Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
huh
This poll is closed.
Caldor 41 3.87%
Gimbel's 31 2.92%
Circuit City 67 6.32%
KB Toys (thansk Romney) 103 9.72%
Blockbuster Video 76 7.17%
Hollywood Video 64 6.04%
Kiddie City 24 2.26%
Service Merchandise 59 5.57%
Contemp Casuals 25 2.36%
Deb 29 2.74%
Kinney Shoes 26 2.45%
Steve and Barry's 30 2.83%
Sam Goody 60 5.66%
The Wall 33 3.11%
Eckerd Pharmacies 38 3.58%
Suncoast Video 69 6.51%
Roy Rogers 36 3.40%
Comp USA 100 9.43%
goku 149 14.06%
Total: 322 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper posted:

And yet Radio Shack continues to shuffle on into eternity.

when all of the old landlines, answering machines, radios, clocks, battery chargers that old people bought back when radio shack sold those things break, they'll return to radio shack to buy a new one and are instead offered a cheap prepaid phone plan for only $20! dollars a month. or are you looking for something less utilitarian? we have these samsu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
CIRCUIT CITY III: RETURN OF CIRCUIT CITY
"Just when you thought the retail nightmare was over.. they're back and this time they want to be Apple!"

nigga crab pollock posted:

when all of the old landlines, answering machines, radios, clocks, battery chargers that old people bought back when radio shack sold those things break, they'll return to radio shack to buy a new one and are instead offered a cheap prepaid phone plan for only $20! dollars a month. or are you looking for something less utilitarian? we have these samsu

I thought Radio Shack was closing down and most of it's stores went under.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

right? all I could think reading that was 'why would I go to your store to buy poo poo online instead of just buying poo poo online from home if I can't even look at said poo poo first.'

how are you not probated lmao? someone call the paramedics, a loving dog may be lying on the floor with a broken hip

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
what about GoodGuys! my favorite GoodGuys! memory was when the one a few miles from my house got taken over by a bunch of armed asian dudes who took a bunch of hostages, killed a few and then i think one of them got noscoped by a police sniper or something. it closed and reopened as a circuit city. i think it's a mexican supermarket now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Sacramento_hostage_crisis

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013

milkingmycow posted:

I swear I saw an open and operating Radio Shack in downtown Philly a few weekends ago. There's some employee testimonial about the hosed up corporate culture. Read it here a year ago or so when they were going out of business.

The Philly store is like the main one in the NE region or something, and I think it's still open, along with like two stores in NJ. I worked for RadioShack for a year, basically the entire year before they went bankrupt.

My manager was good at his job, and my roommate who worked there with me was too, everyone else was total poo poo. And when corporate would come in you could tell they knew the end was nigh. Had to rearrange the store every month basically, desperately trying to appeal to different demographics I guess.

The upside was it was the easiest job I ever had, essentially did nothing so I can't complain. Oh and we opened at 4AM on Black Friday but no one showed up til 11.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Blockbuster was the single best place to buy used games for consoles. See Blockbuster would buy a poo poo ton of a new game when it first came out for rental purposes. Then after words would basically do an aggressive sale on them used to clear up their inventory, so they would have room for the NEXT games they were buying to rent out. They were just trying to get the drat things out of the store, and if they didnt sell in a couple of weeks would discount them again. So you could easily buy a pretty decent game for 5 to 10 bucks less used than whatever Gamestop was offering.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

anglachel posted:

Blockbuster was the single best place to buy used games for consoles. See Blockbuster would buy a poo poo ton of a new game when it first came out for rental purposes. Then after words would basically do an aggressive sale on them used to clear up their inventory, so they would have room for the NEXT games they were buying to rent out. They were just trying to get the drat things out of the store, and if they didnt sell in a couple of weeks would discount them again. So you could easily buy a pretty decent game for 5 to 10 bucks less used than whatever Gamestop was offering.

