Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
Animal Farm. Partly because of the story and partly because the teacher had us analyze it to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Secks Cauldron posted:

Animal Farm. Partly because of the story and partly because the teacher had us analyze it to death.
Animal Farm is great though?

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

symbolic posted:

Animal Farm is great though?
I know it's a well-crafted and important piece of literature but I hate that story so much.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Secks Cauldron posted:

I know it's a well-crafted and important piece of literature but I hate that story so much.
don't tell me you can't appreciate a litter of piglets (?) getting ripped to shreds by dogs commanded by pigs

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

LadyPictureShow posted:

Ah, thanks! Looked up the summary on wikipedia, and yep, that's the one.

I'm not hating on Hemingway trying to be 'cool', I just don't care for the fact that all his stuff is just bleak as Hell. I dunno, I do like books with downer subject matter, but I just don't care for his writing.

if hemingway is too bleak for you then you can't read about half of all classics ever written because he doesnt have a single book anymore bleak than cormac or half the russians

may i recommend redwall?

Lankiveil
Feb 23, 2001

Forums Minimalist
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51167.So_Much_to_Tell_You

I didn't know that rambling E/N was a mandatory part of the curriculum.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

extra stout posted:

if hemingway is too bleak for you then you can't read about half of all classics ever written because he doesnt have a single book anymore bleak than cormac or half the russians

may i recommend redwall?

I dunno man, one of my all-time favorite books is Johnny Got His Gun, and that's p. much about a dude that got reduced to a torso with no face in WW1. Just not a fan of Hemingway, I guess.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Nooner posted:

the worst was like this 12 page derail about how much better sex was in victorian england because people didnt just run around loving all willynilly like they do now so it was special and super good and it actually meant something.

LOL what

There was SO MUCH prostitution in Victorian England, it wasn't even illegal until 1886. Plus, the age of consent was 13 until 1885. Think about that. :barf:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

extra stout posted:

may i recommend redwall?

I like redwall, at least when i was alot younger. it was animals killing other animals with sword fights. I think the first one is the best one and the rest of the series is ok to meh.

Secks Cauldron posted:

why didnt you like the story? not being a dick, just curious. i mean yeah, the ending is bleak as all gently caress, i liked it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

why didnt you like the story? not being a dick, just curious. i mean yeah, the ending is bleak as all gently caress, i liked it.
yeah, the last line still gets me: The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again: but already it was impossible to say which was which.

brotato
May 14, 2013

symbolic posted:

also whoever said Nectar in a Sieve, you were right. the only cool parts when one of her kids dies or there's famine or whatever are talked about in the simplest of terms, while an entire page is devoted to explaining what the crop harvest yielded. it may only be 180 pages but that's still far too long.
poo poo really? Reading that felt like such a slog I could've sworn it was longer.

I also hated Billy Bud. Another shorty that felt like it was five thousand pages long. Also the teacher wasn't super cool with us pointing out how homosexual it all was.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

the culminator posted:

Thats not the scarlett letter

The S-gently caress

Uh I guess Anthem then. Even as a high school libertarian that poo poo was insufferable.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

symbolic posted:

yeah, the last line still gets me: The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again: but already it was impossible to say which was which.

I was going through my "read the last page of a book first" phase in 8th grade when I read this, so knowing that the story was assuming talking animals this page confused the gently caress out of me until I read through the whole book for context.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

exethan posted:

a separate peace was super dumb

ahhh god im a piece of poo poo gently caress i killed my best friend who i also hate.

My favorite part of A Separate Peace was the part where our teacher insisted that there was absolutely nothing gay going on in the book. Certainly no homosexual undertones in there at all.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mind the walrus posted:

I was going through my "read the last page of a book first" phase in 8th grade when I read this, so knowing that the story was assuming talking animals this page confused the gently caress out of me until I read through the whole book for context.

animal farm was a warning against fat america

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
House of Seven Gables. Had to just read the cliff notes summary because I couldn't stand half of every chapter being dedicated to describing a windowsill or some other inconsequential poo poo

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good
My english teacher made us read Night by Elie Wiseal during my sophmore year and I thought it was pretty boring. We read Maus afterwards so that kinda makes up for it.

PantsandCola fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 7, 2016

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pansacola posted:

My english teacher made us read Night by Elie Wiseal during my sophmore year and I thought it was pretty boring. We read Maus afterwards to that kinda makes up for it.

Do they still teach night after all the Elie wiseal controversies?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Capoeira Capybara posted:

Skipped the whole thread to say "All Quiet On The Western Front". Like WWI might have been one of the most hosed up things that has ever happened, and that fucker still managed to make it into a very boring book.

If All Quiet bores you I wonder how anything can hold your attention because it's like a 200 page book with 3 or 4 big action scenes.

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

I disliked Equus, although a lot of the reason was because I had friends going through therapy for various reasons at the time and the '70s idea that psychiatry is inherently anti- ~*~ self-expression ~*~ made me roll my eyes.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

If All Quiet bores you I wonder how anything can hold your attention because it's like a 200 page book with 3 or 4 big action scenes.

It was a long time ago all I remember was a bunch of school buddies signing up and then the main character getting sniped. I retained nothing in between.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I remember the scene where the cowardly guy gets a medal because the officer needed to give somebody a medal and liked his mustache. I think that was in the movie tho.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
I did not realize the Scarlet Letter was so universally reviled. I remember hating it in high school, but was considering rereading it to see if I was just being an idiot teen.

I also did not know A Separate Peace was assigned so much. It was so mediocre and pointless and I have never heard anyone list it as a favorite or seen it referenced anywhere in anything. I assumed it was only a handful of schools assigning it.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It's assigned because it's overstuffed with trite symbolism that is easy for kids to write papers about and the subject matter is so innocuous and boring no parents can complain.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's a bog-standard coming of age story that deals with repercussions and death and heavy poo poo in a really approachable, simple way. It just also happens to be super boring and as standard "American novel of the 1950s" as it gets.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It also deals with handling sexual feeling towards your best friend even though you guys are the same sex.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Catcher in the Rye.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Tale of Two Shitties

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

FuturePastNow posted:

Tale of Two Shitties
that book is a blur to me now besides the graverobbing part and the ending

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

think i quoted someone talking about my antonia earlier, but aside from that, separate peace was also bad. only things i remember are "kid falls out of tree" and "homo-subtext", and i don't think we talked about the second at all.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
trannys: a study on wtf by rohl dahl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Red Minjo posted:

My favorite part of A Separate Peace was the part where our teacher insisted that there was absolutely nothing gay going on in the book. Certainly no homosexual undertones in there at all.

Same but with Moby Dick. Going to bed with a black dude was just something people did to save money on inns back in the day. And the sloppy blowjobs were surely just ishmael's curiosity about someone who was unique and strange by his reckoning.

• Locked thread