Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Sorry, I've been a long time lurker, never actually posted here before. I've been active in the online Roleplaying community before because, yeah, I like Dungeons and Dragons and all that kind of stuff. But there's been... a huge problem going on, and it just keeps getting weirder and weirder and more annoying.

Y'see, I'm black. I like playing black characters in things. It's not a problem, right? Asian people get to play asian characters and white people get to play white characters if they want, but its apparently a big problem if I want to play someone with a skin color the same as my own.

And then, on this one really hosed up webforum, https://www.stararmy.com , this happened.

quote:

[21:06] Kirkatan: I admit, I'm kinda selfish in what i'm doing in fleshing out Menelik's ethnocultural group. Because I'm always looking at scifi and it's always white as gently caress, so I figured "hey I could flesh out the site's fluff and setting more, do this thing that I like, -and- flesh out Menelik more"
[21:20] ShotJon: While dooming the race the to not be used as much because not many people want to play a black person. Not because they are racist, but just because it does not apeal to them.
[21:31] Luca: https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...
[21:31] Luca: Suddenly an enormous Phoenix Punch
[21:44] =-= Jim_AFK is now known as Jimmy
[21:44] Luca: WB Jim
[21:46] Kirkatan: People had no trouble playing asianish characters.
[21:48] Jimmy Not to mention that specifying something as the ONLY black nepleslians you can play is...rather limiting.
[21:50] Kirkatan: Oh is it now
[21:52] Luca: gets a stopwatch.
[22:07] Luca: hi Li
[22:07] -->| Li (WillLi0527@sorcery-qtlpgt.va.comcast.net) has joined #LSDFValta
[22:08] Kirkatan: ... A bit early on the gun
[22:08] Luca: still hit the target, didn't I?
[22:08] Kirkatan: No because Li didn't see it.
[22:09] Luca: well so much for a harmless joke - I once did it with Soresu and everyone thought I was a wizard.
[22:09] Jond: You aren't a wizard?
[22:10] Luca: Shh.
[22:10] Luca: Its a double-subversion.
[22:11] Kirkatan: ... Hey, Luca, am I doing something wrong by wanting to flesh out Menelik's ethnocultural and religious background? Because it's not something cool, like if it was vaguely asianish or based of something from europe"
[22:12] Luca: are you attempting to ask me a loaded question by saying that a african culture is not cool because you're implying asian and european cultures are 'cooler'?
[22:13] Luca: you sly motherfucker.
[22:13] Kirkatan: No, because Shotjon said that african and african diaspora stuff doesn't appeal to people
[22:14] Jond: Making a culture of black people for its sake is as bad as avoiding making one imo.
[22:14] Jond: Because either way its based solely on race and thats a poo poo-show.
[22:15] Kirkatan: I'm not making it just to say "hey look we have black people now"
[22:16] Luca: Flesh it out, by all means, try doing so in character instead of relying on wiki articles that'll be abandoned. Use it to make the character better.
[22:17] Luca: A lot of good culture stuff is unwritten in articles. Its bought in by characters
[22:17] Luca: like Tom loving Freeman. Poster boy for Ralt's culture.
[22:20] Lamb: " african and african diaspora stuff doesn't appeal to people"
[22:20] Lamb: With a few exceptions, I think that's true.
[22:20] Lamb: Zulu were pretty drat cool.
[22:22] Lamb: Many African cultures are sadly satisfied to avoid progress and practice what modern people might call 'brutal religions', however, and unless they changed would never make it to the modern era
[22:22] Kirkatan: ....
[22:22] Kirkatan: ...
[22:22] Lamb: South Americans have the same thing.
[22:22] Kirkatan: You know what I'm just going to leave for a bit before I start being impolite and offending you
[22:22] <--| Kirkatan has left #LSDFValta
[22:22] Lamb: I'm not offended
[22:23] Luca: blinks
[22:23] Lamb: I thought we were going to start talking about African cultures.
[22:23] Jimmy laughs.
[22:23] Jimmy >wants to talk about african cultures.
[22:23] Luca: let's be honest he's not got long before another gaffe and he gets his rear end banned. I give him freedom and goodwill and this is how he uses it.

