Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Pubic Lair posted:

This sounds good. I'm gonna give it a try. Do you have any instructions on how you can it? I have all the gear including a pressure canner, the jar tools and boxes of jars that are leftover wedding favors. I'm assuming I can can it simply with boiling water but have never canned anything before.

That recipe definitely has enough acid in it for a simple waterbath canning job. Process 15 min for pints, 20 for quarts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

pr0k posted:

That recipe definitely has enough acid in it for a simple waterbath canning job. Process 15 min for pints, 20 for quarts.

Ok, that jibes with a very similar recipe in my ball blue book I just figured I'd ask in case there was anything specific to this recipe to account for. I have a buddy who cans all kinds of salsas, pickled items, soups, stocks and syrup that come out of his yard. I have helped with a bunch so I know the basic processes but figured I would ask before assuming.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
is chimichurri a salsa?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I made up a batch of that salsa yesterday. I tried a bit and it's really good although I can see where aging would help blend the flavors a bit more. I can't wait to check back in a month. Thanks for posting it as it was stupid easy and cheap and gave me the push to actually try out canning. I am a pansy so I subbed out 7 Jalapenos for the Habenaros.

Total cost was $3 because I already had garlic, onions, lime, vinegar and jars on hand, so .30 per 8oz jar. The local Caputos won't put out produce with blemishes so I can go and get a giant boxes of tomatoes and peppers for $1. I'll have to start going early and seeing what I can find.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Might just have to try that out for Christmas gifts.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Jose posted:

is chimichurri a salsa?

yes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

someone post a good chimichurri recipe tia i'm just blitzing a lot of parsley and coriander with some other things and then add olive oil/red wine vinegar to a thickness i like

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Jose posted:

someone post a good chimichurri recipe tia i'm just blitzing a lot of parsley and coriander with some other things and then add olive oil/red wine vinegar to a thickness i like

Congratulations you have a good chimichurri recipe.

Sharkface
Apr 20, 2002
If we were going to create a taxonomy of salsa, we'd have to start with country and then break it out by primary ingredient. Having spent a lot time with mexican families, i've seen there are two major types of salsa, one based off of tomatos and one based off of tomatillos.

In northern and central mexican cooking:
Salsa based off of tomatoes is typically just called salsa. Spiciness can vary from mild to extremely hot. It can take on a wide variety of flavors and textures and can have tons of different types of ingredients. While everyone is familiar w/ the crappy salsa you get at the store or at chili's or whatever chain texmex restaurant you're at, it doesn't really do it justice. Different types are served with different foods. You can make a really good salsa by roasting a few cloves of garlic, a jalapeno, an onion and 3 hothouse tomatoes then throwing them into a blender with a Modello Especial. Leave it just a bit chunky and then cook it till the alcohol evaporates. Finish it with chopped cilantro and you've got 'salsa borracha'.. It's a good general purpose salsa, but it goes especially well with carnitas (slow cooked pork)..

Salsa based off of tomatillos is called salsa verde. Tomatillos have a pretty acidic character, so personally, i wouldn't use salsa verde for dipping chips, its better to cover your tacos or burritos with. Salsa verde isn't usually the 'everyday' salsa that gets served with dinner. It is usually prepared to go with a dinner that it pairs well with like milanesa. If a taqueria sat me down and brought me salsa verde as the house salsa, it would be odd.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Pubic Lair posted:

I made up a batch of that salsa yesterday. I tried a bit and it's really good although I can see where aging would help blend the flavors a bit more. I can't wait to check back in a month. Thanks for posting it as it was stupid easy and cheap and gave me the push to actually try out canning. I am a pansy so I subbed out 7 Jalapenos for the Habenaros.

Total cost was $3 because I already had garlic, onions, lime, vinegar and jars on hand, so .30 per 8oz jar. The local Caputos won't put out produce with blemishes so I can go and get a giant boxes of tomatoes and peppers for $1. I'll have to start going early and seeing what I can find.

Awesome! It's pretty good fresh, but after a month it really mellows out and the tastes all blend together. It also gets milder.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

mostlygray posted:

Awesome! It's pretty good fresh, but after a month it really mellows out and the tastes all blend together. It also gets milder.

Do you have a recommended amount of cilantro to use? I tried to go by taste on a second batch and think I overdid it a bit or maybe didn't use enough?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Pubic Lair posted:

That looks great. I'll have to try that. I have the All American pressure canner as well. It's awesome.

Do supermarkets sell bruised produce by the box like that? I've never tried at my shop rite to get those kind off deals.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

In my experience the only places that sell blemished produce for cheaper tend to be produce centric or specialty grocers. They constantly have stockers arranging and culling the produce so it looks good. The 2 nearest to me are Caputos and a independent called Josephs both have good deals on Produce and Deli with decent sale items but overall higher priced on everything else to make up for it. I just go there for specialty items like Sumac $4/Lb, sales items (they had 7.99/Lb whole tenderloins yesterday) and deals like meat and cheese ends.

