Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

THE LONG WALK

11: Winter Sun Walking

so what's this then this is where you get to do something about writing that novel you've always had inside you and can finally get all the money respect sex nothing you deserve.

sounds cool how does it work round about the first day of every month I put a thread up and you post in it to say how much new writing you're gonna post by 2359 PST on the last day of that month. there might be a little general leeway at the end of the month, but don't count on it and don't ask for extensions.

lol imma post one word 'lol' there I won lol there's a 4k word minimum. you can pledge more if you like, but 4k is the ante.

how many terrible words have been written through this thread and the ones before it? 1,608,000. Some of them might have been good? idk

what happens if I gently caress it up every promise has to have a :toxx: attached. you fail, you get banned.

how should I post my stuff up to you, but a link to a gdoc with comments enabled is best that way you won't restrict your publication options later.

can I do short stories sure. It has to be new words (prose, poetry, limericks) but otherwise you can post whatever as long as you make the wordcount

can I critpost, shitpost, or shart my jorts don't really care, it's not the thunderdome so just follow the exhortations of your clotted goony heart but keep in mind that detailed crits of longform stuff aren't super useful; better to keep them general. normal CC rules apply so be harsh but helpful

is there an irc channel yes, if you've signed up: synirc, #longwalk, but most of us hang out in #thunderdome

where are the previous months April, May June July, August, September, October , November, December, January

who tells the mods if i gently caress up and don't make it anyone can call in a failed toxx; if no one else does it I do

who checks i've done it i could just not and say i did lol you need to satisfy me, which isn't a high bar tbh, but I'll probably need to see something, up to you what that is

how long are you gonna do it for at least a year, but if it's working for people there's no reason it couldn't go on longer

hickory dickory ock mice are fluffy vermin and deserve whatever they get

Long Walk 11: Winter Sun Walking

flerpenheim 15k, 5 subs NAMECHANGINGLY FLERPED IT
grizzpat 5k 20 subs SUBBING IT LIKE A SUBEDITOR EATING A SUB INSIDE A SUBMARINE
redtonic 20k MADE IT LIKE A GRANDMA MAKING A DOILY OUT OF BROKEN DREAMS AND DRYER LINT
thyrork 4k SMALL BUT PERFECTLY FORMED ACTUALLY poo poo I DUNNO THEY MAY BE SUPER UGLY BUT HEY MADE IT
ironic twist 10k 5 subs MADE IT LIKE A GRENADE PIT
sitting here 18k :siren:FAILBURGERS DELICIOUS JUICY BURGERS MADE OF FAIL:siren:
guinness13 10k MADE IT LIKE A DWARVEN ARTISAN MAKING SOMETHING MEDIUM SIZED
toxicslurpee 10k MADE ITTTTT GO TOXIC SLURPEE NO THANKS IM OK IM ACTUALLY NOT THIRSTY
potatocubed 6k FIRST TIME MADE IT WOOOOO GO 1ST TIME MADE IT GUY/GAL
spectres of autism 12k :siren:ALSO WITH THE FAILING AND THE BURGERS:siren:

RECORD OF THE FALLEN

CHTHONIC BELL/A PAINTED BIRD... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X4)
KILLFAST37... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X2)
MORNING BELL... DIDN'T MAKE IT
DR KLOCTOPUSSY... DIDN'T MAKE IT
BOMPACHO... DIDN'T MAKE IT
CRABROCK... DIDN'T MAKE IT
REDTONIC... DIDN'T MAKE IT
MARTELLO... DIDN'T MAKE IT
THEHOMEMASTER... DIDN'T MAKE IT
JONKED... DIDN'T MAKE IT
ANIME WAS RIGHT... DIDN'T MAKE IT
MAG7.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
KURONA BRIGHT...DIDN'T MAKE IT
SITTING HERE.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
IRONIC TWIST.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
TEQUILAJESUS.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
ANOMIEATTHEGATES.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
ANGELOPPORTUNITY.... DIDN'T MAKE IT

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
:toxx: 15k words since I'm trying to do 500 words a day this month

also 5 subs

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Once more unto the breach with 5k non-TDome words and 20 subs. :toxx:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Gonna stick with a conservative 20k this month and hope to surprise myself. I got a poo poo load of revising to do.

:toxx:

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 3, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
4k story words. XCOM 2 & a trip to London this month be damned.

E: :toxx:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 3, 2016

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
:toxx: for 10K, 5 subs.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
:toxx: 18K again :moments:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
:toxx: Another 10K on the novel this month. The end is...well, not nigh, but somewhere on the horizon.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
:toxx: for at least 10,000 words of blog posts, fantasy stories, and/or science fiction. That's total, not each.

No more writing things, deciding it's awful, and then deleting it. It's time to write something, decide it's awful, and post it anyway.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
This sounds like my jam.

I'll lowball the goal since it's my first go: 6000 words of fiction or RPG writing.