So that's a thing, right? As we all know, African cultures were always backwards savages, and to bring up things like Mali or Songhai or africa is to be a dumb idiot who goes "lol We wuz Kings n poo poo", because to show any interest or pride in the history of africa as an african american is to be a subhuman idiot.

And then, today, this happened.

quote:

01[19:28] <Kirkatan> What gets me is how people respond to Black Lives matter with "All Lives Matter"
[19:28] <Lunar_Rabbit> Kirkatan, yeah.
[19:28] <Lunar_Rabbit> Kirkatan, ugh, yeah
[19:28] <@Kalshion|Kyle> All lives DO matter Kirkatan
[19:28] <Jimmy> So, Kalshion|Kyle, can Bu'lla rip off his body suit and bask in the purity of his loincloth. "I am now ready to go to dinner."
[19:28] <Lunar_Rabbit> Er, Kalshion|Kyle AND Kirkatan.
01[19:28] <Kirkatan> No poo poo All lives matter, but that isn't the point of the BLM movement.
[19:28] <@Kalshion|Kyle> What makes black lives so much more important?
[19:28] <@Kalshion|Kyle> The BLM is based off a lie - the whole 'hands up don't shot' was debunked a long rear end time ago
[19:29] <@Doshii_Jun> Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
[19:29] <@Kalshion|Kyle> And, if the BLM TRULY cared about black lives - they'd be in LA, Chitcago, and Detroit trying to stop all of the black on black violence
01[19:29] <Kirkatan> BLM exists purely because the black community is fed up with african americans having a dispraportionately higher rate of police related fatalities than other groups in the US.
06[19:29] * Lunar_Rabbit rubs her face.
[19:29] <AriegGamer> The BLM movement just seems to be another antag group wanting to be a noisy minority.
[19:29] <@Doshii_Jun> drat Germans.
01[19:29] <Kirkatan> Oh my god Kyle
[19:29] <FrostJaeger> jesus christ Kirk
[19:29] <FrostJaeger> please
[19:29] <@Kalshion|Kyle> They don't have a higher rate Kirk, whites are actually killed at a higher rate by police each year -,-
[19:29] <AriegGamer> Kirk: STOP BREAKING THE LAW ASSHOLES
[19:29] <FrostJaeger> please just...stop
01[19:29] <Kirkatan> You know what?
[19:29] <Lunar_Rabbit> Kalshion|Kyle, what you mean they don't :E There's a reason why the Baltimore riots happened, despite the arresting officers being black
01[19:29] <Kirkatan> You know what?
[19:29] <FrostJaeger> who's what?
[19:29] <@Kalshion|Kyle> What? :p
[19:29] <FrostJaeger> :v
01[19:29] <Kirkatan> I'm just going to shut up because black people don't know what we're talking about.
03[19:29] * Kirkatan is now known as KirkGone
[19:30] <Luca> what the?
[19:30] <Aendri> Wait, are we talking about how black people kill more blakc people than anyone else again?
[19:30] <Lunar_Rabbit> something something dindu nuffin, something something /pol/
01[19:30] <KirkGone> something something chimp out
[19:30] <Lunar_Rabbit> kill the poor, etc.
[19:30] <FrostJaeger> kek
01[19:30] <KirkGone> something something black on black crime
[19:30] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Kirk thinks that blacks are always the victoms of everything
06[19:30] * AriegGamer looks at Chicago.
06[19:30] * @Kalshion|Kyle looks at Chicago, Detriot, and LA, where blacks are killed in record numbers by THEIR OWN
[19:30] <Lunar_Rabbit> Kalshion|Kyle, pls some source
[19:30] <Lunar_Rabbit> something something black people want more rights
[19:31] <@Kalshion|Kyle> FBI stats :3
[19:31] <Lunar_Rabbit> link pls
[19:31] <AriegGamer> Want something really fun?
