Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I was always under the impression that it was the same elevator, with one end connected to Earth and the other end connected to Mars. I have no idea how that would work factoring in orbit and all but for the game I didn't really care how it worked either. Considering that it's the future, I'm sure they could hand wave away to say that the orbits were synced between the two planets.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that Another Age was supposed to take place on Mars during the events of Armored Core 2 original taking place on Earth. Another Age wouldn't really be aware of anything Leios Klein did at that point. Not while the games going on at least. It's not as though I really paid a lot of attention to Armored Core's plot though so I could be wrong. It was just fun building giant robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PSWII60 posted:

I was always under the impression that it was the same elevator, with one end connected to Earth and the other end connected to Mars. I have no idea how that would work factoring in orbit and all but for the game I didn't really care how it worked either. Considering that it's the future, I'm sure they could hand wave away to say that the orbits were synced between the two planets.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that Another Age was supposed to take place on Mars during the events of Armored Core 2 original taking place on Earth. Another Age wouldn't really be aware of anything Leios Klein did at that point. Not while the games going on at least. It's not as though I really paid a lot of attention to Armored Core's plot though so I could be wrong. It was just fun building giant robots.

Another Age is set five years after AC2. So EarthGov et al. are all aware of what Klein tried to do on Mars and are now super paranoid about working with Ravens, have formally disbanded the Frighteners and fired anyone still kicking around on Earth that even said hello to Klein/Boyle/Ramille in the hall one day, and are holding Balena on like a two-inch long leash now w/r/t putting up with their bullshit. You can see this in the Earth Central missions where the EarthGov rep is super loving hostile to the idea of even just contacting you, let alone having to resort to asking the Raven for help sorting out EarthGov's problems.

The good news is, now that AA's over the continuity completely resets heading into Armored Core 3 so we get to jettison MoA/2/AA's hosed up continuity for one that's a little more linear.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm always impressed by how From managed to turn having a really vague plot into a critically acclaimed asset with the advent of Dark Souls. The ending of the original game totally blindsided me, but then again the game very much put me as the player into the mindset of stone cold merc after nothing but the next paycheck, rather than actually caring about freeing humankind from the shackles of its AI overlords.

ĦBALENAAAAAAA!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The funny thing about FROM is that a lot of the stuff that they were praised for being revolutionary in Demon's/Dark Souls, be it gameplay or storytelling, were things they've been doing for ages, between King's Field and Armored Core. Crushing nihilism and despair, nontraditional storytelling methods, high difficulty that's generally pretty fair and with tons of viable options, etc etc.

But I'm totally not bitter. Nosiree, not one bit. :downs:

Also, the gravity of this reference situation is making me feel bad, or maybe I'm just the only Masou Kishin fan.

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
Gravity, so Granzon then?

I admit, the name was really throwing me off, and the colorscheme IS basically just Daizengar.

Anyway, the thing about FROM is that Demon's Souls was the very first... I guess super-accessible game they made? Or at least the one with the widest appeal. King's Field is similar, but the lack of the computational horsepower that the PS3 and PS4 brought to the table made those games relatively clunky by comparison.

I dunno, maybe it's just a matter of being at the right place at the right time?

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
It's almost definitely Granzon just from the gold chest and red hands.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

nine-gear crow posted:

Another Age is set five years after AC2. So EarthGov et al. are all aware of what Klein tried to do on Mars and are now super paranoid about working with Ravens, have formally disbanded the Frighteners and fired anyone still kicking around on Earth that even said hello to Klein/Boyle/Ramille in the hall one day, and are holding Balena on like a two-inch long leash now w/r/t putting up with their bullshit. You can see this in the Earth Central missions where the EarthGov rep is super loving hostile to the idea of even just contacting you, let alone having to resort to asking the Raven for help sorting out EarthGov's problems.

The good news is, now that AA's over the continuity completely resets heading into Armored Core 3 so we get to jettison MoA/2/AA's hosed up continuity for one that's a little more linear.

Ah, that makes more sense. I had always played these games in the style of, just point at where to shoot and what I'm being paid to blow up. I really misunderstood the plot I guess.

