Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Ranzear posted:

Except there was a reason for that and the ending was so rushed they couldn't schedule David in time to make it land.

I'd never heard an attempt was made to get him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Personally, the whole thing sounds like a post-hoc justification made up by someone utterly unfamiliar with game dev. You do not call the voice actors as part of a last minute crunch, that side of things gets done far earlier than anything else (precisely because of this). You're more likely to have the voice lines sitting there for years while you make the rest of the game, and in the case where you've completely rewritten the script since then, you call them back and just throw away the unused lines. There is no situation where you just forgot to call an actor who you've worked with in every other game in the series.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah pretty sure Kojima just wanted a cool actor to voice the hero this time since he’s a Hollywood-head. The story justification doesn’t really make sense considering the other snake is also voiced by Sutherland in Ground Zeroes.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think the real damning (if you can get that severe with it, which I can't, because as much as I love MGS it's not particularly serious) thing about Snake being recast is that it's not like he re-cast Akio Otsuka in the JP dub with a famous Japanese live action actor.

So it doesn't strike me as something that was considered at any real length. Probably just did it because he had binged a bunch of 24 DVDs in the years leading into production or something.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Konosuba, given that Kazuma's voice actor is the oldest in the core cast and he's only 47. The Gundam boys are both in their 70s and still doing recurring roles in weekly TV with Detective Conan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
MGS5 was the first game in the series that was mocapped and scripted around the American release first, rather than second like all the previous titles. That probably played into getting a bigger name like Keifer.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

MGS5 was the first game in the series that was mocapped and scripted around the American release first, rather than second like all the previous titles. That probably played into getting a bigger name like Keifer.

It quite simple in that Kojima is obsessed with celebrities. It can lead to fun things with the new stuff but it did affect the end of Metal Gear.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm not sure what this has to do with Konosuba

Kazuma has stealth camo.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Heck the woman who was voicing goku is still alive.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm not sure what this has to do with Konosuba

Kazuma and Kazuhira Miller.

Two Kaz's, both are funny.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Takoluka posted:

Kazuma has stealth camo.

The characters in this show are the perfect group of jerky doofuses. I love them all.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Really enjoyed Darkness having to herd a group of cats.

The ED is also very good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I knew how the ED would go as soon as it started. It's great.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Watched this over the last week. Didn't know anything going in other than it was popular, funny, and isekai so I expected some light, fun isekai trash and not one of the better comedy shows of the last decade lol

Could gush about anything about it, really, but what makes it so great is how it all comes together. There's good gags and character work that I assume comes straight from the LNs, voice actors are obviously amazing at selling these, and the direction/editing around these gags is pretty masterful in how well they're paced. Like, it's genuinely impressive to me how good they are at extended jokes where you can see the punchline coming from a mile away but you're still laughing at how hard they commit to the setup (little girl from Aqua's cult and wounded flower girl from last ep, for example).

Didn't know that the 3rd season was just starting going in (since it was both old and popular enough that I thought if it's still running it's gotta be on the 4th or 5th season by now) but I guess I chose the right time to catch on. I normally wait for a cour to be done before catching up to an anime but I'm definitely in for watching this weekly.

Anyway, I've watched everything but the Megumin prequel. Currently saving that for a rainy day but thought I'd ask, is that important enough that I should watch it sooner to get what's going on with stuff later in the season or is it fine to be patient with it? (looked at the last couple of pages of the thread before posting and nobody was talking about it, so if it's straight up bad I wouldn't mind a heads up either.)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

they want shady posted:

Anyway, I've watched everything but the Megumin prequel. Currently saving that for a rainy day but thought I'd ask, is that important enough that I should watch it sooner to get what's going on with stuff later in the season or is it fine to be patient with it? (looked at the last couple of pages of the thread before posting and nobody was talking about it, so if it's straight up bad I wouldn't mind a heads up either.)

It's completely optional and honestly isn't that good. Definitely nowhere near as funny as Konosuba itself is, which makes sense because it's adapting a novel spinoff by a different writer. While i wouldn't call it trash, you're probably going to be disappointed with it if you're expecting it to be anywhere near as fun as the main story.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

they want shady posted:

Like, it's genuinely impressive to me how good they are at extended jokes where you can see the punchline coming from a mile away but you're still laughing at how hard they commit to the setup (little girl from Aqua's cult and wounded flower girl from last ep, for example).

The cult girl is my favorite gag of the show and one of my favorite comedy gags of any medium. The timing. The direction. The music. The delivery. The reaction. Masterful loving work. :allears:

Edit: Gotta post it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muAAtYGeij4

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 20, 2024

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

AlternateNu posted:

The cult girl is my favorite gag of the show and one of my favorite comedy gags of any medium. The timing. The direction. The music. The delivery. The reaction. Masterful loving work. :allears:

If you weren’t going to post it I was. It’s also one of my favorite gags ever. The triple paper tear is magnificent!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

they want shady posted:

I'd recommend it for a watch sometime when there's inevitably another huge gap between KonoSuba seasons and you want to return to the setting. I'm a big fan of the main KonoSuba show and even I kind of drifted in and out of following up with the Megamin prequel and I don't think I've seen all of it yet. It's not bad, but having all the main party to play off of really adds a lot to this type of show.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
the megamin prequel is truly the yunyun prequel

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
prequel isn't as good but
https://udba.org/netorare.mp4

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Got it, thanks everyone. I'll save the Megumin prequel for a lull between seasons or just some afternoon where I'm itching for more Konosuba.

