Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

[Back Alley] - ER:38% (Condition: 5/5, Inhuman)

Corruption: 1d10 = 2

Back Alley stroked his chin, considering how to deal with all the wine glasses in front of him. While he could just sweep them off the table, now probably wasn't the time for ghost/suspiciously strong gust of wind/Obviously Invisible Man antics. There was always the option of starting a fire and letting the sprinklers deal with them, but there was a good chance that the Fundraiser would be spooked by the fire alarms going off. "Hmm, what about an 'unfortunate accident' instead?", Back Alley thought to himself.

He effortlessly slid underneath the table the glasses were being kept on and began loosening the table legs with his bare hands, trivial for his Renegade powered strength. The kitchen and everyone in it was too busy to notice or hear him doing this. With the table made properly wobbly, Back Alley slid out of from underneath the table and waited. He did not have to wait long. One of the hotel's sommeliers approached the table, only to trip over Back Alley's outstreched and invisible foot.

Somewhere, a slide whistle could be heard. Well, if it wasn't being drowned out by the sound of a table falling over followed by breaking glass, that is.

As the kitchen erupted into chaos, Back Alley coolly strolled out through the swinging door, resisting the urge to whistle innocently as he did so. He headed back in the direction of the Ball Room; he couldn't go inside, but he could still keep an eye on Stranger/Kelly from afar.

Going to cause Wacky Prank Show Antics using [2d4]Stealth + 2 (from style) = 8! Also spending 2EP to maintain my invisibility!

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
[Stranger] - ER:59% (Condition: 5/5, Awakened)

"Um... sure! Why not! Who knows where my drat husband is - probably on the prowl for his next trophy wife, knowing him. Well, screw him, right! The night is young, and so am I! Ha!"

A braying, unguarded laugh, and she covered her mouth and blushed. "I'm sorry, this is really going to my head, I don't know what's come over me..."

Dimly, she began to hear the sounds of clattering glass from the kitchen. Back Alley's work, she surmised. Perfect - she was sick of being defensive, anyhow. Time to go on the attack.

Kelly locked eyes with her target, smiling widely. She took a deep breath and linked arms with him, leaning close trying not to inhale and whispering "Hey, listen; my husband's probably going to be back at some point, but first I want to get back at the bastard. He's some loaded defense contractor or whatever, but he doesn't have time for me. I'm not a total ditz - I know you're using me, here - but, hey, I want to use you too. So what do you say?"

She pulled him a bit closer.

"Have you got a few minutes to spare? It'll be worth it."

Battle stations: Dilated pupils, quickened pulse, darting eyes half-determined and half-nervous. A pose to emphasize and display, but appearing utterly unselfconscious. A grip on his arm meant to be flirtatious, but clumsy, as though inexpert. Chess moves, all things she had run through countless times, anything to keep her head clear. And if she stumbled over her words a bit, well, it just made her look more authentic!

(Rolling (d6) Friendly Stranger + Corruption Bonus = 5 - not good enough, so Flawless-ing to 6, which is better, but still risky. Dark Bargaining for 1 EP and 4 Corruption and Flawless-ing again to 10. Going on the offensive, trying to haul him away - ideally towards either outside or up to our room. Either way, trying to pull him away from here as aggressively as I can without freaking him out - ideally keeping him distracted from whatever shenanigans Back Alley is up to.)

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

A Nice Party

Back Alley
You don't need to roll for more corruption just yet. I'd still consider all this within the same Scene. If we move to a fight or things otherwise change dramatically from the "dancing around the Fundraiser" stuff. The x2 Stealth for Invisibility also applies after the bonuses are added in so that's 10 rather than 8. All things considered I think we can assume success here. No one's looking for invisible wine saboteurs

Everyone stares in shock for a moment at the absolute mess of glass on the floor. There's a horrified silence. The Kamishiro organizer's face turns a fascinating shade of red and the sommelier framed for the accident would probably have his forehead on the floor right now if it wasn't covered in glass shards, but he's bowing so hard that he's nearly a "V" shape.

It's not hard to spot "Kelly", she stands out from the crowd quite a bit and right next to her is the squat form of the Fundraiser, handing her a glass. Kelly takes a sip and starts to look unsteady. She's probably okay, if Stranger really lost control his face would probably start to slip, literally.

Kelly
Extremely Cunning [d10]=7. Looks like you were smart to keep pushing that roll.

The Fundraiser grins up at you. "Oh, dear. I'm hardly new to that dance." He seems to think for a moment, "I suppose they won't miss us during the toast and those do tend to drone on and on."

He feigns mild reluctance but allows himself to be led away, towards one of the ballroom doors.

I'd say if you want to lure him to your room you'll need to make another roll to avoid his higher brain functions from kicking in again. If you want to just pull him somewhere relatively private on the first floor then you can go ahead and do that with your current success.

A Suspicious Factory
The Obstacle is Inhuman level but I get the feeling that won't be a problem here. Handcuffs [d8]=6

As you slice her bindings to filings Bullet Time whistles, "You are so cool, does the UGN keep lettuce in your pants?"

She giggles at her own joke, "Well, you've convinced me. I won't play around anymore. I'm about to unleash my secret weapon!!"

She does a cartwheel off the metal rod, making a three point landing on a nearby platform. She holds out her hand and there's a great flash of light...as the light dims you see in her palm...a whistle.

Bullet time brings the whistle to her lips and blows. The note is clear, sharp and keen. At first you think this might be another mad joke but your foresight lets you know that there's more at work. On instinct you look towards the factory where a gaggle of "security guards" have gathered around the entrance, trying in vain to get some kind of grasp on the battle that they know is going on far away from them. Then they are suddenly blasted into the air by a sudden shockwave.

With your power still kept restrained you barely turn in time to even try and defend yourself and just barely get a glimpse of your attacker as he rips his way across the pavement towards the industrial building where you and Bullet Time have been battling. With a tremendous leap the figure shoots from the ground up towards you. Even your sped up perception (and a fractional slowing of time) only allows you a single clear vision: an older, but definitely healthy, man with a pair of heavy fighting gloves and an expression of pure bloodlust. Bullet Time seems like a violent clown, just as likely to enjoy pulling a prank as blowing up a building but this man, Carnage, his face exudes a love of battle and nothing else. Then his fist is rocketing towards you, preceded by a blast of compressed air from the sheer speed.

Carnage, Boxing [d12] + Reinforced Gloves [d6]=20. That'll be 40 unless you Power Up to Inhuman as well. one +2 is from a Knack, another is from Excellence

Carrier Group 5

Blood Bath

Fortunately the battleship isn't nearly as complex or large as the aircraft carrier itself and you quickly find and disable the radio room. It doesn't seem to make a huge difference in the operation of the ship however...it was sailing like a drunken whale before and it's still doing so now. None of the sailors seem to be in a condition to retake control of the boat.

Shortly after successfully destroying the radio and while you are attempting to fish for another shark you notice Stricken floating over the aircraft carrier, followed by a flashy light show. There's an electric tingle as your liquid body acts a simple antenna but you are unharmed. The boat itself is a different matter. Lights flicker and burst and a nearby intercom speaker sparks and shrieks before dying in a puff of smoke. You can hear the massive engine of the boat dying.

Stricken
When creating an Obstacle there's no need to roll, you just generate one. However it will become a moot point in 3...2...1...

As you float over the carrier, looking for some way to pinpoint your foe there's a sudden explosion of crackling energy from the heart of the aircraft carrier. Your Lifeline Sensor broadcasts a warning EMP Detected. Emergency Shutdown.

