Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I guess I should update this now that I'm home from SAFF. The open judge wasn't sure what to do with jacobs and certainly not jacob lambs so I didn't bring home a ton of ribbons, but I got to spend the weekend with awesome jacob folks and they all liked my sheep which is better than any ribbon in my mind.

Roving Pennyroyal came in 3rd in the ewe lamb class in the jacob specialty.

Roving Smitten and Roving Sassafras got best pair of jacob ewes

I sold two ewe lambs there (and could have easily sold twice that, people were crazed about buying out of state ewes) and ended up bringing home this guy. Oops. His name is Levi, he's Katelyn's half brother.

Now I've got a game plan for AGM next year and I'm hoping to do SAFF again. Even without showing sheep I like helping out the other breeders and getting up to date with all the latest sheep gossip.

Also it is this baby's first birthday! She is a very good girl and still has so much growing to do.

This is crazy, we were at SAFF too. We don't raise animals or anything (hard to do in an apartment) but my wife loves knitting and would keep fiber animals if she could, so she very much enjoyed seeing the sheep. We probably saw your Jacob sheep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

smilingfish posted:

This is crazy, we were at SAFF too. We don't raise animals or anything (hard to do in an apartment) but my wife loves knitting and would keep fiber animals if she could, so she very much enjoyed seeing the sheep. We probably saw your Jacob sheep!

You probably did! Mine were the smaller dudes in 3 pens next to a big 4 horned ram and across from a shetland ram that kept trying to slam people through the pen door. I'm hoping to go again next year so feel free to stop and say hi if you're there. I'll let you pet the sheep and everything.

Did you see the teeny tiny baby shetlands? They were so cute and friendly I could have died. The friend I traveled with came extremely close to bringing some home.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Breeding is all done for the year and hopefully everyone has settled. I used CIDRs to synchronize everyone again so they're all due the week starting March 30th. It's going to be nuts!

Breeding groups are:

Garth, my new yearling I traded Hawthorn for

bred to Daisy

Mimosa, who didn't take last year so she'd better get her act together

Marigold, her younger sister/backup

and Poppy, who I am most excited about. These two should produce lambs with amazing fleece.

Monty, this is his second breeding season with me and he got a few bonus girls from another farm too

got Daphne, for her second batch of lambs sired by him. Her ewe lamb from this year sold at SAFF and is just lovely. Hoping for another good set.

Juniper, who has a single perfect lamb every year. She's 9 now so I'm hoping to get just a couple more out of her before she retires.

Ladyslipper, one of my up and coming yearlings

And Katelyn, who he was madly in love with. I had to take her out for a few hours to give the other girls a turn.

Unexpected new boy Levi got Isadore's planned ewes, much to Izzy's chagrin.

Aster, who should have lambs with lovely fleece with this guy

Jewel, who is in fine condition after two consecutive sets of triplets and was ready to be bred again. I told her she doesn't need to prove anything this year.

Clementine, who just tends to go wherever her mom Jewel goes to reduce the amount of yelling involved

And Indigo, who is so dark I'm not sure will pass registration but might squeak by as 85% black. I kind of love her look though.

Baily got all the non-jacobs, so 4 cormo ewes, 2 cvm/romeldale ewes, and the cotwold cross ewe. I gave the baby cormo ram a chance but he didn't know what to do and didn't want to try so he can hang out and mature for a year. He's just a May lamb anyway.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Marigold, her younger sister/backup

omg i miss dainty sheep legs :kimchi: do they ever get cross and stamp their feet at you? it's the least intimidating thing, it's gorgeous

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

incredible flesh posted:

omg i miss dainty sheep legs :kimchi: do they ever get cross and stamp their feet at you? it's the least intimidating thing, it's gorgeous

Herd queen Jazz, who is 13 now and still rules the roost, get super offended by things like me not giving her grain and also me still not giving her grain and will stomp at me. Such a crabby old grandma :kimchi:

• Locked thread