Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
wow that sucked, didn't even look like jarred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

ChogsEnhour posted:

I had a fight with some kid because of the Simpsons in school. It was the one where Homer sings, "Hey there blimpy boy!" But this kid kept saying "Hey there bludgy boy!" And insisted that's what the lyrics were and the way he kept singing it over and over with his stupid fat face and horrible teeth and he just kept singing it so I hit him and we had a fight. I think we were about 10? Maybe?

Well, that's my strongest Simpsons memory anyway.

10 year old you did good.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i was talking to a friend about the simpsons after class last night and she said she liked the new episodes, and that the most recent season was one of the best ever. what a tragedy

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Not a Children posted:

What made Leela a bad character? She was kind of annoying but I thought that was just one of her character traits.

Leela is fine in a vacuum. She's reasonably competent, responsible, etc. She's not a funny character. Which is fine in any other situation, she'd be the straight man. But she's part of the zany future world, so she doesn't function as the straight man. Leela's character doesn't create comedy, which is a problem in a comedy show.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

boom boom boom posted:

Leela is fine in a vacuum. She's reasonably competent, responsible, etc. She's not a funny character. Which is fine in any other situation, she'd be the straight man. But she's part of the zany future world, so she doesn't function as the straight man. Leela's character doesn't create comedy, which is a problem in a comedy show.

Nah, it's like anything else in the hands of a good writer Leela can be funny. To me it always seemed like even though Fry is the "everyman", but Leela is really the fish out of water in zany future based on confused recollection of modern times. Leela is also really smug and they could have had some great Peggy Hill-esque know-nothing-know-it-all moments.

Problem with Futurama imo is they got hung up on shmaltz and Fry/Leela romance and Frys Dog :qq: and reuniting Leela with her parents :qq:

I hope Rick and Morty stays funny because I really enjoy it for the humor and don't really give a poo poo about Jerrys marital life or Ricks moral redemption arc. It's a great backdrop for comedy but when it becomes the focus of the show the show dies.

Kind of like how the Sam and Diane bullshit almost killed Cheers back in the day, until whatsherface luckily quit to go be a movie star (lol) and the show got funny again.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

boom boom boom posted:

I liked Leela, she worked well as the straight man who'd often detour into dry cynicism regarding everything around her. I don't think the show would work without her. In a crazy world like futurama you a little bit of grounding and Leela provided that.

The problem for me was after the series' resurrection, she started to be more ZANY! and it devolved into her beating up everything with kung fu while shouting 'HWUH!'. She kind of lost her personality after that (and she should never have actually fallen in love with Fry).

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

You'll dudes seemed pretty ticked off about this cartoon...

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The problem with the resurrected Futuramas was it kept trying to make timely jokes, while the classic one kept a much looser feel. Proof of concept is Season 2 has aged much better than season 8 in terms of refrences while being a decade older

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
The problem with new futurama is that "The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings" is one of the best final episodes a tv show has ever made.. ever.. and its kind of hard to top that.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Nutsngum posted:

The problem with new futurama is that "The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings" is one of the best final episodes a tv show has ever made.. ever.. and its kind of hard to top that.

I honestly can't tell.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

Is that the one where Bender toots in Lela's ear and Fry gets the devil's hhands?

Why didn't she just ask Fry to play the song when she could hear again?? Is the joke that everyone i s dumb?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The great thing about Simpsons is that all they need to do is fire all the writers, or move them over to the Family Guy camp and replace them with a good mix of veteran and new talent and tell them that if they do not produce a good season they will be reassigned to writing for BorderTown.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

paco650 posted:

Is that the one where Bender toots in Lela's ear and Fry gets the devil's hhands?

Why didn't she just ask Fry to play the song when she could hear again?? Is the joke that everyone i s dumb?

the devil took his hands back because fry's were dumb and bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i won a bet once because my coworker swore that when the smart people took over springfield they made the lights only green and red and it cut to lenny going "stay green stay green" and i tried to explain to him that it's stay yellow since people speed through yellows but he wasn't hearing it so i had to find the clip online.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
It's yellow. Professor Frink said that people sped through yellows thus making them more efficient. "Stay yellow stay yellow! Oh wow I'm making record time....if only I had a place to go".

I spent my childhood watching the first 10 or so seasons of simpsons four times a day.

It was the episode where Lisa joins Mensa and they take over the town
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Saved_Lisa's_Brain

If that helps you look for the clip to win work fights.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

Bill NYSE posted:

Sewiouswy.

r/simps

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Houle posted:

It's yellow. Professor Frink said that people sped through yellows thus making them more efficient. "Stay yellow stay yellow! Oh wow I'm making record time....if only I had a place to go".

I spent my childhood watching the first 10 or so seasons of simpsons four times a day.

It was the episode where Lisa joins Mensa and they take over the town
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Saved_Lisa's_Brain

If that helps you look for the clip to win work fights.

this was nearly a decade ago, i showed him the clip and then he bought me lunch.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

now I'm watching an episode where Homer has one really strong arm for some reason, and he and scam the rich texan in an arm-wrestling grift and then he kidnaps them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Frog Act posted:

now I'm watching an episode where Homer has one really strong arm for some reason, and he and scam the rich texan in an arm-wrestling grift and then he kidnaps them.

then bart leaves military school and reluctantly joins homer in his 18 wheeler, and learns many harsh lessons about life.

• Locked thread