Other than the failure of your radio and your Lifeline Sensor you are unaffected by the wash of tingling energy but the motors of all the boats below you die, ending the rumbling background noise that has filled the air since you arrived. You can see smoke and sparks from several electrical systems and at least a few parts of the aircraft carrier seem to be experiencing small electrical fires, probably computer rooms.

The EMP won't destroy your External Trait obviously but it will temporarily shut down the Lifeline Sensor.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
So is that a Deadly Weapon? Since you did not say, I'm assuming it isn't for the purposes of this action because it is more awesome that way and keeps the game moving

Wraithblade/William Jones - ER: 21% (Condition: 1/5, Awakened)

No pointless chatter, mere execution of the task at hand. Clear skill and focus in his area of expertise. This one, William knew, was actually good.

He raised Tchernobog to his defense in a flash. Not enough to stop the blow completely, but enough to not be simply splattered like a lesser fighter would have been. Still, William could not help but be flung though a wall or two by the force.

Defense Roll
Blademaster [d10] + Tchernobog [d8]=23

Of course, the deft sword movement had had another purpose as well in addition to simple defense. For as the blade rose through the air, it cleaved yet another shear at the timeline, heeding its time to be joined to the main.

Action Roll
Blademaster [d10] + Tchernobog [d8] (Slash Through Time)=23 And no, these are not copy paste errors. I've seriously rolled 23 three times in a row now. I wonder what the odds for that are.

Picking himself up from the rubble, William positioned Tchernobog in front of him.

A subvocal murmur was spared for his radio implants as well.

"Command. Requesting permission for Escalation Level Oni."

For defense, rolling Blademaster+Tchernobog with a +4 (Knack and Style) to stop dude charging at me, rolling a 23. Since I'm assuming it isn't a deadly weapon that still leaves me at 1 wound (since he would have to beat me by a full 20 to deal all 5). For my action, rolling Slash Through Time with Blademaster+Tchernobog with a +4 (Knack and Style) getting a 23.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 5, 2016

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Blood Bath

Bohn ride the shark to investigate the aircraft carrier with the sudden explosion. Someone might be injured and Doctor Blood is coming!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

[Stranger] - ER:63% (Condition: 5/5, Awakened)

Kelly laughs, stroking his arm and tottering on her suddenly-too-tall heels. She had just finished telling the first half of a joke, snorting, messing up the punchline, and then slapping her knees laughing. She had a way about her that made it endearing rather than annoying, and her eyes flashed with delight. She leaned in (too close, her breath hot on his ear) a spoke to him: "My husband is mingling here someplace, but we've got a room upstairs - a nice one, too." She pulled the card out of her bodice, waving it in front of him tantalizingly. "Let's go. Quickly, please - I don't want to have that fight, not today. I just want to rub his face in it."

He was hooked, for now, but she didn't know how long she could hold out. His aura was overpowering, and it was all she could do to keep a 'straight face'. Upstairs. Up to the room, away from all these people. His Solaris powers were unpredictable, but they'd drat sight more dangerous with a crowd of bystanders. As she walked, she tapped out R O O M into her cellphone - embedded into her lower back, well out of sight. Everything was going smoothly - too smoothly. She didn't like this; not enough intel for her comfort. But what else could she do now but play her part?

(Rolling (d10) Infiltrator + Corruption Bonus + Excellence = 11 to bring him up to our room. And, yes, the security guard is (or was) tied up in there, but for the sake of argument and sensibility Stranger tied him up with sheets and locked him in the bathroom. Ideally he's still unconscious, but worst case he's gagged anyhow!)

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Stricken
Corruption: (69)
Inhuman (5/5)

"Face me!" She exclaimed, her aura crackling like a small storm around her, hoping that her renegade enhanced voice would carry further than disrupted radiowaves. That her challenge would stir her enemy from his hiding place.

She waited impatiently in the air for a sign, anything at all.

"Fine! You want this fleet?" she yelled, voice breaking, half mad. "That's why you are here? To steal boats like you steal minds? Then lets play a game!"

She hung motionless in the air, exuding wrongness. Aboard a nearby destroyer those few with the presence of mind flung themselves to the lifeboats, whereas other merely fell over on the spot, terror fighting a losing battle against whatever force was controlling them.

"Its called battleship!" she yelled, right arm shooting out to point at the nearby vessel "and I'm sinking yours!!!"

//Flashback - Lost Hope Orphanage - Interior //

The little girl looked longingly into the warmly lit commonroom where all the other orphans had gathered around the one still intact boardgame, Battleship(tm). She dared not enter, for fear of being teased. A little girl was not man enough to play the games of war they said, and so she hid beind pale bangs and a half open door, watching as her fake/forced family tore itself apart over the minutiae of rules interpretation.

Frightened and alone she retreated to the dorm, digging out her treasure from underneath rickity floorboards. An old music player, containig a tape she had listened to a million times over. She dared not show it to anyone, lest it too be taken away. She huddled in a quiet corner anxiously, treating herself to just one more song, one more memory.

Outside the rain was pouring, the pitter patter of the crying sky mimicking the rain of blows of the fighting children.

Inevitably the management got wind of the scuffle, the headmaster swooping down from his office like some ancient dragon, doling out punishment like God.

Only Stricken was spared his righteous wrath, but that only made it worse. She must have tattled, they reasoned. Jealous of their games.

Through tears she could still remember the beatings that followed. Through screams she would never forget.

//Flashback//

A gout of plasma erupted from her arm as the still ocean air ionized from the sudden impact of her auras unfounding effect. In twin trails it streamed towards the missile bays of the destroyer where it would undoubtedly strike with devastating effect unless somehow intercepted.

---

Warding is in effect. Scaring all the nearby sailors into lifeboats. For my action I'm just all out attacking the nearest destroyer untill the bad guy comes out to stop me.

[d10] Annihilation Aura + [d4] Chewing the Scenery + 2 from style and + 1 from corruption, spending one ep on flawless, saving one in case I need it to defend.

On vacation so I don't have access to orokos, so if you could roll for me that would be great!

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Back Alley watched Stranger fake the drugged up funk with fascination and just a twinge of revulsion. His Renegade fueled senses allowed him to (at least partly) see some of Stranger's inner workings, which seemed hard at work sequestering tainted wine. Back Alley's x-ray studies of what passed for anatomy in Stranger's amorphous body were interrupted by a high frequency whine coming from the shapeshifting spy's body followed by a buzzing from his cell phone. Back Alley whipped it out, adjusting his invisibility field to adjust for the light from the screen. Aaaaand Stranger got the Fundraiser!

Back Alley broke into a brisk stroll towards the stairwell, slipping past the guard when he looked away. Once inside and out of earshot of anyone else, he sprinted up the stairs to the floor 'his' room was on. Hopefully he could make it there before them.

Spending 2 EP to maintain invisibility and rolling [2d4]Stealth + 2 (style) = 8 to get to the room before Stranger and the Fundraiser can!

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

A Nice Party

Kelly
Extremely Cunning [d10]=22. Looks like he's rumbled you, but your first check will get you away from the main ballroom

You pull him along through the crowd in the ballroom and into the hallway, heading towards the elevator. He laughs "Oh my, my, my. It seems I am being swept off my feet!" He pulls your hand up to his lips and lays a kiss on the back.

