Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Since Delta will be away until Wednesday I am making the executive decision that you all can vote where to go without him, or elect a leader in their place. If the deciding voter or temporary leader decides to Backtrack, they shall then roll Backtrack on Delta's behalf, 2d6+nothing.

Backtrack
When you travel through hostile, previously explored territory, the Human rolls+nothing. ✴On a 7-9 the same amount of renewable and non-renewable healing items are spent when you reach your destination, and all monsters killed last time are killed again, and traps, disarmed.
On a 10+ choose one:
Hindsight: You spend 1 fewer Healing item or Spell use getting to the area this time.
Mad Dash: You can choose run through as many rooms as you want, traps and monsters alike, to avoid paying what was spent there before. If you must travel through the room again the hostiles will still be there, triggering this move again.
6-: something goes different from before. Work with the GM to determine what and start from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Sorry I've been off the radar; Easter weekend was a bit crazy for me. I'm back now, though and I'll be contributing regularly again.

As for feedback on your GMing style, it's been awesome so far! The atmosphere, pacing, and flavor are all well done and interesting. One thing, though: at times the atmospheric descriptions can make it a bit unclear what mechanical action is required or ideal next. I don't have a lot of experience playing Dungeon World in general, let alone play by post, so it could totally be my bad.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

No problem about getting sporadic, life finds a way.

As for moves, I don't like to make it too near to a "press X to pay your respects" type action prescription of players' actions per se, but if it's a question of whether those actions triggers mechanical moves I'm absolutely supposed to nudge you all toward that. If you're unsure about what move has been triggered or how to put the action over and trigger it, just let us know in the irc channel or post in this OOC thread. Never be ashamed to do that.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

So what I propose given the info we got, have someone agile lay down to attract a beetle and then Dom and Agerios can knock it over more easily, and the flies will go after the upturned beetles. Let's just assume Dom kind of gave everyone the info that the GM post contained.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Would, hypothetically of course, the impact of a spear thrown by a fit and honorable hoplite have enough force to knock a beetle on its back?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

:justpost: play to find out.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

StringofLetters: what's the damage on that hack and slash?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Deltasquid, StringofLetters: the air around Ysolde is clouded with frass, thick as a dust storm. Taking a deep breath there would send your characters into a coughing fit like Ysolde that would make it difficult to fight the Dire Gadflies it would also draw to you. You can still hack and slash in there but there is danger to defy. Add how you would deal with it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I suppose that answers my question -- will I have to DD to do anything? And I presume DD Con is suitable for "get your breath back to actually do stuff?"

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah con would be like "idgaf my eyes are watering nose running and i'm coughing my rear end off, i'm still gonna kill everything"

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Derp. :downs: Edited this post with damage and a defy danger roll.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

slydingdoor posted:

Deltasquid, StringofLetters: the air around Ysolde is clouded with frass, thick as a dust storm. Taking a deep breath there would send your characters into a coughing fit like Ysolde that would make it difficult to fight the Dire Gadflies it would also draw to you. You can still hack and slash in there but there is danger to defy. Add how you would deal with it.

Clarified my post a bit. I didn't realize there was a cloud, but I suppose I'll try shouting, holding in my breath and then moving into the cloud.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

It's my bad i should have said something like "it hangs in the air"

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Sorry for the delay, post up!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Giving Dominik the possibility to manifst cauldron bubbles gave me an idea. Would it be possible to spend a few souls to manifest clean air around us? If only my face? I'm not sure if letting us manifest anything we can think of or have learned in our travels is what you were going for but it might be cool and fun.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

This is not the kind of game, I am not the right GM. "Anything we can think of or have learned in our travels" is far broader than would work to keep the atmosphere what it is, having to pillage souls from the slain to broaden what one can manifest is crucial. Also in my own experience DW or any PBTA games that I know of have not worked when characters have free-form anything-is-possible magic powers. Players have asked for playbooks with that stuff, it just hasn't ever come together. I always think I suck at GMing, but I know I suck at GMing that kind of game.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Hey, no problem. Pillaging abilities off slain enemies is cool as well. I realize letting us do whatever we can think of right off the bat wouldn't mesh well with the tone of the game, hence me asking to be sure.

To the other players: do we continue in this world or are you guys aching for some change of scenery? I'm okay with bailing out of grimdark Greece and exploring something else, but I'm also okay with finishing what we started here.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Everything okay with everyone?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I've been waiting for the girls to Stop Drop and Roll so we can continue adventuring!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, sorry, I spaced/got distracted by RL again. Will post tonight.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Most of you seemed in need of prompts, so I posted some. Another Odessa post will come later.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Some prompts are always good. Sorry for not being active, I had some rough thesis-related deadlines this month. But I have a long weekend starting today, so all's well.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

No worries

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I'm really sorry about inactivity; work's been tough/draining and I haven't been thinking about roleplaying very much. I'll try to be caught up and post tonight or tomorrow.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Take all the time you need. I know running a PbP is basically like running a PUG, so I run with whoever posts pretty much. As long as you guys show signs of life though I'll give you prompts every once in a while too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

If people are gonna need more than 2 weeks between posts though...

Well I'll keep it on my radar and start over if anyone wants.

• Locked thread