Or just take one that you think works well with your idea, an excessively shy Ghost who takes one of the Cuckoo's moves. A Werewolf that sweats a lot and has Musk. You don't need to take the move if nothing strikes your fancy, I'll be picking based on characters, not moves, and similarly if you think for your concept you really need two moves from another skin, or the sex move from one and the darkest self from another, just talk it out with me and it'll probably be fine. The idea is to come up with cool ideas for fun characters.

Along with your character application, please include:
1. A talent your character has that makes them stand out.
2. What they hope to achieve from this trial season.
3. A person they know personally who they think could spice things up in the trial season.
4. Your thoughts on another (NPC) applicant for the trial season.

Reference Pictures are not required, but they'll help me remember your character better, so I'd recommend doing it.

Skins:
A helpful goon has compiled a list of skins with links to everything but the Second Skins (kickstarter backer only for the moment -but friendly goons might share if you ask)
-Of these, all Skins for the Skinless are banned.
-I'm only banning one skin from the corebook or Second Skins outright - The Heir, because c’mon, it just doesn’t make sense for this game.
-From the Third Party Skins, please ask before apping any of them except the Gentry, Djinni, Coyote and Anansi (V2), they're all fine. That said, if you have a good idea, don't let that stop you - I'm a reasonable person, and if you've got an awesome concept I'm totally willing to listen.

General Considerations:
Monsterhearts is a game that frequently involves tricky subject matter (racism, homophobia and other forms of shittiness, physical/emotional abuse), just kind of by definition. If any of you get freaked out during play, please talk to me about it. It’s important people feel safe here -- I care more about your emotional well-being than I do about this storygame topic. After doing selections, I'll be bringing up any boundaries players have to try and make sure nothing comes up before hand, but again, if at any time something makes you uncomfortable, just say so, no need to explain why. Basically, everyone's fun and well-being is important, so we'll all collectively avoid being creeps or jerks, alright?

New players are more than welcome to app - I'll be more than happy to help guide people through the character creation process. Please don't let all these apps intimidate you - if this game looks fun to you and you've got both an idea and time, you should totally app a character!

Thanks to godfish / Rauri / gazetteer for most of this OP. In true slacker fashion, most of it's copy and pasted from them.

Please be active! Try to post at least once every other day - I can’t guarantee the thread will always move that quickly, but if someone is habitually slow and holding things up, I may very well replace them for someone quicker! If you have RL stuff, that’s cool, and obviously takes priority, but if possible, please let me know in advance so I can try and work the game around it.

One last note, though it won't be relevant for a while. Growing Up Moves are banned in this game. I do not like them thematically or mechanically, and they will not be available as Season Advances. This isn't up for debate or discussion, so let's not argue about it~

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

You and I, we're going to have oh so much fun together~

quote:

Name: Nicole "Nico" Rubicante
Skin: The Coyote
Origin: Friend with benefits
Look: Sleek, Sharp Eyes

Stats
Hot: +2
Cold: -1
Volatile : -1
Dark : +1

Moves
Silver Tongue
You just can’t resist showing people how wise and clever you are. When someone’s in trouble, or being foolish, tell them what you think they should do. It’s up to you whether to give honest advice or try to trick them. If they choose not to do what you tell them to, give them a String. If they follow your advice and wish they hadn’t, or vice versa, take 2 Strings on them and they mark experience.

Fox and Crane
When you embarrass someone publicly, give them a String and a Condition. When you get caught in your own trick, mark experience.

Kallisti
When you successfully manipulate an NPC, they’ll conveniently forget that you were the origin of the idea. Perhaps they’ll think it was their own idea, or blame someone else, or just not notice. Others might figure it out if they find evidence of your involvement, though.

*Temptation
Your suggestions carry a preternatural power. When you convince someone to do something, they carry 1 forward to doing it, and if they succeed choose one: mark experience; gain a String on them.

Sex Move
After you have sex, ask them if it was real or just for fun. If they say it was real, laugh at them and take a String. If they say it was just for fun, give them 2 Strings on you and mark experience.

