Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tommah posted:

nothings wrong with it but id rather figure out (325468*3221325)^2 using our poo poo

u mean LOGograms? ;) fk u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Tommah posted:

nothings wrong with it but id rather figure out (325468*3221325)^2 using our poo poo

actually i think you'll find there's no problem that can't be solved by doing lines

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

MiracleWhale posted:

actually i think you'll find there's no problem that can't be solved by doing lines

:eyepop:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
all shapes are just squares from weird perspetives, the circle is the square as seen by god himself acording to its true nature,.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Pulvis Sumus posted:

Pretty much. You were required to give up your property upon initiation and to swear an oath upon the sacred Tetractys, a mystical geometric figure. His cult of weird numeromancers freaked people out so much that they eventually ran his followers out of southern Italy.

you know, this sounds ridiculous only until you remember that bitcoiners exist

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Some of them were ridiculously smart and awesome, like Archimedes, and some were con artists who set back science and math for centuries, like Aristotle.

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

Cnut the Great posted:

Anyway, check out this duck someone just showed me:

That is fuckin rad

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Tommah posted:

youre gonna whine about how someone else writes out a problem while you multiply with an asterisk and exponentiate with a caret :rolleyes:

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 19, 2016

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Volume posted:

Yeah but we know them for math. Like they're literally just so drat nerdy that so many years later we still want to give them wedgies. At least be like the Spartans you know?

Aatrek tried to be like Spartans...

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
Trigger warning: spooky

Some archaeologists found the skeleton of a dude that drowned in greece and found this note on him:

"Hey guys, how do you write the square root of 2 as a ratio of integers? Also, same question but for the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle.

Thanks in advance"

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

gary oldmans diary posted:

youre gonna whine about how someone else writes out a problem while you multiply with an asterisk and exponentiate with a caret :rolleyes:

if I was a real man I'd use tally marks

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

OP, have you seen my duck? He went missing. He looks like this:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Addicus invented addition
Subtracticus invented subtraction
Multipliicus invented multplication
Dividicus invented linear algebra

sout
Apr 24, 2014

cool duck?
cuck.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

How would you write it? Exponentiation can also be written '**', but asterisk for multiplication is pretty standard.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Roger Craig posted:

Addicus invented addition
Subtracticus invented subtraction
Multipliicus invented multplication
Dividicus invented linear algebra

the Romans believed that a guy named Servious invented slavery :v:

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Guys I discovered atoms by cutting a piece of cheese as small as possible

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
dividicus is a good cool sounding fake roman name

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

sout posted:

cool duck?
cuck.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Orkin Mang posted:

all shapes are just squares from weird perspetives, the circle is the square as seen by god himself acording to its true nature,.

Absolutely. Ancient Persian mathematicians referred to the circle as "the fool's square."

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

i figured out a lot of stuff about triangles by myself when i was a little kid
big loving deal
i hope all of those greek mathematicians die

Whoah, take that Eratosthenes!

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

while these niggas were working on triangles i had already figured out hexagons

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Euclid was alright but goddamn that loser couldn't read between the lines.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

if you think about it all these shapes are just a bunch of dumb lines like sticks on the ground or something and you can just gather em all up and toss em in the wood chipper

Forward Toward
Aug 14, 2015

No Tank You. not today tanks. Tank you very much.

TANK TANK TANK

VRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Aren't all mathematicians a bit odd? I mean Napier was a necromancer and spent a lot of time predicting the end of the world.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Forward Toward posted:

Aren't all mathematicians a bit odd? I mean Napier was a necromancer and spent a lot of time predicting the end of the world.

Greeks also liked to gently caress little boys. Makes you think

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Pythagoras would of been quite busy I think since he had an entire island full of math cultists that he had to oversee.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Watch Numberphile videos to raise IQ points:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-I6XTVZXww

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Back in the late 1700s there was an indian tribe that had a belief that if a woman gave birth to a child on the skin of an animal, the child would inherit some characteristics of that animal. One day Pierre the fur trader pulled up to their camp in his birchbark canoe and there were 3 pregnant women who came to trade with him.

The first woman traded some pemmican and wampum for a deer skin, thinking "My child will be beautiful and fleet like the deer"
The second woman traded for a wolf skin, thinking "My child will be clever and a great hunter like the wolf"
The third woman got there and the only skin Pierre had left was a hippo. She'd never seen such a thing, of course, but figured "What the hell, my kid will be big and powerful. I think. Maybe"

So the first woman gave birth to a 4 pound baby boy on the deer skin and the second woman gave birth to a 6 pound baby boy on the wolf skin.
The last woman gave birth to a 10 pound baby boy on the hippo skin.

And the moral of the story is:The son of the squaw of the hippopotamus hide is equal to the sons of the squaws of the other two hides combined.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Galois was a crazy teenager who was arrested multiple times for threats against the king. Died in a duel to protect his name.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Galois was a crazy teenager who was arrested multiple times for threats against the king. Died in a duel to protect his name.

poincare comited haricare :(

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Hey check out this mathematical equation: OP + Post button = Bad Thread

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mylan posted:

Hey check out this mathematical equation: OP + Post button = Bad Thread

i turned my laptop screen at an angle and ur formula transformed into a simple square! wow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
If the greeks were so loving smart how come they didn't have LED lighting and I do?

• Locked thread