[19:31] <@Kalshion|Kyle> of course, admittedly, there is a chance those stats might be wrong. This *IS* the government we are dealing with
[19:31] <Aendri> Or, you know, Kyle, the cop who DID try to taser a 17 year old kid first, and was shot six times as a result?
[19:31] <Lunar_Rabbit> R O N P A U L 2 0 1 6
[19:31] <Aendri> There's a reason cops are starting to shoot first. :/
[19:31] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Yup
[19:31] <Lunar_Rabbit> B L A C K S G E T B U L L E T S
[19:31] <AriegGamer> The cop isn't obligated to save your rear end if your being a retard.
[19:31] <Aendri> All these drat movements have everyone looking for a problem, which makes more of a problem than there ever was.
01[19:31] <KirkGone> There's a reason the black community, as a whole, tends not to trust the police.
[19:32] <Lunar_Rabbit> poo poo, I don't trust the police in my area anymore, and I'm loving Asian.
[19:32] <Lunar_Rabbit> And our crime here is mostly white and latino.
[19:32] <Aendri> Because they tend to have more incidents of the arrestee assaulting the officer than any other race, Kirk?
01[19:32] <KirkGone> ..
01[19:32] <KirkGone> ...
06[19:32] * AriegGamer trusts the police in his area, but then again hes in a small town and knows a few.
06[19:32] * KirkGone opens his mouth
[19:32] <AriegGamer> Oooh.
[19:32] <AriegGamer> Oooh.
06[19:32] * KirkGone shuts it.
[19:32] <AriegGamer> Get a map of black neighborhoods.
[19:32] <@Kalshion|Kyle> I.. wasn't expecting Aendri to say that
[19:32] <Lunar_Rabbit> where are these sources
[19:32] <AriegGamer> And then get the crime dot map and overlap them.
[19:32] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Lunar_Rabbit, not everything is based on stats and such - some is based off experience
[19:33] <Lunar_Rabbit> kek
[19:33] <Aendri> My Godfather was a cop, who ened up making Captain. He was shot while making arrests twice, and assaulated plenty of times. I tend to believe him when he tells me what he saw.
[19:34] <FrostJaeger> ^this
01[19:34] <KirkGone> So you're saying that everything the police do to african americans and other minorities is justified.
[19:34] <@Kalshion|Kyle> NEver said that
[19:34] <Aendri> Especially since he is easily the least racist man I have ever known. :/
[19:34] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Do not put words in our mouths
[19:34] <FrostJaeger> mhm
[19:34] <Aendri> No, I'm saying if you go looking for a problem, you find one.
[19:34] <@Kalshion|Kyle> What we are saying Kirk is that Blacks - just like Whites and every other ethical group - are not perfect
[19:34] <Aendri> Whether or not it was there when you started.
01[19:34] <KirkGone> No loving poo poo we aren't perfect.
[19:35] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Yes, except you continue to ignore the problems in your own community and isntead prefer to blame the police for everything
[19:35] <@Kalshion|Kyle> When a black kid fires on officers and they return fire? What do you do? Blame the police officer, not the kid.
[19:35] <AriegGamer> This entire issue: http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/61718444.jpg
01[19:35] <KirkGone> that better not be dindu nuffin
[19:35] <@Kalshion|Kyle> What I just said is the common, COMMON theme I see practically all the time
01[19:35] <KirkGone> Holy poo poo what the gently caress am I on /pol/
[19:35] <Aendri> Interesting note, did you know that in general, proportionally speaking, african american cops are more likely to use their service weapon?
