Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

quote:

You’re beautiful. Gain a String on everyone.
Like I said, I'm crazy popular now. Everyone either wants to be me or to be with me.
Possibly both.

quote:

Someone once saved your unlife. They gain 2 Strings on you.

One downside of my sudden popularity is that I've got a lot more to do. So, I was rushing out of school one day to get home to finish my homework, so I didn't notice the car about to run me down as I was crossing the street. Thankfully, Sophie tackled me out of the way. After the daze from being tackled wore off, I profusely thanked her, but all she did was give me a funny look when I didn't really bleed after being all scraped up from her tackle. So, yeah, that could be a little awkward in the near future, so I've been planning a bit of a charm offensive.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

quote:

You’ve been watching someone, trying to learn from them what it means to be human. Gain two Strings on them.
Thinking Sophie or Tatsu for maximum improper lessons. Thoughts?

quote:

Your family seeks to control your every move. The head of your family gains two Strings on you.
Grandpa Oroborous gets this one.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

quote:

Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them 2 Strings.
Not many people come lookin' for me these days, for obvious reasons. So ya can imagine how weird it was to have Sophie from homeroom trying to find me. Needed to get into school after hours to do... something. I wasn't really payin' attention. Anyway, no real big deal, even though she sure made it seem like one, thanks to the old metal shop. Had to help her up the tree and through the window, she's not the best climber apparently. Once we were in I told her to go do her whatever and that I'd wait there to help her get down, since there was no way in hell she could do it on her own. Then I settled in under one of the tables to wait.

I still dunno what she was up to but I gotta assume it was a doozy since it took forever and a day. Lotta time to think. Even today I still try to avoid thinkin' about my thing too much, doesn't really do much good y'know? Well eventually I got tired of running the usual thought lines and went somewhere new. Like how I'd never took Sophie for a prankster, how I'd never taken her for anything really now that I thought about it. How that was a bit of a shame, since she was actually pretty funny, with a wicked imagination, talkin' about the feds huntin' monsters and magic and stuff.
Not hard on the eyes either, shallow as that sounds.

Now right when I was thinkin' that it was a shame Old Tatsu never noticed her when that little voice that ya have said, "Well why doesn't this Tastu do something?" So I told myself, 'Self, y'know why, don't be more of an idiot than usual.' "Well have ya even thought about it?" 'Why bother? Everything sucks unless I make some crazy.' "Stopped fighting already? Weak." Now that was just uncalled for. I was not gonna get insulted by my own monologue. Then Sophie came back and we had to scram so that whole train of thought got shelved. Once I got home I actually considered it a bit, and after a few days, I figured out that, yeah there was definitely something there. It's no hit of normal, but its more emotion than anything else. Leave it to me to find a way to make this even more complicated.

quote:

Did anyone watch you die, or watch you come back to life? If so, you both gain 2 Strings on each other.
Mia nabbed it.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 19, 2016

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

quote:

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.
I had to sneak into the school after dark not that long ago - don't ask. I really wasn't sure how to do it, so I asked Tatsu for help, since he's our resident rebel without a cause. Normally doing that sort of thing would have stressed me out like anything but with him it was actually kinda fun! I wonder how I can make it up to him...

... speaking of which, I really should do something nice for Mia some time to thank her for letting me copy her test answers that time... and all the other times. She's pretty withdrawn, but I reckon we'd get on well if I could get her to hang out. Maybe I'll bake some cookies?

quote:

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

Ferrosol posted:

Someone is thinking about taking something from you - discuss with them and decide what it is. You each get a String on one another.
Ginny is really big on, like, environmental stuff, she gets quite uptight about it. Which would be none of my business, except Taylor wants to know who's involved in this anti-logging campaign and who's pulling the strings. Maybe they're fairies or something? Nah, that sounds stupid. Anyway, I thought I could just look at those notes she always carries around, but turns out they're pretty detailed and I think I put her guard up. So I guess I'll have to try something else... maybe if she thought I was interested in the campaign? That might be my way in...

Capfalcon posted:

Someone once saved your unlife. They gain 2 Strings on you.
Cassius is a bit of a mystery to me - he's gone from like nobody to the hottest guy in the class, but I can't figure out what's changed? Anyway, I think something weird is going on, because I knocked him out of the way of a car this one time and he got up off the pavement without so much as a scratch. And there was the time he helped me get into that warehouse - that guard was practically drooling. I almost want to point the scanner at him but what would happen if I'm right? Would he be a target too?

Gato fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 22, 2016

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

ShootaBoy posted:

quote:

Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them 2 Strings.