You can feel his grip tighten and his body stiffens slightly. You're sure now that he's onto you. You're not sure what it is, perhaps his chemical analysis revealed your disguise, maybe he noticed you weren't putting out the right pheromones or chemical byproducts to be properly drugged. Whatever it is...he's clearly alert.

However, instead of attacking or fleeing or releasing a cloud of corrosive gases he simply straightens up and smiles just as cheerfully as before. "One thing my dear, I'm afraid I must answer a call of nature. If you would do me the honor of waiting just a few minutes..." He indicates the bathroom just a few yards down the hall and starts towards it.

Back Alley
Your roll is definitely good enough to stay unseen with invisibility. I'll say you spot the Fundraiser splitting off from Stranger before you slip by security to get upstairs.

You move quickly, your footsteps muffled by the soft carpeting of the hotel, and quickly rush by Stranger and the Fundraiser as they slip out of the ballroom. You're on your way to the stairs when you see the two of them stop, the Fundraiser appears to be taking a bathroom break. It's hard to read Stranger's body language at the best of time, especially when he's "in character" but you're fairly sure this is not part of the plan.

Suspicious Factory
Just to establish combat order...Wraithblade->Carnage->Bullet Time. And the gloves are tough (they're more like gauntlets than boxing gloves) but they're not quite nasty enough to be a Deadly Weapon.

The older man, the man identified in your briefing as the False Hearts agent "Carnage", quirks an eyebrow as you get to your feet. You don't think he's puzzled by the fact that you survived his blow, rather he seems suspicious of your inaction in the face of such an attack.

Over your radio you can hear "Granted, but remember the goal is information. If this turns into a bloodbath it'll be a disaster."

As if to emphasize the statement Carnage seems to have decided to see what trick you're hiding up your sleeve and rushes in again. He lunges recklessly forward but rather than the heavily telegraphed frontal attack he suddenly shifts direction, completely ignoring the laws of momentum and inertia he dashes serpentine and then comes in from your left side with a series of lightning-fast jabs.

To an ordinary person, and indeed to most Overeds, it would have looked like he suddenly blinked out of existence leaving only blurred after-images all around you. Your Syndromes allow you to see this all happening, to process the attack, but your body is still moving so slowly compared to his and that fist is rocketing towards your unguarded side at literal rocket-speeds.

Martial Arts Master [d12] plus Reinforced Gloves [d6]=27 (1 EP spent on Excellence in there). Orokos has been on fire for Carnage. Doubled to 54 if you stay at Awakened. You probably caught on already that it's probably the best option, since there's no overflow from being KO'd and you can then Power Up and wipe out all damage. Bullet Time will also get an action, but I'll wait for your reaction to Carnage's Omega Shadow Jab

Carrier Group 5

Stricken
Happy to roll for you. The battleships and carrier operate on Monstrous level so currently you're going to be doing some damage but it'll take some time to effectively sink one at Inhuman (inhuman attacks are more on the scale of rocket launchers than artillery). Your roll was 13 and was the same for your Flawless re-roll. The ship got a 12 after doubling for the Power Level difference. Damaged but not sunk yet.

Descending on the ship you start burning through its upper deck, turning sheet metal and rivets into buzzing, white-hot mist. It won't be long before the whole thing is completely destroyed. However, you don't need to wait that long for a "reply"

Your first warning is a flash of light from the deck of the aircraft carrier. It's difficult to make out due to both the distance and the haze of half-melted hull-metal. However your instincts are good enough to react before your brain processes the tiny-looking human shape on the deck of the aircraft carrier hefting a massive weapon.

Since you weren't using Projection you'd need to be relatively close to the battleships to start tearing them apart but you're still close enough to be considered [Far]. Yuri's attack: =12. He's currently at Inhuman as well. Happy to roll for you (I'll also trust you if you have off-line rolling means available) but I figured I should hear how you might be spending or saving EP first.

Blood Bath

You get off your boat just in time because Stricken has apparently decided that she is not going to tolerate its existence any longer and begins blasting it with plasma and unresolved issues. As she's tearing the thing apart you slurp your way up the side of the aircraft carrier just in time to see some huge guy with a huger gun take a shot at her. The noise is intense and causes your blood-body to ripple unpleasantly. You recognize the gunman, although you got only a brief glimpse last time before getting a face-ful of the Schism virus, he's the big Westerner who was assaulting the army base, the one ID'd as Yuri Volkov.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Wraithblade/William Jones - ER: 39% (Condition: 5/5, Inhuman)

As the fist advances towards William, it starts to unexpectedly slow down. In fact, everything starts to slow down, all movements grind down, all sound warps into deep discordant rumbles, and everything starts to take a greyish pallor, this process continuing until everything was static and monochrome. And then, reality shattered. Shards of spacetime flicker red and blue in the strange non-being for a bit, until everything knits back together again: with Carnage and Wraithblade facing each other as if the last attack had not even happened.

William stared, largely the same except now possessing a strange ethereal quality that was difficult to put a finger on, as if he was not entirely there. The room around him seemed strange too, the dimensions wrong in a way that was not immediately apparent but enough to make one queasy.

Nothing but a glance was spared between the opponents, until it was time to clash once more.

And as William moved in for first strike alongside his temporal echo, one thing was clear: no quarter would be given.

Action Roll
Blademaster [d10] + Tchernobog [d8]=11 rolling Flawless, getting Blademaster [d10]=11
My total roll is therefore 17, and I'm adding my Slash Through Time to that (which was 23), getting a nice, round 40 as my total roll.

Taking my beats at Awakened (not even bothering to roll defense) and powering up to Inhuman. Rolled corruption, got 18 (ouch). For attack, rolling Blademaster+Tchernobog with a +4 (Knack and Style) to slash a dude, rolling a 11, rolled flawless to get a total of 17. Adding Slash through time to that for a total attack roll of 40 with a deadly weapon, meaning this guy has to roll better than 24 to avoid instagib (disounting Unbreakable).

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Stricken
Corruption: 69
Condition: (5/5 – Inhuman)

Her reckless plan of beginning to kill the hostages before her foe had even had a chance to abduct them properly seemed to have worked; her renegade-wrecked survival instincts tearing her away from the On-Site-Action-Therapy Session and into combat with the rail-gun toting Russian.
She turned to look at him in mid-air, eyes narrowing.

Signature Power Activate, Orbital Reflection Protocol: Ramiel!

Raw energy flared around her as her aura lashed out in all directions; slashing holes in the fabric of space-time, causing it to bend like an M.C. Ecsher painting. What was up became down, forward backward and her very image hovering in the air inverted in a nightmarish display as it absorbed the railgun projectile and collapsed in on itself. For a moment all was silent.

[d8] Orbital Reflection (part one): 2d8o8k1 = 15 + [d6] Orbital Reflection(part two): 1d6o6k1 = 4 + 1 corruption + 2 style = 22
For my defence action I am using my last EP on Orbital Reflection which allows me to make a defence roll that, if successful, counts as a counter-attack, sending any ranged attack made at me or [nearby] allies back at the attacker.

Then, reversing the effect as quickly as it had begun, Field Agent 'Stricken' was vomited out of the aether twisting back into her usual sombre shape through at least six different dimensions, releasing the captured kinetic energy right back where it came from; Yuri himself.

This except with a sad girl instead of a prism

Following up the hyperbeam was a series of pinpoint accurate anti neutrinos, targeting anything even remotely explosive looking on the Aircraft Carrier around the Russian. Like those brand new F-35s. Those would do nicely.

