Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Crustashio posted:

I mean true coilovers like that picture of the DTM car. Using an adjustable spring perch on the trailing arm gets you ride height adjustment.

I didn't even know such a thing existed! I'm not well-versed at all in this kind of stuff so expect to witness some dumb decisions.

Mat_Drinks posted:

What is it with 2002 owners and not working on their cars? :3:

Actually, I'm surprised this thread has been up so long and I've somehow missed it. I'll definitely have to hang out and encourage your progress and hopefully you'll do the same in turn. Yours is definitely sharp, Golf is one of my favorite colors because it's such a great example of the weird variety that was out there in the 60s (and that I guess still crops up from time to time).

Thanks! Seriously, having others follow this thread has lit a fire under me to keep working on this car. I don't know what it is about 2002s that attracts slackers, but I agree with you 100%.

Also, Golf and Inka are almost certainly the trippiest colors for 2002s, but Inka gets overused in restorations, in my opinion. Despite that, it's a rad color.

Inka:

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'm curious, why'd you go with Jetta calipers in the rear? Don't late e21 calipers bolt right up? Or is it that they're more expensive so money wise this was the better bet?

E21 rear brakes aren't a direct bolt-on (I think, I could be wrong). From what I read, you need to swap the trailing arms which means you need to weld the 2002 spring pads onto the E21 trailing arms or convert to E21 rear suspension entirely (more welding). You also need to find a donor 323i for the part, which I don't think was sold in North America.

With VW brakes you just need to grind away a little at the backing plate mounting flange and use simple brackets. The caliper gets located at 6 o'clock, which is a little unusual, but shouldn't matter. In short, at the time of my research, the VW brakes were more bolt-on than E21.

Mat_Drinks posted:

How's your interior and is it stock? I've been half shopping for e21 sport seats but prices are so high for garbage that I may just recover what I have (old 911/944 seats).

I don't currently have an interior, it used to be tan ("tobacco", I think). Only the front seats remain. I have a black polyester carpet set from a BMW2002FAQ forum member who makes them, but it's a cheapo one.

I'm mulling over buying restored vintage Recaros from Asia, there seem to be a lot on eBay.

Mat_Drinks posted:

While you're dealing with the e-brake you should consider doing this, or if you can weld pre welding it to prevent the cracking that often occurs. See here for more info:
http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/130871-handbrake-upgrade-kits-25-shipped/

Reinforcing the e-brake mount is definitely on my to-do list, I'm thinking of welding in some reinforcement since the stock mount is so flimsy. If I'm feeling fancy, I'll throw in the bearings too.

Mat_Drinks posted:

As much as I love the car this one drives me crazy. I'll sometimes mention my 'old BMW' to non car people only for them to be confused when I tell them it's a 1968 BMW 2002. "14 years isn't that old" :derp:

Hence the thread title, I think all 2002 owners have this happen.

Mat_Drinks posted:

On the topic of turbo M10s, my 68 is far from a purist car and while I love having side drafts I could probably fund a lot of the conversion to EFI and turbo by selling them. It's definitely on the table in the future as pushing the car above 150hp seems like the right kind of stupid :getin:

Oh! And Meatpotato, check this out because badges are cool (I ordered two because I couldn't decide on color): http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/178067-2002-50th-anniversary-grille-badge-pre-order/

If your car currently runs, I highly advise you to proceed only once you've gotten all the parts you need and planned it all out. Otherwise you might end up like me.

Those are some cool badges, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Crustashio posted:

That is the exact car, and that guy posting in 2012 would be the fucker that got it out from under me. I'm 95% sure it has been half torn apart and hasn't run since. He wanted to make it a "race car".
Haha that's what I figured, hate when poo poo like that happens but as someone with way too many loving projects I can see how it happens.

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'm curious, why'd you go with Jetta calipers in the rear? Don't late e21 calipers bolt right up? Or is it that they're more expensive so money wise this was the better bet?
Only E21's that came with rear disc was the 323i and tracking down a reasonably priced set of 323 trailing arms is a bitch. Jetta swap in the rear is fairly easy, cheap and works well. As a bonus my DD and my E21 now share rear brake parts!

meatpotato posted:

I didn't even know such a thing existed! I'm not well-versed at all in this kind of stuff so expect to witness some dumb decisions.
When my next project shows up too many projects I'll post pictures of how they did true coil over in the rear of a production E30 shell. It's fairly similar to the DTM shell.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

NitroSpazzz posted:

Haha that's what I figured, hate when poo poo like that happens but as someone with way too many loving projects I can see how it happens.

Ah, but snapchat proves you actually do stuff!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Crustashio posted:

Ah, but snapchat proves you actually do stuff!

