Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Fedule posted:

:siren:Update!:siren:

What's that sound? Why, it's the sweet siren song of :pcgaming:new gameplay content:pcgaming:

That's right, we're finishing this game.

Year 14 Part 1: Vellenjee, in which we slay the final boss.

And with new gameplay content comes the swansong of Donna Burke narrations and the return of lovely music!

[Across the Divide] Theme of Mt Vellenge. Somehow bleak, unrelenting and lovely all at the same time. Has a real nice flute bit.

Hell yeah, the ending to this game is crazy.

I really like this final narration because it drives home the central theme of the game, surviving and remaining hopeful and cheerful against overwhelming, sometimes impossible odds. Especially if you interpret these as being written by a former caravaneer, Donna Burke's crew was probably the only other caravan to find the crater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, that boss looks like it would be kinda bullshit on single-player... although I suppose at this point anyone playing by themselves has probably gotten pretty proficient at quickly refilling their used Phoenix Down slots and getting back to the action.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

WFGuy posted:

Yeah, that boss looks like it would be kinda bullshit on single-player... although I suppose at this point anyone playing by themselves has probably gotten pretty proficient at quickly refilling their used Phoenix Down slots and getting back to the action.

Pretty much. Alternatively, if you were a non-Lilty, you could take a weapon with a projectile Focus Attack, like Excalibur for Clavats, and hang out just outside its range, unable to get hurt by most anything besides the minions as long as you're as far back as possible. Spamming Holy from a distance was also possible. There's a damage and health multiplier for being in multiplayer, though, so the real difficulty are the chalice-suppressing crystal zones and the fact that the boss and tentacles can and will constantly poison you.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
:siren:Update!:siren:

Year 14 Part 2: The Plot Intrudes, in which we slay the final boss.

If you have a low tolerance for JRPG-babble this might be where the game loses you. Though, I mean, it could be worse?

The good news is that a lot of the stuff we're about to find out is reasonably well foreshadowed. We've never put a name to these entities before but we've been indirectly dealing with them for the entire game now, and even met one of them a few times. I do agree that it probably erred a bit too much on the side of subtlety, and could have used some more... direct, I guess, acknowledgement over the years.

There is of course plenty of new lovely music at this point;

[Echoes in the Heart] It's... the main menu theme again? But with some weird dissonant piano notes? Not a highlight tbqh.

[To the Successor of the Crystal] I suppose this is Mio's theme. I like it. It's very ethereal, and also a bit sad. Reflective, you might say. (Mio can literally only be seen in reflection.)

[I Don't Want to Forget...] The theme of... the door of remembrance, I guess? It's a slightly more discordant arrangement of Mio's theme. Is the discord intentional?

[Sad Monster] I'm not gonna lie, if you don't like bagpipes, the first two or so minutes of this are gonna be rough on you. That booming drum, though. Also, everything after the bagpipes is pretty nice.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
So, there's a fun fact about all this: Nintendo's official guides for all their games, unlike pretty much any third party game guide, would always be incomplete, not telling you the reward for 100% completion or anything about the final boss besides some vague hints. This part is where my walkthrough for the game ends, and the guides for completing all of the side quests, loot tables, enemy data, etc. begin. In a sense, that was the trade-off for getting the official guides: they'd always be accurate, tell you where all of the optional content is, provide detailed maps, and generally are structured very well, but never spoil the ending. Also, I take it back: both the Meteor Parasite and Raem are the only bosses that are heavily resistant (if not outright immune to) Holy, as well as all but the basic three elements. And here I thought I'd memorized all this junk back when this game first came out.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Can I request a podcast of the moogle mini game? :v:

I'm only on episode 38, so that's why I'm posting this request now.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
At least you don't fight a god this time.

Instead, you fight an alien drugged up on centuries of Linkin Park.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
That exposition dump was so bad it probably would have put a damper on my enthusiasm for FF:CC (alien ghosts would have eaten some of my good memories, if you will) so it's probably a good thing I never got this far. It's half a JRPG's talk prompts condensed into fifteen minutes.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

This section seems exceptionally painful, yeah. You've got more dialogue in this section than you've got in the entire 30-40 hours prior. In addition to seemingly completely needless constant stop/starts to the conversation and a bunch of trivia questions about minor random events that could easily have happened weeks of real time before - it's put right after a long and intense boss fight, and right before another boss. I can only imagine the controller-breaking anger of what happens of you lose to Raem and have to start all over again.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

SystemLogoff posted:

Can I request a podcast of the moogle mini game? :v:

I'm only on episode 38, so that's why I'm posting this request now.

yes, please do this.

followed by ff:cc my life as king and my life as a darklord

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
No.