[d10] Annihilation Field (Plus Affliction): 2d10o10k1 8 + [d6] Field Manipulation Device (external): 1d6o6k1 11 + 2 Style +1 corruption = 22 to attack him, spending 1 ep to create an affliction [Surrounded By Exploding F-35 Fighter Jets], spending the other 1 Ep to pay upkeep for my Orbital Reflection.

Floating calmly in the midst of a nebulae of multicoloured motes of dust framing her against the relative calm of the sky, 'Stricken' sneered down a the enemy combatant, waiting for his next move.

Don't forget about the Em Chaff Obstruction I created a round or two ago! Those don't go away until he makes an opposed roll! I imagine they make computer-aided targeting (like that used in a railgun) harder or something.
TL:DR for the turn: Defence: Using my Signature Power to absorb all incoming ranged attacks within [Nearby] Distance, allowing me to roll a counter attack to deflect it back at my enemies: 22
Attack: Attacking Yuri with an additional Affliction as well as paying upkeep on the Orbital Reflection: 22

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Kelly nodded her acquiescence and gestured towards the door with an open palm. "By all means, go ahead - but don't take too long!" The instant the door closes, she frowns. She'd been made. A quick gesture at Back Alley (who she assumed was around here somewhere - hopefully he had spotted them!) then she subvocalized an instruction to Ex Machina's robo-moth, asking for a complete communication jam centered on the bathroom. Whatever he was doing in there, she didn't want him calling for help.

She stepped through the bathroom door a heavy-set man, a bouncer she'd seen down below in the main hall. He took in the bathroom, peering surreptitiously under the stalls and at the urinals. He washed his hands thoroughly, wiping something off the back of one hand - and then he threw a fierce punch, lunging towards the Fundraiser's face.

(Oh well, it was nice while it lasted! Initiative is 18. Rolling (d8) Unnatural Speed + Corruption Bonus + Excellence + Knack = 7 to punch him! Avoiding attacking him supernaturally just yet, though almost certainly he knows the score. My roll history is a mess; first roll was intended to be the combat roll (getting 10) and second was initiative (getting 18). However, my combat roll was rolled on a d10, which Unnatural Speed is not. I think it's probably more fair/accurate to use my second, d8 roll than my initial one on the d10.)

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 10, 2016

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Blood Bath

That was close! And this is the second time that Radiation Ghost has nuked a ship that he was on! That's it, she can blow up all the ship she wants and Bohn will stay underwater where it is safe with all these hungry sharks. He will work on protecting all the sunken sailor from dying with air bubble blood fort and slowly ship them all to a nearby island or something.

It would be so much easier if the American Navy would bother to teach these guys how to ride shark.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 10, 2016

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Back Alley saw and heard everything. The brief change in body language. Stranger's subvocal command to the robo-moth. Looks like a change of plan was in order. Back Alley followed the Fundraiser into the bathroom, slipping in before the door closed behind him. He stood in an out of the way location, watching the target, attempting to take as few breaths as possible around the possibly toxic man. His attention was diverted for a moment by a large man, probably a bouncer, entering.

Upon closer (x-ray) inspection, however, the bouncer turned out to be Stranger; Back Alley waited for him to make the first move. As Stranger lunged at him, the Fundraiser's shadow peeled away to reveal Back Alley, face blacked out and tuxedo colored bright red with an ever-shifting floral pattern.

"Word of advice, pal?"

Back Alley brought his arm around the Fundraiser's neck, putting him in a chokehold.

"Married women are always more trouble then they're worth."

Rolling [d10]Brawling + 2 (style) to put this nerd in a chokehold. Rolled a 9! Also I would like this to be stress damage.
Rolling [d6]Dance + 2 (style) for initiative. Rolled a 7!

Question for orion: If I'm dropping invisibility this round, do I still have to pay to maintain invisibility or can I use my EP on other stuff?

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 14, 2016

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Again, really sorry for all the delays. Caught up in [[Boring Life Drama of the Week]] and it's been tough to find time in front of the internet. However, so long as you guys are willing to tolerate me I'm not giving up. By god I'm going to finish a PbP game, even if it's only a short-term playtest!

Speaking of, your feedback (and especially Theantro's utter reaming of NPC opponents) has provided me the material to complete a new draft of the system, with some fairly significant changes. Since the amount of changes could affect things like character builds and strategies I wanted to give you all the option of updating to the latest rules at the end of the Session or just continuing the plot with the rules as-is.

A Nice Party

Stranger
Initial defense roll was a 5, spending an EP on Flawless for a 9.

When you enter the bathroom there's no need to search for the Fundraiser, he is standing next to the sinks, vigorously washing his hands. He nods politely when you enter and begin to walk around the bathroom behind him before you suddenly lash towards him, aiming at the bald spot on the back of his head. Unsurprising for an Overed he's more spry than he looks. He spots your turn in the mirror and just barely manages to bring up an arm, deflecting the blow off his forearm.

He grins a sleazy grin, "Oh my, is that dear Kelly? Or is that someone else?"

Back Ally

Regarding the question for Invisibility. When you drop an Ongoing Power you don't get the invested EP "back" until the start of your next action. Since the Fundraiser can't see your cloaked attack coming he has to roll a [d4] getting 5]. I'll consider this the start of a new Scene meaning you can choose to stay Inhuman (rolling the extra Corruption and doubling your roll) or drop down to Awakened along with dropping your invisibility. Either way you beat the guy's roll, 1 Stress if you Power Down and 3 Stress if you stay Powered Up. I'm assuming from your description you'll be Seizing Control?

The Fundraiser may have seen Stranger coming but he certainly doesn't notice Back Ally until its too late. He gurgles as he is lifted on his tip-toes by the taller man.

"Oh...hurk...how...how rude!" Despite the assault he seems to be smiling, "What brutes the UGN have become!"

The Fundraiser puts up a mild struggle...of course he's more than strong enough to toss normal men around but for an Overed he's hardly physically impressive.

The Fundraiser isn't going to attack immediately, we'll keep the current initiative rolls and simply assume he's last as he's somewhat giving up initiative. His actions will depend a bit on yours so let me know what you're going to try to do with him now that you've got him in this situation...just starting whaling on him or are you going to strike up a conversation now that the trick failed?

A Suspicious Factory

Carnage gets a 17 and is going to be using Dark Bargain to snag another EP and spend that along with his remaining EP for Unbreakable to reduce damage by 2, leaving it as a barely survivable 4 Damage.

As the "twin" attacks lunge towards him Carnage simply lets out a gleeful "Ha!" as he raises his gloved fists up in a defensive maneuver. Your combination of accelerated brain rate and personal temporal field means that the older man isn't moving faster than your eye can track but he is still quite fast. With one armored forearm he deflects one of your two blades but the other is coming in from behind at the same time. By the time Carnage has twist around he's caught in the inevitable arc.

He curves his body with amazing speed and flexibility, preventing the black blade from completely vivisecting him but the edge grazes a shallow slave across his abdomen, heading towards his throat when he lets loose a powerful shout...well, more like a shockwave. The blast disperses your temporal double and sends you back a few feet towards a nearby wall as Carnage rises.

Above you there is a swift movement as the girl, Bullet Time, backflips over both your heads and lands on her feet on the steel wall about 15 feet above you, denting the metal slightly as she brings a pair of brand-new pistols to bear on you from above.

Bullet Time's Shooting [d10]=12. Not likely to be much of a threat but she is spending 1 EP on Mighty (3) in case that gets through.