01[19:36] <KirkGone> Lunar Rabbit, you're cool.
[19:36] <Lunar_Rabbit> KirkGone, we've been on /pol/ for a long time :V
[19:36] <AriegGamer> Kirk this is practically Pol.
01[19:36] <KirkGone> The rest of you? holy poo poo I expected better of each and everyone one of you.
[19:36] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Oh I'm sorry, you expected us to turn a BLIND EYE to the problems we see daily?
[19:36] <Jimmy> HITLER DID NOTHING WRONG
[19:36] <Aendri> Really? Despite you shittalking us consistently?
[19:36] <AriegGamer> Glad to disdapoint.
[19:36] <Lunar_Rabbit> KirkGone, https://40.media.tumblr.com/33502407ae5b819b9c37bb639290fcf0/tumblr_nz4zhdw54s1smzsrfo1_500.jpg best part is it's from Tumblr
[19:37] <FrostJaeger> SHERMAN WAS A WAR CRIMINAL
[19:37] <FrostJaeger> STATES RIGHTS
[19:37] <Aendri> Lunar, there's a difference between recognizing a problem, and creating one.
[19:37] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Sorry, but I'm realist, if I see a problem in a community I can *AND WILL* point it out until its fixed
[19:37] <Lunar_Rabbit> MUH CONFEDERATE FLAG
[19:37] <Aendri> No, the justice system isn't right as things stand.
[19:37] <AriegGamer> Oh god no it isn't.
[19:37] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Justice system is crewed up the rear end
[19:37] <AriegGamer> Especially the for profit ends of it.
[19:37] <Lunar_Rabbit> Race realism? :3
[19:37] <@Kalshion|Kyle> XD
[19:37] <FrostJaeger> lel
[19:37] <AriegGamer> And the fact its to small to handle the work load.
[19:37] <Aendri> But attacking cops, the by FAR grand majority of whom are doing their job as best they can, is stupid.
[19:38] <AriegGamer> Because the cops can and will shoot back.
[19:38] <Aendri> And SHOULD.
01[19:38] <KirkGone> I agree that the majority of Cops are fine
[19:38] <AriegGamer> And they don't cant their guns to the side.
[19:38] <@Kalshion|Kyle> If you think a cop is violating your rights, you handle it in court, you don't fight them or resist arrest
[19:38] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Hell, *I DID* after all
01[19:38] <KirkGone> What I don't agree with is saying that the problem therein lies in the black community wholeheartedly
[19:38] <FrostJaeger> ...
[19:38] <AriegGamer> A good chunk of it does.
[19:38] <Aendri> Nobody has said that, Kirk.
[19:38] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Arieg did :3
[19:38] <Aendri> But groups like BLM ARE the problem.
[19:38] <FrostJaeger> (aside from Arieg)
[19:39] <Aendri> Just as much as the cops are.
[19:39] <FrostJaeger> who has said that?
[19:39] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Hell, groups like BLM, the CBC, and others >_>
[19:39] <Aendri> Because they're just building tensions.
01[19:39] <KirkGone> I can understand where BLM is coming from
[19:39] <AriegGamer> You can only blame the system so much until you look at yourself and discover your own culture is loving you in the rear end.
[19:39] <Lunar_Rabbit> BLM members I see aren't ghetto thugs wanting to shoot your white rear end.
[19:39] <@Kalshion|Kyle> The ones in my nighborhood are -,-
01[19:39] <KirkGone> Because holy poo poo the black community has a very long history of getting generally treated like poo poo by the police.
[19:39] <Aendri> Those people also tend to be the minority that aren't the ones causing problems in the first place.
