Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I am thoroughly enjoying this silliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Maybe the military would have stopped the invasion if they actually used those nukes to kill them.

The Hornet gun is more fun to use than to slowly kill guys. Maybe have alt fire shoot out a wide swarm like a grenade.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight
Episode 7: Who killed my chumtoad?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mgSqH90hQc

Side B - Courtesy of Hornet.

No new weapons collected but we get to (briefly) see what the alt fire on snarks do in SC.

MaNiAk fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 3, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I always wonder how those dinosaurs keep ending up in the water and they tend to spawn with those leeches.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Episode 8: Fun with portals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJmj1Hpt2Iw

New weapon collected

Gluon gun

• Primary fire: Fire continuous beam
  • Secondary fire: None
  • Ammo: Gauss battery module
Just like the gauss, the gluon gun is an experimental weapon. Firing it will create a powerful beam, which can be used to quickly sweep an area.

I never knew the real name of the weapon for years. I always called it the proton pack. Fun fact, its entity name is weapon_egon.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I always wonder how those dinosaurs keep ending up in the water and they tend to spawn with those leeches.

My lovely theory is that they must be leeches that grew up. Or you know, terrible quality control from Black Mesa.

MaNiAk fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 3, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Side B - Fixed your link.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Scalding Coffee posted:

Side B - Fixed your link.

thanks, i knew i hosed it somehow

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Gluon Gun is a fun weapon for Xen. It made the platforming semi-tolerable. Jump Packs are also fun. A good video.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Episode 8: We've gone beyond Black Mesa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkrX7BMXEBg

Nothing new, sorry.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I can't imagine why they cut a Combine version of a heavily scripted, multi-stage boss like that.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Episode 9: ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndOfaYxIsRA

Home stretch so we ain't got poo poo left.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I can't imagine why they cut a Combine version of a heavily scripted, multi-stage boss like that.

Can it really be called a boss, or more of a gate?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A boss that breaks down gates and can be killed by those stabber plants.

Can you trade medpack charges by throwing them?

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah, same button as any other ammo. It drops in units of 10.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Did you guys try the unstick command in that last video. I think it's like bound to L or J or something and I think it's in the command menu too. Also; are you gonna play any more campaigns? I recommend getting the Resident Evil one off the svencoop site because it includes a game mode where you have to barricade a house with lots of crap lying around while zombies come flooding in from the hedges..

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is in the OP. Maybe start with Megaman, Afraid of Monsters, or Zelda.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 2, 2016

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Episode 9: MLG grenades, overloaded engines, and stranger danger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-WloFpzgpI

Welcome to the end of Half-Life done in Sven Coop.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I remember this game solely because of the toonrun map series and the mappack that turned it into a semi-functioning RPG.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Good job, you killed MODOK.
I won't forget the game for being utterly broken to me. The Nihilanth fight was an endless death trap. I took damage every single time I landed in the water after using the trampolines.

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

I somehow managed to play through all of Xen without realizing that pools and tubes healed you until literally the last boss.

I'm still both disappointed and impressed with myself that I made it through with only the medkits I found on corpses. :downs:

So even with all your shenanigans you guys still have that one up on me. :v:

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Episode 13: We (mostly me) break a bunch of poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmklq_tiBCQ

Side B - Courtesy of Hornet. also some lovely post fix that didn't get used

New weapons collected:

Pipe wrench

• Primary fire: Club / repair
  • Secondary fire: Power swing
  • Ammo: None
The wrench is similar to the crowbar, but swings at a much slower rate. However, it does much more damage. Use the power swing to get especially heavy swings.
Tip: The longer you hold power swing before releasing, the more powerful the swing will be. There is a limit though.
Note: The pipe wrench can now repair your turrets, both sentry and mounted. It can also revive them.

Combat knife

• Primary fire: Slash
  • Secondary fire: Toggle electricity on/off (donors only)
  • Tertiary fire: Throw knife
The combat knife featured in Opposing Force acts as a direct replacement for the crowbar, and is officially available to other maps. It functions exactly the same as the crowbar, but has a higher attack rate due to its lower weight.
Tip: With the electricity on you also beat objects faster, but keep an eye on your HEV power.
Note: The new tertiary fire, where you throw your knife, is bound to MOUSE3 (middle button) by default. The command for this is +alt1

Desert Eagle

• Primary fire: Single shot
  • Secondary fire: Toggle laser pointer on/off
  • Ammo: .50
The desert eagle is a powerful pistol, but rather inaccurate in single fire mode.
You can increase the accuracy considerably by enabling the barrel-mounted laser pointer at the cost of a slower fire rate.
The rate of fire and accuracy is better than the .357 magnum and offers 7 shots, however less powerful.

Uzis

• Primary fire: Automatic fire
  • Secondary fire: Toggle between single/akimbo uzi
  • Ammo: 9mm
The uzi is a very fast submachine gun with a 32 round clip that does a lot of damage very quickly, however your ammo is used up very fast.
Doubled up you get twice the fire power, but twice the reload time.
Tip Akimbo uzis can only be acquired by special akimbo uzi items, or picking up someone elses uzi.
Note The gold uzis shown are only available to donors, and do considerably more damage than the standard grey ones. Donors can choose to use the grey ones, but still with the power level of the gold uzis.

