Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I cast my vote for P999 Everquest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
op have you thought about not playing video games?

Christopher
May 29, 2006
OP, I also think P99 might be your best bet. You'll likely notice during your 7-day free WoW stint that, if you're looking for the sort of immersion and social content that vanilla WoW had, you're going to be very disappointed. All of the dungeon running up to heroics has been reduced to a few minutes of plowing through trash mobs with almost no teamwork required whatsoever. You'll almost exclusively use the dungeon finder so you are very unlikely to develop any relationships of substance aside from a few seconds of "gg" or everyone rallying to kick an afk/douchey party member. Also, as others have mentioned, FFXIV is a beautiful game with lots of depth but most classes do end up having very many buttons to press and end-game content can be quite twitchy with getting in and out of telegraphs.

EQ P99 however is almost never twitchy. You'll have to react fast to trains and big mobs you can't handle but overall it is a very relaxed game in terms of skills. Most importantly, you'll make friends in game very quickly with a decent enough personality. Soloing can be done but the game is very much built around group content and working together is where the game really shines. It's one of the few games available where you'll make friends from the beginning that you'll potentially play with for weeks/months if you're leveling at similar speeds.

The downsides, as mentioned before, are the cruel leveling mechanics and outdated graphics. I found, for myself, that the grind became less of a thing when I stopped focusing on leveling and focused more on getting into groups, exploring, trading, and just having fun. The rigid graphics also seemed to disappear after a few hours and I discovered that the game, in certain places, can actually be quite beautiful.

There are a few other newer options out there that I'm aware of that do have similar qualities but some are still in development and others have very poorly implemented cash shop and RNG mechanics that serve no other real purpose other than to rob their impulsive/feebleminded members.

Good luck on your search. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Christopher fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 2, 2016

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
FFXIV is a bad idea. Even if you go for the more static classes. Progressing through the game is tied to dungeons, all of which feature bosses, and they can get pretty technical, requiring you to move around the battlefield a lot, or die. And already at level 20 there is a boss fight with a DPS check that, if you don't meet, will instantly wipe the party.

Try SWTOR, OP. You can even get started for free. There are enough abilities to fill multiple action bars, sure, but you don't have to use that many abilities, and you'd still be more competent than most folks playing the game. The combat never gets so hard as to instantly kill you if you don't move out of the bad. If it does, it's on end game content that you don't have to do. And there is enough content to last you a long while. I don't recommend that you play it for free long term though, their F2P model is best seen as a Trial. There are also nice goons playing it (mostly on the Empire side) that can help you out.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
ToR is a decent single player game these days if you're willing to drop 20 for the latest expansion (always buy the latest one, you get the ones that came before for free when you do) and some extra to lift the worst restrictions. Don't know about all the classes but on my Trooper I need three buttons for single target, one for AoE and an interrupt. Since their companion overhaul those are hugely helpful too and can be murder machines you barely have to worry about.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
lol at people seriously suggesting P99

a game that has serious design issues that at least two games were launched saying we ain't everquest

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
My entire undistinguished mmo career is based around a razor naga and ahk (maybe a correlation maybe not).

Ffxiv requires some positioning skill. Swtor requires none and is an ok game. Roll a sniper on swtor and get a naga. Join a guild. Most of these games require no competence these days anyway.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

a game that has serious design issues that at least two games were launched saying we ain't everquest

say that poo poo to my face fucker, not online.
:colbert:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Third World Reggin posted:

Wanna be forced to dual box to level up in empty zones by yourself for 60 hours? Lets(as in you) play Everquest!

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Wanna be forced to dual box to level up in empty zones by yourself for 60 hours? Lets(as in you) play Everquest!

I hate to :goonsay: but Project99 does not allow boxing and has about 1k-2k active people on every single day. The world is not as large as EQlive either so it makes every zone jam packed with people

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Everquest 1 back in the day and by extension P1999 was at its worst if you couldn't find a group and didn't have the means to 2 box or partner up or solo.

Back in Velious/Luclin era EQ1 I played a Wizard which was not immensely desired for groups like chanters/bard/clerics, but the class gave me freedom to tool around while LFG and either solo ( root/kite nuking was less than optimal and quad kiting was super dangerous, but the option was there) or port people around for cash since this was back in the day before Plane of Knowledge trivialized world travel.

