Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Last year someone suggested (seriously, as far as I can tell) that Squirrel Girl was designed to fail so that Marvel didn't have to keep making stuff with a female lead.

It was both dead serious and loving hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Last year someone suggested (seriously, as far as I can tell) that Squirrel Girl was designed to fail so that Marvel didn't have to keep making stuff with a female lead.

I love the idea of false flag comic books.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I love the idea of false flag comic books.

It was a plot by the Rand Corporation, in conjunction with Ike Perlmutter and the reverse vampires.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Travis343 posted:

I'm glad people like Squirrel Girl. I don't want to put people down for liking it. Just had to get that off my chest.

As long as I'm here, Deadpool is like the comic book version of Old GBS.

This opinion is acceptable, you're cool in my book.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

attn DrProsek

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well that plan backfired since women led books were among Marvel's top sellers last year.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

I'm glad people like Squirrel Girl. I don't want to put people down for liking it. Just had to get that off my chest.

As long as I'm here, Deadpool is like the comic book version of Old GBS.

I can respect that opinion as, while I like the book, I do find that all of North's characters sound a little same-y and his dialogue sounds unnatural at times (as though he's trying to force characters to fit punchlines into 4 panels :v:)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 26, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

:siren:Best Mutant Ever: Found!!:siren:

jfc, his speech balloons are little scrolls. :syoon:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Squizzle posted:

:siren:Best Mutant Ever: Found!!:siren:

jfc, his speech balloons are little scrolls. :syoon:

oldschool Comicraft was so good

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Backstory: My phone is dead after an inadvertent bath. I'm old and don't do the Facebook much, but it seemed the best way to get the message out that "hey, don't bother calling me until I can buy a new phone on payday". I have a carpool buddy and wanted to let her know, but we weren't FB friends yet, so I looked her name up. Found her, but it took a good hot minute of scrutinizing her features in the photos she posted to conclude that this sexy woman without glasses, slightly different hair, and a non-work outfit was actually the same gal I work with every night.

My point being: suddenly the "how does anyone not realize Clark and Superman are the same guy?" question has become moot for me. It happens in real life. :stare:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sup thread

I know absolutely nothing about comics. When I turned eight (or nine or ten, goddamn I wish this had a date) I went to see a movie with friends and afterward spent a few minutes in a comic book shop. There was an artist there and my two friends and I got to name our favorite superhero and he drew drew them. They chose Wolverine and Spiderman but they're lame as gently caress

Anyone recognize the signature? Was this an actual artist or some schmuck who could draw well? Estimated year was 1992-1994.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aliquid posted:

sup thread

I know absolutely nothing about comics. When I turned eight (or nine or ten, goddamn I wish this had a date) I went to see a movie with friends and afterward spent a few minutes in a comic book shop. There was an artist there and my two friends and I got to name our favorite superhero and he drew drew them. They chose Wolverine and Spiderman but they're lame as gently caress

Anyone recognize the signature? Was this an actual artist or some schmuck who could draw well? Estimated year was 1992-1994.

Looks like Art Nichols to me. Fairly regularly-used inker and sometimes penciller. Did some covers of DC's The Ray with Joe Quesada.

edit: Yup. Zoom in on the front cover to see the matching autograph. (you may have to scroll down to get to the original listing)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 26, 2016

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Chinaman7000 posted:

STAH thread makes me wonder, what's the actual best/most clever use of GL or any GL style power in comics. So you can create anything you think of, that's cool, there should be like a million great stories using that cleverly. Instead, the most iconic GL stuff seems to be more about being space cops or emotional warfare. I like Kyle and designs given to him were more interesting to look at but still feels like it hasn't been tapped that much as a concept.

My favorite use is from a Justice League story from the post-Giffen run when Maxima and Guy swindled some aliens. They apparently owned the deed to our galaxy and long story short, Maxima paid them off with a fuckton of gold or space gold or whatever it was. In actuality, she just mentally told Guy (who was using Sinestro's ring those days) to construct mountains of that stuff. The constructs would dissipate eventually, but the aliens would be long gone and supposedly wouldn't notice for years.

I miss Maxima. She never showed up in New 52, did she.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Gavok posted:

I miss Maxima. She never showed up in New 52, did she.

She was a supporting character in Supergirl before it was canceled.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Action Jacktion posted:

She was a supporting character in Supergirl before it was canceled.

Man. I liked what Supergirl was doing with some of its characters. Its version of Silver Banshee was actually a pretty cool idea.
Execution was kinda lacking over the whole series, but, eh, whatever.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

redbackground posted:

Looks like Art Nichols to me. Fairly regularly-used inker and sometimes penciller. Did some covers of DC's The Ray with Joe Quesada.

edit: Yup. Zoom in on the front cover to see the matching autograph. (you may have to scroll down to get to the original listing)

Thanks! :)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Squizzle posted:

attn DrProsek

Looking at Beef on Comicvine, has he genuinely been in way more stuff after he died than before? I've read New Mutants and X-Force and I think I've read most of Beef's appearances and it has all been Necrosha stuff.

