Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Feedback Agency posted:

what is irony? we just don't know?

It's like rain on your wedding day.

DiHK easily claims top of page 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Applewhite posted:

Still need to finish that book. Thanks for reminding me, OP.

fair warning: when you stare into the world of tennis, the world of tennis also stares into you

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

i found a 30mg gel cap of hydromorph contin the other day

seems like most junkies online are excited to get 6mg pills, but i have a 30mg in my posession.

how do i get the most hosed up on it??

you should put it in your rear end, obviously

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

every time i pull out the hacky sack it's like phermones and the ladies flock 2 me to watch me roll the limp half-filled hacky-sack off to the padded toe of my white DC shoes, sending the sack aloft before it lands, nestled tightly between two of my fattest dreads

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

PBS Newshour posted:

hey what do you call an android really into theater?

that gay robot

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Feedback Agency posted:

what is irony?

tfw bae sold he watch to buy u a comb and u sold ur hair to buy him a watch fob

Feedback Agency
Apr 23, 2014

MiracleWhale posted:

that gay robot

this gay robot?

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Infinite Jest is more physically difficult to read than mentally. It's much longer than it needs to be, there are walls of text everywhere, and you have to flip to the footnotes constantly or miss out on some entire character arcs. Get the eBook or don't read it at all IMO.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Planarch posted:

Infinite Jest is more physically difficult to read than mentally. It's much longer than it needs to be, there are walls of text everywhere, and you have to flip to the footnotes constantly or miss out on some entire character arcs. Get the eBook or don't read it at all IMO.

that is the whole point of the footnotes

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I don't see why people think that writers have some special insight into the human condition. They just have a word processor and lots of time alone.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I prefer the works of a certain, and I quote, "Niggerstomper". They seem more succinct and lucid on the question of self and irony.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

“Infinite Jest” is unquestionably the novel of its generation. As a member (barely) of the generation Wallace was part of, and as a writer whose closest friends are writers (most of whom are Wallace fans), and as someone who first read “Infinite Jest” at perhaps the perfect age (22, as a Peace Corps volunteer in Uzbekistan), my testimony on this point may well be riddled with partisanship. So allow me to drop the mask of the introducer to show the homely face of a fan, and much later a friend, of David Wallace.

As I read “Infinite Jest” in the dark early mornings before my Uzbek language class, I could hear my host mother talking to the chickens in the barn on the other side of my bedroom wall as she flung scatters of feed before them. I could hear the cows stirring, and then their deep monstrous mooing, along with the compound’s approximately 10,000 wild cats moving in the crawl space directly above my bed. What I am trying to say is that it should have been difficult to focus on the doings of Hal Incandenza, Don Gately, Rémy Marathe and Madame Psychosis. But it wasn’t. I read for hours that way, morning after morning, my mind awhirl. For the first few hundred pages of my initial reading, I will confess that I greatly disliked “Infinite Jest.” Why? Jealousy, frustration, impatience. It’s hard to remember exactly why. It wasn’t until I was writing letters to my girlfriend, and describing to her my fellow Peace Corps volunteers and host-family members and long walks home through old Soviet collectivized farmland in what I would categorize as yellow-belt Wallaceian prose, that I realized how completely the book had rewired me. Here is one of the great Wallace innovations: the revelatory power of freakishly thorough noticing, of corralling and controlling detail. Most great prose writers make the real world seem realer — it’s why we read great prose writers. But Wallace does something weirder, something more astounding: Even when you’re not reading him, he trains you to study the real world through the lens of his prose. Several writers’ names have become adjectivized — Kafkaesque, Orwellian, Dickensian — but these are designators of mood, of situation, of civic decay. The Wallaceian is not a description of something external; it describes something that happens ecstatically within, a state of apprehension (in both senses) and understanding. He didn’t name a condition, in other words. He created one.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Thought the op would be permabanned user niggerstomper58

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
didn't DFW hate that people only saw IJ for its irony

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

and as someone who first read “Infinite Jest” at perhaps the perfect age (22, as a Peace Corps volunteer in Uzbekistan)

jesus christ

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

mdm posted:

jesus christ

There's more good poo poo in the article but I didn't want to post a wall of text or link to a paywall site

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
He was my professor in college

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Black Baby Goku posted:

He was my professor in college

hilarious and ironic anecdotes please

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

ArmZ posted:

hilarious and ironic anecdotes please

Don't hold your breath, last time this happened BBG wept tears of bitter scholarship for his irony mentor