Although there are bullets literally raining down on you they're hardly the primary threat and you quickly snap your eyes back to Carnage's position but...he's gone, leaving a visible pair of rapidly cooling red-hot spots on the steel surface of the steel-plate floors. Your brain silently performs some momentum and positioning estimations...very fast indeed. By the time you shift your position slightly he's in close again, blood streaming across his chest and a broad grin on his face.

Carnage's attack Master Martial Artist [d12]=17 (that's 1 EP on Excellence and a +1 from corruption added in after the roll). If that succeeds he's going to be Seizing Control to knock that sword from your hand.

Have to get to bed, will finish tomorrow.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 22, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Wraithblade/William Jones - ER: 39% (Condition: 5/5, Inhuman)

In a way, William could not help but be impressed by the fact that the man was still standing, even he was still his inferior. Now, at escalation level Oni such things were to be expected to a degree, but it was nonetheless fairly impressive.

William quickly stepped back a dozen meters or so, deflecting bullet from the annoying girl and taking a swipe at her, more to force her back a bit than to actually engage. She was not worth any extra attention, and William was busy with the actual threat at the scene. The man charged, and it took William's full attention and most of his power to keep him away from him and his blade.

In a way, the bob and weave of the duel (the girl was present, yes, but was ineffectual enough to not really count) reminded William of his hours upon hours of sword practice. Advantage shifted in turn, and when it was his once more, this whole thing would finally end.

Defense against Bullet Time
Blademaster [d10] + Tchernobog [d8] Parry=16

Defense against Carnage
Blademaster [d10] + Tchernobog [d8] Parry=10 Welp. Using both my EP this turn on Unbreakable, thus reducing damage to 0.

Attack against Bullet Time
Blademaster [d10] + Tchernobog [d8]=9 Wow, the dice are not with me today.

For Defense, rolling Blademaster+Tchernobog with a +4 (Knack and Style) against both, getting 16 against Bullet Time and 10 against Carnage (Using both my EP this round on Unbreakable to deal with that). Attacking bullet time with the same roll, getting a measly 9.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 22, 2016

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Satisfied that Back Alley had him well in hand, 'the bouncer' ran back out the door with a flash of obvious Hanuman speed. Moments later, 'Kelly' walked back in, fixing her hair as though it had been blown back by a passing breeze.

Stranger had no idea whether the slimy little fellow thought they had a third person on the op, and she didn't care. It didn't hurt to pretend. The more unbalanced he was, the better.

She took in the scene, how he barely struggled. She favoured him with a pouty smile, tapping her finger to her lips.

He was awful smug in the face of an apparent checkmate. Hmm. Time to flip the script.

"You think we're with the UGN!? Oh, 'Mr. Watson', if only you had played along. You've never been with someone like me, darling. But, no, you had to go and get cute. More's the pity! Now, listen - we want to make this nice and simple. Our employers only wish to speak to you - the Kamishiro Group could use someone like you in our fold. But, since we can't very well have you escaping either..."

Slowly, methodically, Kelly slid her dress off her shoulders, tantalizingly lower... and then her flesh began to stretch, tearing in symmetrical segments along her body. She split down the centre, spreading open wide like some strange undersea creature, the exposed flesh oddly smooth and plastinate. Before her head vanished completely into the waxy mass of tendrils, she spoke, voice distorted by corruption:

"This probably isn't exactly how you expected this to go, is it?"

Then she struck, sewing him up like a bodybag.

(I do not trust this guy, but I'm also not going to let him control the situation. We're going to try to evac him as peacefully as possible. Rolling (d6) Unnerving + Corruption Bonus + Excellence + Knack = 14 to freak him out and Seize Control of him. Tossing in a Dark Bargain for another Excellence, bringing it to 16. It is my intent to hold him in place so that Back Alley can haul us out of here like a sleeping bag.

ALSO, yes, by all means bring on the new rules. Being as we're testing a system for you, it makes sense for us to use your most up-to-date instance. I'd prefer to see them first, ideally - I don't mind my character being broken, but mid-combat might be a little... problematic!)

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 20, 2016

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Don't worry, one way or the other I'll be waiting until this "session" ends so everyone's current Clashes are going to be resolved first. Don't have much time right now so just resolving Stricken/Blood Bath's scene.

Carrier Group 5

Stricken
This'll be nasty...That's 3 Damage from the initial counterattack and I won't place bets on him getting out unscathed from that attack, he got a 9 which would be 3 more Damage. He's going to be Powering Up to keep going...nearly 30 points of Corruption, drat. Fortunately Yuri can take it. At Monstrous level he'll double his roll to try and resist the Affliction 12 doubled to 24 vs 7 so he avoids the damage.

The Russian Overed doesn't have time to react to your counterattack...one moment he fires the super-sonic slug at you and less than a microsecond later he's standing there with a hole in his torso and another hole in the deck behind him. He looks down stoically at the wound leaking copious amounts of blood but his attention is quickly drawn sky-ward by your lightshow.

This time he has just enough time to see your attack coming but not enough to try and seek cover or flee. The exploding jets scour the top of the aircraft carrier in flames and shrapnel, quickly engulfing the area in chaos which you catch up with a gravity funnel, pouring oxygen and fuel into the fires, turning it into a column of roaring flames.

However, the fight clearly isn't over yet. There's a terrible screeching that can be heard even over the roar of the flames and your column of fire is briefly swept away revealing something that no longer looks human. Yuri has transformed into a nearly 10 foot tall hulk of muscle, scale and barbed blades. With one hand he grips the surface of the aircraft carrier and simply peels away a massive sheet of steel plate and hurls it towards you.

Spending an EP on Mighty, Yuri's attack is 9, doubled to 18 unless you Power Up to match him. Might will add 2 (doubled to 4) if the roll succeeds. If the attack succeeds he'll Seize Control, sending you flying into the middle of a battleship, mainly meant to get you out of the sky and tangled up a bit until you free yourself.

Blood Bath

There are a lot of sailors in the water and your oxygenated blood infusions help to ensure that they're largely not drowning. Although most seem to have had the wherewithal to flee to lifeboats they're clearly still suffering from whatever drug is in their system. These guys are going to have a hell of a hangover if the taste of their blood is anything to go by.

With some work you manage to use your tendrils of semi-coagulated blood to herd them towards lifeboats or just away from the white-hot-chaos going on above you.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Stricken
Corruption: 69
Condition: (5/5 – Inhuman -> 4/5 Inhuman -> 5/5 Monstrous)

Seeing as I was still paying upkeep for Orbital Reflection, the monstrously thrown projectile gets caught up in my gravity inverting field and...

[d8] Orbital Defence (part one): 2d8o8k1 = 5 + [d6] Orbital Defence (part two): 1d6o6k1 = 5
+3 = 13 to counter attack, which fails. 13 vs (18+4=22) means he beats my roll by 9, inflicting an additional point of damage which is negated by his Seize Control meaning he manages to cause a single point of injury to Stricken.

Her smug confidence is instantly erased when a literal tonne of metal hits her in the face before her annihilation field can even so much as scratch the paint.
The sound of the impact is colossal and no less so when the bundle of girl and hull-plate strikes into the partially sunken battleship behind them like a meteor come dinosaur doomsday.

