Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celot
Jan 14, 2007

Undead Hippo posted:

Have you ever read the Kurt Vonnegut novel "Timequake"? Everybody in the world has their consciousness sent back 10 years in time, only to realise that their actions are deterministic and that they repeat every action they had previously done, step by step, with their consciousness not directing matters.

If at any point you drank a can of diet RC cola since 1999 that wish also leads you into an infinite and eternal time loop, where you observe the actions taken between 1999 and your can of cola, powerless to do anything. Forever. (This will happen anyway, even if you didn't drink the cola, as your deterministic body makes the same time loop causing wish in 2016, over and over again.)

Actually I would have died after the first wish. I would be transported back in time, but not in space to 1999. I would find that the earth has moved and I am just floating out in space with seconds to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I wish that you will not grant this wish.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cockmaster posted:

I wish that you will not grant this wish.

Your wish has already been granted.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
"I wish that you are incapable of lying"

" I wish that you would say the following exact words: 'This statement is false.'"

I don't think anything good would come of it, I just wanna see what would happen.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I already asked it for the 2016 election season to be more interesting :twisted:

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

I wish that modus ponens is invalid.

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975
I'd wish for Texas to be given back to Mexico.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Beaters posted:

If the US ever gets weak enough to allow that, it probably would not be a first world country any longer.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

paragon1 posted:

"I wish that you are incapable of lying"

" I wish that you would say the following exact words: 'This statement is false.'"

I don't think anything good would come of it, I just wanna see what would happen.

I'm not sure it would even do anything. Like, the genie might just utter sounds resembling the words "This", "statement", "is", and "false", separated by 0.1 second gaps, without actually meaning "this statement is false".

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

DrSunshine posted:

I'm not sure it would even do anything. Like, the genie might just utter sounds resembling the words "This", "statement", "is", and "false", separated by 0.1 second gaps, without actually meaning "this statement is false".

again, if the genie can just make up bullshit then it doesn't matter what you wish because he's just going to do whatever he wants and then turn around and say "oh the words you said can also mean this on certain days in the Horsehead nebula, so sorry for the confusion", rendering the whole exercise pointless

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

paragon1 posted:

again, if the genie can just make up bullshit then it doesn't matter what you wish because he's just going to do whatever he wants and then turn around and say "oh the words you said can also mean this on certain days in the Horsehead nebula, so sorry for the confusion", rendering the whole exercise pointless

Well, thinking of it that way, I guess what the framing of the problem is is to pose the question of whether or not it's possible to phrase any given statement X such that X has only one possible interpretable meaning in any language. Which is ultimately, I think, a philosophical question that gets at whether words have set meanings and act as vehicles for carrying information, or if meanings are constructed according to the listener. But if the latter is the case, how can we communicate at all?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Beaters posted:

Same, but Arizona instead.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

StandardVC10 posted:

Same, but Arizona instead.

Same, but California instead.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Presumably if you make a wish that changes the rules of wishing, either that wish or the follow-up wish that violates the new rules would be void. You can't wish to make people fall in love or wish that you could wish to make people fall in love either.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I'd ask for a 10 minute phone call with Elon Musk

Would the genie grant my wish in an area with no signal or something

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I think if you wished for perpetually enflamed herpes the genie wouldn't bother making it worse so same rule applies.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

awesome-express posted:

I'd ask for a 10 minute phone call with Elon Musk

Would the genie grant my wish in an area with no signal or something

Musk mistakes you for a timeshare salesman and yells at you the entire time, just absolutely furious that his private number got leaked.

Or

Musk refuses to speak English in favor of Afrikaans.

I wish for the best hat.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

I think if you wished for perpetually enflamed herpes the genie wouldn't bother making it worse so same rule applies.

You didn't specify where.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

*PUNCH* posted:

I wish for the best hat.

The catholic church becomes extraordinarily upset at you for stealing the Pope's hat.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

paragon1 posted:

The catholic church becomes extraordinarily upset at you for stealing the Pope's hat.

In terms of malicious consequences, this is pretty alright.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

paragon1 posted:

Besides everyone knows djinn are Muslim.

They predate Islam, its certainly middle eastern mythology though. Also even in Islam they are described to be of free will, they can be any religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

*PUNCH* posted:

I wish for the best hat.

For one brief moment you realize the genie subscribes to the notion that bigger is better before the hat collapses into a supermassive black hole and destroys the solar system.

• Locked thread