Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghfEYjaMWM4

Screenshots

quote:

Balrum is an old-school, hybrid turn-based, open world indie RPG with deep tactical combat. Explore a huge living fantasy world with dozens of side quests next to an epic main quest. In addition to traditional RPG features Balrum has deep crafting which allows the player to craft their own custom items. Balrum also features farming your own crops, building your home, and survival mechanics complemented by the game's main features. In Balrum you will have a faithful animal companion as your pet. Your pet is fully controllable and adds greatly to the complexity of the combat.

The player takes control of a young man whose peaceful life is suddenly interrupted by events which will change his life forever.

Features
Real-Time world with Turn-Based Combat
A huge Open World with dozens of Dungeons to explore
Spend your learning points to create a pure class or a hybrid class
Dozens of Side Quests and an Epic Main Quest
Three separate paths leading to the end
Building
Farming
Tame various animals to be your loyal Companion
Deep Crafting System which allows you to create custom items
Day/Night Cycle with Weather Effects
Survival Mechanics

Buy it, it's really good ($15)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/424250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Hmm... This looks like it has the potential to be the Wizard Power Trip Simulator I've always wanted. Let's see how far I can get by fire balling everything I see in the face.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So is this Rune Factory for the PC? Because the Steam discussions are more about cows than about fireballing skeletons in the face.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Is this made by the Book of Eschalon company? It seems to have very similar movement.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Who on earth thought Balrum was a good name for anything?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So, anyone given this a try yet? Not seeing a lot of action either on Steam or here.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This looks like Ultima to me which is a massive positive. I wish the combat was real time though not turn based but whatever. Still gonna buy this.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

This has intrigued me, I like the sound of it for sure. I'll wait for a couple goon trip reports before I drop the cash, but it won't take much to sway me I think.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bought it tonight, played a few hours and it's really hard! The controls can take a lot of time to get use to and there are a lot of mechanics. The game has a steep learning curve and you kinda just have to go real slow, read everything, and really take your time. It feels like skills take a long time to obtain, you really want all of the crafting abilities but I have no idea yet how to get them. Items from NPCs are expensive too. This is a super hardcore RPG with survival mechanics and everything can kill you easily.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
Yeah the game is rather rough. You pretty much never want to take on 2 enemies at once, if you go to a place you shouldn't be yet the game will kill you hard, there's penalties for fighting in the dark. But the game gives you a whole lot of tools to deal with these problems, and you can quicksave anywhere except during combat.

I made an archer because I always play melee in these types of games, and I have no idea how you would possibly play a pure melee character. I still spend half of every fight in melee, but having to spend all that time healing after every fight just sounds annoying. Not that having to stand around waiting for arrows is exactly the highlight of the game.

I also made a post in the Before I Play thread. I'm not super far in but if you do decide to get it (which I recommend) these are hopefully helpful.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I played this a little and it seems really cool. Thankfully you can zoom the camera and the UI so everything isn't impossibly tiny.

The first thing I did with my homestead is get breadmaking up and running, since one loaf fills 45% hunger.

The rundown on farming seems to be:
- In build mode under Specials you can place farm plots. Uses shovel durability and you're limited in number by your farming skill.
- Plant your seeds. The pig farmer sells wheat seeds.
- Click on the plant to bring up a menu where you can water, fertilize, cure, and harvest plants. You need buckets to water plants, "borrow" them from around town (try the bottles next to the central well for instance.)
- Build a millstone and an oven or campfire.
- Go to sleep or come back a day later and plants will be fully grown.
- Mill the wheat, combine (C or the arrow button in the lower right) flour and water, and bake those bitches.

Also you can get Alchemy level 1 for free right at the start and make some better potions. To the southeast of the inn is a little closed off building with a bunch of explosive barrels around it. Set them off and they'll open the wall. There's a book that teaches Alchemy 1 in there. Just make sure to loot the non-exploding barrels first.

Watch out for green sparkles around bushes. You can search them for treasures like gems and vials of blood (?!)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Xythe posted:

Yeah the game is rather rough. You pretty much never want to take on 2 enemies at once, if you go to a place you shouldn't be yet the game will kill you hard, there's penalties for fighting in the dark. But the game gives you a whole lot of tools to deal with these problems, and you can quicksave anywhere except during combat.

I made an archer because I always play melee in these types of games, and I have no idea how you would possibly play a pure melee character. I still spend half of every fight in melee, but having to spend all that time healing after every fight just sounds annoying. Not that having to stand around waiting for arrows is exactly the highlight of the game.

I also made a post in the Before I Play thread. I'm not super far in but if you do decide to get it (which I recommend) these are hopefully helpful.

Yeah, I started as a melee character and then quit after trying combat with it, the controls for melee really suck. I hope the devs are able to fix some of the serious control issues but this is just a two person team. All of that said I really appreciate this RPG and what it is trying to do. I am glad I bought it, I think it is really cool either way and I hope that the devs are able to improve it more. I can understand though if they quickly stop cause this game is massive in scope and again its just two people.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Isn't the combat turn based? How can you gently caress up the combat controls on a turn based system? Bad UI?

Also, I've watched a 45 minutes stream and the guy was literally playing Stardew Valley, minus bribing the villagers in order to get laid. Does it get more, you know, old school RPG? Or is the game "take care of your life and then go have occasional expeditions"?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The only control issue I've had is accidentally chopping down trees when trying to loot things, but that's out of combat. You can hit G to bring up a grid but it doesn't seem necessary.

