Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

Someone always chooses pale ones or some other giant militia, and I Just Don't Get It.
Sometimes you just want to slam the door on someone's dreams as fast as possible while they're out of position.

Pale One militia at 6g2r each for 3.4 siege power you can lead anywhere in the world (including UW) without any food are really good for that, especially since pretty much every nation that's been competently drafted is going to feature some kind of teleporting, cloud trap, or storm-immune flying commander for very quick relocations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Speleothing posted:

Now that three people have posted, I feel like I can start commenting.

SloppyMilkshake
Not sure about the Humanbred (372), the LA version (984) is identical and costs 12g instead of 14 (whoops). It doesn't look like there are many F mages in this game, but they're still good light infantry, could have gone for axe throwers or turans if you wanted to give up the tower shield, but I'm guessing you didn't. More interesting is your choice of Colossi Warrior, since there are also flying bodyguards with magic weapons you could have taken: probably much more effective in an assassination and pair well with your flying priests. Not sure if you've got a plan for the big guys or what. I do really like your Sauromancer/Illuminated One/Dai Oni combo. That's going to be good. And you snatched illithids pretty quick.

haha oops totally hosed up on that humanbred vs abysian infantry. that would actually make a difference during expansion, oh well :shurg: by far the most common thing the colossi will encounter is bugs so w/e i'm sure they will be fine. i just want them to guard the guys what have troops/gear/gems anyway. also for some reason i thought they have fire resist but they don't oops.

also how do you not see the obvious value in mystes being foreign recruit. they're 8rp for 40g in mag3 that you build anywhere with a lab.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah, I don't understand the mystes criticism. You knock up to magic 3, and churn out some of the highest research:cost mages possible. The malus spooks people away, I think. Roland Jones had great success doing the same thing with Hags in the last game.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Speleothing posted:

MF James
Mystes are a weird choice that I wouldn't approve of, they have a research malus, even if they're spammable.

This is something of a spoiler for my LP, but you are entirely in the wrong here about them being bad, as later updates will show. As people have pointed out, Mystes have the same RP and gold cost as the hags I drafted here, and they are actually very, very RP-efficient for their gold cost if you take Magic 3. Combined with them not needing forts to be recruited, and you can get an insurmountable research lead with them by spamming them from a few provinces. The research malus is a distraction; their efficiency, particularly at that ridiculously low cost, is still almost unparalleled, and unlike hags you can get them anywhere.

Seriously, cheap foreign recruit mages are game-breakingly good. I am going to need to get back into the update groove to show why but at this point I think they're one of the highest priority picks in a draft game. Research pretty much directly translates into power as long as you're actually using your mages, and foreign recruit mages get you much, much more research than pretty much any fort-bound options can compete with.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 10, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Roland Jones posted:

This is something of a spoiler for my LP, but you are entirely in the wrong here about them being bad, as later updates will show. As people have pointed out, Mystes have the same RP and gold cost as the hags I drafted here, and they are actually very, very RP-efficient for their gold cost if you take Magic 3. Combined with them not needing labsforts to be recruited, and you can get an insurmountable research lead with them by spamming them from a few provinces. The research malus is a distraction; their efficiency, particularly at that ridiculously low cost, is still almost unparalleled, and unlike hags you can get them anywhere.

Seriously, cheap foreign recruit mages are game-breakingly good. I am going to need to get back into the update groove to show why but at this point I think they're one of the highest priority picks in a draft game. Research pretty much directly translates into power as long as you're actually using your mages, and foreign recruit mages get you much, much more research than pretty much any fort-bound options can compete with.

Speleothing, download the mod and play as my nation till about turn 12-15 and you'll see how insane foreign recruit mages are, especially with my 375gold cost labs.

I will probably never make an owlquill or lantern, also my gems are not conducive to doing so, plus seriously, I'm going to get 7-8RP a turn for 45gp+ one time cost 375gp.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MF_James posted:

Speleothing, download the mod and play as my nation till about turn 12-15 and you'll see how insane foreign recruit mages are, especially with my 375gold cost labs.

I will probably never make an owlquill or lantern, also my gems are not conducive to doing so, plus seriously, I'm going to get 7-8RP a turn for 45gp+ one time cost 375gp.