AlternateNu posted:

It's so loving good. Love that they reuse the cut of the little girl crying and reaching out later (think it was when the town was chasing off Aqua after her speech). Season 2 was just full of great episode enders in general (Darkness bondage when fending off the hawk runners, "I'm carrying his child," etc.) Really, ever since the interrogation scene in the first ep os S2 where Kazuma just has to fess up I knew that was where Konosuba was about to get really good lol

Season 1 was solid and it already had some really good gags, but the way they've built on the characters since has been amazing

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
I couldn't put my finger on what changed between S1 and S2 but there was a serious uptick in my enjoyment.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

A jargogle posted:

I couldn't put my finger on what changed between S1 and S2 but there was a serious uptick in my enjoyment.

Season 1 has the godawful episode with the dolls and the bathrooms and also has to do character introductions which sucks a lot of the energy out of the beginning. S2 could hit the ground running.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
"You know the drill, everyone sucks, LET'S GOOOOOOO!"

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

A jargogle posted:

For me, s2 is when Megumin and especially Darkness quit being solely one note one joke characters. They start to get more depth to them, which allows for better banter and scene scenarios with them. Also, I do just plainly think the humor, from a visual and writing perspective, improves between the two seasons, which makes sense as the writer of the original Light novels and the animators improve their craft and the voice actors get more comfortable in the roles of the characters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there also some ONA episodes of the show out there as extras?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arc Hammer posted:

Are there also some ONA episodes of the show out there as extras?

There's 2 OVAs, one after s1 and one after s2.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Julias posted:

There's 2 OVAs, one after s1 and one after s2.

Which are actually required watched because IIRC, the first one introduces Wiz and Vanir which just kind of pop up during the regular seasons. I remember being very confused.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AlternateNu posted:

Which are actually required watched because IIRC, the first one introduces Wiz and Vanir which just kind of pop up during the regular seasons. I remember being very confused.

Nah, Wiz got introduced in s1 and Vanir in s2. Yunyun does get introduced in the s1 OVA, but s2 basically reintroduced her anyways so it's not necessary for any context.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The only real required watching outside the seasons is the movie, as it's basically season 2.5 and has important story impacts moving forward. Technically episode 1 somewhat summarized what happened in it, but it was fairly brief. The two OVAs are good and fun to see, but not required.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Julias posted:

Nah, Wiz got introduced in s1 and Vanir in s2. Yunyun does get introduced in the s1 OVA, but s2 basically reintroduced her anyways so it's not necessary for any context.

IIRC the way they introduce Wiz makes it feel like you missed an episode.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Electric Phantasm posted:

IIRC the way they introduce Wiz makes it feel like you missed an episode.

That’s the awful doll episode I mentioned earlier. It’s really obvious they hacked that story apart to get it to fit correctly in the timeline

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Think watching the Megumin prequel before the movie would work?

On one hand the prequel might spoil bits of the movie.
On the other, the prequel was boring cause half of it was repeating things you find out in the movie

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Meme Emulator posted:

That’s the awful doll episode I mentioned earlier. It’s really obvious they hacked that story apart to get it to fit correctly in the timeline

Wiz's actual intro from the novels is excised completely from the show which is sad.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Yeah, haven't read the LNs yet. So as an anime only watcher I think part of why season 1 feels like it's gluing stuff together from whatever it must is those two episodes where it's important that we know these characters from somewhere but it's just choosing to skip to the stories were we do rather than waste an episode on their introductions. Hell, when coming into the Wiz episode in season 1 I though she was actually Dullahan since her hairstyle was parted so we only saw one eye and that's all we saw of his face lol

Other episode that did this was Succubus ep that started with Kazuma already being buds with Dusty and the other guy. Both of wich did feel jarring, but in retrospect don't feel bad, since even though they glossed over the stories that introduced them they still got their character traits introduced pretty quick and since they only had 10 eps in season one I can understand how those were a worthy sacrifice to get us to the destroyer fight that season.

And season 2 has at least one or two episodes that need us to know each of them on the outset and those are great (the dungeon for Dusty and the entire 2nd half of the season for Wiz) so if their introductions weren't funny enough I'm glad we glossed them over for what it's worth.

e: I actually watched the 1st OVA thinking that was Wiz's introduction (which it most definitely wasn't) when that episode came up lol

they want shady fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Konosuba seems to sneak by with cut stuff more easily due to the comedic nature. Like each episode can be taken as a bunch of singular skits glued together, so its easy to hid cut content when every 4-5 minute scene is interrupted with the eyecatch going "Konosuba" to move on to the next one