I had played so much AC2 that AC3 took me a while to warm up to. I ended up liking it better. Never enjoyed the ones that came after. They just got a little too complicated for me.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

AC3 was the first game I played in the PS2 generation and so it's the version I'm most used to; it was a while before I picked up 2 from a bargain bin. Similarly, I skipped nexus and went straight to last raven. Accessibility is an interesting thing to mention, because it feels like after 3 (up until 4) they just said "gently caress it" and assumed everybody who is playing one of these games has already played and broken all the other ones over their knee. Especially last raven, where I'm pretty sure one of the two choices for the first mission is a surprise AC fight against someone in a vastly better machine than your starting piece of crap. There are quite a few missions I've played in these games like a cover shooter, popping out from behind walls in a quad for just long enough to one-shot some rear end in a top hat with a laser cannon.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Televisio Frankus posted:

It's almost definitely Granzon just from the gold chest and red hands.

OG Granzon no, Neo Granzon yes.
NeoG even ditches the red hands.

hmmmm.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah if that is Granzon it's a weird amalgamation of the two for sure... the profile matches pretty well with the rifle standing in for the sword, and I guess the yellow could be the glow of the beams fired into the "black holes".
That yellow being wrong is why I leaned more towards the Gespenst on that post last page, even if the colours match their actual locations maybe even less there. The loadout was just so close to OG1 start... aside from rifle replacing machine gun.

Banpresto sure likes their dark blue paintjobs with red and/or gold highlights, don't they?

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
I loving love armored core and I wish I had known about this thread sooner hello :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Comedy suggestion
Valsion custom.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Sortie 23 - Lost Field

Well folks, it's been a good ride, but the time has finally come to say goodbye to Another Age. It's been a good run, and maybe had some more hiccups than necessary, but we made it, and it's all smooth sailing from here. Here to see us off on the true end of our journey is nine-gear crow and GOTTA STAY FAI, two heroes who saved my rear end more than once on this ride.

Today we'll be handling the Another Age postgame, and making our way towards that glorious 100% completion marker. So stay tuned for that and for still more to come as we enter Armored Core 3.

And for the final guesses in the competition, Televisio Frankus comes out with his correct and correctly formatted guess of Busou Kikoushi Granzon. Or Neo Granzon, as I tried to incorporate a little bit of each in the build, so either would be legitimate. Unfortunately the spiky armored god of game ruining can't be properly expressed via AC2's customization, but the core idea got across. Bonus points and extra shoutouts also go out to StarFyter and Stormgear for also getting it right, even if it wasn't their main guesses.

Pilot: Stinger
AC: Vixen

Strategy:

Oh man, welcome to a blast from the past. Showing up in all his extremely assholish glory, Stinger is back, and and ready to ruin your day.

Fighting Stinger is actually not too different from fighting a normal AC, and he's very similar to the Nine-Ball we fought way back in the Old Avalon arena. Rapid fire energy weapon, powerful blade, grenade launcher... But the trick he has up his sleeve that old Nine-Ball didn't have is his blade is an order of magnitude more powerful than anything Nine-Ball ever pulled out.

The key to success in this mission is very much your mobility, as if he gets the chance, Stinger will go ham on you with his blade and grenades. The laser rifle just exists to whittle you down and provide some extra incentive to keep moving. Don't be afraid to overboost away and get some breathing room if he's getting too close and launching off grenades and slashing like mad. Thankfully, ol' Stinger here isn't too keen on the whole 'mobility' angle, and when he brings out his big guns, the core-mounted energy slug gun vomit, he will hold stock still for the entirety of the animation. This is your main opportunity to pelt him with whatever big ticket damage items you have, be it grenade launchers, bazookas, whatever. If you're not PLUS and rocking bipeds, it's one of the few times you'll get a chance to kneel down and get some grenade or plasma cannon shots off, because if you're far enough away, the wide spread won't do any substantial damage to you.

Avoid his blade and dump all your ammo into his face when he stands still, and Vixen will go down easy.

Pilot: Stinger
Unit: Phantasma

Strategy:

Aaaand he's back already. Thankfully, he's also much easier this time around.If Vixen's major failings were focusing damage too much on one particular weapon, and a bad habit of standing still, then Phantasma doubles down on those, but also while being a significantly larger target.