Whoops, you caught my mistake there. But yeah, it's absurd; in RoughDraft it took me a little longer to get the machine going because hags need forests, but, like I said, we'll see some absurd research numbers soon enough.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Roland Jones posted:

Whoops, you caught my mistake there. But yeah, it's absurd; in RoughDraft it took me a little longer to get the machine going because hags need forests, but, like I said, we'll see some absurd research numbers soon enough.

I mean, I don't want to blow my load before the game starts, so uhh I'll keep track of my research and show you guys, but in test games it's loving dumb, obviously it won't be as insane in the Real Game, but i'll likely only be 3-5 turns behind my testing the first 10-15 turns.

Although this will all explode when my cap lab blows up and my first mage dies then my god dies and whoops game over or something dumb.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Please bear with my Dodgy Draft Decisions. As a preface, I am a very new player, so I tend to draft poo poo I've either used myself, or have had used against me. My aim was to build a somewhat all round nation that would survive any horrendous drafting decisions and hopefully last a decent amount of time ingame.

Bans:
White/black Centaur
Eagle King

These are obvious.

1st Pick - Mage #1 EA Pangaea Dryad
It lacks the multipaths the MA version has, but it is cheaper and like sloppy and ramc, I'm really getting them for the seduction. Having a recruit-anywhere seducer makes the act viable, and the fact that the Dryad is a H2 priest AND stealthy to boot is just icing on the cake.

2nd Pick - Mage #2 Mystic
These chaps will be my research goons. A bit more expensive, but the cheap recruit-anywhere stuff was gone by this point. They have great crosspaths and are excellent at battlemagic. As a bonus, they can be communioned for that extra punch.

3rd Pick - Mage #3 Camazotz
Mistake #1. To keep my options open, I wanted access to as many paths of magic as possible, and this guy looked like the ticket to my Blood/Death access. He also flies AND is stealthy AND is pretty cheap. What I didn't realise was that he is StR. :smith: These weren't too bad when I ran them in testing, so I'm hoping it will still work out.

4th Pick - Troop #2 (PD) - Communicant, Milesian Longspear, Centaur
The Communicant synergises with the Mystics and provides additional cheap communion fodder. I don't plan to recruit any of the Longspears at all, they're just there as PD. I took the centaurs as stealthy archers. My first choice was Rangers of Ulm, but those had been drafted away early. I considered Longbowmen as a second line archer choice, but the low resource one had been taken, and I had decided to play a low resource/high income scales, so I went for the centaurs.

5th Pick - Troop #1 - Sidhe Warrior, Velite
The Sidhe Warriors are Tuatha Warriors on a budget (again drafted away by this point), stealthy, and can be amassed relatively easily. The glamour should make up for the fact that they are pretty squishy humans. I took the Velites purely for the tower shields to act as arrow-catchers.

6th Pick - Commanders - Ranger Captain, Guhyaka General, Runancha
The Ranger Captain is a cheap, stealthy commander. The Guhyaka General can lead sacreds and has pretty decent stats. The Runancha is a flying scout.

7th Pick - Cap-Only Troop - Palankasha
Mistake #2. By this time all the good Cap-Onlys had either been drafted or banned. I vacillated between Nemedian Warriors, Shadow Vestals, Yavanas and these guys. I eventually settled on these reasoning that they would give the biggest punch to counteract the fact that I have no cavalry and all my regular troops are pretty bog -standard humans. It was only after the picks were finalised that I remembered Magic Beings and Demons/Undead come under different leadership columns. gently caress

8th Pick - Cap-Only Commander - Oreiad
Expensive, but pocket thug with excellent utility. Rounds out my path access with nature and air.

9th Pick - National ability - Bandar Log Spells
Utility, utility, utility. My very first game (corn) was as BL, and I love all the BL national summons.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Z the IVth posted:

7th Pick - Cap-Only Troop - Palankasha
Mistake #2. By this time all the good Cap-Onlys had either been drafted or banned. I vacillated between Nemedian Warriors, Shadow Vestals, Yavanas and these guys. I eventually settled on these reasoning that they would give the biggest punch to counteract the fact that I have no cavalry and all my regular troops are pretty bog -standard humans. It was only after the picks were finalised that I remembered Magic Beings and Demons/Undead come under different leadership columns. gently caress

we talked about this briefly, but i don't think anyone will have a problem with a newer player getting a repick from the available stuff, especially over a special leadership issue. i don't have a problem with it, at any rate. does anyone else? (feel free to shoot me a message on irc if you'd rather it be semi-anonymous.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

jBrereton posted:

Sometimes you just want to slam the door on someone's dreams as fast as possible while they're out of position.

