Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The two other movie threads active right now got me thinking of this: Movies that surprise you with how much/little money they made or cost.

Baseketball: A movie with a relatively modest $23M budget and released at a time when South Park was on fire in the media.
Box office: $7M

I found that sort of surprising, all things considered. It was pretty heavily promoted, had a really good soundtrack, released with quite a bit of hype due to the South Park connection, I know a lot of people who've seen the film (even if they didn't like it a ton), but it still couldn't even make back it's budget.

Snakes on a Plane: Made about what it cost domestically, only about $34M. Given the huge amount of internet meme hype it generated, it was far from the huge performer it was expected to be, but I still assumed it did more than that. Some reasons I've heard attributed to its lack of success were just burn out on the film by audiences before it came out and the surprisingly strong reaction to Talladega Nights that had come out at the same time.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterworld

quote:

Box office

Due to the runaway costs of the production and its expensive price tag, some critics dubbed it "Fishtar" and "Kevin's Gate", alluding to the flops Ishtar and Heaven's Gate, although the film debuted at the box office at #1. With a budget of $172 million (not including marketing and distribution costs for a total outlay of $235 million),the film grossed $88 million at the North American box office. The film did better overseas, with $176 million at the foreign box office, for a worldwide total of $264 million. However, even though this figure surpasses the total costs spent by the studio, it does not take into account the percentage of box office gross that theaters retain, which is generally up to half; but after factoring in home video sales and TV broadcast rights among other revenue streams, Waterworld eventually broke even.

All in all, no one has experienced how incredible this film is until they watch the Fan Edit "Ulysses Cut".

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

NurhacisUrn posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterworld

All in all, no one has experienced how incredible this film is until they watch the Fan Edit "Ulysses Cut".

That's a loving crazy cost.

And even crazier that it eventually broke even.

in 1995.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

that lovely CGI movie Mars Needs Moms had an estimated budget of $150 million

it made $39 million

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The latest Chipmunk movie that had the misfortune of opening against Star Wars and was considered a flop the first week of release has clung to dear life and has so far accumulated about $83M domestically. So, it's still going to only end up with about $87M before it's gone from theaters, but I think a LOT of people are surprised it's done THAT well.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I can't believe that "Grown Ups" 1&2, "Just go With it" and "Jack&Jill" all had budgets to the tune of $80 million, and that they actually earned it back.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

The budget of the first Saw movie was between $1 million and $1.2 million; It grossed $55 million in the US and ended up grossing $100 million worldwide. All of the Saw movies, when combined and adjusted for inflation in 2011 after the last movie, grossed a total of $953 million, compared to a total estimated budget of $67.7 million.

Another interesting detail, from wikipedia:

According to David Hackl, all of the traps are real objects, and not CGI. They were designed to look horrific but ultimately be safe for the actors in them. Writer Marcus Dunstan said: "It's built to function there on the day", and added: "It works. So if there's a scalping chair — there really was a chair with working gears to grind and pull your scalp back." The most potentially dangerous item was a "water box" used in Saw V, in which one of the actors (Scott Patterson, as Peter Strahm) had to keep his head submerged as long as possible. Another element of the traps is that Hackl desired a specific look of rust and menace, but he also wanted them to have a type of beauty about them."

soscannonballs fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 2, 2016

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

Farmland Park posted:

I can't believe that "Grown Ups" 1&2, "Just go With it" and "Jack&Jill" all had budgets to the tune of $80 million, and that they actually earned it back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE5aKNAcU2I

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
swap.avi

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The oft-quoted Office Space, which I seem to remember as sort of reviewed well enough made only a surprisingly low $10M during its theatrical run. It, along with something like Boondock Saints (with only $30K), continued popularity HAS to be almost solely due to DVD, VHS and cable airings.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terminator

The original Terminator film cost $6.4 million to make and made $78.3 million at the box office (about $38 million in the US and $40 million is the rest of the world).
Not a bad return.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

mdm posted:

swap.avi

You guys are assholes, those girls probably saw $5 of that benji.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Funny that boondocks saints and office space made so little considering everyone and their mother has seen those, and probably owns a dvd copy.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I thought it was kind of hella hard to get a good handle for some films for earning and poo poo because of hollywood accounting. Like the LoTR films working out to a net loss or something because of moving numbers around

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Larry Parrish posted:

Funny that boondocks saints and office space made so little considering everyone and their mother has seen those, and probably owns a dvd copy.

The Big Lebowski made 17 million with a budget of 15 million.

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

(and can't post for 4 years!)

It's crazy how much money is spent on silly films no one really likes or cares about. If a little chunk of a film budget fell off of a truck and into my bank account I'd be set for life, but unfortunately it must to be allocated to a CGI bear, or something like that. It doesn't seem fair, to me, honestly I think they should use the money on food or housing instead of CGI bears.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ninety posted:

It's crazy how much money is spent on silly films no one really likes or cares about. If a little chunk of a film budget fell off of a truck and into my bank account I'd be set for life, but unfortunately it must to be allocated to a CGI bear, or something like that. It doesn't seem fair, to me, honestly I think they should use the money on food or housing instead of CGI bears.

i think they should spend the money hiring thugs to beat you up

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Robo Reagan posted:

i think they should spend the money hiring thugs to beat you up

Seems like a waste of resources but if someone wants to do that they can, I guess.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

ninety posted:

it goes to the food and houses of the proud men who make cgi bears for a living

these are the hairy gay man bears we're talking about right? just wanna make sure

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fonzarelli posted:

it goes to the food and houses of the proud men who make cgi bears for a living

Do people who make CGI bears truly deserve the gift of life.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

ninety posted:

Bernie Sanders 2016

Also, the original Halloween only had a $375,000 budget and has made a total of $47-million.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ultrabindu posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terminator

The original Terminator film cost $6.4 million to make and made $78.3 million at the box office (about $38 million in the US and $40 million is the rest of the world).
Not a bad return.

James Cameron may waste 2+ decades on dumb Avatar poo poo and be a psychopathic prick besides, but the dude knows how to squeeze every dime out of his budgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
wow avatar made nearly $3 billion

i heard it was garbage though

• Locked thread