Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm having my bathroom redone. My wife and I are looking at vanities. We want to get something with solid wood doors/drawer faces, and preferably solid wood if we can get it, decent North American plywood if not, that carries a lifetime warranty. We like a basic Shaker style or something with a slight bead on it, just a nice simple design that doesn't go too traditional, that can be done with an espresso stain.

We've checked out a handful of local bath design showrooms and stuff. So far Hanssem has a good product but the few random reviews out there have a few quality issues, and a 5-year warranty with some parts wearing down a lot.

Have any goons been down the road of bathroom re-do that can attest to or advise caution on certain brands that meet our design needs? Optimally our budget is around $900 tops for just the vanity, we'll be getting the sink, countertop, fixtures, etc. budgeted separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
well most of it is personal preference and you've got that

the only gotcha in this thing is making sure that your drain matches the bowl curvature. If it's wrong you will get nasty standing water

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
be realistic with how long you are going to keep it. Your post makes it pretty obvious that you are not a do it yourselfer, so when it goes out of style, are you going to pay someone to replace it? If yes, then you probably only need it to last 10-15 years, not a lifetime.

edit: i would pay for a high quality faucet, a slow drip is expensive if not corrected immediately, and again, you don't come off as a do it yourselfer so a plumber visit is going to be over $100. Spend the extra upfront.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We're getting a standard sink/cabinet/mirror unit from Toto. Wooden doors cost extra so ours is just grey :shrug: Maybe I'm just young and cheap but function is more important than appearance. Square sinks are less splashy than round imo.

peanut fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 23, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yo op pics and updates plz

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
People actually consider more than size and color when looking at vanities? What strange world do you live in where you'd need a warranty on a piece of furniture you're going to install in your bathroom, stub your toes on in the dark occasionally, and ignore for the rest of its useful life?

I mean, what could even possibly go wrong with a vanity cabinet that would even be covered by a warranty?

My experience with buying and owning a bathroom vanity: I bought a $99 vanity at a big-box store. It came with a sink. It was easy to install and we liked the color. Five years later the front panel is now loose because I leaned on the sink too much one day. Gonna nail/glue it back in place instead of the cheap staples it came assembled with, and it'll last us another 10 years.

Edit: I guess maybe check out MasterBath if they're still around? They do custom work and it's really lovely hardwood stuff last I checked. Should be within your budget range.

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 12, 2016

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The cheapest vanities are made with MDF, which would be one thing for like a bedroom dresser, but it has the potential to go really bad in a wet environment like a vanity's.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016
Kohler has stuff in your price range and their products are pretty good quality.

I don't think they (or anyone, for that matter) does solid wood for $900 - most stuff these days is plywood. You could have it custom made by a carpenter but that's probably not going to be in your budget.

I love wood (har-har) but I don't mind limiting it to stuff I can take with myself if/when we move. Desks, armoires, dressers, etc.

If your town has a Design Center you might want to look there. (That place also has tiles, furniture, decorations, etc.) I would have also recommended EXPO but they closed all their stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So we ended up going to another bath design place. Omega Cabinetry builds stuff on the same vein as Hanssem, although I neglected to ask whether the plywood they use is from the US or China. However, it has a lifetime warranty, the parts that need to be solid are solid, and it came in a good range of colors and styles.

We're actually four days into the renovation. It's looking pretty good. The tiling is going to be done by tomorrow and after that, the rest of the stuff gets installed.

The vanity was around $740 in our color and style in cherry wood, and we scored a granite remnant cut and finished to spec for only $250 for the top.

I'll post pictures when the whole shabang is done, but I learned the hard way - even for those 10% off coupons on Ebay, don't get anything from Lowes that isn't in stock, because not only will they bungle the order, they'll tell your contractor that nothing is in when it's been in for almost a week.

• Locked thread