When preparing for this fight, no matter what build you prefer, always remember to bring either some missile decoys or anti missile extensions, because Phantasma's large missiles are deadly, if slow, and being able to avoid or neutralize them turns a difficult fight into a cakewalk. Take those away, and all he has worth mentioning are his plasma bolts, which he fires rarely, and his Disco Rave Party Of Doom, which is painfully easy to avoid. The former can be dodged with standard FCS manipulation like boost hopping or serpentine/jerky movements, and the latter you can just strafe and they won't ever hit you.

For a loadout, long range weapons and a good long range FCS are excellent choices, as they keep you out of plasma/large missile effective range, and give you plenty of time to dodge things from afar. And of course, just like Vixen, bring along some heavy hitting weapons for when he starts making GBS threads lasers, as he'll sit still for an eternity and his large size means things like rockets are child's play to aim. So long as you can keep the missiles away, Stinger will stay down for good.

Pilot: Hustler One
AC: Nine-Ball Seraph

Strategy:

Holy poo poo. The unmaker has arrived, and he is pissed.

Nine-Ball Seraph, the ultimate foe of Master of Arena, Another Age, and Another Century's Episode R NO. Up until now, the Lost Field has just been toying with us, throwing some slightly hard but nothing too terrifying at us, but here is where it lets off the brakes and lets the bull run wild and I may be mixing metaphors but who cares when Seraph is on the field.

Seraph only really has four attacks to his name. Missiles which he'll poo poo out all over the place during his flight mode, a puny gatling for mid-long range ground stuff, a pulse cannon which he'll use when you're in the air and he isn't to compel you to stay on the ground, and his twin MOONLIGHTs, equipped with blade beam functionality. Yet, despite his limited arsenal, he is more than capable of turning any AC into scrap in a matter of seconds.

For loadout, no matter what, you want to bring something to deal with his missiles, as he starts every battle by taking to the air and dumping at least a few on you. Decoys are optimal, as you'll burn through anti missile extension ammo like mad trying to shoot his stuff out of the sky, so luring a group into a decoy and then getting as far away from it as possible is definitely a good strategy. If you don't have that, make liberal usage of overboost to escape them and hopefully trick Seraph into getting his rear end back on the ground where you can actually hit him, as the missiles have a shorter range than you might think, thankfully.

Once you drag him to the ground, depending on where he is at the time, he'll do one of three things. If he's midrange, he'll fire his gatlings and attempt to close in on you for blading. If he's in the air but not in his waverider form, he'll start slashing like mad if you're anywhere near him, and will usually do between three to five slashes while he approaches you in the air. Getting caught in this blender is certain death, and is the main reason to avoid air-to-air combat with Seraph at any range other than mid-to-long. And finally, if he lands close to you, he'll start going for the MOONLIGHT and won't give up until you're close enough to hit or he takes to the air again. And of course, when landing, his preferred spot to do so is right behind you, so quick turn extensions are highly recommended if you want to keep your eyes on him.

When Seraph gets into blading mode and you're in the air, he likes to play the patient game. He'll peck at you with his pulse cannon to get you to land while still approaching you, and when you do, either out of fear of the cannon or running out of energy, he'll take the opportunity to slash you to death. If stuck in a close range air-to-ground situation with Seraph, overboosting away or going for a feint/over his head are your only two real options that don't end in plasma sword murder.

So then, knowing his moveset, how the hell are you supposed to kill him? Well, thankfully, once you get to know his ranges, Seraph is very stringent to his rules, and baiting him into blading repeatedly will give you enough openings to drop some big damage on him, so long as you're staying at a long enough range and hopping to the right rhythm to go over his blade beams. The powerful weapon arms like missiles, grenades, or bazookas are excellent for bringing the pain, as are rockets if you're confident in your aim. It's a struggle, and incredibly risky, but playing chicken with his blades can reap massive rewards, and if your aim is true, he'll go down before you can start losing to the war of attrition.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Lost Field is what makes Another Age worth playing imo. Also you made Seraph look like a chump Aces what the hell man :psyduck:

I actually think this version of him is harder than the original one from MoA. I recall beating him there on my first try, and this was not the case at all here. I had to watch a youtube video of someone doing it to finally be able to finish it. It didn't help that I was too stubborn and kept trying to beat him with a tank build (is it even possible to do it?). Probably one of the bosses in the series I died the most to. That and Zinaida. (can't wait for Last Raven as well).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The best part about Nineball Seraph is that his energy defense is completely absurd so if you're the Karasawa addict you've been trained to be he's drat near impossible.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Holy poo poo, I can't hit anything with rockets, ever. Well done.
Are you looking for guest commentators for AC3? I'd love to give it a go.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Crazy Achmed posted:

Holy poo poo, I can't hit anything with rockets, ever. Well done.