If her LifeLine Sensor had been active, it would have helpfully counted and pointed out casualties, sending data on their current location to UGN forces. All to help the inevitable Mop-Up crew prepare for an exciting session of dealing with the aftermath of another typical mission. Yet it was not to be, in fact anyone stationed to monitor her vitals and other mission parameters was probably hovering over some red alert alarm or another, pondering whether to give her the benefit of a doubt or if they should glaze the area with whatever means available in a futile attempt to prevent a worst case scenario.

Out of the explosions and smoke she floated, mad glare in her eyes, the visor of her heads-up-display broken and a small trickle of blood dripping out of the corner of her lips. Then, she broke into an unsettling grin and twisted the space around her with a gesture from her hand, siphoning chunks of burning, sinking battleship into a gravity well pointed directly at Yuri. When she finally released her grip, her make-shift junk-cannon would propel the pieces at great speeds, hopefully obliterating her target. Or at least what he was standing on.

---

Powering up! Monstrous Corruption: 4d10 = 29 + 69 = 98% Which grants me another point of energy for a total of five for this turn. One is spent paying upkeep for Orbital Reflection, one is spent for Syndrome Boosting/Projecting my Attack, one is spent for Unstoppable to get out of the Battleship in the first place and finally the last point is spent on Might. [d8] Gravity Cannon: 2d8o8k1 7 + [d4] Battleship Parts For Bullets: 1d4o4k1 2 + [1d6] Might: 1d6o6k1 1 +3 = 12/13 if it hits.

As for the affliction, unless he does some rapid ship-maintenance he is going to be experiencing the fact that [d8] The Boat You Are Standing On is Sinking / Also Exploding – sure to ruin anyone's day!

I'm also game for the new rules! That's what we are here for, after all!
Also, 98% corruption, ouch! That was close!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Give us the new rule!

Blood Bath
Bohn don't need to pop out of the water to know the next set of casualties plunging into the sea with all these loud explosion. He had swear to the Hippocratic Oath (loise) to save people lives! And his excellent ethic of Nuremberg Code (loise) will not allow such him to prioritize other action! There are lives tgat need saving and Bohn is going to save as much as he could with thus rescue ops and stay the heck out of whatever is going on up there.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 23, 2016

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Yeah, I'll stay powered up.

[Back Alley] - ER:40% (Condition: 5/5, Inhuman)

Corruption: 1d10 = 2%

Stranger was trying to feed the Fundraiser some bullshit; Back Alley figured he might as well go along with it."Who said you could talk, rear end in a top hat?", Back Alley snarled, temporarily tightening his grip on Fundraiser's neck. "The boss has had his eye on you for a while now, and you had to go and try to drug and rob his guests.", Back Alley tsked, "Very rude. So now he wants us to do this the hard way."

As Stranger attempted to engulf the Fundraiser, Back Alley took the opportunity to give the sleazy bastard an Ocular Patdown. He swept his enhanced vision over Fundraiser, looking through his clothes, looking through his skin. Back Alley didn't want to risk the chance he had some kind of subdermal tracking device or a weapon.

Spending 1EP on a Syndrome Boost so I can xray frisk this guy. [d10]Angel Halo = 4.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Still....going...forward....

The last few weeks have been a nightmare, struggling with insurance company over a surgery approval, the 4th of july, lots of work and...most recently...jury duty! And every time I think I'll be able to sit down and compose at least a few paragraphs something comes along and figuratively slaps the dice from my hands. Again, very, very sorry about all of this. Unfortunately I'm not available right this minute to complete a post but I should be able to get something up in the next 24 hours.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

poo poo, man, that's rough. I'll still be here, though!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Still good, distracted by school, work, and my own CYOA stuff anyhow! Good luck!

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

A Nice Hotel Bathroom
So, the Fundraiser has taken two points of Stress and is being grappled by Back Alley.

Stranger
He's going to roll his Willpower [d6]=16. The dice seem to be on my side. Added Excellence in there (the round he "wasted" talking he spent Charging Up). This also allows him to break free of Back Alley.

The portly man sneers as your tendrils reach out and start to enfold him. "Kamishiro eh? If so you should have stuck to pleasantries..." As your flesh wraps around him the waxy layer on the surface of your skin starts to ablate and bubble and you're hit with a horrific sensation...like your skin is trying to vomit itself. "...and shown greater caution. I fear you may be underestimating me."

You quickly regain your equilibrium, purging the foreign chemicals and thickening your epidermal layer but the involuntary reaction has somewhat spoiled your attempt at intimidation. The fluid also seems to serve as some kind of acidic lubricant...with a burst of sudden movement the little Overed tears free of Back Alley's grasp as well, leaving the soggy, dissolving remains of his shirt and suit jacket in his hands, which Back Alley manages to toss aside before he is overcome by the fluid as well.

His upper body slick with a layer of hostile chemistry the Fundraiser turns to face both of you. "Now, if your boss would like to send me a polite invitation perhaps we can arrange a meeting, but I assure you that simply because I chose to leave False Hearts doesn't make me ripe for plucking. "

right now the Fundraiser kind of looks like Danny Devito emerging from the couch in Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Fortunately he still has pants

Back Alley
Without the shirt that Ocular Patdown just got easier. The Fundraiser has nothing to resist so just a d4=6. Since you're Inhuman you get to double the 4 to an 8.

You're about the refocus your eyes back to the normal spectrum as the man pulls free of most of his clothes, rendering hidden weapons or devices largely moot. But before you do your eye catches something weird....

it looks like a smartphone. Nothing particularly unusual or special, just a high-end smartphone. Probably expensive and flashy but not otherwise notable...except that it appears to be embedded in the Fundraiser's lower back, nestled against his kidney. Flicking your eyes higher you seem that his bones look...odd. Much thicker and denser than you'd normally see, making them nearly opaque to your vision and nestled along the forearms are what looks like a pair of bone "spurs", jointed so they could, with a flex, extend through the skin.

The Fundraiser
Our friend is using a chemical attack taking the penalty to attack both of you at once. This is an invisible chemical fog he emits so keep in mind which traits would be applicable against it. Pheremone Manipulation [d10]=1, using Flawless to reroll....d10=...wow. The high roll is the highest I've ever rolled in this game...a 48!!! That'd almost certainly take down any one of you, even counting Back Alley's Inhuman level...but since I'm multi-attacking that makes it a mere 7.

The Fundraiser straightens himself and takes in the situation with a level, confident gaze. "Now, I'm sure we can some common ground here. I'm sure your employer would much rather arrange a mutually profitable and pleasant meeting rather than turning their nice party into a battle between us. I assure you that while I may not seem particularly intimidating I am quite capable of making things difficult for the both of you and after the mess with my former compatriots I have no interest in being tied down against my will."

As he speaks you both notice he seems to be speaking more slowly and deliberately, his tone taking on a droning quality and you can feel a slight light-headedness. There is no obvious odor or caustic burn but you're sure he must be using some kind of chemical to try and weaken your willpower...

A Suspicious Factory

Wraithblade
You're actually out of EP for this round (one was invested in your Slash Through Time, which won't 'refill' until the start of your turn, and you spent one on Flawless for that same attack), since you used those on your last action your pool won't refill until the start of your turn (meaning no EP to use against the other two's attacks). You could use Dark Bargain for extra EP to make it happen. Since this is going to determine if you get disarmed by Carnage I'll leave this hanging until you decide. Swear I'll manage to at least respond to your decision within a day so you won't be waiting weeks for a followup.

The Remnants of Carrier Group 5

Stricken
Let's see if he can take that hit, Wall of Russian Muscle [d8]=10. He'll spend an EP on Unbreakable to soak up the point of Injury.