There are like five wholly distinct reasons why, not least of which being we wrapped up recording ages ago and are now scattered across three countries.

If anybody has meaningful footage of Blazing Caravans feel free to share it with the thread, hell I'll probably throw it in with the rest of the stuff when the archive time comes round if you want. But it is entirely out of my reach.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Sad Monster is maybe my favorite track in the game, and one of my favorite boss themes ever. I get that the bagpipes aren't for everyone but the composer somehow managed to make a bunch of Celtic wind instruments sound menacing (albeit with help from a huge fuckoff drum), which is an incredible feat on its own.

WFGuy posted:

That exposition dump was so bad it probably would have put a damper on my enthusiasm for FF:CC (alien ghosts would have eaten some of my good memories, if you will) so it's probably a good thing I never got this far. It's half a JRPG's talk prompts condensed into fifteen minutes.

To play devil's advocate here, they had to account for the fact that you can beat the game as early as year 5 but as late as you want to, so most of the main plot-related encounters on the road stop after that year (Black Knight, Hurdy/Gurdy, parting exposition from Roland). Not everything though, they probably didn't want the player to rush to the endgame as soon as it opened up. You're right though, that is a lot of talking for the end of the game.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I normally don't care for bagpipes but Sad Monster is one of the best pieces in this game because of them, I think. Without the bagpipes I really feel like the song would be lacking.

Anyway, I did this solo a lot back in the day. Even after cutting as much time from it as I could as a stupid teen, it would still take me about an hour to get to Raem's fight whenever I wanted to hear Sad Monster. It's a loving slog and I will not defend how tedious it is even though I love this game.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I actually welcome this sudden thrust into the story. I never got to see it, but I did get to see the foreshadowing when I was younger and it's nice to see what the payoff is. It might be a little wordy for such a quiet game though.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's been a long ride, thread, but here we are; the final :siren:Update!:siren:

Year 14 Part 3: A Fight to Remember (or, Don't Attack Your Family), in which we slay the final boss.

There's no two ways about this; Memiora/Mio-Raem is utter bullshit. Even with the maximum stats and the best equipment, this motherfucker will end you with a glance if its attacks start connecting.

Fortunately, you can bullshit it right the gently caress back! Y'know, so long as you are aware of what you're actually supposed to do in this fight, and can line up some Cure spells against the awful camera angle, and are able to equip the ??? magicite in time (a freebie in singleplayer but a nightmare in multi if you don't have open slots) and cast it and get lucky. But if you do all that, the fight is basically over. A Yuke can plink it to death, so long as you can take out the head in a single cycle.

Oh, by the way, when those bubbles appear they consume your Memories, and your Memories do not reset when you retry from a game over. So, y'know, watch out for that.

I can see what they were going for here. I want to like it. I love the idea of it. I just think... they kinda stumbled. And his goddamn numbers are too big. Christ. At least it has real good music.

Fortunately, this is immediately followed up by getting to mercy kill the Meteor Parasite, which gets you a lovely ending and lots of lovely music. (I hope you enjoy the triumphant return of my scrolling lyrics gimmick)

[Unite, Descent] A badass final boss theme. What these guys manage to accomplish with a bunch of pipes, percussion, and some vocaloids is pretty astonishing, really. Oh, and that harp breakdown. Chills, man.

[Thoroughly Blue] If you didn't watch the attract video, you might not notice this is a straight repeat of Endless Sky, with like two bars inserted in the middle to pad the length. Not that I mind because that just means this track is amazing too.

[Starry Moonlit Night] the ending credits theme, performed by Yae
and
[Moonless Starry Night], the English counterpart by Donna Burke. No, I don't know why they changed how much moonlight there was. Anyway, this is a pretty great winddown track. Honestly I could go either way on the lyrics - usual 2004 translation caveats apply - but it's just such a nice melody.

[Starry Moonlit Night ~ Arrange Version] I don't know why this is on the OST. It's not very interesting. It's not in the game. There's no counterpart for Donna.

[Orgel of Water] Yep, this sure is the The End loop. Again, a great winddown. You may note it has the same melody as the end of year party music.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 18, 2017

Saphybelle
Jan 29, 2016
Is it really the end? I thought this whole thing would drag on for at least another 5 years. Wow!

...I promised myself I wouldn't cry!

Nah but in all seriousness this was really fun, I enjoyed most of the process of making it and all of watching everyone here experience the ridiculosity and our incoherent screeching. Sorry about that, guys.

Thanks for watching and also thanks Feds for putting everything together, especially the scrolling subtitles xoxo

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Saphybelle posted:

Is it really the end? I thought this whole thing would drag on for at least another 5 years. Wow!