:toxx:

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
id like to winter sun walk for 12 k :toxx:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

more than 15k, but i dont feel like mathing

words done, subs not finished yet but im gonna use the rest of the month to edit something into something decent to send out.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Report in peeps, how yis doing

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
XCOM 2, travelling and sickness because of traveling has left me scrambling to get done in this last week. I'll get there, its not that many words. :unsmith:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Lowballing worked out well for me.

Plus a few thousand words on other works in progress, none of which are ever going to go anywhere.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Got like half of the revision work I wanted to do in Feb done. Will have the new words done. :sigh:

e:

Got two of three revisions I wanted to do for Feb done. Not bad, project-wise, but I needed to get way more done in February.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 27, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

What a lovely month, but any words is progress. Lets hope for better to come.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
subs:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Well I managed to write 10K words. Woohoo!

It strikes me as awful writing but everything I write does for whatever bizarre reason. I feel like I should post some of it so people can tell me if it's actually legitimately bad or not. I always got stellar grades on everything I wrote for college so perhaps I'm just being too hard on myself. Oh well! My goal was to light a fire under my own rear end to actually get some writing done and I succeeded in that.

What I was working on was a weird science-fiction idea I had a few years ago but never worked with. It's ultimately about the lives of a race of intelligent aliens that are incapable of communicating with each other.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

+ 2,725 TD words = >10K words.

Also,

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
This month was a slog. Too much BS going on, and it completely killed my momentum.

Progress on the novel was minimal. I started the month at 59,183 and I finished with 62,422, for a total of 3,239 new words.

Started a new short story (or at least, restarted it since I wrote a draft last year), for 5,133 words.

Then the last two weeks of Thunderdome:

999 words

and 1,361 words

for a grand total of 10,732 words.

Not as tight as I thought it would be, but eh.

Here's hoping for a better March.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

5k words + 20 subs, done and done:

Seb asked me in IRC to mention how all this submitting has worked out for me. I've been doing the Long Walk since the beginning, though I didn't start really getting serious about sending out submissions until about 3 months ago. So far, I've sent out 107 submissions. Of those, 20 are pending. A few never responded, and I'm expecting one or two more places that probably won't ever get back to me. But 9 of those submissions have been accepted for publication, which puts me at right about a 13% acceptance rate. I haven't been writing for very long, and when I first started, getting published literally anywhere was a distant dream.

These Long Walk threads, and the people in them, really are a major inspiration. I never would have put the work in or tried to get any of it out there without you guys, so I just wanted to express my appreciation and hopefully encourage more people to send out stories for publication. It's a little scary and weird at first, but you get used to it fast. You can make a Submittable account in like 2 minutes, and that's all you need to send things out to 90% of the journals I've come across. It's super easy, and all of the crushing disappointment that comes with rejection is nothing compared to how you'll feel when you see that first shiny acceptance.

There are already quite a few people here that have gotten things accepted (hopefully they mention it here!) and I really love seeing more goons get published. So if you've got a story you like that you're just sitting on, get it out there! If you stick with it, you are probably going to be pleasantly surprised.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 1, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

There are already quite a few people here that have gotten things accepted (hopefully they mention it here!) and I really love seeing more goons get published. So if you've got a story you like that you're just sitting on, get it out there! If you stick with it, you are probably going to be pleasantly surprised.

That was nice to read, I was wondering what the next step will be post-having something worth submitting was going to be like. :unsmith: Thanks.

Wheres the thread Seb? Fast Threading, Good Threading.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

5k words + 20 subs, done and done:

Seb asked me in IRC to mention how all this submitting has worked out for me. I've been doing the Long Walk since the beginning, though I didn't start really getting serious about sending out submissions until about 3 months ago. So far, I've sent out 107 submissions. Of those, 20 are pending. A few never responded, and I'm expecting one or two more places that probably won't ever get back to me. But 9 of those submissions have been accepted for publication, which puts me at right about a 13% acceptance rate. I haven't been writing for very long, and when I first started, getting published literally anywhere was a distant dream.

These Long Walk threads, and the people in them, really are a major inspiration. I never would have put the work in or tried to get any of it out there without you guys, so I just wanted to express my appreciation and hopefully encourage more people to send out stories for publication. It's a little scary and weird at first, but you get used to it fast. You can make a Submittable account in like 2 minutes, and that's all you need to send things out to 90% of the journals I've come across. It's super easy, and all of the crushing disappointment that comes with rejection is nothing compared to how you'll feel when you see that first shiny acceptance.

I can vouch for this, considering I've had a bunch of stories published under the impetus of this thread.

One of the LW subs I sent out last night has already been accepted. Always Be Submitting.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
Honestly, the LW kept me writing the last couple months. Life's been kicking my rear end lately, but having a set goal to work towards, even if I'm just barely reaching it, has helped a lot. Now I just need to get the quality out of the toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thyrork posted:

That was nice to read, I was wondering what the next step will be post-having something worth submitting was going to be like. :unsmith: Thanks.

Wheres the thread Seb? Fast Threading, Good Threading.

Well done my little chickadees.

Particularly Grizpat, but everyone. Follow his example - toxx to submit, next thread.

Thread up in an hour or two.

• Locked thread