Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

First, a bit of background.

I graduated in December 2013 with a BS in Math from Memphis. I initially got the degree to teach, but got dicked over hard enough in student teaching that it burned me on the whole idea. I spent the next 2 months looking for a job, and barely got 2 interviews, neither of which used my degree. Got a gig waiting tables so I didn't have to move back to my rural home town. Spent a few months doing that before I realized I should be doing something better, so I talked to an old professor who tried to recruit me into the graduate Statistics program. She assured me I would basically be guaranteed a job because the field is in high demand. I saved up, took the GRE, and began classes Fall 2014.

I'm currently in the last semester of my course work. I will take my comprehensive exam in October, and assuming I pass it, graduate with the degree in December. However, since I will have all of the classes I need, I will start looking for a job at the end of the semester in May. I'm 25 and single, so there isn't a lot holding me here in Memphis. I feel that if I don't switch cities now, I probably won't ever switch cities. That's not inherently a bad thing; I enjoy Memphis. I just like the idea of taking a chance.

My primary issue is that I'm still not convinced I can net a job, even with a MS in Statistics. A lot of people say the field is white hot and that I'll have absolutely not issues finding a job, but I'm still anxious about it. The only thing remotely relevant to the field I'll have on the resume will be the class I'm teaching on campus this semester, but I realize that's probably not really impressive for grad students. I've been haphazardly looking at job listings involving Statistics or Statistician on Indeed. Most listings want 3-5 years experience, which is something I cannot get. I'm 100% sure I'd be a model employee, but I need to be trained. I can't be expected to show up on the first day and dump out analysis when I've only had classes. I'll update my resume in the next few weeks and see what I can do with it.

So my question: how do I look for jobs in other cities, especially when I feel like it'd be a struggle in my current city? For the actual listings themselves, I suppose I can search Indeed or Monster. How do I address that I'll need a phone/Skype interview more than likely in that application process? How do I negotiate relocation waivers, or discuss that I will only be available in a few months as opposed to right now? Let's say that I somehow get the job, what will I need to square away to prepare for the move?

I guess this can be broken down into 3 components: how to land the interview, how to land the job out of city that I won't be able to start immediately, and how to move. I'm willing to listen to any relevant anecdotes/advice you have!

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
You're being a dummypants about looking for a job. A few things:
- Every entry level job asks for 3-5 years experience. nobody cares.
- Something like 90% of jobs are gotten offline, through networking. That is what you need to be doing right now, not making plans to look on Monster, ffs
- Your school has a career office and alumni network. Use it.
- Why haven't you done any internships? Try to get one over the summer if you can.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Seconding everything moana said above. Also, get a LinkedIn profile and read the LinkedIn thread that's around here somewhere. I'm getting 2-3 recruiters messaging me a week, and I only have a few years experience in my field (Software QA, not stats, but the same kind of companies are looking for us). When a recruiter messages you, add them as a connection, even if the job their offering looks stupid. After a while, you might get spammed by recruiters a bit, even when you're not looking, but that's a good problem to have.

EDIT: Here's that thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531540

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
What the gently caress are you doing during the summers?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Also, to answer your actual question about jobs in other cities, you can either tell them up front that you're able to relocate, or if you have a friend in that city, put their addy down instead. Then when you make the interview, just fly/drive out there and pretend you live there already. But honestly, it won't be a huge deal - most people relocate after school.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Thanks for the feedback thus far. I'll definitely hit up my school's office and see what I can do there. I'll also pour over the LinkedIn thread and put the effort into my profile.

As for what I've done over the summer: I've only had one summer since I've been in grad school. I experienced a traumatic knee injury that required surgery last April. I missed the last month of class entirely recouping it, so I ended up spending the summer making up those courses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

The best way to get a job somewhere you don't live is to pick a city where a friend lives, ask if you can "borrow" their address on your resume, and start applying. You can apply directly through the company's website, or you can try your luck with recruiters, whatever. Ask if you can crash on their couch for like a week or two, and line up as many interviews as possible during that time. The reason why the local address is so important is because most companies will not even look at you unless you are local (until you start getting some experience anyway).

Also, I don't know a lot about the statistics field, but my hunch is two things: some cities are going to be hotspots for that field, and you could further enhance your job prospects by taking some Udacity courses in Python or R.

• Locked thread