Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Then you should probably hate the richer people than middle class. If/when you start making more money yourself you're gonna realize that having enough money to buy the newest xbox doesn't actually put you in a position where you feel comfortable with your income. The reality is that having a higher income affords you the opportunity to look more longterm in how you handle your finances responsibly and opens a whole new world of money you hadn't realized you didn't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

H.H posted:

haha you honestly think you're genuinely poor, isn't that precious.

"I have enough to keep myself fed and the bills paid" means the only place you're poor is in your own mind.

Yes, not being able to do anything joyess is an awesome way to live!
Working a min-wage job, that you hate, just to "stay alive" is p.soul crushing. However, I guess it would have some romance every now and again lol, not secks, if I even have to clarify that amongst goons

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I uaed to be a manager in a big company maybe girls like that better than a drunk chicken farmer

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Lots of socially retarded people i work with have 1200 dollar phones and are very passionate about the brand and type

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

The Biscuit posted:

Yes, not being able to do anything joyess is an awesome way to live!
Working a min-wage job, that you hate, just to "stay alive" is p.soul crushing. However, I guess it would have some romance every now and again lol, not secks, if I even have to clarify that amongst goons

maybe, but that leaves you plenty of time to kiss my whole rear end in a top hat.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Are trades badly paid in america? If you get a ticket for a forklift or a medium rigid truck or whatever you can make shitloads. If you are a proper tradesman you can make more than a white collar person by kilometres (miles)

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
My friends dad lives in cambodia cause hes sick of ciggie tax and occasionally comes back to oz to work as a driver for 6mo and can go back to cambodia and live like a prince

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
A boilermaker who owns a shop could probably get paid more than the prime minister

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Isaac posted:

Are trades badly paid in america? If you get a ticket for a forklift or a medium rigid truck or whatever you can make shitloads. If you are a proper tradesman you can make more than a white collar person by kilometres (miles)

The thought of Tastee in charge of forklift or power tools is frightening.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I was the forklift guy at work and got to do days of it and they realised i wasnt on the authorised users so they added me. Ive never been trained and i usually am sp hosed up i dont know what day it is.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

H.H posted:

maybe, but that leaves you plenty of time to kiss my whole rear end in a top hat.

No one has that much time on their hands.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

H.H posted:

nice

The Biscuit posted:

No one has that much time on their hands.
dang

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Isaac posted:

they're very well paid, mr poop works in oil and has a bunch of certifications for various things and even with the cheap oil now they still get paid retardedly well and can afford things the op hates like vacations and swimming pools and if its not raining again tomorow im going to take a dip in the pool and think of the op and pee in it

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yoi could get a ticket in car paint spraying and make 60k here

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

ive played GTA those spray guys are worth every cent

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Isaac posted:

Yoi could get a ticket in car paint spraying and make 60k here
With options like these it's a wonder how poor people exist in the first place

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Isaac posted:

I have a relative who is a senior level electrician guy and makes more than I do as a network engineer.

Isaac posted:

I was the forklift guy at work and got to do days of it and they realised i wasnt on the authorised users so they added me. Ive never been trained and i usually am sp hosed up i dont know what day it is.

Sound qualified to operate a forklift to me.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
It's not uncommon to feel that way, especially in your position. Remember you can cultivate riches of spirit by living virtuously.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
In the last 24 hours, how much time have you spent on games?

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
is the OP the guy who had a mental breakdown and planned to assassinate Seth McFarlane + tried to kill himself but gave up when a train didn't show up on the time he thought it would because he mistakenly thought it was a weekday when it was a holiday or a Sunday or something? because i think it is, but there are so many criminally insane idiot retards on this website that it is hard to keep track

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I feel you op, over the last week and a half I've been trying to reorganize my life to better manage my low income, except unlike you my first step was to push back upgrading my computer so I could play video games and focus on making a bit more money and cutting expenses like beer, junk food, and frivolous eBay purchases :shrug:

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i took a few hundo out of my account and it was lower than i remember it being then i remembered that i havent deposited the past 3 weeks worth of work checks

Ante Christ
May 8, 2007

Mr Tastee posted:

Not here for advice RN, I just want to vent a bit.

I live below the poverty line, and while I have enough to keep myself fed and the bills paid, it's still a pretty tight budget. I got lucky last year with my income tax and was able to get together enough to build a PC that can run most games, however I still live in a section-8 studio apartment and my phone is a garbage pile with such a small hard drive that I can't even update my 2 apps because they would take up too much space.

So, because I am a nerd and hang out with other nerds, this means a I spend a fair amount of time with people who have more money than I do. Sometimes they talk about travelling, and their financial situations, and whatever nice new thing they bought. And it just makes me feel so jealous. And I feel embarrassed to reveal details about my own financial situation since I'm living in squalor compared to them. Hell, I am straight up living in squalor, my apartment's such a mess.

I also experience this when I'm listening to podcasts, since basically every podcast is made by middle-class white people, whether it be when they talk about the nice things they have, discuss their boring lives, ask for donations I can't afford to make, or advertise interesting products I can't afford to buy.

Hell, I have $36 in my bank account right now, and that's just because I was able to get food stamps.

Speaking of which, it's frustrating how the government is taking away the right to food stamps from the unemployed in 22 states. I'm lucky not to be in one of those states, but the idea that anywhere from 500,000 to 1,000,000 people are going to starve to death because of those in power deciding they'd rather build even more ways to murder people instead.

tl;dr I hate the bourgeois and capitalism.