Well we could go with a double header and combine this with Ginny's someone is in love with you background. But if you'd rather spread the strings around it's up to you.

Gato posted:

quote:

Someone is thinking about taking something from you - discuss with them and decide what it is. You each get a String on one another.

I'm happy to take this one.

Totally fine with this but what would Sophie take?

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 17, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

quote:

You’ve been watching someone, trying to learn from them what it means to be human. Gain two Strings on them.

I've been watching Cassius a lot. He went from being a loser to like, the most popular guy in school. I don't get how he did it, but there has to be some clue there, doesn't there? If I can find out his trick, maybe I can be popular too. And have a lot of friends.

I like looking at him too. Just sort of feels nice. Is that weird? It's probably weird. Sorry. Did I before though? I don't know.

ShootaBoy posted:

Did anyone watch you die, or watch you come back to life? If so, you both gain 2 Strings on each other.

Tatsu... Everyone knows about the accident with the truck and his miraculous recovery. But I don't think anyone but me knows about the first one. Or... the first one as far as I know. It was at the edge of town, I was out there... well if you must know I was carving some runes into the bark of a tree. Had to do a circle of them around town for some reason. Anyway, I'd finished the last one and was walking back when I saw him laying there by the side of the road. His body was twisted around like a rag doll, or roadkill. I froze, staring at him, for what might have been a minute or an hour. Wasn't sure what I should do.

My phone had died ages ago, so I couldn't call an ambulance. Would my family tell me off if I didn't bring is body back for some ritual? But then he twitched. I'd thought he was dead for sure, but I was pretty far away. Didn't like to get close, what if someone came by and thought I killed him? But he twitched.

And then he started picking himself up. Slowly. Unbending his arms and stuff like someone waking up after sleeping in a really uncomfortable position. Very slowly. Then he got on his bike and drove off like nothing had happened. All I could figure was he'd passed out from the impact or something but not hurt himself otherwise. When he woke up he was fine. That seems like something that could happen, right? But then I heard about his truck accident. Can you really be that lucky twice? ...I don't know what to make of that.

Gato posted:

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

Sophie sits next to me in class. She seems pretty shy, always on her phone. One day during class I noticed she was always writing the answers down right after I did. Some careful glances and I realized she was looking at my paper out of the corner of her eye. So I sort of slid my paper over to the side of the desk nearer to her and wrote a little bigger. Maybe she'll be my friend? That's what friends do, right? Help each other out?

GodFish fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 21, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

quote:

So, what with the whole "saving my life" thing, I've been trying to be nice to Sophie. Problem is... she's kinda weird. Always skulking around and junk.

So, one day, she's skulking around like normal, but it seems like she REALLY wants to get past a guard near a warehouse. (look, I've just learned to read people since the whole "turned into a vampire. It's hard to explain, ok?). I mean, yeah, it was kinda shady, but I had been trying to find something to do for her. So, I go and be my charming self, distracting the guard while she sneaks in the back. Before long, I've got him eating out of the palm of my hand, and Sophie hustles out the back. So, I managed to help her out. But, I figure for not telling anyone what happened, she owes me.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
While you guys finalize the details for your background connections, let's work on homeroom seating. Write your character's name wherever they sit, then place the NPC you made in character creation and another one. This can be someone from your background or someone you just made up. If it's the latter, give a brief description of them.

pre:
[] [] [] [] []
[] [] [] [] []
[] [] [] [] []

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Gato posted:

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

I'll take this one

pre:
[] [Ginny] [] [] []
[] [] [] [] [Spider]
[] [Sam] [] [] []
Ginny being the massive teachers pet that she is sits in the front row because she has nothing to hide. Meanwhile her (step-)sister Samantha being the cool and popular kid sits at the back with the other cool and popular kids.
Spider Aka Richard Johnson is a massive computer nerd but surprisingly into environmental causes. Or at least into Ginny who's into environmental causes which is almost the same thing.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 19, 2016

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

pre:
[] [Ginny] [] [Thomas] []
[] [] [] [Tatsu] [Spider]
[] [Sam] [] [] [Elliot]
Tatsu takes a middle seat, since any good delinquent knows that the back row gets just as much attention as the front. Thomas, being a clean cut type, sits in the front.

Elliot, one of Tatsu's (former... ish? Maybe? It's complicated.) loose circle of friends. Was always something of a voice of reason to the group, sort of a mother hen almost. Really into her art.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 20, 2016

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

pre:
[]    [Ginny] []       [Thomas] [Lily]
[Jim] []      [Sophie] [Tatsu]  [Spider]
[]    [Sam]   []       []       [Elliot]
Sophie sits right in the middle of class, more by accident than design. Her friend, the unfortunately Jim Bond, sits by the window.