As the chunk of steel swats you out of the sky the Russian strides to the edge of the ship (still burning) to watch as you smash into the battleship. This gives him a great view as the ship shreds itself around you and forms into pellets of compressed steel the size of SUVs. Clearly seeing what's about to come the man-turned-monster braces himself and huge spurs sprout from his legs an foot, imbedding themselves into the deck of the ship. At the same time arcs of electricity crackle around him and chunks of hull-metal rip themselves off and float in the air in front of him.

Your massive "bullets" of flaming, twisted metal slam into his shields, tearing their way through layer after layer of magnetically levitating steel, before finally punching through. The final huge pellet streaks towards Yuri and he raises one arm which expands into a hideously enlarged and muscular limb.

White-hot metal squeezes through Yuri's clawed fingers and the force drives him backwards halfway across the deck of the ship, tearing even more of the surface apart and adding even more fuel to the raging fires around him.

Blood Bath

With the chaos intensifying overhead it's becoming harder and harder to keep soldiers safe as you attempt to buffer them from shockwaves and using bloody tendrils to toss them into the minimal safety of the nearest lifeboats. When Stricken hits one of the battleships it doesn't take long to realize that there isn't any chance of saving the soldiers still onboard and you quickly move along to snatch what souls you can save from the ocean and maybe start snatching the (still drugged) sailors from the remaining battleships before Stricken turns the vessels into more ammo.

Yuri

He's just going to let the fire rage on, Hulking Wall of Russian Muscle [d8]=8 vs the Flames [d8]=2, no damage. He is going to use Projection to strike back, Chimera [d8]=9

As Yuri extricates himself from the burning metal of the carrier's deck he still has a lump of compressed metal crushed in his claw. He ignores the flames licking at his scaled skin and reaches back his arm which unfolds at unnatural angles and his muscles tighten before snapping forward with a sonic boom, launching the pellet of metal back at Stricken with shocking force.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 18, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Wraithblade/William Jones - ER: 46% (Condition: 5/5, Inhuman)

As William parried the blows and had to focus his mental faculties on keeping his bearings, he could feel the iron grip he usually had on his... condition loosen ever so slightly.

No matter.

He had had worse.

Dark Bargain x2 [2d10] = 7

Rolled 2d10 for Dark Bargain to pay for my stuff, accruing 7 Corruption. Might as well, since the sort of statistical anomalies where I have to spend a whole lot of EP on powers just to not get hurt in this fight should not happen too often. Also, sorry for getting confused about the costs. For some reason I thought the turn had already ended and that we were on a new one, even though in one of your posts you clearly stated the turn order :v:

Theantero fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 18, 2016

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Stricken
Corruption: 98
Condition: (5/5 Monstrous)

[d8] Orbital Defence (part one): 2d8o8k1 3+ [d6] Orbital Defence (part two): 1d6o6k1 4 +3 = 10
Orbital Reflection is still under effect, and since i beat his roll that means i counter-attack for 10!

Stricken rasied her hand in front of her, and the supersonic projectile caved in on itself from the forces pushing down into it from every direction. For a moment it looked like entropy was going to win out, and that the slug would disintigrate from the strain, but then she released her grip once more and it returned to hit Yuri at twice the speed it had been going before.

"Stop this foolishness! I've had enough of you, your boat, your gross muscles, everything! Die!!"

[d10] Annihilation Field: 2d10o10k1 3
[d10] Annihilation Field (Flawless reroll): 2d10o10k1 5
[d10] Annihilation Field (Flawless reroll #2): 2d10o10k1 6
[d10] Annihilation Field (Flawless reroll #3): 2d10o10k1 5

[d10] Annihilation Field (Flawless reroll #4): 2d10o10k1 = 9 + [d6] Field Manipulation Device (external): 1d6o6k1 = 2 + 3 = 14

Releasing yet more of her will to the Virus, as well as the few remaining safety measures that where hard-wired into her body, Stricken extends her aura to cover what little remains of the ground beneath the Russians feet. The bulk of her negative energy ray however, is centred squarely on his heart. Stricken is pretty sure muscles need circulating blood to function (though she would have to confirm with Dr. Bohn later, if she could work up the nerve to talk to him), and figures going straight to the source will solve this little problem once and for all.

Well I really want to hurt this guy so I spent four out of five energy points on flawless rerolls! My last one goes into Upkeep for the Orbital Reflection as usual. Bonuses are +1 from corruption, +2 from style. If my attack succeeds I'll Seize Control by puncturing his heart. At monstrous this shouldn't kill him, but will certainly inconvenience his hulking rage!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Blood Bath
Bohn knew he can't save everyone and the best way is to take down the Russian guy before he Striken causes more casualties. Yet, he can't stop himself from saving what is in front of his bloodshot eyes, so as a compromise, he will spend a tiny amount of power to distract the Russian guy. And we all know what can distract a hardcore Russian battle veteran hardened for many years in the cold souless field of the motherland, even just for a millisecond of distraction, no Russian can resist this blood crafted-

Team Up for Striken: 13

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Nyaa posted:

Team Up for Striken: 13

Recall, when making a Team Up you pick the lower value you roll. So, this is actually a 5 and not a 13

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Oh god, you're going to kill me for this but...

oriongates posted:

He's going to roll his Willpower [d6]=16. The dice seem to be on my side.

dog kisser posted:

We're going to try to evac him as peacefully as possible. Rolling (d6) Unnerving + Corruption Bonus + Excellence + Knack = 14 to freak him out and Seize Control of him. Tossing in a Dark Bargain for another Excellence, bringing it to 16.

...PCs win ties. Uh, please advise? I'm fine with just rolling with it, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention in case that mucks anything up!
edit: Also - I edited the post today, but you can check the timestamp on that Dark Bargain to confirm I didn't add that today! Not that you think I'm cheating but just covering my bases all the same!

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

hahah, I did miss that. I must have just glanced at the linked portion and missed that. Technically however, Excellence only works pre-roll. You'd have to declare it before the roll is made. Normally it wouldn't be that big a deal and I'd let it ride (after all, I missed it too) but since it wouldn't make a huge difference (he'd take no damage and would still be able to chemically attack you two while being grappled) how about we refund you the extra corruption and leave it as written, that cool?

Wraithblade
I'll assume you won't use any of the EP you'd regain on your turn to boost the attack against Bullet Time, leaving it free for defense.

Let's see if Bullet Time manages to evade your attack, spending an EP on Excellence Acrobatics [d8]=14. Looks like it.

The bullets curve in mid-air, attracted to your blade, and are sliced into powder in an instant. A casual back-swing slices through the smoke-stack supporting Bullet Time, forcing her to leap to safety. The girl lets out a high-pitched giggle and reaches her hand out and touching the metal floor, which raises up into a small machine-gun nest, complete with bucket seat which she flips into.

Before she even begins firing Carnage is in your face. Rather than dashing in and out of your reach like before he sticks in close, launching jabs which explode with miniature sonic-booms, taking advantage of his fully-automatic blows and the relative clumsiness of your long blade. For a split-second it seems like he has seized the upper hand before you forcefully force him back by expanding the space between the two of you.

However, this gap gives Bullet Time the opportunity to open fire (although, given her attitude, she'd likely have done it whether Carnage was clear or not). She walks the bullets along the ground towards you. For what it's worth it seems she decided to go for tracer rounds in this weapon, leaving glowing lines streaking through the air.

