Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poohat666
Jun 15, 2011

Believe for free!!!
I am not sure if this is the proper place to post this.

I have an older laptop its an ASUS A52J and I haven't had a problem with it until I downloaded Windows 10. The laptop has Intel graphic display drivers installed currently. When I had Windows 7 I was able to install and update my Nvidia Geforce 310m through the Nvidia site but now the Nvidia graphics display driver won't install and no matter what I do the computer won't recognize the NVIDIA driver. I have since rolled back to Windows 7 thinking that it would solve the problem and allow me to use NVIDIA but for some reason its the same.

I have tried absolutely everything I can think of and even asked a few friends on Facebook but all the advice I have been given just doesn't work.

I was told that my laptop or whatever was now 'legacy' but I don't think that should affect my ability to at least install an older driver, I miss the ability to tweak the settings and at least manage to play some graphic intensive games with a few settings adjustments, I can't even play Halflife now without OpenGL.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
So you installed the latest Intel Chipset INF drivers and Intel HD Graphics drivers, and it's not working with the Geforce 341.92 drivers? (Windows 10 Link) What happens when you try to install this?

Alereon fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 7, 2016

Poohat666
Jun 15, 2011

Believe for free!!!

Alereon posted:

So you installed the latest Intel Chipset INF drivers and Intel HD Graphics drivers, and it's not working with the Geforce 341.92 drivers? (url="http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/94796"]Windows 10 Link[/url]) What happens when you try to install this?

Nope, I followed the instructions at the forum and it still won't install. This is literally the most difficult and slightly annoying thing I have ever encountered on my computer. I was considering just buying a solid state drive and installing it and chucking this harddrive.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
What happens when you try to install it?

Poohat666
Jun 15, 2011

Believe for free!!!

Alereon posted:

What happens when you try to install it?

I go to the NVIDIA site and Download the correct drivers. I then go to install and then it goes to verify and it goes through the motions of verification and then says ' The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware' which is odd because I had no problems for the last 4 years using NVIDIA drivers and my computer is covered in NVIDIA stickers. The installation then shutdowns and I can go into my C: drive and there is the folder where Nvidia extracted sitting there so I either erase it or muck around with it. I have tried multiple drivers, my computer will not find the Nvidia drivers or even freshly install them.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Does your Geforce appear in Device Manager? If not, check it may be disabled, many laptops have a switch to turn it on or off. Also, could you post your laptop model number? Knowing what machine you have would help. It will probably be on a sticker on the underside.

Poohat666
Jun 15, 2011

Believe for free!!!
I think I figured it out. NVIDIA OPTIMUS drivers don't seem to exist for windows 10. All I can find is a windows 7 compatible one. I'm thinking its because the integrated graphics card via optimus isn't being updated so its not allowing an upgrade. Any ideas how to find Optimus for Windows 10?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
There is no Optimus support on Windows 10, you will have to pick one of the GPUs to use, but you can switch between them by rebooting. That should not prevent you from installing the normal GPU drivers as long as the nVidia GPU is enabled, however. Does it show up in Device Manager?

Poohat666
Jun 15, 2011

Believe for free!!!
no it does not, it is completely gone from my computer.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd check the BIOS to see if there is a switch to toggle whether the GPU is active in there.

If that doesn't work then I'd take out the battery and disconnect the power, and hold the power button down on the laptop to try to make it discharge completely. Then power it back on and see if the hardware is detected in Windows 7.

Poohat666
Jun 15, 2011

Believe for free!!!
i'll give it a try.

Poohat666
Jun 15, 2011

Believe for free!!!
Nothing seems to work. Very lame!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd suggest trying a live Linux distro and see if the GPU shows up there. You could either burn an optical disk or make a bootable thumb drive.

Also, have you tried doing a fresh install of Windows 7 since the problem began? In rereading your posts it sounds like you used the rollback feature from Windows 10, and I'm wondering if a clean install of Windows 7 would have the same problem.

Poohat666
Jun 15, 2011

Believe for free!!!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd suggest trying a live Linux distro and see if the GPU shows up there. You could either burn an optical disk or make a bootable thumb drive.

Also, have you tried doing a fresh install of Windows 7 since the problem began? In rereading your posts it sounds like you used the rollback feature from Windows 10, and I'm wondering if a clean install of Windows 7 would have the same problem.

I didn't do a rollback it was a fresh install of Windows 7 , i'll check out the Linux distro. I have been wanting to install Linux but I don't have much experience with Linux beyond Rasperberri Pi and I want to be able to play all my steam games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Poohat666 posted:

I didn't do a rollback it was a fresh install of Windows 7 , i'll check out the Linux distro. I have been wanting to install Linux but I don't have much experience with Linux beyond Rasperberri Pi and I want to be able to play all my steam games.

I personally am fond of openSUSE with a KDE desktop, but any of the major distributions should be fine. Some Steam games are available on Linux, but it's still only a fraction of them. Actually, I just checked my Steam library, and was somewhat surprised to find that of the 88 games I have in there, 52 are available in Linux. There are still a lot of Windows-only games, but apparently more ports have been coming out than I was aware of.

• Locked thread