Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I'm just glad they added in a bulwark against a worst case scenario situation with Brexit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

So what do we reckon Casey will finish on tomorrow after first count?

Irish Times has got an exit poll announced btw

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

8%. Big jump but not able to break the double digit mark.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

painted into a coroner posted:

8%. Big jump but not able to break the double digit mark.

I'm thinking 10%, expecting him to overtake the thumb.

I'm hoping the collective comments sections on all Irish websites break down into a frothy rage about the electorate and their love of the FFFG MSM robbing him

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I haven't been following closely, is there any compelling reason to vote for anyone besides Miggeldy?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

I haven't been following closely, is there any compelling reason to vote for anyone besides Miggeldy?

Peter Casey said travellers aren't an ethnicity and also are bad for house prices and also welfare scroungers are bleeding us dry and therefore has won over thejournal / Reddit / a large portion of twitter

I guess vote for him if your a oval office

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I should write a Journal.ie comment twitter bot

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
https://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/10/25/leader/

Casey leading in so many online polls is really odd. I really didn't think there were so many 4chan alt-right types in Ireland.

Unless its yanks voting in all the polls, I guess. Hopefully they they'll enjoy going 0 for 2 after the abortion referendum and this.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Never trust online polls. As mentioned, anyone from anywhere can put their name down for it. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people (there's a weird group of fash Irish Twitter accounts) just flood the polls by opening incognito tabs.

I would have been interested to see what shift Casey got in actual polling but no proper ones were conducted after the Traveller comments. I would hope that him admitting he doesn't pay any tax in Ireland would lose him support but that seems to have just been ignored?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

kustomkarkommando posted:

Peter Casey said travellers aren't an ethnicity and also are bad for house prices and also welfare scroungers are bleeding us dry and therefore has won over thejournal / Reddit / a large portion of twitter

I guess vote for him if your a oval office

Basically every bitter office worker who's been fed a diet of Newstalk and that scumbag Paul Williams during their hour long commute in the morning will vote for him, assuming they'll be bothered to vote. He'll finish 2nd/3rd I think.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Blut posted:

Casey leading in so many online polls is really odd. I really didn't think there were so many 4chan alt-right types in Ireland.

Unless its yanks voting in all the polls, I guess. Hopefully they they'll enjoy going 0 for 2 after the abortion referendum and this.
I wouldn't underestimate this, I'm not sure it's a sizable number of people but I've accidentally wandered into weird anonymous right-wing Irish Twitter a few times, and it's an odd place.

I don't get the attraction of Casey at all, I'm surprised that people seem so down on Gallagher this time around considering the support he had last time.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I don't get people's attraction to Gallagher let alone Casey and yet there it is.

Voted at 8 already. Come on BLASPHEMY!

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I can't see the Blasphemy ref failing tbh

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
How's turnout looking for the early risers amongst ye?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Blut posted:

These creeps tend to be both tech saavy and have a lot of time on their hands, I'd be surprised and annoyed if casey gets upwards of 5%.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I reckon he'll pull above 5% simple from the media impact he generated, still expect him to probably finish behind Ni Riada but maybe ahead of Gallagher based on the general lacklustre reception he got.

I might just be overly suspicious about Gallagher's polling results though as his campaign has been a wet fart

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Also lol at this FF councillor candidate in Tyrone mess possibly leading to disciplinary action against O Cuiv and Daly

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

kustomkarkommando posted:

Also lol at this FF councillor candidate in Tyrone mess possibly leading to disciplinary action against O Cuiv and Daly

Source?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1055741793659174912?s=19

This sounds less like a rogue action rather than a disorganised fiasco tbh

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/RuadhanIT/status/1055926472412708864?s=19

Casey on 21%

gently caress me

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Jesus Christ almighty

I only hope that that is because of low turnout. When voting today I was told that we were at 25%. Apparently the area was above average for the 8th too.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Rte broadly agrees

lol at Gallagher falling to fifth

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
On the one hand lol at Gallagher. Delighted he won't get his expenses back.

On the other, Casey jumping from 2% to 21% when he decided to start Trumping it up is very worrying. There will be undoubtedly lots of very interested, unscrupulous people taking note of that...

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've suspected for a while that the far-right/alt-right is lurking in the shadows of Ireland just waiting for a figure to mobilize them.

Angela Nagle probably has stuff to say about this, I should probably buy her book.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/3imear/status/1056542552193675265?s=19

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Well, that result was a fuckin disgrace. Renua offered casey leadership. I suspect there isn't enough money in it to keep him hanging around Ireland to actually go into politics full time.

Business as usual politics until next March?

In other Fash-watch news, the Irish proud boys had their facebook page shut down. Would love to behold an Irish proud boy in the flesh.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

There are Irish proud boys? What in the gently caress?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Apparently there was about 100ish members of the page. Probably the majority of the extremely online right in ireland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I'm not entirely sure the vote for Casey is a wholly new phenomenon, I've chatted to a couple of numpties who voted for him (I am Inishowen adjacent after all) and it all seems very much like the indo vote reflex that gives us the Healey-Raes and their ilk. Anecdotal I know but I struggle to see Renua becoming relevant.

I would say Casey is well enough placed to take a seat in Donegal if he punts for it, though there has been a bit of sceptisim on that front from some heads.

• Locked thread