Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

From the font on the plate and the fact that it says "capacitor" instead of "condenser", I'd guess that is no more than 30 years old.

Okay, good to know. The Gits are just throwing me off. They are also pointed in totally the wrong direction to oil them when this motor is mounted.

PO wiring disaster:

Ground? Who needs a ground when you're running line voltage through a 70 year old metal switch mounted to a metal machine? Also, this wire isn't long enough, let's just tape some more on.

My current idea that I'm 3D jigsawing out is to run a single liquid tite line off the back of the switch straight over the back like this:

Then I'll terminate in a box mounted to the table behind the motor pedestal which will have another liquid tite line to the motor and a supply cord to the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Now I'm curious about the exact date of that motor, though, so I started thinking about the other marks. I thought the CSA marking would be a good way to put a baseline date on it of whenever that mark was introduced. The year? 1946 :v:

Dayton Electric was purchased by Grainger in 1966 so you could maybe give them a call and see if they have records of that model number.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 26, 2016

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

The year? 1946 :v:

It would be entirely ridiculous as well as potentially throw off my 3 phase+VFD plans if this is/could be the original motor. I'll keep digging around, but for now I'm gonna run with it......and throw some lube in there while it's unmounted and able to be put in the correct orientation.

Still fighting with liquid tite. I'm kinda over this for the day considering I also have another homeownership.jpg problem to take care of.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wiring is happening. I stared by stuffing the entire rainbow into the liquid tite going to the box:

And then onto the motor, which was previously wired for forward only. To get reverse you have to switch out the blue with the yellow and white on a the two pins. So I decided to go with wiring those back up to the switch on the lathe (through the box). Here's the blue from the motor wester union spliced, then soldered, then heat shrunk (sorry for potato...focus you FAWK):

and the final product before putting the cover back on.

Edit: Note that I'm actually GROUNDING THINGS unlike the previous wiring "job".

Out of time for today. Getting the box and liquid tite just right took a lot longer than I expected. Plus sitting around scratching my head about how I wanted to wire it.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Can't wait to see this thing spinning and making chips

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've got the Furnas rotaty switched wired up. This was a bit of an odd one for me, because you just don't run into things like this anymore. It's entirely to cheap and easy to do this with electronics now, and making a switch like this has to be really drat expensive.

In any case, I have one lead on the motor that needs hot all the time. Then there are two other leads - the blue one needs hot also while yellow needs neutral for forward, and you flip those two if you want reverse. I think I did this right:

It at least looks decent:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've got a present for your lathe. Send me your address via PM/IRC.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

I've got a present for your lathe. Send me your address via PM/IRC.

Will do, thanks!

Cross connects in the box done:

I'm happy with the cable routing:

Safety squints engaged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw3OOAWa25A

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhImXfb9VT8

All lubed up and running. Now I need to figure out what I can make of the few change gears I have and get the 3 and 4 jaw chucks cleaned up.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Be careful with reverse, you can spin the chuck right off.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Be careful with reverse, you can spin the chuck right off.

I kinda forgot about that. Good thing it's the light one. Would have sucked.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
That's a mistake you hopefully only make once. Just like turning on a drill press with the chuck key in it... I've never done it, but I've seen the damage that occurs when someone does. My shop teacher whipped the key out into the grassy field behind the school and the kid who hosed up had to show up to class, and once attendance was taken, go into the field and look for it. It took him about a week... and then he was allowed back into the shop.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chuck keys being conductive, it'd be cool to wire up a little relay and chuck key holder that interrupted power to the drill whenever the chuck key wasn't "plugged in."

Combined with attaching the chuck key to the drill by a retractable leash, you'd have yourself a nifty little safety system.

Of course, inevitably someone would defeat this by jamming something into the chuck key holder, right after they cut the cord and wandered off with the chuck key to use it on something else.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I've left a chuck key in a lathe twice. Most of the stuff I've ever run was at pretty low RPM, though, luckily. Still flew quite a ways.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Chuck keys being conductive, it'd be cool to wire up a little relay and chuck key holder that interrupted power to the drill whenever the chuck key wasn't "plugged in."