Darkest Self
They all think you’re just a harmless clown. Silly Coyote, they say. But this time the joke’s on them. Come up with the most devious trick you can, the nastier and more convoluted the better, and put it into action. Be vicious. Be petty. Spread their secrets and burn their toys. Play them all for fools and let somebody else take the fall. It’ll be hilarious. And if you hurt somebody who trusts you in the process? That just makes it even funnier. You escape your Darkest Self when you pull off your trick, or when you realized you’ve been the one getting fooled.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 17, 2016

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Virginia Wright

Video Transcript posted:

are you sure this a good idea, sis. I mean what if it doesn't work.

It was your idea don't tell me you're backing out now. Besides it's not like I've thought of anything better and neither have you. now go for it we're already recording.

We are? oops.

Hi I'm Virginia Wright and this is my application for Reality Show. But first thing you should know about me is please call me Ginny. Virginia sounds way too formal I like my friends to call me Ginny and I want all of you to be my friends.

I live with my family and friends in Davenport Indiana and I'm currently studying to be a Veterinarian because I like working with animals. I live with my parents Fred and Julie and big sis by two whole weeks Samantha.

Why do I want to appear on the show? Well I've always wanted to be famous who hasn't really. <chuckles nervously> But well there's a little secret most people don't know about me. Well actually a lot of people do know about it but you probably don't.

See I'm adopted. I was abandoned at a hospital when I was only a few days old and I never knew my birth parents. I mean don't get me wrong. Mom and Dad have been lovely people but I'd like to know more about my real parents and I'm hoping if I get famous enough someone will be able to tell me more about them. Because I have so many questions I'd like them to answer.

But look I'm making myself all sad now and we don't want that do we. I'm also bright bubbly and enthusiastic and people tell me I'm a great person to be around so I think I'd be a real asset to your show. Anyway bye-bye and I hope to hear back from you soon.

I'm glad that's all over Sis. Did that sound ok to you?

You sounded great Ginny.

I still feel guilty about not telling them the whole truth. I mean what if those things I saw hurt someone else. It'd be all my fault.

You can't blame yourself for what others do.

But maybe if I warned them...

No one would believe you and well you said they're camera shy anyway so hopefully they shouldn't come anywhere near you. Gives us time to find out more about them.

poo poo.

Sis you know I don't like that kind of language.

We're still recording. We'll have to scrap this and start over from the beginning.

You ready?

Hi I'm Virginia Wright and this is my application for Reality Show...

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Oh I'm not sure where to put his extra info and stuff that you wanted so I figured I'd put it here. I hope that's ok? Well anyway what unusual talent do I have? Well I don't like to brag but I'm quite a good singer. See back in high-school I was part of a band. There was me the singer and Sam on guitar then there was <blushes> Sam's boyfriend Jake on drums and our friend Dave on keyboard. We weren't that great but we all really enjoyed it and well we might have went on to do more with it. Well if Jake and Dave hadn't had to go to college out of state. Oh well.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Well like I said I'm hoping to get famous enough that someone out there might recognise me and be able to tell me something about my parents. I mean my biological family I just want to know why, why did they abandon me. I mean I'm way luckier than I deserve to end up where I did and I'm extremely grateful to my step-parents but there's still that curiosity you know?

AdjectiveNoun posted:

3. A person they know personally who they think could spice things up in the trial season.

Well I'm not the only one from our family to make an application. My big sister Samantha did as well. She's pretty much my exact opposite and don't tell her I said this but I'm actually pretty jealous of her. She's super self-confident and not afraid of anything and knows all about the way the world works. She's studying to be an accountant and she's much better with numbers and figures and all that than I am. But she looks after me as well so I can't complain.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Everyone should watch out for Anita White I was part of group with her for one of the evaluation team building exercise things. I thought we got on ok, I mean she was nice and polite and seemed to want to be everyone's friend. Which was really nice of her. Till I found out that she was talking about me and spreading false rumours about me behind my back. I won't repeat the vile things she said about me but none of them are true at all! I don't even think anyone would behave like that.

quote:

Name: Virginia "Ginny" Wright
Look: Hairstyle, Translucent eyes
Skin: The Unicorn
Origin: Survivor
People should never: hurt the environment, swear ,drink alcohol, do drugs, talk about sex in public, lie about being in love.
A virgin is: Well if it ends with you going below the waist with someone else you're not a virgin anymore.