i have a game from blockbuster that was like ten bucks that's worth 300 now lol

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
It was great when the vhs to dvd transition happened. I got so many movies for under $1 each.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Thunder Moose posted:

MicroCenter>CC>BB>Radio Shack

This was me going to MicroCenter and Fry's for the very first time a few years back: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :dance:

Keep in mind I had moved from a city that only had a Best Buy, H.H. Gregg and a smattering of local computer shops after the local Circuit City and CompUSA folded.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

the great deceiver posted:

what about GoodGuys! my favorite GoodGuys! memory was when the one a few miles from my house got taken over by a bunch of armed asian dudes who took a bunch of hostages, killed a few and then i think one of them got noscoped by a police sniper or something. it closed and reopened as a circuit city. i think it's a mexican supermarket now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Sacramento_hostage_crisis

CompUSA bought them and then died.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Edgar posted:

I went to a radio shack recently, it's like the phone kiosk at costco had their own store.

There are independently owned radio shacks, my childhood friends dad owns one. I went in there recently and there was a fuckin trio of old dude sittin at a table in the back takin some poo poo apart and fuckin with a cheeseboard. He has a small display of the required cellphone horseshit. It was like a Brigadoon to the 1980s and I regret walking out of the store back into this twitter infested hellhole that now passes for Urth

anglachel posted:

The risk you ran with this is at least with cart-based games, all the runs with hosed memory chips would slowly end up at rental places. I bought a WWF NO MERCY from a secondhand store or something and it kept dumping the savegame so I rented it from a Bestbuy, swapped the sticker and returned the game. A lot of poo poo I rented suffered from scratchydisk, cart abuse or just bad production runs

A Stupid Baby fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 28, 2016

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Microwaves Mom posted:

Do you frequent the places she works at, considering buying very expensive things with your actual job money? Then deciding to get it on amazon for 100 bucks less instead?

the only one of those worth going to in 2016 is Microcenter and that's only for a cable or device or something I don't want to wait two days for

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Correct!

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Welcum back Circuck lovely :unsmigghh:

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

the only one of those worth going to in 2016 is Microcenter and that's only for a cable or device or something I don't want to wait two days for

hell i'd rather wait 2 days than pay 60 bucks for a 6ft hdmi cable.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
contempo casuals lol. my dead, gay, goth babysitter used to drag me there after school.

i can't wait until hot topic and spencer's gifts are added to this poll. arrogant mall bullies. :smith:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
SO an aspiring new company bought the rights to Circuit City name because they knew it would get them more attention and wow look at that GBS did exactly what they hoped for :toot:

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I wish I could have been a fly on the wall in that board room full of baby boomer idiots trying to decide on how to make Circuit City appeal to millennials

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Shmoel acknowledged his goals are lofty, but has a seasoned, 20-person team in place to help execute them, including former RadioShack franchise personnel, expatriates from other major chains, and a retail aficionado in Liniado.

Yes hire the experts that ran RadioShack to come run your idiotic millennial oriented dumpster fire.

I love their private label goods are all pictures of poo poo that would have been popular stocking stuffers for Christmas 2010. Maybe in 2-3 years they can offer hoverboards that catch fire during unboxing.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Voted for circuit city because it's the only store in the list I've been in.

Also Goku, whether you like it or not. *Raises hands to give spirit energy*

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sleeveless posted:

SO an aspiring new company bought the rights to Circuit City name because they knew it would get them more attention and wow look at that GBS did exactly what they hoped for :toot:

I'm still not going to do what they really want in the end though. I'm not going to go to their store to buy stuff online.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

mazel tov

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Circuit City was amazing, they let you get a $50 no hassle three year warranty for your ipod and you could bring it in to be repaired and if they couldn't you got a free brand new version instead.

So by the end of three years, I would go in and say the battery life was half of what it used to be. No problem, we can't fix that its two generations behind, heres the latest generation ipod for free. Want a new 3 year warranty for $50 bucks? Sure.

Good poo poo.

I put them under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hell yeah nailed it

• Locked thread