Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Is there an insurance bigthread somewhere? I saw one for auto and misc but nothing for regular health insurance. If there is I'll def check it out and close this as needed

I'm currently employed full time and have BCBS insurance provided through my employer. Family is me and wife, two kids 7 & 11. Wife has had medical issues and is no longer working more than a part time job with no bennies, and is currently working with an attorney for getting on social security
With what my employer kicks in, I'm currently paying about 200/month for family coverage with BCBS, and an additional 40/month for dental

I'm looking at changing jobs however, for a smaller company without insurance offered. I've had my current job since before Obama was appointed dictator for life, so have never really learned about Affordable Care Act, Obamacare or any of the alternatives.

So, where does one begin to even look for insurance? Do I look for a broker and let them find what they can? Apply on the ACA site and see where that leads? COBRA?
Current issues are all pretty minor, there's no ongoing medical that is a drain(ie no cancer, injuries, etc) so really it's just some basic coverage that we're looking for- regular checkups, kid stuff, woman things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
The last time I went to a health care broker, he tried to sell me all kinds of poo poo insurance. For the health insurance, he literally just asked us for the information and typed it into the same websites we had already looked at. I would look around and see if there's a good broker in your area, but be cautious. Also, make sure you take the lack of insurance into account when you negotiate your new salary.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Disclaimer: I used to work for this company but they do have some decent comparison features to look at multiple health insurance options if you need a better tool:

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Shadowhand00 posted:

Disclaimer: I used to work for this company but they do have some decent comparison features to look at multiple health insurance options if you need a better tool:

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

So yeah I check out the marketplace and find that all the plans for family of 4 are like 900-1400 a month. Of course I'm thinking how the gently caress is this affordable health care when its 4 times what i'm already putting out, and even when considering employer kick in, its still double that. I did end up on that ehealthinsurance to compare and found the exact same plans at the same price - for example a bleu cross plan shows as $855 on both sites. BUT on the eHealthinsurance site it shows the amount after tax credits as like $150/month which is a lot more reasonable and would allow for better policys to be more in line with what i'm leaving for around the same premium

For this part at least of picking, it does appear that brokers and sites and the marketplace all offer the same plans, so that much I can slog through and find what fits

Is there a separate process for these credits and subsidies, or is that part of what a broker or website would do? I didn't see anything about numbers on the marketplace site but that may not come into play until actually enrolling. More fun with it today I'm sure

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

So yeah I check out the marketplace and find that all the plans for family of 4 are like 900-1400 a month. Of course I'm thinking how the gently caress is this affordable health care when its 4 times what i'm already putting out, and even when considering employer kick in, its still double that. I did end up on that ehealthinsurance to compare and found the exact same plans at the same price - for example a bleu cross plan shows as $855 on both sites. BUT on the eHealthinsurance site it shows the amount after tax credits as like $150/month which is a lot more reasonable and would allow for better policys to be more in line with what i'm leaving for around the same premium
Have you gone through the ACA website and seen what credits you'll be getting? I don't qualify for any credits and the cheapest insurance I could get is $650/mo for me and my husband. $150 a month for a whole family sounds insanely low to me, but if you're at a low income it's not inconceivable.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

moana posted:

Have you gone through the ACA website and seen what credits you'll be getting? I don't qualify for any credits and the cheapest insurance I could get is $650/mo for me and my husband. $150 a month for a whole family sounds insanely low to me, but if you're at a low income it's not inconceivable.

That's what makes it a bit confusing is that whether I check on the marketplace or on an independent site like ehealthinsurance, the base cost stays the same, e.g. the $842 in this image

but what's struck is due to tax credit and subsidy from the government. It reads that it is based on household income and 4x the federal poverty level is where the cutoff appears to be. That's currently at like $24k for a family of 4 so 4x that is close to 100k- since its just me working we're under that
but nowhere is it real clear on if that is something that the insurance company submits to the gov and all of that is behind the scenes, or if there is some active part that I need to take to get approved. I need to call a broker or 2 to find that out, then take that and find the best coverage

A big part of this is being spoiled and always working at a place that offers insurance, I'm glad tht ive never really had to deal with it until now ha

Thanks Obama

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I believe it's behind the scenes and you will just have to pay the discounted rate, but I'm not certain. Also, I don't know if you're joking or not, but Obamacare has made health insurance much more affordable for the people who need it most. It's not as good as a true single-payer system, and I hope we'll be getting a better deal in the future, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

since before Obama was appointed dictator for life

Thanks Obama

If you are too dumb to figure out the current system, I don't think you would have fared very well before the ACA was passed.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

but nowhere is it real clear on if that is something that the insurance company submits to the gov and all of that is behind the scenes, or if there is some active part that I need to take to get approved.

I have helped a few people using the the federal site, and will tell you how it has worked for them. Not knowing your situation, state etc, I can't guarantee it will be the same for you.

Going through healthcare.gov, you will put in your info and see a variety of options. They will display like you showed, a monthly premium taking into account subsidies, and the "real" number as well. If you sign up for one, it will work along these lines:

You will pay your monthly premium minus subsidies (the physically larger, numerically smaller, number shown in your image) directly to the insurance company. The Federal government will pay the difference (the subsidies you qualify for) directly, and that process is invisible to you. There is no other action to be done to affect that other than signing up for the plan with those subsides.

However, the actual subsidies you receive are based on your actual income for the year. Meaning, at tax time, these items are reconciled. If you earned more than you estimated in the signup, you will owe some money to the government. If you earned less, you may have been eligible for a larger subsidy, and they give the difference, increasing your tax refund.

When I walked through it, before you finalized signup, there was an option about how much of the subsidy you wanted to take. For example. if you were eligible for a $400 you could elect to have the government pay any amount up to that 400 max towards your premium, with you covering the difference. This is so you can hedge a little on your anticipated income.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Yeah. I'm self-employed and insure through the marketplace, and every year I just plug in my income information and it shows me my available plans and the premiums I actually pay. The subsidies happen completely transparently, and you reconcile them at the end of the year with your taxes (and occasionally may have to submit a copy of your tax return or income statements to verify things, but that may only be for us self-employed jerks). It's remarkably easy, and I'd be actually kind of happy with the process if I had more than two insurance companies in my state and one of them wasn't garbage.

$140 for family sounds pretty drat good and I'd want to double-check that. I pay about $170 for just me, but then again my genetics are to chronic illness what a nail is to a hammer, I'm at the age where Nielsen doesn't give a poo poo what I watch anymore, and I live in a state which would gladly supply magic beans instead of health insurance if it could get away with it.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Is there an insurance bigthread somewhere? I saw one for auto and misc but nothing for regular health insurance. If there is I'll def check it out and close this as needed

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540057

• Locked thread