Stats:

Hot: 2
Cold: -1
Volatile: 1
Dark: -1
Integrity: 0

Darkest Self:

This is it. Everything falls apart, and
you can't hold it together anymore. It's
not because everything is too much
to bear – just that you aren't good
enough. So beg their forgivenesses,
everyone you've wronged by being too
weak to help; and show them how
sorry you are, in whatever small ways
you can muster before the final curtain
falls. Don't seek their acceptance.
You don't deserve it. You escape your
Darkest Self when someone reflects to
you a glimmer of your own self worth.

Sex Move:

You have three intimacy moves:
  • When you lay your head in a virgin's lap,
    gain a point of Integrity and choose:
    -give them 1 forward to
    protecting you,
    -roll to turn them on.
  • When you kiss a non-virgin, take 1 harm.
  • When you have sex, lose all your
    Integrity.

Moves:

With Integrity

You judge your own actions harshly, holding yourself to a high moral standard. You have a fifth stat to reflect this, which starts at zero and can climb to 3. Gain a point of Integrity when
  • you take the moral highground about an issue that matters,
  • you follow through on something important that you say you'll do.
You can gain up to 1 Integrity per scene. When a move calls for you to roll with integrity, erase 1 Integrity after you roll.

Hunted

There are things that hunt you, things you often catch out of the corner of your eye. When one of them comes out into the open, choose:
  • stand up to it and award yourself a point of Integrity,
  • call out for help and anyone who comes to your rescue marks experience,
  • look directly at it and ask the MC a question about your hunters.

I Believe In You

When you believe in someone who has just done less than their best, make eye contact with them and roll with integrity (& then erase 1). On a 10 up, the roll they just made counts as a 10. • On a 7-9, add 1 to the roll they just made. When time seems to stop and fate hangs in the balance, sometimes believing in somebody is enough.

Sympathy is My Weapon

Every time you forgive someone for hurting you, and excuse their base nature, take a String on them.

Advancements:

Your Backstory

Someone is thinking about taking something from you - discuss with them and decide what it is. You each get a String on one another.

Someone's in love with you and has told you about their feelings. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 18, 2016

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Crow Brooks, Fae

Hey there. Name's Crow. Yeah, I know it's a stupid name. Parents were loving hippies. Let me tell you, that was reaaal great growing up. If it wasn't the name, I got to be embarrassed whenever someone from school saw them. Ugh, the loving worst. I wish I had been in a real home, a NORMAL one.

On my 18th birthday, one good thing happened.

So maybe it was our family background that made it so most of them were idiots running around wearing flowers and getting high and being all lovely dovey and peace and blah blah blah whatever. Because on my 18th birthday my faery godmother arrived. I poo poo you not, an honest to god actual fae. She told me that now I would now be able to use some of the fae magic. The big one was being able to tell when people broke a promise they made to me. Fae love their promise magic poo poo for some reason. And I suppose it kind of made sense - I've always felt this instinctual dislike whenever someone would promise something and then never deliver, not mention I've always felt hesitant to break my own promises. It's not an impulse or anything like that - I can break promises if I want to. I just don't like doing it. The thing is, I could never really do anything when people broke a promise to me. Or, I suppose, I couldn't before. Now? Now I can use magic to even things out. Make it so that things go bad for them and/or unfortunate events happen. I can also give people a bit of luck as a boon too, although they have to sort of ask for it first. Hey, I didn't invent the rules for how this poo poo works. At least they don't have to be aware of making a promise for it to work.