[19:39] <Lunar_Rabbit> R A C E R E A L I S M
01[19:39] <KirkGone> And before that? We were slaves.
[19:39] <Lunar_Rabbit> Take a trip down LAPD and even white people have a huge issue with them and the LASD.
[19:39] <Aendri> Congratulations, Kirk.
[19:39] <@Kalshion|Kyle> KirkGone, NEWS FLASH Whites were slaves as well!
01[19:40] <KirkGone> Holy poo poo you're actually saying rig-
01[19:40] <KirkGone> ...
[19:40] <Lunar_Rabbit> In America?
[19:40] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Did you know one of my distant ancestors WAS a slave?
[19:40] <Aendri> Great job removing any real basis you had for your argument.
[19:40] <AriegGamer> Slavery isn't an excuse anymore.
[19:40] <AriegGamer> To many generations removed.
[19:40] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Oh and do you know who his master was? A BLACK MAN.
[19:40] <Lunar_Rabbit> >my ancestors were slaves destoys my argument
01[19:40] <KirkGone> There's a huge loving difference between various forms of slavery, such as indentured servitude and the like, and Chattel Slavery.
[19:40] <@Kalshion|Kyle> So do not give me that loving slavery bullshit
[19:40] <FrostJaeger> ...
[19:40] <Lunar_Rabbit> it's black pride month :3c
01[19:40] <KirkGone> And yes, there were black and mulatto slave owners.
[19:40] <FrostJaeger> kirk
[19:40] <FrostJaeger> son
[19:40] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Hell the first slave owner in the US was black >_>
[19:40] <FrostJaeger> sit
[19:40] <FrostJaeger> down
01[19:41] <KirkGone> And yes, African kingdoms along the slave coast did participate in the slave trade; but that was a trade driven by european demand
[19:41] <Aendri> Okay, no. This argument just needs to end. It's not doing anyone any good.
01[19:41] <KirkGone> And Chattel Slavery is a particularly specific kind of evil.
[19:41] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Wrong.
[19:41] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Very wrong Kirk
[19:41] <FrostJaeger> plz don
[19:41] <Aendri> Everyone, drop it.
[19:41] <@Kalshion|Kyle> The slave trade between African tribes was going on long before then
[19:41] <FrostJaeger> *plz don't feed the troll Kyle
[19:41] <Aendri> Nobody is gaining anything from this, just drop it.
[19:41] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Yea, your right, I'm talking to a brick wall.
[19:41] <Lunar_Rabbit> >slavery is ok because blax did it
[19:41] <Lunar_Rabbit> C U C K E D
[19:42] <Aendri> Kyle, hush.
[19:42] <Aendri> Lunar, stop.
[19:42] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Meow
[19:42] <@Kalshion|Kyle> :<
01[19:42] <KirkGone> Yes, it was, but the very specific "holy poo poo what the gently caress" slavery we got out of the Triangular Trade was something entirely different
[19:42] <AriegGamer> So.
[19:42] <AriegGamer> Tentacle monsters.
[19:42] <AriegGamer> Go.
[19:42] <FrostJaeger> :3
[19:42] <Aendri> Kirk. Stop.
[19:42] <Luca> they're monsters, with tentacles.
[19:42] <DragonNova> Oh my. Is five spewing racist nonsense again?
[19:42] <@Kalshion|Kyle> TENTACLE MONSTERS!
[19:42] <FrostJaeger> Yep
01[19:42] <KirkGone> holy poo poo what.
[19:42] <Aendri> DN. No.
01[19:42] <KirkGone> No, seriously, what, you're calling me racist here.
06[19:42] * @Kalshion|Kyle uses tentacles to screw around with DragonNova
[19:42] <@Kalshion|Kyle> :3
[19:42] <Aendri> Kirk, shut up. Now.
[19:42] <AriegGamer> Kirk go away we don't want you here.