The controls at this point in the series really don't like precision aiming, so don't feel bad. Last time I played through one did some custom binds in PCSX2 to let me do proper right stick aiming and it makes rockets broke as hell.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, there's workarounds nowadays, but at this point, I'm so far gone and set in my ways that even in the games that have modern aiming, I still use the classic shoulder aiming controls, because I'm just too set in my ways at this point.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
What a mean little tease at the end. Now I can't wait for you to start the next one.

Nine's voice clip is so perfect for his role, from just what he says to how he says it. 'Commencing Hostilities' in that vile rasp is a perfect way to announce that he is going to attack you on a whole new scale.

Thanks for having me along for the AC2s! I hope I get to join in for fun on the next.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Bonus Sortie - Multiplayer

...The hell do you mean we're not done? I said this was over with like three times by now. This is bullshit.

Well, that's because Another Age actually has eight more missions, tucked away on the start screen under VS MISSION!

See, FromSoft, in their urge to try and cram as much content into the game as possible, included a handful of cooperative and PVP missions. Of course, this being Another Age, they are all one-for-one recreations of missions that are already in the game, just tweaked slightly to include a second AC, either on your side or as part of the opposing forces. Unfortunately these missions aren't particularly interesting, and only having one controller puts a damper on any cooperative funtimes. But nonetheless, the missions allow you to load your save data and bring your own AC to the fight, and save whatever credits you win straight to your card and take it home, which was pretty drat cool back in those old halcyon days of 2001.

However, they did at least include some fully voiced briefings, which change depending on which side you're working for, which is a nice little touch of effort given how much they phoned in otherwise.

The most fun thing about Another Age's VS Missions though is that there is no such thing as IFF. If you want to go ahead and sabotage your friend in a cooperative mission to get a bigger reward, you totally can. Want to cut in on the arena fight he's having with another AC to help or harm him? Go nuts, just make sure you yourself don't aggro the opposition. And that, more than anything else I've seen in this series, truly embodies the spirit of Armored Core. The spirit of wanton greed, self-interest, and gleeful destruction.

And finally there's the VS mode proper. For the most part, this is just a collection of a dozen or so areas from AC2's Arena and some Another Age mission areas to round it out a bit. However, there are four areas we have yet to see or visit in any capacity, so let's do a quick rundown for posterity's sake.

Sluice Gate
A semi-submerged water area, with a large central mechanism that has a number of areas to take cover and fire from or recover behind. Great if you're into enclosed melee fights or a fan of watching water effects melt a PS2.

Emeraude Carrier
A very small, open air floating platform, perfect for fights where you want ringouts to be an actual threat. Or you're a hover leg user and you really want to lose friends.

Orbital Ring
A large, open space arena. In space. Has a lot of hiding holes to play whack a mole with, and is appropriate for making incredibly obvious Halo jokes.

Abyss
A huge, flat, enclosed area, with weird pylons jutting in and out of the walls. Perfect for your honorable robo-bushido duels or for naming your overlong LP thread after an obscure multiplayer stage in a little known game just to make a Dark Souls expansion reference. :haw:

But there we go. Now we have truly covered everything Another Age could possibly offer. Once again I'd like to thank everyone for sticking around and watching and commenting, it's been great, and I'll see you all for the next go-round.

And a special thanks goes out to all my co-commentators, I hope to have each and every one of you onboard once again for the next adventure into crushing corporate nihilism and human rights violations:

nine-gear crow
GOTTA STAY FAI
motoh
JamieTheD
ArclightBorealis
ModeWondershot
Blastinus
MithosKuu
Seiren
Rafza
CJacobs
Zorak
Cirvante

And our final point totals for the Giant Robot Reference Powerhour:

Stormgear - 3
Spark That Bled - 2
Rigged Death Trap - 2
Big Scary Owl - 1
Ashsaber - 1
Feldherren - 1
Polaron - 1
Televisio Frankus - 1
StarFyter - 1

And coming in on top with a grand total of six points is dis astranagant. Please submit your wishes for a forums upgrade or avatar, and I will hook you up with your prize. And a big thanks for everyone else who participated in helping make the tail end of Another Age just a bit more interesting.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
AC3 and ACSL have my favourite plot of the series, so I look forward to hearing you talk about them

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

And coming in on top with a grand total of six points is dis astranagant. Please submit your wishes for a forums upgrade or avatar, and I will hook you up with your prize. And a big thanks for everyone else who participated in helping make the tail end of Another Age just a bit more interesting.