Anyway, so fast forward a couple of years. Still at 'home', not really able to get the money for college or moving out. Manage to get a few jobs but they're not great. And then I hear about this "When Heaven's Watching" show, and how it's basically a free place to stay and just basically be yourself. Yeah it's some kind of reality show but gently caress it - I'm pretty great with people, I'm pretty sure I can be entertaining for an audience. Not like I got anything else important going on in my life.

What have I got to lose?

quote:

Look: Mysterious, laughing eyes

Origin: Fae blooded

Stats

Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 1

Moves:

Faery Contract
If someone breaks a promise or contract made to you, take a String on them. When spending a String to even out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add these options:
}they gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment;
}add 2 to your roll on an act of vengeance;
}they suffer 1 harm, whether the cause is obvious or not.

Unashamed
You can give someone a String on you to add 3 to your attempt to turn them on.

Blessings (Unicorn)
When other people seek your blessing and erase a String on you, tell them whether you approve of their intentions. If you approve, they carry 1 forward to realizing it. If you don't, they take that String on you back.

Sex Move

When you lie naked with another, you can ask them for a promise. If they refuse, take 2 Strings on them.

Darkest Self

Everything you say is a promise. Everything you hear is a promise. If a promise is broken, justice must be wrought in blood. To escape your Darkest Self, you must in some way re-balance the scales of justice.

Your Backstory

You wear your heart on your sleeve. Give everyone one String.

You’ve captured someone’s fancy. Gain 2 Strings on them.

quote:

A talent your character has that makes them stand out.

WIP

quote:

What they hope to achieve from this trial season.

WIP

quote:

A person they know personally who they think could spice things up in the trial season.

WIP

quote:

Your thoughts on another (NPC) applicant for the trial season.

WIP

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 18, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Apping a... Witch? Maybe.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Apping The Prettiest Vampire

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Made some changes to the opening post - one more question, which will allow for more NPCs at start, for skins like Queen to take advantage of; and the outlawing of Growing Up Moves as a season advance.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Apping a Ghoul, maybe. Or a Chosen.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

"ZeikHunter", the Vampire

(source)

2,000 SUBSCRIBERS + BIG ANNOUNCEMENT! - ZH #147 posted:

Hello to all my subscribers out there! Hope you're having an awesomesauce... night, I guess it is now. Anyway, here's Zeik Hunter's Daily... Nightly Vlog number one hundred and forty-seven! (Atlas Genius - Don't Make A Scene (Lyrics).mp3)

First of all, thank you for helping us reach two thousand subscribers! I'll be putting up a special video tomorrow to celebrate and distribute Patreon rewards. I'd never have thought this channel could ever grow as big as it has, but it's all thanks to you, my fans. Thank you. Thank you so much.

With that done, I have a few announcements. I'm sorry to say that Claire and I... have decided to see other people. We had a couple of incidents in the past few days, and I've spared you the details, my dear viewers, because... honestly, there's only so much I can share without invading mine and her privacy, but suffice it to say, we're no longer dating at this time.

...In other news, you've probably been noticing that I've been recording and posting these at--What is it now?--3 in the morning! I've been having some strange sleep issues unrelated to Claire, I think, and the daytime just doesn't feel right for recording anymore. Besides, I'm thinking you all want a full recap of my day; well, here you go. I think I'm going to stick to this format for the foreseeable future. All y'all will have something to look forward to in the morning, huh?

And finally, the big news. I sent in an application to 'When Heaven's Watching' and they're considering putting me on the show! I know, it's Awesomesauce! (airhorn.wav) So if all goes well, I'll be able to continue my vlog from the Compound, or at least film a backlog to post in a big montage on my channel once they finish filming. I'll be sure to make a big shout-out to all of you on the air, because really... It's you guys that have brought me here today. Without your love and support, I would be just another nobody vlogger, without drive, just drowning in self-loathing... Thank you all so much. 2,000 subscribers. What an amazing number. Thank you.

