Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antares
Jan 13, 2006

I'm a big fan of the job van Gaal is doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The turnaround on Van Gaal is funny and will become even funnier when United lose their next game and the fans turn on him again, proving that results are the only thing that they actually care about.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Der Shovel posted:

Several of the more excitable United supporters on the net are now talking about wanting LVG to see out his contract because he's "turned it around". Perhaps surprisingly, I find myself torn on the subject.

On one hand he has massively cocked up the job so far (there are some things he has done well, but overall) and this season has been utterly awful for the most part. Realistically he should have been sacked in December. During his time at United the football has mostly been poor and when his teams produced good football, it usually came about because injuries forced him to try something new -- and then he reverted back to form immediately when he could. So I'm not jumping over the moon yet just because his team has played a few good games after ages of dross and poo poo, especially not when we know from past experience that he's willing to throw it all away and go back to 70% possession and 1 shot on goal the moment "his players" are fit again.

But at the same time, I'm not going to pretend he's 100% clueless about football. He's produced results at various clubs before, and theoretically he could do so at United. And from a psychological perspective I can understand why he'd want to stick with proven players especially as his job was more and more under pressure.

I dunno. I guess I'm interested in seeing where he goes from here. The massive glut of injuries and his very small squad have forced him to play a very anti-LVG style this past week or so. He hasn't been able to play an ultra defensive midfield, and as luck would have it the only fit striker he was able to field is a lot more active and threatening than Wayne Rooney. I'm not going to pretend that Rashford is ready to lead the team yet, he's a young lad who has played a couple of good games. There's miles for him and other young players to go yet, but surely "play a capable, willing and hungry striker -> get results" is something that has to resonate even with LVG? Surely this has to clue him in to the fact that his team can play attractive and fun football, and get results?

Or possibly not. Maybe the second Fellaini is fit he'll be the striker again and Rashford will be on the bench or playing as a winger or something.

Did you just quote an Ewar Woowar post and replace Klopp with LVG and Liverpool with United?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

blue footed boobie posted:

I g that it's a making a murderer reference but I have no clue what they're getting at

Trump needs to deport those 2 dickheads back to england

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Rooney is an albatross on the neck of United.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Bea Nanner posted:

Rooney is an albatross on the neck of United.

England too, get Sterling Vardy and Walcott up front in France please Hodgers. Perhaps Sterling Kane Vardy but we should play direct as gently caress.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 1, 2016

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Brendan Rodgers posted:

England too, get Sterling Vardy and Walcott up front in France please Hodgers. Perhaps Sterling Kane Vardy but we should play direct as gently caress.

Sterling and Walcott are ineffective little twinks and would just make Vardy worse by making the other team sit deeper

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Der Shovel posted:

Disagree. I'm not expecting the team to be running away with the league, but mounting a credible title challenge was expected from LVG this season.

And Villa expected Tim Sherwood to get them comfortably mid-table.

He didn't have good enough players for it and neither does LVG.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

African AIDS cum posted:

Sterling and Walcott are ineffective little twinks and would just make Vardy worse by making the other team sit deeper

Umm I'll have you know that Walcott has a beard and tats now.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

The only question United should ask is can they get anyone better. I'm not convinced Mourinho would fit in well at Old Trafford so then you'd be looking at someone like Simeone who, whilst clearly a good manager, is not necessarily better than Van Gaal. It's a tricky one.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

African AIDS cum posted:

Just send Cattermole out with them, the hardman with a heart of gold, he'll have a redemption arc and keep all the twinks in line.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

So I heard Liverpool is buying Mario Gotze and James Rodriguez, I'm excited.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Hell, I'd be happy with one of them!

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Shitshow posted:

What I feel more than anything else about Arsenal is boredom. The club is stuck in Groundhog's Day and only a new manager will break the routine, either for better or worse.

I remember when Charlton fans said this

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

julian assflange posted:

Did you just quote an Ewar Woowar post and replace Klopp with LVG and Liverpool with United?

Lol. This checks out to be fair.

You'd have thought thirty plus years of watching Liverpool would have dented my optimism really.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Shitshow posted:

Kroenke won't sack Wenger as long as the club is turning a profit. Wenger's fate is in his own hands for now. My only hope - and it's a small one - is that the fans ramp up the pressure on him so much that he takes offense and quits.
Hoping fans chase away a manager is worse than hoping the club captain gets injured.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Walcott is worse than Rooney ffs

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Both will flop and/or be perpetually injured.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Shrapnig posted:

walcott is probably worse than rooney's kids at the moment

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Shrapnig posted:

Michael Antonio is better than both and he enjoys the simpsons, which is good, because England's chances are a joke

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Spangly A posted:

Michael Antonio is better than both and he enjoys the simpsons, which is good, because England's chances are a joke

This doesn't check out though because once the latest episode of english football ends I will be laughing hysterically.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Spangly A posted:

Will there ever be a West Ham player who you don't talk up for England despite their obvious flaws and general shittyness?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Total Meatlove posted:

Will there ever be a West Ham player who you don't talk up for England despite their obvious flaws and general shittyness?

England are obviously flawed and generally lovely tbf.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Total Meatlove posted:

Well Dmitri Payet is French.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I see Big Salo is tearing up the EPL the best league in the world

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

El Hefe posted:

I see Big Salo is tearing up the EPL the best league in the world

Can't last more than 120 days

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Cazorla has picked up an Achilles injury while uh , not playing. No word on how much longer he'll be out but that could be the season right there.

Wilshere had another setback too, but who gives a poo poo.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Can someone please explain why men in blazers called stoke the manitowa sherrifs

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Byolante posted:

Can someone please explain why men in blazers called stoke the manitowa sherrifs

they're extremely unfunny. you're welcome

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Byolante posted:

It's a reference to a murder from the early 2000s in Wisconsin that recently became popular because of a Netflix documentary detailing the terrible investigation methods and general corruption/stupidity that took place during the trial, etc. What that has to do with stoke is ??? The explanation for that part of it was summed up nicely by homework explainer.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Homework Explainer posted:

they're extremely unfunny. you're welcome

who is their target audience?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Total Meatlove posted:

While I think it's too late to put Antonio in the squad for the Euros, he is showing a lot of promise. Plus, it'll be nice to have a winger who actually wants to be a winger rather than someone who sees themself as a number 10 or a striker.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Byolante posted:

I'm assuming it's because they're both cunts.

It's not funny and it's no longer really true.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Agreed. Ken Kratz has redeemed himself lately.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Total Meatlove posted:

counterpoint; the last world cup

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Spangly A posted:

counterpoint; the last world cup

They really were crying out for Kevin Nolan

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Antonio has actually been remarkably good and if he can maintain his form probably deserves to be considered for England after the Euros. Certainly more than people like Lallana or Walcott on current performances. He doesn't pretend to be a forward and he doesn't stop sprinting for 90 minutes, which is a useful trait in international football.

Mark Noble never has been and never will be good enough for England though, they should stop crying about that one.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

hadji murad posted:

who is their target audience?

American "EPL" fan hoppy IPA loving dullards who like to laugh not because they find the jokes funny, but because they get the reference

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

African AIDS cum posted:

American "EPL" fan hoppy IPA loving dullards who like to laugh not because they find the jokes funny, but because they get the reference

you're not allowed to emptyquote in serious threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
Antonio is English??? put that big unit in the team immediately!

• Locked thread