Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I mean if you are arguing for letting Scalia vote from beyond the grave then why not just cut out the middle man and do what you think Marbury would want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Al! posted:

Scalia based his entire judicial career on his claim on the ability to read the thoughts of dead men, so this isn't entirely out of line with his character.

Coincidentally in both cases it turns out the deceased agree with the erstwhile medium.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The only fair way is to let a highly qualified individual who was good friends with Scalia decide his original intent.

Until the vacancy is filled RBG gets two votes in every case.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

I think the better argument for why Scalia can't vote isn't that we don't know how he'd vote: it's that being a justice is a lifetime appointment. Once you're dead, you're not a justice anymore!

That's not in the constitution. The constitution just says justices "hold their offices during good behaviour" and I think everyone can agree that Scalia's behaviour on that hunting trip was very good indeed.

In the past we've kicked off dead justices because they stop showing up to decide cases, but if Scalia keeps on doing that from the beyond well :shrug:

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...13e8_story.html

Scalia may have been a member of a secret order of hunters... weird.

E. This is basically Assassins Creed IRL.

climboutonalimb fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 25, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think the evidence supports the claim that we live in a simulated universe that's broadcast as entertainment for the real universe.
As such, they were definitely hunting human prey.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

climboutonalimb posted:

on the other hand, scalia was too fat to go jumping around rooftops

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

climboutonalimb posted:

It's looks like a fraternity for old rich conservative catholics who like hunting. Basically a snootier moose lodge.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pangstrom posted:

It's looks like a fraternity for old rich conservative catholics who like hunting. Basically a snootier moose lodge.

One might call it a deuce lodge

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

climboutonalimb posted:

Wait, Ruben Bolling's comics of Scalia going around and dispensing two-fisted justice are true?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

climboutonalimb posted:

There's no evidence that they hunted men.

...but then again, there's no evidence that they didn't.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

pangstrom posted:

The masons are p. anti-catholic so probably not that much like a moose lodge.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lord Hydronium posted:

They're a Christian hunting group, and the fishing analogy for Christianity is fishing for people, so....

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Ogmius815 posted:

The masons are p. anti-catholic so probably not that much like a moose lodge.
Masons and whatever you call moose lodge people aren't the same thing. Moose lodge isn't very anti-catholic but fine, go with Knights of Columbus or something. Point was it seemed just like another flavor of the old men fraternity and not the illuminati.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Lord Hydronium posted:

I believe the phrase you're looking for is "the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

I believe the phrase you're looking for is "the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence".

Which is stupid. It should the absence of evidence is not proof of absence.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Doesn't sound as good.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Pillow Hat posted:

Doesn't sound as good.

Especially if you want to invade Iraq.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

euphronius posted:

It makes sense in the context that Sagan said it. (critiquing the statement)

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 26, 2016

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

A complete absence of evidence is a pretty strong suggestion of absence. Which is why the original quote was trying to say that it isn't even helping in that case.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

Especially if you want to invade Iraq.

Yeah this is the important part.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I just want to say that every couple days this thread reminds me that Antonin Scalia is rotting in the ground like the garbage he was, and it fills me with joy every time I think about it. I wish I could summon a bit of HST's talent from his Nixon obit to fully express my feelings on this matter.

Burn in hell, Nino. As far as I'm concerned you got off lucky because there isn't one.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

pangstrom posted:

Masons and whatever you call moose lodge people aren't the same thing. Moose lodge isn't very anti-catholic but fine, go with Knights of Columbus or something. Point was it seemed just like another flavor of the old men fraternity and not the illuminati.

"Just another flavor of the old men fraternity" is pretty much the textbook definition of the illuminati.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

mdemone posted:

I just want to say that every couple days this thread reminds me that Antonin Scalia is rotting in the ground like the garbage he was, and it fills me with joy every time I think about it. I wish I could summon a bit of HST's talent from his Nixon obit to fully express my feelings on this matter.

Burn in hell, Nino. As far as I'm concerned you got off lucky because there isn't one.

This and also I imagine the story being told by oral history in the wild wild west because of the marvelous thread title.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Latest :tinfoil:-bait news is Scalia had sleep apnea and his CPAP was found unplugged.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

spoon0042 posted:

Latest :tinfoil:-bait news is Scalia had sleep apnea and his CPAP was found unplugged.

Yes I'm sure someone was able to get the CPAP mask off his face while he slept without making him.

Some people will just believe anything.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Well couldn't you just sneak in there and unplug the machine from the wall or do they have battery backup?

I'm not asking because I believe it happened but these Scalia murder conspiracies are hilarious and I want more.

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

Radish posted:

Well couldn't you just sneak in there and unplug the machine from the wall or do they have battery backup?

I'm not asking because I believe it happened but these Scalia murder conspiracies are hilarious and I want more.

You could and it could potentially cause cardiac arrest. But with the strain on his heart from sleep apnea, smoking, and poor lifestyle choices it could have been just about anything related to the above at anytime.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
WaPo's the first hit for this and they explain things a bit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...an-be-dangerous

In short there's like a *tiny* chance forgetting to use your CPAP one night will kill you, and slightly less tiny for an old guy with other health issues.

Mostly this is just another reason to point and laugh at the Clinton Body Count crowd.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I've got a radical conspiracy theory for you guys: perhaps this 79 year old overweight man who smoked and had sleep apnea could conceivably have died of natural causes? After all, Scalia could have forgotten to take his daily dose of super secret magic potion that makes conservatives immune to natural deaths.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
That's just what they want you to think.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

vyelkin posted:

I've got a radical conspiracy theory for you guys: perhaps this 79 year old overweight man who smoked and had sleep apnea could conceivably have died of natural causes? After all, Scalia could have forgotten to take his daily dose of super secret magic potion that makes conservatives immune to natural deaths.

For some reason I didn't know he smoked. Had he quit, or did he puff the coffin nails all the way up to his death?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

vyelkin posted:

but that's no fun.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

vyelkin posted:

Pure applesauce.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Radish posted:

Yes, but the way the article I read was written, it sounded like the machine had not been used at all. That it was just sitting unplugged and unused on the side table.

Either way, unplugging a CPAP would be a pretty impotent strategy to kill someone.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Pillow Hat posted:

Either way, unplugging a CPAP would be a pretty impotent strategy to kill someone.

So very fitting for that effeminate Obama!

Another thing I heard conspiracists say is that the autopsy couldn't find Scalia's heart.

But everyone knows leaked medical records already revealed he never had one

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Another thing I heard conspiracists say is that the autopsy couldn't find Scalia's heart.

That's loving hilarious. Like maybe it was hidden somewhere.

Autopsy report: "Unable to locate patient's heart. I extensively searched the peritoneum and mediastinum for potential ectopic placement, but could not locate the organ. Perhaps a more thorough dissection will reveal it to be in an extremity or even the cranial vault."

Alternate joke: Why is that surprising? We all knew he was heartless.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
It'd be much easier to put poison in the humidifier chamber of the CPAP

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Pillow Hat posted:

That's loving hilarious. Like maybe it was hidden somewhere.

Autopsy report: "Unable to locate patient's heart. I extensively searched the peritoneum and mediastinum for potential ectopic placement, but could not locate the organ. Perhaps a more thorough dissection will reveal it to be in an extremity or even the cranial vault."

Alternate joke: Why is that surprising? We all knew he was heartless.

Wow, it's almost like :thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Wow, it's almost like :thejoke:

:cripes:

In my defense, Poe's law.

• Locked thread