I could use plat again. Can't wait for AC3, Silent Line is my all time favorite AC game.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 5, 2017

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

dis astranagant posted:

The controls at this point in the series really don't like precision aiming, so don't feel bad. Last time I played through one did some custom binds in PCSX2 to let me do proper right stick aiming and it makes rockets broke as hell.

I'm just bad with a controller in general, I drive like a drunk with anything other than mouse/keys :(
But I did end up coming up with a crazy custom control scheme for AC3 and SL, mapping move/look to the d-pad and face buttons to mimic a dual-stick setup. It works surprisingly well! I'm also really looking forward to SL, I think two of my favourite builds need parts from that. Midweight with the rifle EO core and a rifle in each hand, and an ultralight with the PEGASUS, MG-800 and a howitzer or blade.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Was thinking on using PCSX2 and configuring it to use the mouse as the right analog stick so I could aim rockets real good. Maybe that's too much overkill?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
A bit off-topic but I stumbled upon this game and thought you guys might enjoy it:

https://indigogaming.itch.io/garrison-archangel

It has clear Armored Core inspirations. Gameplay is solid from what I've tried so far.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Big Scary Owl posted:

A bit off-topic but I stumbled upon this game and thought you guys might enjoy it:

https://indigogaming.itch.io/garrison-archangel

It has clear Armored Core inspirations. Gameplay is solid from what I've tried so far.

I definitely had a prognosticative moment (if that's a word) and knew for a fact before I clicked the trailer that there was going to be some butt-pounding "future" techno.

Looks interesting, but I'm hoping there are plans for online multiplayer. Don't get me wrong, local multiplayer is great and more games today should feature it, but with a worldwide leaderboard and regular tournaments, this would shine.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

No I'm not dead and sadly this isn't to inform you that AC3 is starting right now, but I do need to save the thread from lapsing before I send it in for archiving.

But so that I don't leave you all completely without content, Wonder Festival is going on right now and it's making me very sad

https://twitter.com/Sen_DQX/status/891522078272143360
https://twitter.com/souten_emma/status/891655898229166081
https://twitter.com/souten_emma/status/891653901681741824
https://twitter.com/souten_emma/status/891658891775270912

Those classic PSX AC1/MoA customs :negative:

Also, dis astranagant, I need an e-mail for you so I can get plat applied to your account.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

No I'm not dead and sadly this isn't to inform you that AC3 is starting right now, but I do need to save the thread from lapsing before I send it in for archiving.

But so that I don't leave you all completely without content, Wonder Festival is going on right now and it's making me very sad

https://twitter.com/Sen_DQX/status/891522078272143360
https://twitter.com/souten_emma/status/891655898229166081
https://twitter.com/souten_emma/status/891653901681741824
https://twitter.com/souten_emma/status/891658891775270912

Those classic PSX AC1/MoA customs :negative:

Also, dis astranagant, I need an e-mail for you so I can get plat applied to your account.

dis.astranagant@gmail.com

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I like to think I made the better choice in going with the nineball colour scheme. That is some cool stuff but seeing them side by side, I also think I prefer the AC3 version of the original cover AC.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ignore this

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 17, 2017

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's understandable in light of that that you'd want to drop it, which is a shame as I'd been enjoying watching this (though utterly failed to post in the thread at all). Still though, I'm glad you went through Another Age at least, which is a game I tried to like but found the lack of an arena a problem. Might be because AC2 and Master of Arena were my first forays into the series.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ignore, preventing purge while archiving

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hopefully one last thing to save this from expiring while I wait for Baldurk to come from being MIA for a few months now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
Hey, I know it's kinda like AGES too late to ask this but the song that you play in the 100% video during the desert train part. What song is that. It sounds drat familiar but I'm rear end at finding songs

• Locked thread