Oh, no, I think you're looking for my other thread.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
This really was a fantastic journey from beginning to end. I wish that while you had access to the setup you could've done some of the other dumb forced-link-up gimmick games like Four Swords Adventures and....that's it. This game's soundtrack was one of a kind, since for a long time Square's played it safe with its soundtracks. There's a few sequel games, although My Life as a King, My Life as a Darklord, and Crystal Bearers don't really play anything like this. Ring of Fates and Echoes of Time on the DS, however, play like actual continuations of this game, with a few changes to the system for streamlining, such as removing magicite in favor of simply selecting the base spell on the touch screen (or holding R + D-pad), being able to jump, armor changing how you look, and, in kind of a step back, an MP bar. It's also far more...chibi? in how the characters look.

Anyway, while I would ordinarily say Crystal Chronicles is dead, the fact that a few references to Echoes of Time show up in World of Final Fantasy give me hope. And thank the lot of you for playing this all the way through for us. See you next LP. Don't forget to pack your Cure Rings.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Hah! What an ending. And what a journey it's been. Thanks for bringing us along, guys. You've been great fun to watch.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Oh gods, I had to fight that thing alone because I had no friends with both the game and the ability to play multiplayer. If you think they had a hard fight, holy poo poo...
Thanks for showing us how the game was supposed to be played... Because in an odd inversion of normality, the single player seemed tacked on to the multiplayer... but multiplayer was ruined by a gimmick.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thank you to the four of you for seeing things through to the end :allears: I'll always be fond of this game even though I think it bit off more than it could chew. Definitely a hidden gem for the Gamecube.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Fedule posted:

Memiora/Mio-Raem

goddammit

(well, goddammit at Memoria, anyway)

Thanks for the LP, it was fun watching this game but I don't think I'd want to play it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I do wonder whether they'd intended to make the final boss be straight-up named Memoria and just goofed/typo'd on it in the in-game bestiary data. Or if they were still trying to make it not completely obvious, just almost completely obvious.

All things considered, I could see either intention as being the truth, though if I had to bet, I'd bet on the first one because typos and translation errors are already a thing and bestiaries aren't exactly a place heavily checked for them.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Now we know why Saphy was never in the forefront as a party member.

She was simply biding her time and mastering Alchemy so she could eventually conquer the world as its immortal hero queen.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
It's complete! :toot:

Congratulations, you four masochists. Thank you for punishing yourselves for our pleasure. That was mostly lovely to watch, and it was nice finally getting to see how it all ends.

Feds, thanks for resigning yourself to being a Cure dispenser and heading mostly in the right direction (except when you went in completey the wrong direction for twenty seconds).

Cancer, thanks for doing most of the damage and reminding everyone that FF:CC is kinda bullshit a lot of the time.

Bram, thanks for putting up with Magical Taskmaster Feds and doing magic rather than hitting things (which is definitely more satisfying).

Saphy, thanks for putting up with being ignored most of the time when you desperately needed a Cure. You were the most deserving of becoming the alchemist warrior-goddess who survived the party (although don't think we don't know how the others ended up dying mysteriously after saving the world, Madam Ready-Access-To-Poisons...)

And all of you, thanks for not murdering each other over this bullshit/adorable/rage-inducing/charming/grindy/soothing/oppressive/undeniably unique game. It's been a blast.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Thanks for this LP guys. It's been a really great ride.

Seriously, the story of this game kinda sucks though. Let me see how much I retained:
A giant venomous alien lands in some desolate area and begins to spread his spores all over the world. Countless people die, but those god-things started to eat memories and pissing out myrrh, which together with crystals somehow protects from the miasma. That Raem jerk likes this situation a bit to much (apparently memories are really addictive) so he decides to protect that alien. Eventually Hurdy (or Gurdy, I forgot which one is the real name) and Leon try to kill it, but Raem snatches them away and turns them into crazy people with huge lapses in memory. All this time the other god is also there and does pretty much nothing, until it gets eaten.

As insane, obscured and stupid as it may be, even FFXIII has a better lore behind it.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 18, 2017

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
This LP came right around the time I was replaying the game, and lamenting that no good multiplayer LP existed for it, and I was really curious how different the gameplay would be in its intended form. Turns out it's way more awesome, if just as tedious. Congrats for beating this game's many challenges, be they from logistics, repetitiveness, or bs bosses, and staying entertaining the whole way through.

Since I somehow ended up making the most fanart (fangifs?), might as well add this rare footage of Saphy brewing her sinister concotions during the final few seconds of the meteor fight:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm glad I could see how this ended. I kind of really like the concept of the world, and the ending was pretty nice with Saphy's walk and Donna Burke singing over it. It's certainly a charming game, for all its faults. Thanks for sharing this with us.

• Locked thread