Lily is a sweet, shy girl who sits in the front row because her hearing isn't fantastic - she's sort of been pushed into being keen by default.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
pre:
[]    [Ginny] []       [Thomas] [Lily]
[Jim] [Mia]   [Sophie] [Tatsu]  [Spider]
[]    [Tony]  [Sam]    [Susan]  [Elliot]
Tony Beckworth: Swapped seats with Susan to sit next to Mia. Has at least a small crush on her that she is completely unaware of. Does fortune telling.

Susan Ivarsson: One of the cool kids who hangs out with Sam. On the cheer team, preppy.

I moved Sam one to the right so I could fit Mia next to Sophie as established and Tony next to Mia. Sam remained in the back as per her thing, hope that's fine with you Ferrosol

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

pre:
[Kyle]  [Ginny] [Cassius] [Thomas] [Lily]
[Jim]   [Mia]   [Sophie]  [Tatsu]  [Spider]
[Jason] [Tony]  [Sam]     [Susan]  [Elliot]
I still sit right in the front of the class, but Kyle and Jason had to trade places to make room for Kyle's wheelchair. My vision's better than ever thanks to the whole "vampire" thing, though, so it's no problem.

Jason, my best friend sits in the back of the class now, which is pretty lame. Wish he could be up here with me again.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 21, 2016

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Highlights:

Tatsuya highlight Virginia
Lamia highlight Cassius
Cassius highlight Lamia
Sophie highlight Tatsuya
Virginia highlight Sophie

I'll put up MC highlights in the first post of the thread.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Cassius your new Hotness is confusing to Mia.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Mia, are you really going to keep us all in the dark about your family?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Sophie you really need to stop keeping us in the dark about your nocturnal activities.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Why ya gotta be so cold, Ginny?

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Tatsu seems like a fun guy, but there's something kinda Cold about him.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Thread's up

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765536

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
Love the new nameplate, Godfish.

*ducks back out*

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Oh, thanks! :D

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Gato I figure that at some point during all of that Sophie and Tatsu would have swapped numbers, I just forgot to explicitly say it.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
In preperation for the start of the next session I cleared out the notes on the String sheet. I figure once a session is over, we can remove them so that there's not a whole bunch to go through as the game goes on.

As for the starting prompt, I figure I'd ask you guys if you want to start the next session on the very next day (Tuesday) or skip ahead a few days (to Wednesday or Thursday). I'll be in the #swampthings IRC channel as well but I'm also putting it up here for when I'm not around or if you want to discuss it here too.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I'm fine with a time skip to Thursday or even Friday, and after hashing it out with Godfish, Mia's been spending the nights at Cassius' house, after a conversation that went something like this:

quote:

Cassius: "So... before I agree to anything, you still haven't told me why the hell you were in Ginny's house in the first place. I mean, you're not going to try and kill Dog, right?"

Mia: "My family wants to get their old political power back, and so they sent me and Atem to kill their dog to scare the police off from trying anything. I was trying to figure out how not to do it! See, I texted Sophie a bunch. ...Also, do you have a cellphone charger? My phone is almost dead."

Cassius: "...Um... Yes. here."
(Oh dear lord what have I gotten myself into.)

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I'd also be fine with a time skip.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

I'd be fine with a time skip.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Sorry for disappearing, I always forget to refresh OOC threads. I'm fine with a time skip, gotta get to the fireworks factory party somehow.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
spending my advance on Temptation.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Got an exam and a presentation in the next few days, so posting may be a little erratic, but I'll try to keep up.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Gato, you still around? You haven't been on IRC, so just making sure you're able to keep playing.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

So, like I worked out with Helio I'm taking the Queen's Clique in place of the Ghouls usual gang.

I'm gonna go with them being talented, in their own areas. Elliot does art, Tess does soccer, and Thomas does... something I'll think of eventually.

Demands: The want Tatsu to be their for them and to let them be their for him.

Trigger: They go off when they feel one of the gang is being threatened, physically or socially.

Lemme know if that's all good to go and junk. I probably hosed something or other up. Once I get the official sign off I'll add it to my sheet in the thread.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Ok, PC issues sorted out...ish. Gonna try and post where I'm due over the course of this week, in between piecing my internet life back together from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Might as well make it offical. I'm really not feeling the game anymore. So I'm going to drop out. Apologies to everyone involved and thanks for the game.

• Locked thread