Well, enough getting sentimental. Thank you all for watching. Make sure to like, subscribe and leave a comment for me, and best of all, wish me luck! This is Zeik Hunter, telling you all to Stay Awesomesauce! (Arcade Fire - Normal Person.mp3)

I miss you.

quote:

Name: Ezekiel Horowitz, "ZeikHunter"
Skin: Vampire (w/ Neighbor)
Look: Aloof, pained eyes
Origin: Newly reborn

Hot 2, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark -1

Skin Moves
Hypnotic
You can hypnotize people who have no Strings on you. Roll with Hot. On a 10 up, they do exactly what you wish and have no idea that anything is wrong. On a 7-9, the hypnosis works, but choose one:
- they realize you hypnotized them;
- they gently caress up your commands;
- their sanity is unhinged.

Inescapable
You may spend a String on someone to demand that they not walk out on you. If they still do, gain 2 Strings on them.

Mixed Messages (Neighbor)
When you're alone with someone, decide if you're attracted to them or not.
-If you are, tell them why you can't be together and roll to shut them down, adding 1 to the roll.
-If you aren't, tell them all the things they've got going for them and roll to turn them on, adding 1 to the roll.

Sex Move
When you deny someone sexually, gain a String on them. When you have sex with someone, lose all Strings on that person.

Darkest Self
Everyone is your pawn, your plaything. You hurt them and make them feel vulnerable, like a cat does with a mouse. You feed to the point of death whenever you're alone with someone, though you take your time. You escape your Darkest Self when you're put in your place, by someone more powerful than you.

Backstory
You're beautiful. Gain a String on everyone.

Someone once saved your unlife. They gain 2 Strings on you.

quote:

First of all, I'm a huge media creator. Vlogs, comedy videos with my friends, Let's Plays, and some music covers. I play pretty good guitar and my voice, well, it just gets better with practice. But most of all, I'm a really personable guy. And I'm single... I mean, if you want me to get personal with somebody, I can do that. I'm sure... the fans would appreciate me finding someone. They were all consoling me after my update last night, and sending hate mail to Claire which I did not ask for in the slightest.

quote:

As primary owner and representative of the ZeikHunter brand, I can promise a large viewer base in support of me. There might be some bias if audience participation is the primary scoring criteria, but I'm sure the other competitors would be aware of that and do their best to outshine me. You know that whole cliche, "I'm not here to make friends." Well, personally, I'd love to meet some new people. I'd get along with people, form alliances, maybe...

I'm pathetic, aren't I? You're creating this big show and I'm trying to use it as a dating site. Look, I'm... I'm not the kind of guy who just hits on girls and expects results. But every day that I'm alone just keeps reminding me of her. And her.

quote:

... I didn't mean to do it. I cheated on Claire, sloppily and without any planning. I was just so allured by this woman in white that she took me to her home and gave me a love bite--Well, obviously it was more than that. And then coming home, Claire saw it right away. And I tried to explain what had happened but she was so accusatory and violent I just wanted to hold her down and tell her you're perfect and irreplaceable and I still love you! But instead I bit down. And then she was... gone.

The woman in white, Sandra. I only saw her once after that, and I wanted to rip out her loving throat but she was in total control of me. She wanted something from me--I don't know exactly what--but I just want to love again, like I did with Claire. She said she'd be watching over me, and look at me now. Yesterday it was 2,000, but soon it could be closer to ten thousand, and then maybe a million. How awesome would that be, to know that a million people want to listen to you and send you their love?

How many people's joy and affection could add up to a love like hers?

quote:

I recognize Henry Nguyen-McAdams. He's the guy behind the Tech Save-Me channel. He's got a really helpful character, but the few times he and I met he was... ruthlessly mean. I once asked him if we could trade guest spots as a cross-promotional thing, but instead of politely declining he took to Twitter and threw out some vicious claims. I decided not to add fuel to his fire, but I lost the social media battle for sure. What a dick.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Sadly, I'm going to pull the plug on this game. In hindsight, the gimmick was too crazy, and I should have seen that, but I was just so bored with running standard school settings I wanted to try something crazy and new.

With three days to go until recruitment ends, and only four apps in various stages of completion, I'm just going to call things off, sorry to those who apped.

• Locked thread