Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
texasmed
May 27, 2004
if only we had like, a telescope, in space, to look for things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

texasmed posted:

yeah its like the planet is RIGHT THERE and the telescope doesnt even give a gently caress

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Jaffa kree

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
The best troll in science is naming everything below 100km of atmosphere the 'homosphere'

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Professor Shark posted:

The news that there may be a sleeper planet in our solar system ready to seditiously infiltrate us is terrifying, I hope we nuke it

plot to Armageddon 2: Drill Harder

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

texasmed posted:

Yeah like when they claimed Hubble didn't work because they didn't want to admit to having a machine process for creating an atomically perfect mirror.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

texasmed posted:

Problem with most telescopes is that they have really narrow fields of view, which makes them bad for searching wide areas of the sky. These guys are using the Subaru telescope because it's both sensitive enough and has a wide enough field of view that searching the outer solar system with it will "only" take 5 years to cover the entire area and prove/disprove the existence of Planet X.

edit: it would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack with the catch that you can only look through a cardboard tube.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Doc Block posted:

Problem with most telescopes is that they have really narrow fields of view, which makes them bad for searching wide areas of the sky. These guys are using the Subaru telescope because it's both sensitive enough and has a wide enough field of view that searching the outer solar system with it will "only" take 5 years to cover the entire area and prove/disprove the existence of Planet X.

Isnt there a big thing like the earth still fucks with telescopes and thats why they made the hubble telescope in space. And its why the new James Webb telescope will be floating 1.5 million km away in space from earth?

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Isnt there a big thing like the earth still fucks with telescopes and thats why they made the hubble telescope in space. And its why the new James Webb telescope will be floating 1.5 million km away in space from earth?

Yes, the atmosphere creates a distortion effect

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

Yes, but even for space telescopes you still have to know where to point them.

People are experimenting with using multiple telescopes that are geographically spread out but all pointed at the same object to try to cancel out some/all of our atmosphere's interference.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
stupid egg heads, can't even use their "SCIENCE" to take a photograph of Kolob. Thats right, that is the planets name. Deal with it. Jesus and his crew live there, so wanna fight about it?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

JohnnySavs posted:

Because the nuke will take 99.999% less time to get there and do more damage given the same resource investment.

ah yes quote my clearly ridiculous post and not the one I was replying to fearing that spacecraft were going to perturb planetary orbits

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Neat.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
What movie is that from?

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Melancholia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kP-vuOy8cU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hey everyone scared of an asteroid doing that to us. gently caress the universe EARTH IS THE ASTEROID. Take that space Bruce Willus!

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Bacontotem posted:

It's Unicron coming to eat Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om5rbtudzrg

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Tenzarin posted:

Hey everyone scared of an asteroid doing that to us. gently caress the universe EARTH IS THE ASTEROID. Take that space Bruce Willus!

isn't that a gas giant plowing into Earth though

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i just realized if this planet exists, it is so far away that unless we build something that can travel 20 times faster than New Horizons, i'll never see it up close in my lifetime

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

The Whole Internet posted:

i just realized if this planet exists, it is so far away that unless we build something that can travel 20 times faster than New Horizons, i'll never see it up close in my lifetime

:smith:

ill show it to you. get into the back of my cloaked spaceship

• Locked thread