The big problem was sometimes the LFG process could be a multiple hour affair. Once you got a group there was also no telling how long people would hold together. You could make the trip though multiple dangerous areas, (Any EQ1/P1999 vets Remember running from Skyshrine to Dragon Necropolis? Through the underwater dungeon full of sirens that strip all your buffs, charm you, and drag you underwater to drown? Remember The Deep? The Grey?), make it to your group, get settled in with a handful of mob kills and suddenly the cleric goes linkdead?

To be fair, for a game with comparatively glacially paced combat with less combat buttons to hit in general there was a big emphasis on being able to handle your poo poo well. Bards and Enchanters in particular were incredibly frantic and required you to be on point with your tank/healer in ways that you don't see in modern MMOs.

That all being said, I did try going back to P99 a year or two ago and I couldn't bear to bring myself past level 10 or so. I bailed after that when I remembered the leveling pain that was bound to be heading my way after that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
When I leveled up my warrior in EQ1, I would stay in this kunark dungeon for weeks. My character in game never saw video game day light. It was like inception but with computers in 1999. I would get like a bubble of exp a day or something.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Yay ignorance!

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
I never played everquest, but I could read nerds arguing about it all day.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If you think a 60% mount in wow is slow, lets see how fast you can run in everquest.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Seconding the SWTOR suggestion.

SWTOR is essentially a singleplayer game that requires an online connection.

Leveling is very forgiving, there is virtually no gear requirements and there is no grinding. My Bounty Hunter just finished the pre-expansion storyline and was level 58 afterwards. (Before the expansions the level cap was 50, the 1st expansion increased the cap to 55, the 2nd the cap to 60) Basically i am already halfway through the 2nd expansion pack, in terms of levels, with just finishing the first storyline.
I have also never grouped, as that is not required at all for experiencing the storyline.

I use like 6 different buttons while playing, if you don't count the self buff (once per hour) or the quicktravel (hearthstone in WoW) button.
The game has a huge amount of buttons and ability bloat but almost all the buttons are either for pvp (cc removal and similar), stance buttons that you would only use in hard group content, crowd control buttons from a bygone era when gameplay was harder, or simply redundant buttons that really should have been combined into fewer buttons. I reviewed all my hotbars the other day and literally removed 2 entire bars of buttons because i had never used those buttons while playing.

EDIT: I got interrupted during my posting so i completely forgot the important parts for the OP: SWTor is easy. Very easy. The companion you get that can either heal, tank or dps for you is very powerful. (more powerful than yourself at any of the roles i'd say) which adds another layer of security when playing. You don't need to worry about having to quickly reach for the cc button or your self heal because your companion takes care of all that. You can even go so far as to afk in the middle of a fight and your companion can likely finish the job, as long as you aren't fighting 2 superelites at the same time or something. It is primarily a game for the storyline (and hey, its star wars!). If you like Bioware RPGs you will like SWTor.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 19, 2016

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
I want an open world crafting game with a scifi background like SWG or Fallen Earth

I guess I could play the relaunch of SWG

or even Fallen Earth is still up

But I just wish there was something current

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

The Repopulation?

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
I'd suggest a human relationship OP.

Actually not trolling. I thought games were The poo poo until I found a fine rear end honey. Turns out doing stuff with a pretty girl is better than grinding games (insert your own grinding joke here).

Maybe you think it's out of your reach to have this kind of relationship, but if you have enough money to pay for a monthly game I promise there is a nice girl out there for you! There are a whole lot of women in the world.

edit: if you're already a step ahead of the game and mixing having a fine rear end honey with still being able to play MMOs then please teach me your ways DDDDDD:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

psymonkey posted:

edit: if you're already a step ahead of the game and mixing having a fine rear end honey with still being able to play MMOs then please teach me your ways DDDDDD:

I'm not the OP but I met my wife irl in WoW, best of both worlds

The trick was to yell a lot in Ventrilo and be an overbearing rear end all the time, apparently.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Play dark souls and enjoy not being a slave to MMOs any longer

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Are non-MMOs an option? Because Diablo 3 might be what you are looking for.

Why play Diablo 3 when Grim Dawn just released their release build today?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

OP have you tried Guild wars 1? You're limited to 8 abilities, and there is no action combat, unlike Guild Wars 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Why play Diablo 3 when Grim Dawn just released their release build today?

Grim Dawn is a game, Diablo 3 is a condensed MMO autism simulator. If he's asking for MMOs he's more likely to want that than an actual game.

But seriously just play any of the dark souls games

• Locked thread