Maybe if you hustled as hard as you hate, and pulled yourself up by your boot straps you can get out of the ghetto. Are you white? Because white people literally have everything going for them and can only blame themselves for being poor.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Op, God gave you TWO kidneys, TWO lungs, and liver that regenerates. That's a few grand right there on the black market to get some capital and follow your dreams.

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien

Ante Christ posted:

Maybe if you hustled as hard as you hate, and pulled yourself up by your boot straps you can get out of the ghetto. Are you white? Because white people literally have everything going for them and can only blame themselves for being poor.

Lol gud one

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

amityville anus posted:

i took a few hundo out of my account and it was lower than i remember it being then i remembered that i havent deposited the past 3 weeks worth of work checks

wow, you still manually deposit your checks? whats it like back in the 20th century?

I sympathize with op though. There is that one white 20 something that complains about how poor they are and how moneys tight but they mysteriously have all the latest games and gadgets.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I too envy the middle class. What with mortgage payment half the size of one of my car payments. They get time to appreciate the doo-dads they spend their disposable income on, instead of spending so much time ordering things on Amazon that you don't have the free time to open half the things that have been already been delivered.

Leisure is truly the work of the spending class.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I look at poor kids living in piles of trash India and they are all like, "Pssss, at least I am not using an old cell phone like like that one fucker in America."

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Man Whore posted:

wow, you still manually deposit your checks? whats it like back in the 20th century?

I was loving with the copier and the checks are printed in house. I hand record my hours too. I get to say the n-word around my co-workers with impunity.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

whoflungpoop posted:

If you dont want to cut back on ur substances you can still get a girlfriend but she is likely to drink up all your stuff black your eye and then poop in ur bed

how do you know my ex?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
OP, i suggest you become a buddhist.

that way you will realize that all suffering is rooted in material attachments, so really your better off than the middle class

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

You can't say much about someone for having an expensive phone when you built a gaming computer, OP. Even if the price is significantly different, it's still luxury technology while people in other parts of the world are eating dirt.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dog buttz posted:

You can't say much about someone for having an expensive phone when you built a gaming computer, OP. Even if the price is significantly different, it's still luxury technology while people in other parts of the world are eating dirt.

he doesn't live in other parts of the world. if he lived around lots of people that ate dirt then it wouldn't be so bad, he could come home at the end of the day and chill with his buddies over some stories of good dirt eating.

being poor in america sucks because of the sense of exclusion. you see all sorts of things around you that you are not allowed to participate in. it's not about the lack of material objects, its the sense of exclusion and separation from society and the people around you that is so discouraging.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

Mr Tastee posted:

Not here for advice RN, I just want to vent a bit.

I live below the poverty line, and while I have enough to keep myself fed and the bills paid, it's still a pretty tight budget. I got lucky last year with my income tax and was able to get together enough to build a PC that can run most games, however I still live in a section-8 studio apartment and my phone is a garbage pile with such a small hard drive that I can't even update my 2 apps because they would take up too much space.

So, because I am a nerd and hang out with other nerds, this means a I spend a fair amount of time with people who have more money than I do. Sometimes they talk about travelling, and their financial situations, and whatever nice new thing they bought. And it just makes me feel so jealous. And I feel embarrassed to reveal details about my own financial situation since I'm living in squalor compared to them. Hell, I am straight up living in squalor, my apartment's such a mess.

I also experience this when I'm listening to podcasts, since basically every podcast is made by middle-class white people, whether it be when they talk about the nice things they have, discuss their boring lives, ask for donations I can't afford to make, or advertise interesting products I can't afford to buy.

Hell, I have $36 in my bank account right now, and that's just because I was able to get food stamps.

Speaking of which, it's frustrating how the government is taking away the right to food stamps from the unemployed in 22 states. I'm lucky not to be in one of those states, but the idea that anywhere from 500,000 to 1,000,000 people are going to starve to death because of those in power deciding they'd rather build even more ways to murder people instead.

tl;dr I hate the bourgeois and capitalism.

It's not so bad, buddy. You sound quite young, and I had a similar attitude back in the day. Age and experience helps, though. This is my advice:

Meditate every day for at least a few minutes and experience the perfection of every moment. Use moments to abandon thoughts of the past (those are regrets) and worries of the future (those are anxieties). Use your time to honor yourself--both your mind and body. Are you living your life in a way that benefits you? Most of us need to constantly make corrective changes.

Your goal should be success gained through a lifetime of consistent effort and right-thinking. I also have found that when I work sincerely to help others succeed, things go quite well.

Best wishes,
Vitalis

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Isaac posted:

A girl was pretty keen on my lately but i chilled at her house with a bunch of people and i think nopnr had more than 2 drinks while i polished off like 18 beers and smoked weed. Some girls dont like wasters maybe.

no, some girls really don't. :(

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
A thread like this is better than watching monkeys masturbate at the zoo. Voted 5.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
OP may I suggest investing in a security guard uniform when you next have money? Then you dress up like a security guard and go to stores and fill up your shopping cart with valuables, then you leave without paying! I would recommend stealing sporting goods such as fishing rods. If you don't know anyone you can sell them to you can probably go to a walmart and claim you bought them there and return them for $$$. If they try to give you store credit just complain and talk to a manager and then complain until they agree to give you cash. Hope this helps OP!

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Why don't you just join the army and get paid for college? Since you live in the uncivilized shithole that is the USA and that's the only way poors get ahead in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Well, I guess I should be glad some of you guys were understanding. I mean, I guess being insulted is what I get for posting a sleep-deprived rant on what is in every sense of the word the wrong subforum. Gonna close the thread since this isn't actually E/N and I can do that.

• Locked thread