Bullet Time is going for Might again. Shooting [d10] +5 (forgot a knack in the orokos roll)=11. In the relatively unlikely event that you don't beat that her Might roll was a relatively measly 2.

As you're surrounded by a stream of bullets trailing burning magnesium Carnage apparently decides to break off from direct assault and instead adopts a deep horse stance an inhales deeply before opening his mouth to emit a silent shout. There is no audible sound but you can feel the ground, and your bones, quivering with the force of it. There is a wave of disorientation and nausea as vertigo hits you.

Using a Syndrome Boost to hit you with a disorienting sound-wave to try and bypass normal defenses Hanuman [d10]=18.

Just resolving Wraithblade right now, will make another post for everyone else soon.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 20, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Wraithblade/William Jones - ER: 46% (Condition: 5/5, Inhuman)

William danced and weaved , his Neumann mind calculating optimal strike patterns and stance switches to employ against his foe, the dull patter of the bullets impacting his blade and his surroundings giving off an almost hypnotic beat as he faced his enemy.

Defense against Bullet Time
Blademaster [d10] + Tchernobog [d8] Parry=23

The distortion caused by the incoming soundwaves tipped William to his opponent's strategy.

Clever.

But not quite clever enough.

Sound, after all, was known for its propensity to be dampened by physical barriers. Physical barriers which were easily available indoors. With a step, William relocated into a room directly to Carnage's left. Of course, the Hanuman had no particular trouble following his movements, and the cheaply built wall was not enough at all to stop the blows. However, they dampened them just enough for William to expand the remaining space so that the only thing that reached him was a stretched, low sonic boom just strong enough to billow his clothes dramatically, but incapable of causing him any actual harm.

Defense against Carnage
Aetherstep [d6] + Chewing the Scenery [d4] =11

William merely stared, his gaze as steely as ever, with Tchernobog raised diagonally across his face as his sleeves fluttered and pieces of cheap plasterboard flew and danced around him on the strange trajectories his spacetime defying presence seemed to generate.

Without further word, he stepped in for a counter-attack. However, if one was quick, they might have spied just the tiniest trace of a smile on his face, even if just for a moment. It was a rare pleasure for William to feel himself challenged, after all.

Attack against Carnage
Blademaster [d10] + Tchernobog [d8]=27

Shame it had to end so quickly.

For Defense, rolling Blademaster+Tchernobog with a +4 (Knack and Style) against Bullet Time, getting 23. Rolling Aetherstep and Chewing the Scenery to defend against Carnage with a +4 (Knack and Style), getting 11 and using both my EP this round on Unbreakable to lower the damage to 0. Using my own attack this round to attack Carnage, rolling Blademaster+Tchernobog with a +4 (Knack and Style) and getting a 27.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Stranger writhed and sloughed off the last of the caustic muck that was its skin, not bothering to take on a proper human form. It extruded hundreds of flat filaments and fanned the air wildly, attempting to blast away the intoxicating cloud with Hanuman speed. It thought it had caught most of the effects - but then it began to feel a little... compromised.

(Rolling [d8] Unnatural Speed + Corruption Bonus = 5 to blast away the gas unsuccesfully! I'll take the hit, no sense wasting EP on it)

It fell back against the wall, as much to escape the gas as from its own dizziness - but then it rose up again, angry and toothy. Painfully, it coiled back together, taking Kelly's form once again. Roughly. One corner of her face sagged impossibly under the effects of the insidious gas, but she managed a lopsided grin and a bow.

"We only wissshed to talk under less strained condishuns. But, you have forshd our handsh. I ashure you, I take no pleashure in this."

With lightning speed, one arm whipped out towards him, grabbing his slick body with a tendril covered in dry, horny pads. Roughly, she forced him to kneel and slammed his head into a toilet - before shoving his head inside and hoisting his feet off the ground.

"Need to get you cleaned up before your meeting, vile one!"

She flushed, for good measure.

(Well, screw you, guy! Rolling (d8) Unnatural Speed + Chewing the Scenery + Corruption Bonus + Excellence + Knack = 20 to knock some sense into him and Seize Control. We still want him alive, and we want this as low key as possible, but we also don't want him messing with us or escaping. Also, keep in mind the request a while back to Ex Machina to block communication from the room via my robo-moth. Don't want him pulling any 'phone-in-lower-back' tricks (which I pull off more stylishly, incidentally!))

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Back Alley smelled the pheromones coming, but was not able to keep himself from absorbing the Fundraiser's chemicals. Lucas felt a wave of panic, his tuxedo momentarily changing into a chaotic blur of color. No, no, no, this was the exact thing that got him into this mess in the first place! He took a deep breath and tried to mentally talk himself down.

Rolling [d6]Deescalation for defense and spending 1EP on excellence. Rolled an 11! Suck it Fundraiser!

He was still in control. A little hazy, but still in control. And most importantly, he felt like he hadn't violated his pledge. His tuxedo shifted to various soothing shades of blue, which gently swirled around. He opened his mouth to speak, "Aw dammit, Black Widow, we've got ourselves a talker. Listen here you little goblin, you're comin' with us whether you like it or not and after the poo poo you tried to pull, Mr. Kamishiro is practically paying by the bruise." Back Alley lazily watched as Stranger grabbed the Fundraiser and snapped his fingers. All the light around the Fundraiser's head was redirected elsewhere, leaving him blinded.

Using my other EP to create an Obstruction of [d10] strength.

He smirked as Stranger shoved the little man's head into a toilet, "Oh yeah, is there anything you wanna say to the chick you've got upstairs or do you think she'll be too roofied out to hear me?"

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Okay guys, I'm sorry but I'm afraid I'm going to have to admit defeat here. Combination of heavy workload and family health issues have already slowed my posting to a crawl but as of a couple of weeks ago my laptop has officially become unusable. This is cutting into my casual internet access and I'm afraid that I'm just not in a position to keep up the posting pace that a proper game deserves and I'm not sure when I'll be in a position to replace it.

So, I'm really sorry but I think I'm going to have to officially call this game off. I hope it was fun while it lasted and I want you to know that you all gave me a lot of material to think about and contributed hugely to the progress on my system. I'm still working on it, but if you're interested in seeing the progress so far here's the second draft of the Double Cross rules I was intending to introduce: Double Cross

Sorry again for the disappointing finish, hopefully once things settle down for me I'll be able to try another playtest of the system.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Hey, no problems, IRL stuff always takes precedence. Besides, this way I can just pretend that Wraithblade killed all enemies forever, which I think would probably have happened anyway :v:

But anyways, I for one had a lot of fun while it lasted. Here's hoping for another go later with the new rules!

Take care, and good luck with trying to get your stuff back in order.

EDIT: Aww my dude got a mention in the rulebook :3:

Theantero fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 14, 2016

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

The boat team got nuked by Stricken, rip. Bohn spend the rest of his days swimming with sharks. :coolfish:

PM me when the next game is up!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Thank you for running it as long as you did! I had great fun with the setting and also with the breaking of the system.
Good luck with all the stuff that you are going through, and do swing by the irc channel again if things stabilize and look us up! I'd be glad to play again if I have time!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Sad to see it go, but I had a really drat fun time. I may well want to run a campaign with this ruleset myself, some day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Thanks again!

Just on the off chance anyone's keeping an eye on the thread I posted a bit of rules pondering in the games design thread and I figured you guys might be in a good position to have an opinion, so if you'd like to take a look the question is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3581530&pagenumber=31#post463752617

• Locked thread