Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003
Hey Folks, I recently picked up a job teaching children basic programming a couple hours a week for a local school. The kids are using things like Scratch currently to build their own storylines and games, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience in implementing games into a curriculum as an educational tool? I've been looking at minecraftEDU, specifically it's addon CodeCraftEDU, which looks like the perfect tool to teach the kids beginning concepts of Java, as well as incorporating things like Twine to teach them creative writing and storytelling.

I have a young man in my class who excels beyond his peers and he is extremely interested in game modding, specifically the Fallout series and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for how to implement those interests into the classroom? I'm not super familiar with the process of what all goes into modding Fallout, but I know that a friend of mine growing up built his digital design portfolio through level design for Unreal Tournament, which later netted him a job working for a developer down in Texas and I was wondering if there was a similar tool that I could encourage him to use and foster his creativity with?

Thanks for all the help or suggestions that folks can come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I can't think of a worse choice than Java for a first language or for children. Maybe COBOL? I don't know COBOL probably makes more sense starting out.

I get that everyone under 20 loves minecraft more than their family but man it bums me out thinking about all those kids getting interested in Java because of that and then getting turned off on all technical fields and careers for life as a result.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 16, 2016

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
There's that one Double Fine game where you have to use programming to solve puzzles and stuff, Hack n Slash was the name I think. It's not very good imo but it's the only game I can think of that really fits your criteria.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
http://store.steampowered.com/app/375820/

Human Resource Machine?

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
TIS-100 is probably too low level and evil, but Spacechem is a programming-by-stealth game.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Pryor on Fire posted:

I can't think of a worse choice than Java for a first language or for children. Maybe COBOL? I don't know COBOL probably makes more sense starting out.

I get that everyone under 20 loves minecraft more than their family but man it bums me out thinking about all those kids getting interested in Java because of that and then getting turned off on all technical fields and careers for life as a result.
It's not that bad, and it's a very safe career choice if some of them do get good at it. It's just weird they need to start with public static void main(String[] args).

Back in the day at my school kids had to do with straight up C. The rule in the computer class was that if you wanted to play games there, you had to code them first. Worked pretty well.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Unlikely that it'll happen at this point, but it sounds like Code Hero would be pretty close to what you are looking for. Unfortunately, it's basically dead, but if you can get your hands on the existing beta build it might be somewhat helpful?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
You could do a lot worse than introducing them to heavily modded Minecraft and teaching them how to automate things in a mod like Ender I/O.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
SpaceChem is pretty much a programming game, and is superb.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

jBrereton posted:

SpaceChem is pretty much a programming game, and is superb.

This. In general I think you'd have more success using games that cause people to think in an engineering mindset, as opposed to ones that literally use code. A few other quick suggestions:

Human Resource Machine
Infiniminer
Factorio

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
WarioWare D.I.Y. on the DS may be perfect for certain students. There's a whole series of tutorial problems going through conditionals and flags and finding clever ways to do things with the seemingly limited capabilities of the scripting language (and the deliberately limited scope of games you can make.) To top it off students can make their own art and music in it, or tear apart any of the included microgames to examine and even use their assets, including code/scripts. There's a companion piece of software on Wii that lets you upload and play the created games on a TV.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Prenton posted:

TIS-100 is probably too low level and evil, but Spacechem is a programming-by-stealth game.

TIS-100 is awesome though and probably a good introduction to mulithreaded programming.
Though you are writing assembly it does teach you good fundamentals of programming, start with what you want to do, then create the test code before doing the actual programming. It's probably not that good for kids starting out though.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Has there been anything like Colobot since, well, Colobot? All the programming games I've seen as of late are either assembly or one layer of abstraction away from assembly, and I've been itching for something that actually has its own scripting language that emulates high level programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I found NWN's toolset to be a good entry-level programming thing, what with all the spells and campaigns being open to bear for anyone willing to look under the wood-works. It helps that it is really flexible for editing as well.

• Locked thread