For example I'll grab a box of 40 overripe bananas for $1, peel them and freeze them in bags of 6. Then I have banana bread ingredients ready to go.

Cheese ends from the deli are usually $1 or 2 a pound and make an awesome Beer Cheese Mystery soup. Most delis will put some together if you ask and some nice cutters will even ask what you want to do with the cheese and only grab end that will go in your recipe.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
My favorite salsa is dry chile arbol and garlic gloves, cover with oil and cook on low heat until the garlic is soft and translucent, blend smooth with salt and your preferred acid.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

pile of brown posted:

My favorite salsa is dry chile arbol and garlic gloves, cover with oil and cook on low heat until the garlic is soft and translucent, blend smooth with salt and your preferred acid.

Not sure I understand. Sounds like rehydrated chili paste to me.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Crazyeyes posted:

Not sure I understand. Sounds like rehydrated chili paste to me.

Yes, aka, delicious.

My favorite salsa lately has been the creamy lime green stuff you get in some taquerias. It's just a bunch of whole jalapenos and a bit of white onion, boiled until soft. Then blend the poo poo out of it (add a little of the water) with salt and canola oil until smooth and creamy. Jalapeno essence. Also works well with all habaneros. Beautiful colors.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Pubic Lair posted:

Do you have a recommended amount of cilantro to use? I tried to go by taste on a second batch and think I overdid it a bit or maybe didn't use enough?

I use a large handful for enough for 4-5 quarts. Basically a whole head. The "Cilantro" flavor mellows after the boil. If you're someone that doesn't like cilantro, use none. Some people really hate it.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

mostlygray posted:

I use a large handful for enough for 4-5 quarts. Basically a whole head. The "Cilantro" flavor mellows after the boil. If you're someone that doesn't like cilantro, use none. Some people really hate it.

Based on that I think I used a bit more than I should have, I'll cut it back next batch. My wife and I like cilantro, her mom and some of our friends have the gene where it tastes like dish soap so I only added some in a second batch and kept them separate. I'm not sure there will be any left in 30 days to see how it tastes when aged. I should probably just make few more batches now.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
there's no dedicated salsa thread really so i'll post here

I just made a wonderful cooked salsa using some fresh tomatoes from my garden, onion, garlic, cilantro, and one (1) scotch bonnet pepper, ripened to a dark orange. A little bit of lime juice was added, along with a tiny bit of brown sugar for sweetness.

I used a stick blender and some time on the stove to get it to a consistency I liked. Not chunky, but not entirely smooth. Mildly viscous.

Next time I'm going to roast the ingredients and see how I like it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I'm fixing to broil the poo poo out of some tomatillos+onion+little bit of garlic+peppers, blend that up with a bunch of cilantro, and then cook it on the stove for a bit and see where that gets me.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Jose posted:

remove the coriander and add garlic and you're done. maybe red pepper flakes if you like a bit of heat too.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I like Salsa that is heavy on the cilantro. I recently inherited a cook book from 1960s Ecuador and was surprised to find as the very first salsa a recipe for mayonnaise in a blender. Here, enjoy a rough translation of Salsa Mayonesa en Licuadora:

quote:

1 egg
1 teaspoon lemon juice
ounces of oil, salt , onion , garlic, allspice to taste
beat it all in a blender for a while

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Anyone else get a weird taste from fresh habaneros?

I know some people get a soapy taste from celantro, the poor fuckers, is a weird milk(?) taste from habaneros a thing?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I make salsa every year, and now that tomatoes are getting cheap I decided to grab some at the farmers market and make a batch today.

5lbs of tomates
2 medium yellow onions
3 cloves of garlic
half a bunch of cilantro
juice of two limes
2 jalepenos
2 serranos
1 ghost pepper
2 banana peppers
1 poblano pepper
1 green bell pepper
3 tablespoons salt
a dash of cumin

chop it all up in a blender or food processor, boil for an hour or so until it gets the consistency you want, then can it with a hot water bath. It made 2.5 pints and wasn't nearly as hot as I expected. Next time I think i'll go with two ghosts and maybe add a few habeneros too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I bought this silly little manual food processor at a product demonstration where the guy makes salsa and talks about how it can make smoothies and applesauce and anything you want. It can't really make a smoothie or applesauce, but it makes pretty good pico de gallo.
A batch is 1 onion, 1-2 Jalapenos, 4 roma tomatoes, lime juice, salt, cilantro (if I remember), and sometimes paprika to make it redder. It's really pretty good and I make it all the time, but reading all this makes me realize how much more salsa can be. I've never even thought about cooking it, only innovation I've done was add some umemoshi.

• Locked thread