Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

plus they tended to be cavalry with heavy lances so I mean lol samurai

lmao samurai didn't even have shields. fairly certain a man at arms could own them even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

my dad works at chess and i'm already playing chess 3

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Parallax Scroll posted:

my dad works at chess and i'm already playing chess 3

Whaaa? No way! Do you get to play as Knuckles?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

Whaaa? No way! Do you get to play as Knuckles?

duh, of course you do

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Bobert Bobertson posted:

lmao samurai didn't even have shields. fairly certain a man at arms could own them even

europeans were using cannons and poo poo for hundreds of years before the Portuguese introduced them to Japan in like ~1550. put a European army circa 1400-1500 against a Japanese army and it'd be no contest probably. Sure they had primitive hand cannons they took from the Chinese but that's nothing on a good artillery piece.

that island evolution thing is real, that's why when rats/cats are introduced to random islands they usually end up killing everything on there.

FishionMailed fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 29, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

duh, of course you do

A: Why are the pawns rings?
B: Why are both of the sides heroes instead of one side being Robotniks?
C: Why the gently caress would sonic, the fastest character, be the king when the king is most famous for being only able to go one space at a time while sonic is famous for moving fast?
D: How do you tell which piece belongs to which side?

The entire game seems exceptionally poorly conceived.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 29, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
This thread is about game mechanics. Please keep the head canon posts in the appropriate thread.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014

Applewhite posted:

A: Why are the pawns rings?
B: Why are both of the sides heroes instead of one side being Robotniks?
C: Why the gently caress would sonic, the fastest character, be the king when the king is most famous for being only able to go one space at a time while sonic is famous for moving fast?
D: How do you tell which piece belongs to which side?

The entire game seems exceptionally poorly conceived.

having sonic as a queen would confirm a lot of furry fanfics

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I'm confused about the moving towers

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Luvcow posted:

They turn into rock monsters to move.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Luvcow posted:

in shatranj, the rooks are called war chariots, or rukhs, and Persians armored and decorated them to resemble fortresses, and when it was imported to the west through Italy the word rukh looked like the Italian word rocca, for fortress, so they ended up looking like castles

Applewhite posted:

this too

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Applewhite posted:

theres so much i still need to learn about history

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i would be impressed with a chess master that could play Taikyoku shōgi with any kind of skill. it was invented in the 16th century. it is played on a 36x36 grid, each side has 402 pieces, with 253 distinct move sets (and each piece is double sided, with an upgraded version on the back with different moves :psyduck:). to put that in perspective, chess is played on a 8x8 board and each side has 16 pieces, with 6 unique move sets:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taikyoku_shogi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c0Y26iTPSM

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
This is the only game of chess you ever need to watch to understand it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_g_ZbGquSM

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u75rnWGnDME

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Rutibex posted:

i would be impressed with a chess master that could play Taikyoku shōgi with any kind of skill. it was invented in the 16th century. it is played on a 36x36 grid, each side has 402 pieces, with 253 distinct move sets (and each piece is double sided, with an upgraded version on the back with different moves :psyduck:). to put that in perspective, chess is played on a 8x8 board and each side has 16 pieces, with 6 unique move sets:

Apparently autism has been around since at least the mid 16th century.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Germstore posted:

bullshit, they weren't even vaccinating people back then

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
so apparently queens were historically the deadliest warriors on the battlefield...

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Luvcow posted:

theres so much i still need to learn about history

Rook to E7 RxQ

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Applewhite posted:

Rook to E7 RxQ

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Rook to E7 RxQ

Not visible, blue King's raging hard-on.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Germstore posted:

that, or robots. playing a single game of Taikyoku shōgi would be like playing 20 games of chess at once, but in each game the pieces have different moves

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

it would prob be pretty easy to cheat in taiyoku shogi. like you move a few pieces when the other guy's not looking, how would he even notice

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Parallax Scroll posted:

it would prob be pretty easy to cheat in taiyoku shogi. like you move a few pieces when the other guy's not looking, how would he even notice

He'd notice because he's an idiot savant with an eidetic memory, which is the only type of person who could enjoy it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Parallax Scroll posted:

one of the rules is, if you move a piece incorrectly and your opponent catches you then you instantly lose

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Rutibex posted:

it has a piece called the flying cock

goty

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Rutibex posted:

one of the rules is, if you move a piece incorrectly and your opponent catches you then you instantly lose

an acceptable risk

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

it has a piece called the flying cock

goty

the chicken general is also a bit questionable

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So what are all these animals going to war or was "chicken general" a real rank in the Japanese army?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
chickens could easily dodge a katana and were actually worshipped as gods, much like cows in india or goats in china

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

So what are all these animals going to war or was "chicken general" a real rank in the Japanese army?

i can only assume this is the 16th century japanese equivalent of Warhammer

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

i can only assume this is the 16th century japanese equivalent of Warhammer

Too bad they completely missed out on Warhammer's major appeal: the richly detailed miniatures.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Rutibex posted:

Rolemaster: The Board Game

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Applewhite posted:

Rook to E7 RxQ

Another Applewhite vore post? smdh

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I played a lot of LEGO Chess growing up and I loved it. My favorite set was the pirates.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dr Cheeto posted:

I played a lot of LEGO Chess growing up and I loved it. My favorite set was the pirates.

Could you construct your own pieces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Applewhite posted:

Could you construct your own pieces?

No, but I remember there was a unique, short video clip for every possible capture. Like, a pirate pawn would dig a pitfall and put a big X on it so when the other guy would try to dig up treasure they'd fall in and the culprit would look smug as poo poo.

All the various pieces had their own cute idle animations and such.

I'd probably find it extremely annoying if I wasn't an actual child at the time.

• Locked thread