Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
if you're here lurking you probably never had a shot anyway kid

sorry about your future

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
When I was a kid it was all stileproject and rotten and endless torrents of poo poo and piss and severed bodyparts on the internet. Kids today should be happy they're in the new safe bland internet.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Nurge posted:

When I was a kid it was all stileproject and rotten and endless torrents of poo poo and piss and severed bodyparts on the internet. Kids today should be happy they're in the new safe bland internet.

yo man did you ever search napster for movie files with random number filenames? i think 4.mov was a POV vid of a guy stabbing a chechen or russian soldier in the neck in a riverbed. I probzbly got more PTSD from bosnia than most US troops who served in bosnia.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
I have an unmarked windowless van with both puppy dogs and candy in it. Is this the thread where I apply to be a mod?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

yo man did you ever search napster for movie files with random number filenames? i think 4.mov was a POV vid of a guy stabbing a chechen or russian soldier in the neck in a riverbed. I probzbly got more PTSD from bosnia than most US troops who served in bosnia.

I don't remember that one but I do remember a clip where some dude took a chisel and cut his finger off with it. A formative art piece for sure. Also people nailing their genitals to wooden planks. Tubgirl was around for a long time too, but I haven't seen that one circulating in years.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I'm pretty sure I was around 15 when I joined the something is awful internet discussion forums.

OxMan posted:

I started reading SA when I was like 15 but didn't join the forums until I was 18 because it seemed so non retarded compared to all other forums I figured no one wanted some dipshit kid there. Now I've spent half my life on this poo poo so loving hell kids, run away.

same but this forum was very different back then, like TYOOL 2013 for me when i started lurking SA. I don't think we have the youth appeal we used to.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Nurge posted:

You sure about that, you can go on youtube to see random people being blown up, droned or otherwise murdered. There probably was never more material of that nature on the Internet than it is now.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Police Automaton posted:

You sure about that, you can go on youtube to see random people being blown up, droned or otherwise murdered. There probably was never more material of that nature on the Internet than it is now.

I concede that more of it is probably around, but it was up front and center back then. You actually have to go out of your way to find really disturbing poo poo these days for the most part.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
No, back then it was presented as "This is sick! Only badasses will check this poo poo out! ROTTEN DOT COM! DISGUSTING!"

Now there's tons of it and it's boring as gently caress, it's like "Oh, another video of a guy getting his head getting cored by the backwash of an RPG, next to an ad for laundry soap"

Although this doesn't apply to SomethingAwful where kids could log on to get exposed to joyless cynicism and bad-natured comedy, and now kids can log on and watch tubby old goons go "LOOK I'M RANDOM" over and over

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I bet there are a lot of kids around the LP forum, or at least there was before every nerd in the world started doing that poo poo on youtube which I assume made SA less relevant

Vargs fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 15, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
lowtax please get the kids of these forums. I didn't join these forums to talk to a child

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
i joined these forums to talk to grown-rear end fully-pubesced men

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I was 13 when 4chan started, and other sites like Rotten were huge at the time. I looked at both and was extremely underwhelmed.

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.

Dirty Sanchez posted:

That's why they prefer image based sites like instagram, snapchat

I personally only come here to look at the avatars. Some people have pretty crafty ones.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I was 14 when I joined these forums and my posting has gotten worse ever since

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I was 16 i think

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Fonzarelli posted:

I was 14 when I joined these forums and my posting has gotten worse ever since

Good avatar/post combo

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines
Posting to see reg date

E: wow, I was nearly 28 when I joined, you bunch of goddamn kids :argh:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Halah posted:

Posting to see reg date

E: wow, I was nearly 28 when I joined, you bunch of goddamn kids :argh:

lol you are literally like 41, that is depressing as hell

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

VendaGoat posted:

Stay away from the mods.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fonzarelli posted:

lol you are literally like 41, that is depressing as hell

Did yiur weed man come through or has he stolen your money

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Isaac posted:

Did yiur weed man come through or has he stolen your money

i should have updated you, he appeared out of nowhere yesterday with no story or anything just some apologies and some extra weed

you were probably right about the oxys

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Nurge posted:

Yeah i am trying to remember how young i was when i first saw goatse... im sure its not good whatever age it was prob like 13

That lemon party thing was popular around the same time.

Luckily never accidentally downloaded snuff films by the time video was available online i had developed some sense of what was likely to be sketchy

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
when i was a kid and we first got the internet i went to a website i found on the back of a cereal box and they had a game where you play water polo with frosted cheerios in a milk bowl and i had such a gay time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fonzarelli posted:

i should have updated you, he appeared out of nowhere yesterday with no story or anything just some apologies and some extra weed

you were probably right about the oxys

im glad it worked out. I would have started doubting the trustworthyness of australias drug dealers

• Locked thread