Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

jackyl posted:

plz explain "genuine interest in music"

liking the things that i like and approve of, and then fighting on forums about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Vlc unless you are completely retarded

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
subsonic for local music files, apple music for everything else

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

jackyl posted:

plz explain "genuine interest in music"

$10,000 audio cables and 1GB FLAC albums.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
if you use the same program to listen to music as you do to play videos then just kill yourself

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
if you hate the RAM inside your computer give musicbee a shot it has some cool features n stuff

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm2uvxqbUEc&t=25s

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

believe you made a mistake friend, that doesn't even have a slidewhistle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NCDsDYLls8&t=36s

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The best music player is Wingroove. It makes your .midi files sound AWESOME

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i was listening to midis as late as 2004. what a rotten life i've built for myself.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You know with technology at it's level these days I would not doubt it that you could fit a whole album into a hit clip.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9pgMmDmd8w

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the other day i was like "drat where is this sweet music coming from i like it" and it turned out that I'd gotten high and forgot I was installing a warez with a rockin' chiptune. if you aren't down with music piracy you could always consider this avenue for free downlaodable music

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

You don't have to risk installing computer aids just to get some sweet cracktro music, you can stream it all from https://www.scenemusic.net/demovibes/

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Remember when Grooveshark existed? It's a good thing that YouTube got better, or I'd miss being able to stream music of questionable audio quality that I didn't own, for free. Other than that, I mostly just play from the Amazon Music phone app, which I find to be easier to dick around with than alt-tabbing out of whatever program I'm paying attention to. If I decided to play directly from my computer I'd probably install Media Player Classic.

Also, I thought Winamp died a few years ago or something. That had been my media player until way back when I first got an Apple ipod and the two didn't play well together. I really wished they had though, because iTunes was gaaaaaarbage on PC back then, even compared to not being good at all right now.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
buy a turntable and a cassette deck and buy albums from label websites.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Spotify lets you use local mp3s too you idiots

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
AIMP is not total poo poo.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Just use VLC or, well what ever you like the look of the interface for unless you have it connected to expensive DAC+AMP then use Foobar. Foobar looks like poo poo unless your an autist and can spend the hours / days prettying it, but its still the best audio quality player by a long way mostly as it unfucks Microsoft's audio mess so its worth putting up with it looking like poo poo.

Someone needs to create a modern none autistic friendly music player that has good quality audio output, its a farce that a music player as poo poo as Foobar is still the best option.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
foob is excellent, dunno where all that autism rep comes from. It's super fast, does everything I want, runs perfectly under Wine on Linux, plays every kind of file, has umpteen excellent plugins and most of all it can handle immense music libraries and playlists very well. It completely blows every Linux music player I've tried out of the water. Try loading a gargantuan music folder in VLC and watch it pop up a gray box with no visual indicators that it's doing anything until you get tired of it and kill it. I don't care what foob looks like, it's easy now to pick one of the default configs and you have album art, a panel for editing playlists and one for the main playlist. It's not just a picky, "oh I prefer this" thing, it's far superior to anything I've seen. I can't imagine wanting to use something like winamp

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Bad Titty Puker posted:

foob is excellent, dunno where all that autism rep comes from.

The old default interface required writing scripts to configure it instead of dragging and dropping like you can do now. Your options were to learn a loving scripting language just to use a music player, download a premade configuration from a forum of autists that was sometimes nice looking but invariably completely loving bonkers to actually use, or be autistic and enjoy foobar to its fullest.

I still don't really care for the interface, but it's the only thing I've found that handles metadata editing and ReplayGain in a sane manner. And yeah, it has awesome plugins for module decoding and Adlib emulation and BASSMIDI and all sorts of poo poo.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 13, 2016

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

The old default interface required writing scripts to configure it instead of dragging and dropping like you can do now. Your options were to learn a loving scripting language just to use a music player, download a premade configuration from a forum of autists that was sometimes nice looking but invariably completely loving bonkers to actually use, or be autistic and enjoy foobar to its fullest.

That figures, and was probably around the time I was hunting around for a new music player

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I still use winamp 5 to listen to music because I only listen to full albums at a time and don't shuffle through my collection anymore. Music Monkey is good for editing files. I have a real old version of itunes just to transfer music to my ipod because holy poo poo they just keep making that program worse.

Also I wish someone made a 500GB portable music player these days. Streaming music sucks.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
tally me as another goon who's been using the same copy of winamp 2.9x I downloaded way back in like 2003 (and whatever previous versions since like 1998 or 1999).

Never liked foobar for all the reasons listed already though I do recognize it as a technically good player. I don't know why you'd use VLC or MPC for music (they're video players yah doofuses), itunes is utter loving garbage. If I'm not on my own computer I'll just use soundcloud or youtube for music.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

this poo poo must have been like a decade ago because I've been using foobar forever and never had to catch the 'tism

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
I just gently caress with iTunes on the desktop, export occasionally with the Google Play Music tool to access from my phone/tablet. I got in on GPM when it was 50,000 track flat limit.

I've been adding to that iTunes library for 13 years.

Are there better "players" for if I want to play a song or album/folder? Sure. But they don't have tags, an actual database, easy playlists, podcast downloading, or sync to my ipod classics that I use in various docks around home and work.

I don't get "lol VLC" unless you literally want to just play folders full of files and have no devices or podcast subscriptions.

someusername fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 13, 2016

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Foobars gotten way less autismy since the first time I tried it and it handles a large album collection pretty well. I still use Winamp for my "launch from explorer" program

I also download podcasts to my hard drive and play them with winamp because theres only so many stamps.com or foursquare ads a man can take

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

someusername posted:

I just gently caress with iTunes on the desktop, export occasionally with the Google Play Music tool to access from my phone/tablet. I got in on GPM when it was 50,000 track flat limit.

I've been adding to that iTunes library for 13 years.

Are there better "players" for if I want to play a song or album/folder? Sure. But they don't have tags, an actual database, easy playlists, podcast downloading, or sync to my ipod classics that I use in various docks around home and work.

I don't get "lol VLC" unless you literally want to just play folders full of files and have no devices or podcast subscriptions.

before I used winamp, I used itunes, and it suited my needs until a hd crash, where upon transferring the music to another hd I found the metadata was lost because itunes had been storing it internally instead of writing it to the file itself

never trusted it again

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Also if you think the UI in itunes is not the worst thing invented (any iteration) then i have a stake in realmedia to sell u

someusername
Jan 26, 2015

A Stupid Baby posted:

Also if you think the UI in itunes is not the worst thing invented (any iteration) then i have a stake in realmedia to sell u

You're right. I don't even use it as a player I realize, I use it as a manager so that I can push everything out to devices to play from.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Best music player

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Find the old zune software.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Bad Titty Puker posted:

foob is excellent, dunno where all that autism rep comes from. It's super fast, does everything I want, runs perfectly under Wine on Linux,

think i found it

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
youtubre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

spotify doesn't have poo poo from soundcloud or bandcamp or whatever else music i listen to that isn't under a record label

whip the llama's rear end and get winamp

agreed, losing access to my doujinshi j-core is a dealbreaker

• Locked thread