(No, I didn't totally forget that I added "something with Beef in it" to my reading list, why do you ask :v:)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Attention Gavok:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Look at this

Look

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Attention Gavok:

Holy. gently caress.

Why does this even exist? Answer me!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

Holy. gently caress.

Why does this even exist? Answer me!

Well, as far as I can tell, it's originally from a 4chan "drawthread" where someone inexplicably requested it, and someone else thought it was weird enough to be fun to draw.

I'm sorry that that's possibly the worst answer I could give to that question.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Love the /co/ belief that nobody likes anything but meat n potatoes superhero books, so anything else is ☆fake pseudo activism☆

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

Love the /co/ belief that nobody likes anything but meat n potatoes superhero books, so anything else is ☆fake pseudo activism☆

Similarly I see people lament why DC is bothering to try to pick up new readers when the core meat n potatoes group are the only people who buy comics.

Good point, I guess nobody buys Marvel comics. After all, if I'm not buying a comic, there is no way anybody else is reading it despite sales numbers.

(In fairness going for the core audience would be better for DC than the DCYou middle ground where neither new nor core readers are buying DC in impressive numbers, but there is no form of media that survives with a model of "stop getting new folks, pray current fans live forever and never tire from our comics)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

DrProsek posted:

(In fairness going for the core audience would be better for DC than the DCYou middle ground where neither new nor core readers are buying DC in impressive numbers, but there is no form of media that survives with a model of "stop getting new folks, pray current fans live forever and never tire from our comics)

I think the idea is that they get to take their favorite characters with them, like an emperor's slaves to his tomb.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm so loving tempted to get a complete set of Warrior Magazine on eBay. It would be such a stupid decision. Anything I want to read from it I own in better quality. But man....it would be so cool to own.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the late 1980s and early 1990s, Marvel did mini-crossovers in their annuals. The most famous ones are Atlantis Attacks and the Evolutionary War (which were also the biggest) but there were others like Return of the Defenders, which I've just read (involving the Hulk, Namor, Dr Strange and Silver Surfer annuals), the Korvac Quest (the GOTG, Silver Surfer, FF and Thor annuals), Subterranean Wars (Avengers, West Coast Avengers, Namor, Iron Man, Hulk) and others.

For the most part, they were a bit of a drag, but I'm curious to know - were any of them especially good?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

In the late 1980s and early 1990s, Marvel did mini-crossovers in their annuals. The most famous ones are Atlantis Attacks and the Evolutionary War (which were also the biggest) but there were others like Return of the Defenders, which I've just read (involving the Hulk, Namor, Dr Strange and Silver Surfer annuals), the Korvac Quest (the GOTG, Silver Surfer, FF and Thor annuals), Subterranean Wars (Avengers, West Coast Avengers, Namor, Iron Man, Hulk) and others.

For the most part, they were a bit of a drag, but I'm curious to know - were any of them especially good?

I remember Assault on Armor City's being really, really terrible.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Backstory: My phone is dead after an inadvertent bath. I'm old and don't do the Facebook much, but it seemed the best way to get the message out that "hey, don't bother calling me until I can buy a new phone on payday". I have a carpool buddy and wanted to let her know, but we weren't FB friends yet, so I looked her name up. Found her, but it took a good hot minute of scrutinizing her features in the photos she posted to conclude that this sexy woman without glasses, slightly different hair, and a non-work outfit was actually the same gal I work with every night.

My point being: suddenly the "how does anyone not realize Clark and Superman are the same guy?" question has become moot for me. It happens in real life. :stare:

When I was in the military, I was in the weight management program and two times a week, my Major and I would go to a spin class during lunch. I would also never wear my glasses when I exercise as I hate getting sweat on them.

So we'd been doing this for a month or so and there was one other person in the class in the program (gotta get a paper signed by the instructor) and I always felt better that I wasnt the only one in the class who was doing that.

So for about two weeks Id been seeing this girl, she would come over to my dorm room after she got off work, she was spending just about every night over, etc.

Eventually, the other person and I both went up to get our papers signed at the same time and I could finally get a good look at her and see it was the girl I'd been dating.

I had only ever seen her outside of our duty stations, so I had never seen her with her hair up and not in civvies.

I asked her why she hadn't said anything up to that point and she said she thought i was embarrassed being in the program and didn't want to talk about it.

Basically when Clark Kent takes his glasses off, so does the rest of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

• Locked thread