Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Have you raised Guinea fowl before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Have you raised Guinea fowl before?

I have 11 of those motherfuckers running around my back yard right now. And over the fence. And the neighbor's back yard. Despite trimming their wings. They all come back in the morning and the neighbor thinks they're awesome so, eh.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
We got baby guinea fowl atm tgeyre cool

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I kill animals to eat their meat, ask me about being an omnivore.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

What is Breakout?

Much like Velvet Sparrow does, I always pop open any eggs left over from a hatch. These guys started on Friday and it's now Monday morning with no signs of life, no sounds of peeping, and no rocking in any of the eggs. If anyone was left, they're either dead or undeveloped. These things happen when you hatch chicks.

Of all the things I do with the quail, breakout sucks the worst. Not only are you seeing a loss of money/meat/eggs when you break open a fully developed, unhatched, dead chick, you're seeing a tiny little guy who you couldn't have possibly helped. If they don't pip and you pop open the egg, you could break blood vessels and kill them that way too if they aren't ready to come out.

I do this because it helps me see when the chick died. If there was a temperature spike or a drop in humidity or some outward cause, the day it died on may help me pinpoint that. It may also help me see if there's developmental issues (one chick did have a deformity) within the flock. With my own eggs, I usually write which cage number they came out of. In the case of deformities, I always prefer knowing which cage it is. Too many deformities from one cage and the birds may be sick. They may not be getting proper nutrition and I may need to add something to their food, or a supplement. You know, that kind of thing.

But it still loving sucks.

We started with 53 eggs in the OP. We had 20 hatch unassisted and 1 hatch with assistance. 6 developed but did not make it to the end of incubation, though some were completely developed. The remaining eggs were either infertile or died early into incubation. 2 chicks have passed away, which is fairly normal. Of the 19 remaining, I expect to end up with about 15 grown to adulthood. This is usually why people do them 100+ at a time. These little guys are so small and so fragile that even if they stay away from their big, warm source of heat for longer than a few minutes, they can pass away.

In the next post I'll post links to pictures of breakout I just did for those that are curious or want to see. I won't post actual pictures though because I know some of you guys would be poorly impacted by that. Then I'm going and hosing out my poor incubator because blech.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:siren: Breakout Post, possibly :nms: if you don't want to see chicks that didn't make it out of the egg :siren:

http://i.imgur.com/Ua3QnD0.jpg

One of those eggs did hatch. I'm throwing all the shells off to the ducks. It's free calcium for them and it's not as if what's inside needs the shell anymore.

http://i.imgur.com/vWQSOFa.jpg

I figured this one wouldn't hatch but I tried anyway. It's an odd shaped egg and with quail, they usually don't. They usually aren't fertile, either.

http://i.imgur.com/Mkkn8cZ.jpg

It wasn't. In fact, there was almost nothing in that egg. Oddities happen.

http://i.imgur.com/gRpZijT.jpg

This chick was fully formed but never tried to pip. It's head was tucked against it's chest, but it had plenty of room in the egg. This chick was hours away from hatching and simply decided it wasn't interested in what was out in the world, I guess.

http://i.imgur.com/ZcmR0t8.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/NQtoXFr.jpg

This chick's beak did not develop properly. It stood no chance of getting out of the egg and had it, I probably would have euthanized it. A chicken shaped like this has a chance. A quail chick doesn't. Rather than starve to death (the chances of it being able to eat would have been slim to none), it never made it out of the egg.

http://i.imgur.com/nz3MV5e.jpg

This embryo stopped around day 4 or 5. On day 5 the incubator got nudged by one of the dogs and three eggs fell out of their turning rials. This was one of the eggs and the forming chick likely died due to that happening.

http://i.imgur.com/hTgfe87.jpg

This is another deformity. There's not actually a chick there. It's just a weird bundle of cells that decided to sprout feathers. It had 1 bone inside that was a wing bone.

http://i.imgur.com/NqMDlTp.jpg

And finally, we have this chick. This one lasted until day 15 or 16. Then it tried to pip early. It pipped straight into the membrane of the egg, causing it to drown in it's own blood. There's no way to prevent something like that from happening.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
do you know big percentage survive hatching in the wild

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

do you know big percentage survive hatching in the wild

To adulthood it's usually 8-20% of a hatch. Coturnix aren't particularly great mothers to begin with, they're tiny ground birds with poor flight ability and nearly everything snacks on them.

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:
Disappointed in the lack of baby quails hatching. If you couldn't get the webcam sorted, you could have at least taken video or photos of the live quails, why just the dead? Thread does not deliver.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hoplosternum posted:

Disappointed in the lack of baby quails hatching. If you couldn't get the webcam sorted, you could have at least taken video or photos of the live quails, why just the dead? Thread does not deliver.

We had the cam up for several hours. The next cam is on order but amazon does not appear to know where it currently exists. Time? Space? Who knows.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ugh. I'm sorry to say that the power to their heater died while I was outside doing evening chores and it was long enough to kill the whole hatch (about 45 minutes). I left to soft chirruping and came in to complete silence. Two were still alive but they passed while I was trying to warm them up. We'll give it another go some day, gbs. These names will be reserved for futurehatch. :(

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
You ended up killing them all. Like when that fat goon killed a kitten.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

You ended up killing them all. Like when that fat goon killed a kitten.

If "the heater lost power while I wasn't even in the house" means I killed them all then I guess :black101:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
sounds like a goon project alright

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

rip steven aviary

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Ugh. I'm sorry to say that the power to their heater died while I was outside doing evening chores and it was long enough to kill the whole hatch (about 45 minutes). I left to soft chirruping and came in to complete silence. Two were still alive but they passed while I was trying to warm them up. We'll give it another go some day, gbs. These names will be reserved for futurehatch. :(

lmao

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
well thanks for the baby bird carcass pics i guess

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
rip

are you still going to eat them

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Hogge Wild posted:

sounds like a goon project alright

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Not like its the first time someone from GBS killed a chick

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Lol oh dear

The Whoreax
Sep 7, 2008
I speak for the wood.
lmao goon project complete

seriously though farming is a pretty cool thing to be able to do and i will be waiting for your next attempt.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Not like its the first time someone from GBS killed a chick

As bummed as I am, this made me laugh. So thanks, dude.

I can't tell you how many hundreds (maybe even thousands at this point) of quail I've raised. This is the first time I've ever lost an entire hatch like this. Of course it's the time I do something public.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

unlike that weird hitler anime i am actually curious to see a video of you killing the birds humanely and possibly even dressing them. Please video it for those of us who are not insane.

e: oh poo poo they all died? bad luck.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
This is the only fitting end to this story. I mean besides a carbon monoxide leak tonight that kills her.

The only living things that deserve to freeze to death are the homeless.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Three Olives posted:

This is the only fitting end to this story. I mean besides a carbon monoxide leak tonight that kills her.

The only living things that deserve to freeze to death are the homeless.

When did you lose your condo?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
rip in peaces little birbs

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the weird part is OP is a self hating vegetarian lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
they died as they lived: useless and stupid. truly the goon bird.

• Locked thread