Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
In September I"m spending 18 days in Europe. The major destinations are as follows:

Land in Amsterdam,
Car to Berlin,
Train to Munich,
Train to Florence,
Train or Car to Rome

Specifically I'd like to know what I can find on the road to Berlin from Amsterdam in the war department. I'd love to seem some of the Dragonteeth, or the Maginot Line if there's anything significant north of Luxembourg. I know about the Hermannsdenkmal and Kalkriese in the Teutoburg Forest.

I have to balance my own interests with my wife's (she is an art nerd). For example; one of the days in Amsterdam will actually be a trip to Lille for the citadel and then the Lions Mound at Waterloo, My wife will probably stay in Amsterdam for that and do art museum stuff. I'd like to get down to Verdun's citadel but Luxembourg is a bit out of the way to justify without something else to attract us.

Generally I'd like to know about museums in Berlin (I'm open to suggestions about Italy too but that is more in-hand than Germany). So far I have the Holocaust Museum, the Pergamom, and some Soviet Museum that a cousin likes to take visitors to.

FYI Munich is only because Oktoberfest coincides with our passage south. If we cant get lodging there then it will be skipped. I'm actually hoping we can't, I'm not that interested in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?

DiHK posted:

Generally I'd like to know about museums in Berlin (I'm open to suggestions about Italy too but that is more in-hand than Germany). So far I have the Holocaust Museum, the Pergamom, and some Soviet Museum that a cousin likes to take visitors to.

FYI Munich is only because Oktoberfest coincides with our passage south. If we cant get lodging there then it will be skipped. I'm actually hoping we can't, I'm not that interested in it.

A couple of other museums you might like to look into:

* DDR Museum - a privately funded museum giving visitors a glimpse into what life was like in the Deutsche Demokratische Republik (or East Germany); and
* Topographie des Terrors - an indoor/outdoor museum with a focus on the SS and the Third Reich.

For something a bit left-of-centre:

* Berliner Medizinhistorisches Museum - hospital/medical museum;
* Computerspielemuseum - historical video games museum; and
* Game Science Center - similar to the Computerspielemuseum, but with a focus on future gaming/interactive technologies.

There is so much more to Munich than Oktoberfest, but it's probably lovely timing if your visit coincides with the dates - September 17 to October 3 this year - and you're not interested in the Oktoberfest shenanigans at all (I don't blame you...).

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

SonicDefiance posted:

There is so much more to Munich than Oktoberfest, but it's probably lovely timing if your visit coincides with the dates - September 17 to October 3 this year - and you're not interested in the Oktoberfest shenanigans at all (I don't blame you...).

Welp, turns out we will be in Munich for 3 days at the begining of Oktoberfest.

All I've been able to find in some quick searches boils down to old buildings, gardens/parks, and a zoo. That's great and all but surely there must be something more interesting or one of those above is a secret gem.

Those museums you mentioned look great. The DDR was on the list already, that's the one the cousin likes to take visitors too.

I've also found the detour for the day we drive to Berlin, gonna stop in Hamburg for Minature Wunderkind!

• Locked thread