Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
For the web in general, almost all site make their money from advertising. creative-focused sites often have crowdfunding, tips, etc., and many news sites offer subscriptions, but what about all the smaller sites without a large enough userbase to find themselves outside of advertising? should a portion of your ISP cost go toward the sites you browse? a new tax to support public funding?

I'm fresh out of ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

cloud computing

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

"dank memes"

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Why don't they just become more popular?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

dreezy posted:

For the web in general, almost all site make their money from advertising. creative-focused sites often have crowdfunding, tips, etc., and many news sites offer subscriptions, but what about all the smaller sites without a large enough userbase to find themselves outside of advertising? should a portion of your ISP cost go toward the sites you browse? a new tax to support public funding?

I'm fresh out of ideas.

Current S.O.P. is to pay a traffic company to send a bunch of bots to your site to inflate traffic numbers. On the one hand, i t s relly scummy. OTOH, I suspect that this pays a great deael of my salary as a creative, and the only people getting screwed are advertisers who are too dumbto know the difference between organic and inorganic traffic

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
its all about the dark webs these days, OP

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Big data

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Is peak advertising a real concept? It feels like it should be.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
What if to join the website's forum you had to pay a registration fee?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

malware

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

state run internet

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

state run internet

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Get a day job.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
marketing people are monsters in human skin

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

nude pics

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
if the websiter were quality enough wou'dn't people pay for it?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
lol i like how your only suggestion is a new tax from the government to support your unpopular website

wait is this about SA

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
There are some web sites to whose owners I pay a subscription in order to view their content without hassle.

Some only require a one-time fee, but they unilaterally suck and are not worth your time or money OP

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Charging $10bux.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

jBrereton posted:

Charging $10bux.

What kind of idiots would fall for that?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Like imagine how much money Buzzfeed or whoever could make if anyone could pay $9.95 to change one word/image in any article.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
require all posters to submit hot nude pics of themselves when joining and then sell the choicest ones on the open market at a premium

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
cam yourself sucking dicks

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Donations
Products and/or service
Affiliate advertising (technically different from traditional ads)
Paid publishing
Transaction fees in P2P connections
Eat costs while running, sell to another party when monthly visits are high enough
Exclusive content
Sub-siting
Non-advertising sponsors

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
charging for avatars and accounts seems to work pretty good, but only continues to work if you can cultivate a stable, growing userbase instead of continually culling it like some kind of hosed up internet highlander competition

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
sell mod accounts to celebrities.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

aggrogator

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
there should only be a handful of respectable websites, and people should have to pay a few thousand dollars to have their posts published (after peer review of course)

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
oh and the readers should have to buy the posts in PDF format for $75

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Get paid to astroturf various brands and products