Pale One militia at 6g2r each for 3.4 siege power you can lead anywhere in the world (including UW) without any food are really good for that, especially since pretty much every nation that's been competently drafted is going to feature some kind of teleporting, cloud trap, or storm-immune flying commander for very quick relocations.

This. All of it.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

has everyone checked out there stuff so we can start the game on sunday june 12th???

MF_James
May 8, 2008

my stuff looks good I think, I dunno let's just loving do this.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

we talked about this briefly, but i don't think anyone will have a problem with a newer player getting a repick from the available stuff, especially over a special leadership issue. i don't have a problem with it, at any rate. does anyone else? (feel free to shoot me a message on irc if you'd rather it be semi-anonymous.

no one complained so i'm switching zivths camazotz for dastur

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

no one complained so i'm switching zivths camazotz for dastur

My stuff looks good otherwise. Will double check the last change tonight and confirm.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Remember not to patrol out the cybertaur that is in each province or I won't know what is going on, tia.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

:siren: DraftDodger :siren:
is up and accepting pretenders.
gross.wizardsex.club:10201

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Pls tell us all about your pretender and scales.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

reupload pretenders plz

Sloppy Milkshake fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 14, 2016

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Hello the draft game has started and is currently on like turn 35.

Two of the tree dryad nations are defeated maybe they will tell you about their gods and scales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
Totally forgot to do this earlier.

Bans: Zhayedan Spahbed 2629
Rephaite Warrior 2030

I had some sort of plan involving doing a lot of mage communions. Due to this all my mages
either had astral or had potential access to astral magic. Other than that I don't completely
remember why I made the choices that I did.

1st pick Mage 1 Airya Seraph 2604
I wanted access to an air 3 mage that I could recruit in any of my forts.
It also has access to astral so it could be a communion which was the other reason I took it.

2nd Pick Commanders Eunuch 805, Friar 148 , Markata Scout 1119
Picked the markata because it is a fairly decent scout.
The eunuch was picked because he has a patrol bonus which I thought would be helpful if I went heavily into blood.
The friar was picked because he is a stealthy priest that can be recruited anywhere that has a temple which I thought would go well
with two other troops I had intended to pick the Tuatha Warrior and the Khlyst.

3rd pick Mage 2 Goetic Adept 2200
I picked this mage to give me access to blood and a small amount of potential earth access and it had potential access to astral so it
could be used in a communion (noticing a pattern yet?).

4th pick Cap-Only Troop Tuatha Warrior 1753
They are sacred, have glamour and are stealthy. They carry a bless well, they are good at expanding and could be lead by my also stealthy Friars.

5th pick Mage 3 Enarie 1181
It was about this point that I decided that I was going to take MA Ermor's national spells. I was going to need a death mage to make use of them.
I had hoped to get the marshmaster but that had been taken already so I took the Enarie instead. D2 means that they can skeleton spam, summon the D2 mages that
Ermor's national spells gave me access to, they give me access to nature magic and have astral so they can be put in a communion for even more skeleton spam.

6th pick Cap-Only Commander Starets 1937
I honestly have no idea why I picked the Starets as my cap-only commander. I went back and forth for ages over which mage to take for it and eventually chose the
Starets but I honestly cannot remember why.

7th pick Troop 2 Alae Legionnaire 663 (PD), Khlyst 1921, Samurai Archer 1239 (PD)
I picked the Alae because the few times I have played Sceleria I have found them to be pretty good at expanding.
The Khlyst was picked because it is stealthy and causes unrest.
The Samurai Archer was picked just to be PD I don't plan to recruit them at all.

8th pick Troop 1 Longspear 62 Tower Guard 1642
I don't remember why I picked the longspear.
I picked the Tower Guard because their castle defense makes it harder to siege down any castles I had. I also wanted a troop with a crossbow.

9th Pick - National ability Ermor Spells
I am the one who picked this before Sloppy could get it. I took 6 death gems as my gem income and have spent the game spitting out death mages.

Pretender Teotl of Rain he has access to the magic paths I wanted.

• Locked thread