Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Slavvy posted:

I've never seen an USD fork that didn't still have the machining marks. I thought that was intentional because it's part of The Look or w/e?

Maybe - I've dropped at least 4 sets of USD forks in my life though, and these were the first with ridges that I could get a fingernail into. I'm pretty sure the others were smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Most of them have ridges like that, just helps them stay in place. They should slide in and out with a little twist and push though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If it doesn't come out without a hammer then I suggest you straight-edge the forks and the triples.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

I got the rear mount and crossbrace for the sidecar sorted yesterday, and took it for a test ride! :whoop:

Wait, what?

Oh, that's

really

bad. :stare:

I am packing it in and having a professional do this. I cut apart like 7 test welds, all of which looked solid, before doing this for real, and two welds on two separate parts of the mount popped in the same way, due to being only surface welds. Holy mother of poo poo am I glad that happened to me within a block of the house, rather than to my wife and dog on the highway.

Lesson: welding is harder than it looks, kids. And this is why they don't accept welds in roll cages. Imagine this poo poo with the force of a rolling car behind it! :science:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's why I generally avoid doing any structural welding :( glad it failed in a safe place though!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Well, glad you aren't dead I guess!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So what happened? Did it just break right at the weld from bad penetration? Or did the heat weaken the metal until it snapped or something?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

So what happened? Did it just break right at the weld from bad penetration? Or did the heat weaken the metal until it snapped or something?

Bad penetration, so the metal that was actually welded together (looks like ~0.5mm around the perimeter of the tubing) wasn't strong enough to keep the two objects connected under the dynamic stresses of moving.

Slavvy posted:

Well, glad you aren't dead I guess!

Z3n posted:

That's why I generally avoid doing any structural welding :( glad it failed in a safe place though!

Yeah, thanks! I'm also glad for these two things.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Holy poo poo that could have been bad. Glad you're ok. If they had taken the Titanic on some test rides, maybe we all wouldn't have had to suffer through that awful movie.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Next time V your two pieces and do a double pass if you're using a smaller mig. Don't be afraid to crank the heat.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think he said he has a TIG? Technique is super important in that case. Clearly more heat is required though, yeah.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
That's pretty impressive.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Yeah, TIG. Definitely not enough heat in these joins. I will be doing a bunch more practice welds and cutting them apart, but also per above am having a professional (DMC Sidecars) do this for me.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Dropped the bike and sidecar off at DMC this morning. They seem genuinely excited to do this job, which makes me super happy. 3-4 weeks (and $$$), and then my wife can finally actually ride her birthday present.

:lol:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Great, DMC does good work. I've got their mounts and sidecar on my Scrambler.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Project updates:

1) CB400F / Duna rig is nearly done!

The reason is was running so loving rich is... I installed the carb slides backwards. All four of them. They're two mirrored pairs of carbs, and somehow I R/L swapped both sets. Apparently it took the tech a little while to figure that one out... runs like a loving champ now, except falls over a bit at full throttle. I'll figure that out.

Turns out the brand-new reg/rect combo I bought for it was bad, so I installed a replacement and electrics are perfect! What a joy. Final bit: I didn't use any sealant when I re-installed the valve cover, and it's seeping oil. So that's a winter project. But it rides well! My wife has been out on it and is happy. Finally, hooray!

2) Turbo 696 isn't dead! It's just stalled. Still going to happen but probably not over this winter.

3) Adding the '77 XS750 to the project list! It has a thrown rod, and I'll be rebuilding it before starting the Turbo 696 project. I need to have something to ride while the 696 is apart, right..?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Bad news, everybody.

My wife is basically fine, a couple of broken fingers and a badly gashed knee. Nearest I can tell, the axle retainer on the left fork failed as she was headed down that hill - she reported (as did witnesses) an horrific wobble from the front of the bike, and complete lack of response to forward controls. Rear brake started slowing the bike but she had no control authority from the handlebars since the front axle was pretty much only attached on one side. She hit the side of an oncoming SUV, so her injuries are basically ante at that table.

It's just a bike, I'll rebuild the CB, but the sidecar is scrap. The outside is completely caved in, the nose is mashed, and of course all of the parts of it are unobtanium. Progressive says they're writing it off (surprise) but they're covering it, so she's still going to get a super-cool custom CB400F runabout once we're done.

I'm just glad she's ok. Getting a phonecall from her phone from a stranger saying "your wife's been in a motorcycle accident" and seeing her strapped to a spine board sucked a lot.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That is so sad to see, on multiple levels. I'm glad your wife came out of it reasonably ok, and that the bike is covered. At least you made some pretty drat good art, while it lasted?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

God drat this world :smith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Glad she's ok - i've always hated that axle retention design because I felt like it was going to fall off at all times :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That super super sucks. I'm glad your wife is okay, but man, what a disaster, after all that work you put into the bike. And as a birthday(?) present too.

I certainly never would have expected the axle block there to just...fall off. My CL350 has the same design and I never noticed any loosening up over several thousand miles of on- and off-road riding. Always seemed plenty solid. I feel like I have to go and recheck it now before I ride the bike again. Yikes.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

That super super sucks. I'm glad your wife is okay, but man, what a disaster, after all that work you put into the bike. And as a birthday(?) present too.

I certainly never would have expected the axle block there to just...fall off. My CL350 has the same design and I never noticed any loosening up over several thousand miles of on- and off-road riding. Always seemed plenty solid. I feel like I have to go and recheck it now before I ride the bike again. Yikes.

That's the best part. It didn't just fall off - I used locktite red on those bolts because they scared me too. The rear axle cap tab on the shock body sheared off. The metal has the appearance of fairly large crystals (i.e. not a great casting) in the sheared section. It was going to let go in this way at some point, unless the bike was never pushed in a corner or ridden on bumpy roads. Maybe that bolt was badly overtorqued in the past? Who the gently caress knows. Truly scary though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Old bikes, man :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Dammit this sucks so bad. Glad to hear your wife is going to be ok. I think you're right about that bolt being overtorqued. IIRC from my CB360 those are only supposed to be torqued to around 15lbs.

• Locked thread