And this is the kind of behavior i've come to expect from people, really. I'm black, so that automatically means that I'm a subhuman and anything bad that happens to someone like me has to be our fault.

But I can't loving stand this poo poo anymore. I can't take it! What the gently caress did black people do to deserve this kind of treatment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
You probably wanna post this in TG.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Expect hordes of (totally not racist) white dudes yelling C U C K/ALL LIVES MATTER/dindu at you non stop. It's a complete cesspit, my advice would be to not engage with that webforum and find a new hobby. You can't reason with willful ignorance.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Play games with goons. Tabletop people here are much more likely to appreciate all of the poo poo that the insular turbonerd communities respond to with hostility.

You probably want to post this in the Good, Bad, Cat-Piss stories thread in Traditional Games though.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
its reactionaries all the way down

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I didn't read all that and it wouldn't matter if I did, since I don't play those sorts of games and wouldn't really get much of it. But sorry to hear that you can't just have some fun without assholes trying to gently caress poo poo up for you :( .

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Three things here, as someone who doesn't play that game but does play in the same vague hobby (I recognized the website you pointed to):

1. Talking politics rarely ends well in such situations. I would go so far as to say "Don't do that".
2. I think the general point someone made re "show it through RP, don't put it on the wiki where nobody reads it" isn't a bad point; At best, a game's wiki should retrospectively record canon seen in play, not try to prescribe it going forward; the sole exception is if you are the no-poo poo GM and describing the game's canon.

However, there's also point 3:

3. Get away from there. You made some mistakes, but they also sound like very racist assholes there. If you had PMs, I'd PM and invite you to my game.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Nerds are overwhelmingly white, sheltered, male and cliquish with results in them not being aware of how racist/sexist/etc... they are because they don't interact with people outside their weird subcultures.

I've run into the same problem before myself and just accept the fact that you are going to have a hard time finding people into the same hobbies who are not sacks of human poo poo.

Also there is a whole thread in TG for this kind of stuff.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Follow up: get in the Games Room pronto. It rocks if your not a stupid burnout flake who can't keep up with his games like me.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
List of communities IRL or on the internet that are free of sexism and racism:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'm not going to read long chatlogs but from what i skimmed over it appears to be a tabletop game nerd being weird about african history as not advanced or something? the nerd being not the op, tho it is certain the op is also a nerd. i would like to see a dungeons and dragons type game sourced from general african mythology that would be cool as hell, maybe this already exists?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Dominions 4 has a couple of african nations

Spider calvary :black101:

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
Yeah nerds/"gamers" are often incredibly racist and sexist, (not to mention homophobic). Just look at how poo poo like XBox Live turned out. A good test case is to see if they associate themselves at all with "gamergate". If they do, stay the gently caress away, they are unquestionably garbage people.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i would like to see a dungeons and dragons type game sourced from general african mythology that would be cool as hell, maybe this already exists?

Spears of the Dawn is arguably the closest; it's a fantasy setting/OSR game but tries to be rooted in cultures from Western Africa. But it doesn't work 100% because it loops back into the decidedly Euro-centric underpinnings of DnD and then focuses on African flair, fitting witch doctors and an oral tradition on top of the usual classes (wizard and bard, respectively). It's actually a decent debate as to how deep the African elements reach (is it just a veneer, or did Crawford succeed at baking African into the game's roots?), made harder by the fact that as an OSR product it's made to be light in concrete details to let things evolve at the table and it's in those details that things could have really come alive.

Personally, I think that it almost hits the mark it was intended to, and that even having the attempt made is something worth a nod of approval towards. Putting aside whether it made a DnD game that ignores the European roots to evoke Africa, it's a good game with a lot of solid mechanical ideas and some really fun flavor ideas.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That's catpiss. That's hard loving catpiss. Cross-post it there, this tops charts.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
Fivemarks, you should really dip out of that community. It's never, ever worth sticking it out in that kind of atmosphere. I know we invest a lot in our characters over long running campaigns but the truth is there's always another group and another game out there, IRL or online, that is willing to not be assholes and you owe it to yourself to not waste your precious time dealing with people like that.

Also, to the posters basically saying, "What do you expect from D&D nerds?", that kind of attitude is rancid and wrong and absolutely enables shitlords like those guys to feel like they can get away acting like that because that's the expectation. You need to change that expectation.

Tabletop gaming as a hobby is more popular than ever and more inclusive than ever. There are great groups out there all over the place that are welcoming so never tolerate asshats, they need to get over their poo poo or need to see that no one wants to play with them any more.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah Fivemarks that's a nasty loving community you don't have to spend time with those gross bastards. Just wash your hands of them. There's more trad gaming than any one person can participate in right here on SA in the forum so named, to say nothing of places like roll20.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
when i was in high school my friend used to send me her rp logs and demand i read them, as she went through puberty and her mind twisted slowly under the influence of the internet they got more and more sexual and then the sexuality got weirder and more depraved until finally her self-insert character was being raped by a two-penised lizard with a split personality and loving every drat second of it!!!!! still she insisted i read the logs and this continued until i ghosted on the friendship and never spoke to her again

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Avshalom posted:

when i was in high school my friend used to send me her rp logs and demand i read them, as she went through puberty and her mind twisted slowly under the influence of the internet they got more and more sexual and then the sexuality got weirder and more depraved until finally her self-insert character was being raped by a two-penised lizard with a split personality and loving every drat second of it!!!!! still she insisted i read the logs and this continued until i ghosted on the friendship and never spoke to her again

Sounds to me like she was probably hitting on you.

