Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Problem description: Ever since I upgraded my PC to WIndows 10 a few months ago I've been having some issues trying to wake the computer from sleep. 25-50% of the time the computer will spin it's fans as if it is waking from sleep, stop, try again, the finally stop and just restart. This seems to be happening more and more this last week. This was not happening on Windows 7 as far as I can recall. I also overclocked a little while before the Windows 10 upgrade following a guide online, but I do not recall which sleep settings I may have changed.

Attempted fixes: I have played around with some sleep settings but nothing seems to have fixed it yet. Googling the problem gives me a lot of threads with fixes based on changing the power button settings, but this happens whether I use the power button to wake the computer or the mouse/keyboard. Many people also point to driver issues but my my display driver is kept up to date and my motherboard chipset drivers are as up to date as they can be (no Windows 10 version available). BIOS are up to date as well. Checking Event Viewer shows me that there was a critical Kernel-Power error and states "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." This makes me think that it is less of a Windows issue and maybe something else messing with sleep. I'm not sure what else to look for in there.

Recent changes: Windows 10 in-place upgrade. Overclock.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

System specs: Home-built PC:
code:
Asus P8P67 Rev 3
Intel Core i5-2500k
MSI Geforce GTX 970
16gigs ram
Crucial MX100 
Samsung 840 EVO (Windows Install)
Western Digital 1tb

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Radioactive Toy fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Update to the latest motherboard BIOS, that's what controls sleep/wake transitions and stuff like that.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Whoops sorry, I meant to mention that I'm on the most current BIOS version for my motherboard, 3602. I will edit that in to the original post.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

In case this happens to come up for anyone in the future, I solved this by disabling the Internal PLL Voltage in BIOS. The solution came from here and here.

• Locked thread