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I am ironic to the point of sincerity. And soberness.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

quote:

im permabanned poster niggerstomper58. i first started reading fyad when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of “irony” and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like “friend of the family balls” and “i love making GBS threads inside friend of the family assholes” in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of “ironic” style of fyad humor was all about; i think it’s the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who “get” fyad to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

“Infinite Jest” is unquestionably the novel of its generation. As a member (barely) of the generation Wallace was part of, and as a writer whose closest friends are writers (most of whom are Wallace fans), and as someone who first read “Infinite Jest” at perhaps the perfect age (22, as a Peace Corps volunteer in Uzbekistan), my testimony on this point may well be riddled with partisanship. So allow me to drop the mask of the introducer to show the homely face of a fan, and much later a friend, of David Wallace.

As I read “Infinite Jest” in the dark early mornings before my Uzbek language class, I could hear my host mother talking to the chickens in the barn on the other side of my bedroom wall as she flung scatters of feed before them. I could hear the cows stirring, and then their deep monstrous mooing, along with the compound’s approximately 10,000 wild cats moving in the crawl space directly above my bed. What I am trying to say is that it should have been difficult to focus on the doings of Hal Incandenza, Don Gately, Rémy Marathe and Madame Psychosis. But it wasn’t. I read for hours that way, morning after morning, my mind awhirl. For the first few hundred pages of my initial reading, I will confess that I greatly disliked “Infinite Jest.” Why? Jealousy, frustration, impatience. It’s hard to remember exactly why. It wasn’t until I was writing letters to my girlfriend, and describing to her my fellow Peace Corps volunteers and host-family members and long walks home through old Soviet collectivized farmland in what I would categorize as yellow-belt Wallaceian prose, that I realized how completely the book had rewired me. Here is one of the great Wallace innovations: the revelatory power of freakishly thorough noticing, of corralling and controlling detail. Most great prose writers make the real world seem realer — it’s why we read great prose writers. But Wallace does something weirder, something more astounding: Even when you’re not reading him, he trains you to study the real world through the lens of his prose. Several writers’ names have become adjectivized — Kafkaesque, Orwellian, Dickensian — but these are designators of mood, of situation, of civic decay. The Wallaceian is not a description of something external; it describes something that happens ecstatically within, a state of apprehension (in both senses) and understanding. He didn’t name a condition, in other words. He created one.

Pfffff human being. I read infinite jest at age 27 in and out of a men's drug withdrawal clinic while attending narcotics anonymous meetings. It's not THAT loving great. It's a really good book but it's not timeless, it's just good. After reading it I tackled gravity's rainbow and that was WAY better. Pynchon is a poet where Wallace is a journalist. In the realm of fiction, which do you think makes for better reading? Wallace's prose is just amateur in comparison. I did get a good laugh out of Hal's underground smoke spot being described as "unfenestrated" though. That and the eschatology game were really the best parts of the book imo.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
If you guys end up getting all introspective I'll take your drugs.