Are you in fact a two-penised lizard with a split personality? That might be a hint as to what she was really getting at.

Edit: Also, to be serious, those people are dicks. And ignorant dicks at that. Find someone better to play with. If they're that sensitive over something in a game they'll probably self-destruct over some inane minutiae months from now anyways.

If it's any comfort people like the ones in those logs tend to marginalize themselves until they can't get along with anyone except others like themselves. Which leads to them cloistering up in increasingly tiny little crazy communities. Hell, the Gamergate types are a popular example of what happens when you get so damned goony that even other nerds kind of squirm in discomfort around you.

Just cut your losses and find someone more tolerable.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 13, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I am sympathetic to suffering due to the casual racism and bigotry of the 'gamer' or traditional gaming community, but I'm kind of confused... What are we debating here exactly? :confused:

Everyone's already in agreement here, it almost feels misplaced having the thread here instead of somewhere like Traditional Games, Ask/Tell, PYF, or E/N.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Fivemarks posted:

But I can't loving stand this poo poo anymore. I can't take it! What the gently caress did black people do to deserve this kind of treatment?

Nothing at all, that's what makes it so terrible.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Societies rarely have the strength to forgive their victims for being victims. Man is the cruelest animal.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm white and my Fallout 4 character is black, can I get a hell yeah

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
OP, there's nothing you can do but try and find a group that's more accepting. It's lovely and unfair, but there's no much you or anyone else can do as an individual to change things. Good luck finding better friends.

Helsing posted:

Societies rarely have the strength to forgive their victims for being victims. Man is the cruelest animal.
Wrong, it's ignorance not cruelty, because everyone sees themselves as the victim.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

rudatron posted:

OP, there's nothing you can do but try and find a group that's more accepting. It's lovely and unfair, but there's no much you or anyone else can do as an individual to change things. Good luck finding better friends.

Wrong, it's ignorance not cruelty, because everyone sees themselves as the victim.

That's a much rosier image of people than I think is deserved. I think it's often cruelty hiding behind a facade of ignorant victimhood because cognitive dissonance is scary. That being said, not everyone is an rear end in a top hat.

Leave them the gently caress behind, don't engage with them, move on. There are a lot of people who are seriously bugging out about the return of more prevalent black oriented politics after decades of pretending there were no problems. The unspoken position of white supremacy in the United States is being challenged in a way it has not been since the 70s. It had become gauche to speak about it public, but poo poo like this has been being said in white-only groups for a long loving time, and covered up with dogwhistles for even longer. American history has been whitewashed to an insane degree, especially in regards to the civil war, and a lot of the poo poo that most affects blacks goes back to the 50s and 60s and even the 90s, not the 1800s. These people are losing, their lies are being exposed, and they are jokes.

Find people that are not assholes swaddling their fragile white masculinity in lies and conspiracies. Find other black nerds, I constantly run into way more than I ever expected, and it's gotten better and better since I was a shithead teenager posting on USENET in the 90s. gently caress these people, you've done nothing wrong, you don't owe them poo poo, and you don't need to and shouldn't put up with that poo poo if you just want to get your nerd on. Keep on blerding, brother.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

SSNeoman posted:

That's catpiss. That's hard loving catpiss. Cross-post it there, this tops charts.

And this was the response when he posted it:

NachtSieger posted:

What the gently caress is this and why did you feel the need to post this garbage in here?

the_steve posted:

Seriously, that's for the Debate and Discussion board, keep it away from our Elf stories.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Jazerus posted:

Play games with goons.

Playing games with goons has sort of ruined me on multiplayer gaming.

Even watching someone play a game on a public server / xbox live makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

And this was the response when he posted it:

Goons :rolleyes:

• Locked thread