Picked up M10 EFI parts the local shop gave up on for a case of beer! Combine that with the megaspark parts and I have most of the stuff required for megasquirt other than the actual megasquirt thing. Want to drive the car a bit before I start loving with it again. It's still waiting for the exhaust to be finished, that's all keeping it off the road right now :(

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Sup m10 buddy! Your car is totally rad, but you probably already know that. I just picked up a '78 320i that's like 1/2 way to running carbs, so I've been following a bunch of 2002 threads and builds, cos the only advice I can find for the 320 is "fix your k-jet". I'm super jealous of how little rust you've got.

I was super worried about having rotted fuel lines before I saw this thread, but I'm a little more confident now if I have to replace them.

Got a weird question for you though, where the heck do you the PCV valve to? I'm trying to see what configurations the m10 had so I can figure out where to run my valve cover vent, as there was never really a valve on the k-jet system.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nubile Hillock posted:

Sup m10 buddy! Your car is totally rad, but you probably already know that. I just picked up a '78 320i that's like 1/2 way to running carbs, so I've been following a bunch of 2002 threads and builds, cos the only advice I can find for the 320 is "fix your k-jet". I'm super jealous of how little rust you've got.

I was super worried about having rotted fuel lines before I saw this thread, but I'm a little more confident now if I have to replace them.

Got a weird question for you though, where the heck do you the PCV valve to? I'm trying to see what configurations the m10 had so I can figure out where to run my valve cover vent, as there was never really a valve on the k-jet system.

I had an e12 with a k-jet m10 and suffered for a very long time trying to get it to run decent. The absolute bestest solution for you is to get a whole efi setup off an m10-equipped e30/e28. This is a good idea because you just need to swap in the e30 in-line pump and make the wiring harness play nice with the car, which is pretty simple. Second best is to go carb and keep your ignition system as is, it's a much simpler way mechanically but carbs come with their own set of pain-in-the-dick issues.

There is never a PCV valve for the m10/m30, all the ones I've seen just have a crude tube running from the cam cover straight into the intake pipe ahead of the TB. Can't speak for the carby ones but I can't imagine why they'd have a PCV either.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nubile Hillock posted:

Thanks! Where are you, and do you need to pass emissions?

Slavvy is correct, there is no PCV --2002s had a short hose from the valve cover into the circular air filter housing.

When I first got my 2002 the PO put on a long breather hose that just dumped to the ground, it probably sucked up a lot of crap too. I changed it to dump into a NOS energy drink can as a comedy option for a while, but will probably buy an aftermarket breather filter for it, despite the risk of looking like a ricer.

Edit: Might get an oil catch can to keep things cleaner, not sure yet.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Thanks so much for the info guys! I don't need to pass emissions, thank gently caress. Depending on where I go and who safeties it, they might get a stick up their rear end about a lack of catalytic converter and PCV shenanigans. I'm in Winnipeg, and there's no way I'm going to get a hold of an EFI intake or anything out of a wreckers, really. There are seriously like 8 BMWs at the wreckers and they're all mid-2000s models, guys keep tabs on anything that arrives and post it on FB. The car's already suffered from some PO fuckery and both fuel pumps are gone, the in-tank is bypassed with hose and the in-line is absent. It was on its way to a carb conversion, so that's the direction I'm leaning towards as it will be less work than getting it back injection.

What do you guys think of just using a u-bent piece of hose going to a breather filter to catch the oil? I'd have to empty it out every now and again, obviously, but it might prevent the filter from fouling. From reading other threads apparently some versions of the m10 have some sort of fibrous material under the vent to catch oil too, but some don't.

Also do you guys have any idea of how the weirdo k-jet fuel lines attach to the hard lines? It doesn't look like anything I'm familiar with but I'll definitely need to remove them.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Nubile Hillock posted:

I'm in Winnipeg, and there's no way I'm going to get a hold of an EFI intake or anything out of a wreckers, really.

Someone is parting out a M10 E30 locally (http://knoxville.craigslist.org/pts/5509120948.html), see what he would sell the EFI junk for. I'll pick it up and ship it to you.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Dude that's rad of you! If I hadn't -just- found a carb kit for cheap I'd be all over it. Definitely gonna keep this kinda thing in mind for future mods though.

Also OP post more pics

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nubile Hillock posted:

Dude that's rad of you! If I hadn't -just- found a carb kit for cheap I'd be all over it. Definitely gonna keep this kinda thing in mind for future mods though.

Also OP post more pics

Fine, but what I have is boring.

Last night I decided to replace the downpipe studs on the exhaust manifold since I had the manifold out and the originals were a little chewed up.