Sandusky Kenshin
Jan 24, 2016

Infinite Jest

BY DAVID FOSTER WALLACE - A LOT OF PEOPLE TAKE MORE EASILY TO DFW'S NON-FICTION, BUT TO SHY AWAY FROM HIS FICTION IS TO SHY AWAY FROM SOMETHING REMARKABLE (JUST IN A RATHER DIFFERENT WAY). BECAUSE THIS NOVEL IS SOMETHING... ELSE. WHAT'S FUNNY IS YOU'LL OFTEN HEAR A BUNCH OF PEOPLE WHINE ABOUT DFW'S FICTION, SAYING THAT HE JUST RIPPED OF PYNCHON OR SOMETHING, BUT THAT'S THE SAME PEOPLE WHO FALL FOR THE FORM OF THE THING INSTEAD OF THE FUNCTION AND DON'T ACTUALLY GET WHAT'S GOING ON (WE CAN PUT THEM IN SAME CLASS OF PEOPLE WHO DISMISS DE PALMA AS A HITCHCOCK RIP-OFF ARTIST). FOR INFINITE JEST IS SO GRAND. SO ACHING. AND SO... TROUBLING. IT'S LIKE DIVING INTO THE HEART OF LITERARY METAPHYSICS AND ONE CANNOT HELP BUT FEEL LOST WITHIN ITS REALM. QUITE HONESTLY, A READ-THROUGH ONCE GAVE HULK AN EXISTENTIAL CRISIS... WHICH IS NOT EASY FOR A BOOK THAT TAKES MOST PEOPLE ENTIRE SUMMERS TO GET THROUGH. AND WHILE NOT SPELLED OUT, IT ISN'T TILL THE END THAT YOU REALIZE THE CRUEL JOKE AT THE HEART OF THE NARRATIVE AND ALSO THE WONDEROUS NATURE OF THE EXPERIENCE ITSELF: THAT YOU'RE NOT READY TO READ INFINITE JEST UNTIL YOU'VE ALREADY READ INFINITE JEST (MAKING IT JUST ONE OF THE MANY "INFINITE JESTS" IN THE BOOK). BUT THE WARINESS OF FALLING INTO THE LABYRINTH-LIKE CYCLE OF A BOOK THIS DENSE AND BYZANTINE IS ALSO THE SAME THING THAT BECOMES BEAUTIFULLY FREEING ABOUT THE PROCESS. IT'S NOT A PUZZLE TO BE PUT TOGETHER (THOUGH THERE'S SOME FUN IN TRYING). IF ONE KNOWS THEY WILL SIMPLY GET LOST IN IT AT ALL THEN WE CAN JUST ACCEPT IT. WE CAN JUST SOAK IN THE WATERS OF WHAT IT OFFERS MOMENT TO MOMENT, UNBOUND FROM THE WORRY OF NARRATIVE FRAGMENTATION. AND IN THE END, THE MODERNITY OF IT ALL ONLY ENDS UP UPHOLDING (GOD THIS SENTENCE) SOMETHING BRAVE AND BRIGHT AND KIND. AND IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE HULK, JUST READ IT... IF YOU GET TO THE LIST OF "THINGS YOU CAN LEARN AT A HALF-WAY HOUSE" THEN YOU'LL SEE WHERE YOU STAND.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Illavick posted:

Pfffff human being. I read infinite jest at age 27 in and out of a men's drug withdrawal clinic while attending narcotics anonymous meetings. It's not THAT loving great. It's a really good book but it's not timeless, it's just good. After reading it I tackled gravity's rainbow and that was WAY better. Pynchon is a poet where Wallace is a journalist. In the realm of fiction, which do you think makes for better reading? Wallace's prose is just amateur in comparison. I did get a good laugh out of Hal's underground smoke spot being described as "unfenestrated" though. That and the eschatology game were really the best parts of the book imo.

Journalism is the realm of fiction

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
hmm yes 90s white male; the book

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE

mdm posted:

Journalism is the realm of fiction

touche but maybe I should have said news reporter instead of journalist. I have failed in articulating myself and will now shove a spiked dildo up my rear end in penance.

Sandusky Kenshin
Jan 24, 2016

The book doesn't end, so once you read it you need to go back to the beginning. That's the "Infinite Jest." Isn't that brilliant? *hangs himself*

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

roymorrison posted:

hmm yes 90s white male; the book

ROFL

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I prefer to think of it as Pearl Jam: The Drugs and Tennis Mix Tape

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Sandusky Kenshin posted:

The book doesn't end, so once you read it you need to go back to the beginning. That's the "Infinite Jest." Isn't that brilliant? *hangs himself*

not true once you finish it you can go on to another book

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i enjoyed infinite jest in high school and would prob still enjoy parts of it now.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
post the quote

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Thank you I was waiting for this!

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Sandusky Kenshin posted:

David foster wallart

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i have a drinking problem and love posting im NOT drinking right now (cause that would be breaking the forums rules and I'd never do that :grin:)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nooner posted:

i have a drinking problem and love posting im NOT drinking right now (cause that would be breaking the forums rules and I'd never do that :grin:)

glad a straight edge nerd wrote those rules because i am high as gently caress basically 24/7. weed fuckin RULES

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

glad a straight edge nerd wrote those rules because i am high as gently caress basically 24/7. weed fuckin RULES

SWIM thinks that w33d is also a very good choice. not my favorite i prefer liquor but it is def a good 2nd and pro tier choice

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

gargle chome posted:

jesus dude get help

i tried anti-heroine to stop the shakes but most anti-heroines are cast with crones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lfield
May 10, 2008
irony is bad - man who killed self

• Locked thread