Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wank
Apr 26, 2008
"CAV" now that's a word I haven't heard in a long time... a long time.

One of my prized possessions is my Tron Disney Archive Edition Laserdisc. Got it brand new back in the day for around $300. It's now worthless, but, it's also ridiculous and a monument to when I was single and had disposable income.

I always wanted that LD player that could play both sides.

When I watch any Star Wars I still get a feeling of having to get up just before the part you have to turn the disc over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

eSports Chaebol posted:

i think the matrix was the first big release on a dual-layer DVD so people who got in early on DVDs actually couldnt play them lol

I worked at Blockbuster when DVDs were first becoming mainstream, this happened all the loving time. I kind of felt bad, but :circlefap:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Skeleton Ape posted:

I worked at Blockbuster when DVDs were first becoming mainstream, this happened all the loving time. I kind of felt bad, but :circlefap:

looks like you are an obsolete early adopter too with your tulip glass instead of glencairn glass in your av!

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
IIRC laserdisk was analog, somehow. The huge jewel cases that ya stick the whole thing in there and it pops out empty sure was nifty tho.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Star Wars
Alien
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (long version)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn
Close Encounter of the Third Kind (SE) x2
WarGames
Firefox
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck Cartoons: Collection Two
On Golden Pond
Saturn 3
The Ten Commandments
The Royal Opera: Samson et Dalila
Má Vlast
The Elephant Man
Wizard of Oz
Casablanca
Chariots of Fire

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
has anyone mentioned how comically large laser discs are? i mean lol. why so big?

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Wank posted:

"CAV" now that's a word I haven't heard in a long time... a long time.

One of my prized possessions is my Tron Disney Archive Edition Laserdisc. Got it brand new back in the day for around $300. It's now worthless, but, it's also ridiculous and a monument to when I was single and had disposable income.

I always wanted that LD player that could play both sides.

When I watch any Star Wars I still get a feeling of having to get up just before the part you have to turn the disc over.

Back when I worked at a Best Buy, our internal video feed for the TVs was a laser disc player. One of the movies we had for it was Star Wars, and I get the same exact feeling when watching it now. It didn't automatically switch sides, either. So eventually, you'd get tired of seeing the first half of Star Wars all morning, so you'd watch til it was almost to the end, and then flip it so you could watch the end all afternoon.

"Looks like we're coming up on Alderaan..."
Looks like we're coming up on flipping the disk over.

"Terminate her! Immediately!"
...and flip!

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
i dont have any, so the op is seriously triggering me.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

thathonkey posted:

has anyone mentioned how comically large laser discs are? i mean lol. why so big?

You usually have to flip them over to finish the movie.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Dogmeat posted:

You usually have to flip them over to finish the movie.

i have an old star wars release thats on 3 discs

u would have to get up and flip the disc, get up and change the disc, get up and flip the disc, get up and change the disc

all to watch one movie

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
so it's like vinyl except worse

is the picture warm at least?

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i have an old star wars release thats on 3 discs

u would have to get up and flip the disc, get up and change the disc, get up and flip the disc, get up and change the disc

all to watch one movie

Yeah that's probably the CAV, you can freeze on individual frames or something and maybe it had more colors(?), but it limited it to 30 minutes a side. The Alien I have is all extended CLV, but the whole movie is still 3 sides across 2 discs.

thathonkey posted:

It kicked the poo poo out of VHS in picture quality, but yeah it's basically vinyl for tv.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

thathonkey posted:

at least with vinyl people say it sounds better than more modern formats

no one can legit argue laserdisc is better quality than bluray or pretty much all dvds

some laserdisc nerds argue the sound on LDs is better than on dvds for <weirdo logic>

and it comes on cool giant disks

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

if u like seeing the depths of collecting insanity, check out Muse laserdisc collectors sometime.

holy moly. :10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

no one can legit argue laserdisc is better quality than bluray or pretty much all dvds

some laserdisc nerds argue the sound on LDs is better than on dvds for <weirdo logic>

Unless you're talking about the original Star Wars cuts. Hopefully Disney gets their head out of their rear end.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

if u like seeing the depths of collecting insanity, check out Muse laserdisc collectors sometime.

holy moly. :10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Lol, you aren't kidding.

$127.50 for a loving brochure about a MUSE Laserdisc player.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-HLD...=p2047675.l2557

And that's a completed auction. It actually sold for that much.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

On a CRT tv with only analog inputs, I found laserdisc better than DVD. On better TVs with better inputs DVD is better. Sound is better on Laserdisc since it isn't compressed where it is on DVD - can anyone hear the difference though? No contest with Blu Ray.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
that's a lot of fuckin laser discs op

some i doubt even made it to laser disc so i wonder about the authenticity of the lsit

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

FIRST TIME posted:

Lol, you aren't kidding.

$127.50 for a loving brochure about a MUSE Laserdisc player.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-HLD...=p2047675.l2557

And that's a completed auction. It actually sold for that much.

lol theres a 4k+ muse laserdisc player listed as related at the top.

You know what the cool :10bux: thing about that is? even buying that you still can't actually play Muse discs until you get a Muse Decoder.

And u want the digital 5.1 audio, too? well, u gotta buy an ac-3 demodulator.

but wait, you have a DTS laserdisc?? hope u have a DTS decoding reciever, too.

anyway so after spending shitloads of money u can now have the same experience as watching a slightly blurry bluray with japanese subtitles turned on

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I predict that within 10 years, laser-read video-discs will hold twice the data, be ten times as large, and be so expensive that only the 5 richest hipsters in Brunswick will own them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
when i was a kid my friend's dad dropped thousands on a bitchin laserdisc collection. all i remember is that he had all the wishmaster movies

• Locked thread