Combined with attaching the chuck key to the drill by a retractable leash, you'd have yourself a nifty little safety system.

Of course, inevitably someone would defeat this by jamming something into the chuck key holder, right after they cut the cord and wandered off with the chuck key to use it on something else.

Of course both chucks I have take different sized keys. .....it could be a double interlock system..........

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It doesn't keep you from doing stupid things like leaving chuck keys in, but I like to put a supermagnet on the housing or bench for the tool and stick the chuck key to it. Keeps them from wandering off.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I saw someone get nailed in the nuts by a lathe chuck key.

Yes, I laughed. He was fairly okay. Mostly hurt pride.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

kastein posted:

It doesn't keep you from doing stupid things like leaving chuck keys in, but I like to put a supermagnet on the housing or bench for the tool and stick the chuck key to it. Keeps them from wandering off.

Same. Am always super annoyed with myself when I set it down somewhere that isn't the magnet. It is pretty much muscle memory now though.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
A walking future darwin award that used to work in the same shop I did left the chuck key in one of the medium sized lathes (~14" 8hp lathe)

It was set around 800rpm or so and somehow didn't fly out right away.

When it spun around it hooked over a 1" dia 4140 bar and bent it when it got pinned against the bed :stare:

somehow he never managed to get hurt in the shop. Although he did ruin one of his jackets from not listening.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sharky is awesome. I got a box today:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Did you put a knockout seal in that open knockout? Some critter may get a shocking surprise one day otherwise.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Did you put a knockout seal in that open knockout? Some critter may get a shocking surprise one day otherwise.

I did not yet because I don't have one. It's on my list of things to get back into stock in the barn (I've also run through a lot of fasteners and ran out of a few sizes when bolting this thing down).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PVC test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NKspY1ncRo

I really need to get a new brass nut for the compound. It's really, really, really sloppy.

But this at least tells me it's time to start ordering some stock.

Edit: Oh yeah.....I cleaned the 3 jaw and put it back together. It's been in pieces for a while and I intended to put it in the electrolysis bucket but some brakleen and fresh grease is going to have to be good enough for now. The 4 jaw hasn't been taken apart but feels okay. I'm sure it needs to be cleaned as well but it works for now.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Just read through this, will be keeping up from now on.

I know jack poo poo about machine work, so talk slowly and use small words. :P Your finish work on the machine is very nice though.

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.

Leperflesh posted:

My dad got tired of losing his chuck key, so he added a little switch box to his drill press that requires you to stick the handle of the key into a small hole. The handle closes a switch inside that allows power to the drill press, so you can't turn it on unless the key is in there. Keeps you from turning it on with the key still in the chuck.

Doesn't really stop you from shoving a little screwdriver or something in that hole to activate the switch, but he hasn't lost a key in like 20 years.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Nice lathe, I remember the day in my lathe training course when one of the dumb kids started his lathe in reverse with the chuck key in after smoking a joint during lunch break.
The guy on the lathe in front of him was only saved from being spiked in the head by the big lexan sheet that had been bolted onto the back of the lathe.

sharkytm posted:

Send me your address via PM/IRC.

is there a metalworking/diy irc chan?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

echomadman posted:

is there a metalworking/diy irc chan?

No......not really. It's more of a great salted north east automotive insanity thing.

We'd have to doxx you to see if you qualify.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Are you going to put a beefier motor on it?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Parts Kit posted:

There's no need. This is a light lathe, and you don't want a ton of power.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Parts Kit posted:

If anything I'll figure out if a 3 phase and VFD makes sense (possibly with more HP to make up for low speed losses).

This thing is tiny, and you can't really turn more than 1100 RPMs with the plain bearings in it, so yeah....it's all pretty limited to small work.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Motronic posted:

No......not really. It's more of a great salted north east automotive insanity thing.

We'd have to doxx you to see if you qualify.

That channel is lousy with a bunch of Western Canadians though. They're like cockroaches, they get into everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's disgusting. Next thing we know they're going to want jobs and four actual seasons or something.

• Locked thread