The manifold came off a tii and supposedly breathes a little better than the stock one it replaced, which had a THERMAL REACTOR (there's even a REACTOR light on the dashboard for when you need to service it) and a bunch of broken mid-1970s smog equipment.

Double-nutting the studs did nothing, so I bought an extractor on Amazon. It works like a drill chuck; it tightens its jaws on the stud as you turn the large nut on the back counter-clockwise. They zipped off fairly easily with an electric impact gun.

The threads didn't come out very clean, so I ran a tap through the holes with some cutting fluid.

Installing new studs with a slathering of anti-seize, just in case I need to do this again.

Told you, boring.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Ha look at you with your removable studs. Every downpipe over 5 years old here has the studs pretty much welded into it because of salt and heat.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nubile Hillock posted:

Ha look at you with your removable studs. Every downpipe over 5 years old here has the studs pretty much welded into it because of salt and heat.

That manifold is over 40 years old, California is pretty good for cars.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

meatpotato posted:

Hence the thread title, I think all 2002 owners have this happen.

Just to make sure my comment was taken as mean, I was making fun of 2002 owners not working on their cars because I own one and also don't work on it :)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759925&pagenumber=1#post458443623

NitroSpazzz posted:

Only E21's that came with rear disc was the 323i and tracking down a reasonably priced set of 323 trailing arms is a bitch. Jetta swap in the rear is fairly easy, cheap and works well. As a bonus my DD and my E21 now share rear brake parts!

Interesting, I need to look at my rear brakes closer. I've got a bunch of e21 parts on it already, I believe because most of them were obtained ten years ago before prices were were so high.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
A bump because I'm lame and don't want this to drop into the archival abyss.

The only work I've done recently is to begin to install new aluminum fuel lines on the underside along the frame rails, replacing BMW's insane (even for a low-pressure carbureted car) use of plastic lines routed inside the passenger compartment. I also relocated the high-pressure fuel pump which is probably a crappy Chinese Walbro clone to the underside of the car as well.

Maybe one of you could help me find a thing I'm looking for to finish this work. I want to place spacers between the two 8mm fuel lines and the ~3mm (going off memory) brake line running parallel with each other, like the factory used with the single 8mm line and the brake line.

Here's some sweet ASCII art of what I'm talking about :

( O O o )

If you still have no idea what I'm talking about, they're almost exactly the same as spark plug separators, but are made of of solid chunks of rubber with holes, rather than plastic clips.

I'm thinking I could just find a rubber block, cut it up, and drill holes in it but I don't want to waste time making something crappy (my fabrication skills are minimal but I'm good at bolting poo poo together) if I can buy something nicer for a little more. Ideas?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I haven't been under my car for awhile but I'd imagine there would be something factory from BMW. Try having a look through realoem under a few diff chassis codes?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

This is for the E21 but might be kind of what you're looking for.

Diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2933-USA---E21-BMW-320i&diagId=16_0155
Part #7 - 16121177005
ECS - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/guide-8-8-45/16121177005/

That one is dual 8mm and a single 4.5mm

That might give you a starting point

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

NitroSpazzz posted:

This is for the E21 but might be kind of what you're looking for.

Diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2933-USA---E21-BMW-320i&diagId=16_0155
Part #7 - 16121177005
ECS - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/guide-8-8-45/16121177005/

That one is dual 8mm and a single 4.5mm

That might give you a starting point

That's exactly the thing I need! Thank you :)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

meatpotato posted:

That's exactly the thing I need! Thank you :)

:hfive: there's a reason I keep a bunch of common models, all my cars, all my friends/families cars and some misc models bookmarked on realoem. I've worked on enough of them to remember seeing stuff like that on several cars. Sadly searching "guide 8/8/3" didn't turn up anything useful.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Nubile Hillock posted:

Same here in the northeast. Hell, I replace exhaust studs anytime the part is out and in my hand simply because I know it's going to seize and break off next time I touch it if I don't.

Also, here's some motivation to get your car done. Saw this car on mass rt2 a few weeks ago on my way home from work:

Crappy photo, but it looked decently restored.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I don't want to be lame and post a bunch of no-image posts, so here's a photo of a parts organizer box I've been using to keep my Genuine BMW Hardware* :smug: sorted. Also note that ridiculous per-nut bagging.

*Not all Genuine BMW Hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Bah, the one extra little grommet (that I don't *really* need) which I threw in with my order has to ship from Germany, so I've got to wait 3 weeks instead of 1 for those fuel line spacers.

... and I just realized there is a grommet I kind of do need that I forgot to order. Hopefully it's not too late.

• Locked thread