I don't know what youtube did to its encoder but it seems to have broke the compression when uploading these videos, I tried a bunch of different methods but it still looks a little hosed up.

MaNiAk fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 23, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looking forward to more adventures of clipping through the floor. Opposing Force hated my existence.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Torch Grunt is the best

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Episode 14: Be-doop be-doop be-doop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TpkxW02Gyg

New weapons collected:

Displacer Cannon

• Primary fire: Single shot
  • Secondary fire: Self-teleportation
  • Ammo: Gauss battery module
Primary fire shoots a portal out of the cannon, secondary fire generates a portal around the user. The portals generate an AOE so they are useful for taking out multiple enemies at once.

Spore Launcher

• Primary fire: Short shot
  • Secondary fire: Long shot
  • Ammo: Spores
A creature from race X that fires spores from its mouth also thrown by shock troopers. The spore creates a large acid splash on explosion.
The spores will bounce for a distance, then stop. They explode on player/NPC contact or after 4 seconds of being fired.
This artillery support weapon is best used in open spaces to avoid hurting yourself.
Info Spores can be picked up from a small plant that creates them, but be aware that the plants don't like harsh treatment.
Warning The acid splash creates a large amount of damage. Be sure to stay clear of spores when they explode.
Warning Bouncing spores could bounce right back and explode in your face.

Barnacle Grapple

• Primary fire: Launch tongue
  • Secondary fire: Toggle between pull/rappel mode
The Barnacle is used to help players reach areas that are too high to jump. It can only attach to players, certain monsters, and certain Xen surfaces (as shown on the right).
The way the Barnacle grapple works is defined by the map creator. On some maps, it will only attach to small monsters. On others, it will pull monsters to you instead of the other way around.
Unique to the Sven Co-op version of the Barnacle grapple, players can either be pulled by the grapple, or be dropped slowly (rappel), depending on what mode is chosen.
Finally, the Barnacle grapple can also be used to eat monsters similar to a regular Barnacle. The difference is the grapple is much smaller, thus takes much longer to kill an enemy. This bite is only effective against very small monsters, such as headcrabs.
Note You can grapple onto your fellow players allowing you to, for example, boost another player onto a ledge then grapple up to the ledge yourself. Alternately, if you were on a ledge above a deep cavern, you could grapple onto a player and rappel to the bottom. You could even use the barnacle to hold onto another player as he swings through a tricky grapple course.
Tip You can swap between Rappel and Pull modes while the barnacle is attached to a surface, this allows you to bungee.

MaNiAk fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 23, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am sure the Displacer is Valve's passive aggressive excuse to kill greedy players. The pitfall trap is not the only way that gun killed me many times I used it.
No gun is better than the French Tickler.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am sure the Displacer is Valve's passive aggressive excuse to kill greedy players. The pitfall trap is not the only way that gun killed me many times I used it.
No gun is better than the French Tickler.
Don't you mean Gearbox? Also some lovely poo poo went down so the next video is going to be delayed.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Episode 15: The episode that got delayed by a cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zGr2LJ4wv0

New weapon collected:

M249 SAW

• Primary fire: Automatic fire
  • Secondary fire: None
  • Ammo: 5.56 mm
The M249 SAW (squad automatic weapon) is a powerful yet portable machine gun with a high firing rate and damage. It can be used to provide supporting fire for team mates. It has a belt of 200 5.56 mm rounds, but suffers high reload time.
Note The SAW has such a high recoil that it will knock the player backward while firing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Just about every map with soldiers ended up with them betraying me even if they were fighting aliens. Using the Displacer to spawn near them would make them pause for a bit and start shooting. Each map, I could hear them loudly taunting me no matter where they were.

The boss was crap. Pretty much a disappointment overall.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Episode 16: The episode that got delayed by a cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2CUUyEbE1A

Sorry for sitting on these videos for so long but I kinda lost all motivation for this LP when my cat died. But I'm back on it now.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

MaNiAk posted:

Episode 16: The episode that got delayed by a cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2CUUyEbE1A

Sorry for sitting on these videos for so long but I kinda lost all motivation for this LP when my cat died. But I'm back on it now.

I'm so, so sorry about your cat. I know how hard that can be.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sorry about your cat.
I had rose-tinted glasses on, as I don't remember the game being so drat wordy and seem rather lacking.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I'm sorry about your dear feline Maniak. That's rubbish, to say the least.

Really enjoying this LP though.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Episode 17?: I'm bad at keeping track of these titles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wga1gJbg_BU

We're coming to a close to the Half-Life 1 universe here. I may or may not have something else up my sleeve for the future.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Episode 18: I'm easily distracted from this LP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQbBnfE3Vc4

That's the end of the Half-Life 1 universe. We'll see you next adventure.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

MaNiAk posted:

That's the end of the Half-Life 1 universe. We'll see you next adventure.

Looking forward to it!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Still managed to die when I least expect it, like the cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This was really good. I quite liked how the mechanics changed after the barnacle gun was introduced. Also the goofy 4 person stringing fun that accompanied it.

• Locked thread