The start of the game is definitely classic RPG starting village with a PC with a mysterious past and a call to adventure, a bunch of menial sidequests, a dungeon at the bottom of the well, etc. I can't vouch for the quality of the plot but it has one, just with a heavy crafting bent to the gameplay. You can warp to and from your homestead at almost any time out of combat so it's not like you're tied down.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Fat Samurai posted:

Isn't the combat turn based? How can you gently caress up the combat controls on a turn based system? Bad UI?

Also, I've watched a 45 minutes stream and the guy was literally playing Stardew Valley, minus bribing the villagers in order to get laid. Does it get more, you know, old school RPG? Or is the game "take care of your life and then go have occasional expeditions"?

The issue is more that there are 3 different ways to control the player ( wasd, hold left mouse and right click to auto walk) but there are many situations where one is just better than the other.

For example, you say you are traveling across the map by holding down left mouse and run into an enemy, you can accidently blow through like 15 round of combat before you have a chance to lift your finger. Similarly many movements are so finikey you will often be taking more moves than you want or going in the wrong direction all while the ai is beating your face in.

Considering that all the echelon games played completely fine there is really no excuse for this one to control so bad. I have since gotten used to the quirks but from time to time it still gets me.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
The controls are atrocious, no two ways about it. There are a zillion interactive objects, none highlighted. Left click interacts, but it also moves one grid per click, so sometimes you misclick the object and end up stutter-stepping around. Right click moves like Baldur's Gate, but you can't right click an object to move to AND interact with it. It just parks you on top of it, and the stutter stepping dance begins. They offer three control modes and they're all annoyingly short of fully functional.

Also stealing.gets you killed, but there's no way to definitively tell who owns what.

What's frustrating is that these are all solved problems. When I click the chest across the screen, I expect to walk to it and loot it, not take exactly one step in its direction.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
You can set it up so a grid appears during combat, which is a really nice "you're in combat now" warning. If you want to move diagonally in combat you should really use the mouse. The only thing controlwise that bothers me is that it's really easy to try to talk to someone, they move and whoops now you're a thief and they want you dead!

Also annoying: There's a quest that sends you to an abandoned village. The questgiver nor journal tells you where it is, it just says it added a marker to your map. Said marker is not one that says what it is when you hover over it. It turns out, it's literally on the opposite side of the map from the questgiver. But there are two abandoned villages I've found so far, and one of them is just a bit South of the questgivers location. It's incredibly poorly thought out.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
It's just painfully amateurish in terms of usability design, and the writing reads like it's translated from some Germanic language (and yet I think it was originally in English?).

Honestly when compared to other RPGs in its weight class (the Echelons/Avernums), Balrum needs 3-4 more months of polish to seriously compete.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

The writing is 100% on fanfiction levels of quality, which is really too bad. The plot so far also seems pretty generic. Unless it goes Dragon's Dogma somehow I see the plot being completely forgettable.

Thinking of Dragon's Dogma makes this seem pretty DD itself, actually. The things I like about it I like a lot, but it seems every other thing they do right needs to have something equally wrong elsewhere.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Xythe posted:

The writing is 100% on fanfiction levels of quality, which is really too bad. The plot so far also seems pretty generic. Unless it goes Dragon's Dogma somehow I see the plot being completely forgettable.

Thinking of Dragon's Dogma makes this seem pretty DD itself, actually. The things I like about it I like a lot, but it seems every other thing they do right needs to have something equally wrong elsewhere.

I must have high standards. I thought Dragon's Dogma had an excruciatingly dull plot.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Node posted:

I must have high standards. I thought Dragon's Dogma had an excruciatingly dull plot.

It was up until the very end when the game calculates your true love and then you wind up having gay sex.

e: But yeah wait for a sale on this game.

boho fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 16, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

boho posted:

It was up until the very end when the game calculates your true love and then you wind up having gay sex.

I only wish I could have cornholed Feste outside the Greatwall.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Been playing for a couple hours.

It's fun, but not $15 material. UI is atrocious (especially movement - block pushing puzzles are excruciating), lots of walking. I'd say get this when it goes on sale. At $5 it would be great value.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 16, 2016

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I requested a refund. This game just isn't worth $15 in the current market.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Node posted:

Until the postgame this was true. poo poo got weird fast. Which is the only way this games plot could possibly be saved, imo. Dragon's Dogma getting a way better plot in the postgame probably isn't common knowledge, and is something I should have probably explained in the post proper.

boho posted:

I requested a refund. This game just isn't worth $15 in the current market.

I agree, and I backed it for $20. There being no autosort in your inventory, or at least right clicking things in your inventory to put it into a container is pretty bad, especially when there's so many different herbs and materials. It's just missing so many tiny things that you expect, but then it turns around and tells you exactly what something may be useful for in crafting right in the item tooltip. House building is easy and fun, but you have to wait around for your iron ore to turn into iron bars. The game has 4 fast travel ports, and you can even make your own in your house, but you can't run.

I'm having fun with it, and probably will for a while, but $10 is a better price point.

Xythe fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 16, 2016

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
can you even tango?

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
By the time i figured out just how bad it was, I couldn't get a refund. To those yet to buy this game, dont. Its not worth it in its current state, and it may never be.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Welp, this thread went downhill fast. Going to give this one a miss then, thanks for the warnings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCocksville
Feb 1, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
cherry venus

• Locked thread