Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

millennials are a rolling category that applies to whoever the spoiled/entitled/naive/insufficiently medicated teenagers are that adults hate at that moment

1980-1999 births are Generation Y, and any any Boomer or Gen Xer that says otherwise can gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

get this faggo poo poo out of here

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
According to Wikipedia:

The Lost Generation, also known as the Generation of 1914 in Europe, is a term originating with Gertrude Stein to describe those who fought in World War I. The members of the lost generation were typically born between 1883 and 1900.
The Greatest Generation, also known as the G.I. Generation, is the generation that includes the veterans who fought in World War II. They were born from around 1900 through 1924, coming of age during the Great Depression.
The Silent Generation, also known as the Lucky Few, were born from approximately 1925 until 1942. It includes some who fought in World War II, most of those who fought the Korean War and many during the Vietnam War.
The Baby Boomers are the generation that was born following World War II, generally from 1946 up to 1964, a time that was marked by an increase in birth rates. The term "baby boomer" is sometimes used in a cultural context. Therefore, it is impossible to achieve broad consensus on a defined start and end date. In general, baby boomers are associated with a rejection or redefinition of traditional values; however, many commentators have disputed the extent of that rejection, noting the widespread continuity of values with older and younger generations. In Europe and North America boomers are widely associated with privilege, as many grew up in a time of affluence. This generation is also referred to as the Me Generation.
Generation X, commonly abbreviated to Gen X, is the generation born after the Western Post–World War II baby boom. Demographers, historians and commentators use birth dates ranging from the early 1960s to the early 1980s. The term has also been used in different times and places for a number of different subcultures or countercultures since the 1950s.
Millennials, also known as the Millennial Generation, or Generation Y, is the demographic cohort following Generation X. Commentators use birth dates ranging from the early 1980s to the early 2000s.
The cohort of people born after the Millennials have no agreed name or range of birth dates. A common name is Generation Z. Some sources start this generation at the mid or late 1990s with various ending dates and others start it in the early 2000s with birth dates ending around 2025. The term Generation Alpha has been suggested as name for both this cohort and for the subsequent one.

OK so there you go. I'm right in the middle of Gen X. Based on title alone, I would prefer to be one of "The Lucky Few."

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Navin Johnson posted:

I'm early Gen-X. Guess how old I am! My kids are millenials................

Hint: I'm really old.

you joined this month so you're also a rereg

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Did anyone really think that "Millennials" really were the generation born after 2000? Why would everyone be talking about a generation that, at the oldest, is turning 16 this year and isn't even old enough to drive a car or vote? Who would care that a 16 year old didn't have a job and still lived with their parents?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kuato posted:

So I was at a Gaming Conference and they were talking about demographic groups and they said Millenials are people born between 1980-2000.

If there was ever a need for the overused clip of Luke screaming "NO! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE! THAT CAN'T BE TRUE" this is it.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I drink your newly minted millenial tears

if you need to cry on someone's shoulder, I'm here for you

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Blazing Ownager posted:

If there was ever a need for the overused clip of Luke screaming "NO! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE! THAT CAN'T BE TRUE" this is it.

Was pretty much my thought process. Was halfway paying attention and they brought up focus group testing and showed a chart and then the world changed.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Pawn 17 posted:

I'm a millennial, but not a millennial if you know what I mean.

[In a Chris Rock voice] I love people born after 1980, but I hate Millennials!

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

LOL they keep pushing that that birth date back cause dudes pushing forty trying to gently caress younger chicks.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Generation Y was a lie

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial

Knight posted:

Did anyone really think that "Millennials" really were the generation born after 2000? Why would everyone be talking about a generation that, at the oldest, is turning 16 this year and isn't even old enough to drive a car or vote? Who would care that a 16 year old didn't have a job and still lived with their parents?

I guess its similar to the 'reasoning' behind the difference between the '20th century' and the '21'st century'. for some reason, the former only has two years with the number '20' in it (besides the 1920's). the latter is labeled with a '20' for one hundred years. cuck 's

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

ArbitraryC posted:

I think the confusion is when we were young people called us gen y cause we were the generation after gen x, I really only started hearing the term millennials sometime in the 2000s and it naturally sounds like someone who was born after the millennium.

According to google the term millennial was coined in 82 before I was even born, because I guess the idea was that we'd be hitting adulthood in the early 2000s, but I simply do not recall it being a thing people used to refer to my generation until really social media and technology were so ingrained in day to day life.

Bingo! Whatever happened to Gen Y. I guess it got swallowed up by the "millenial" term.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Darkman Fanpage posted:

you joined this month so you're also a rereg

Not true. I am longtime lurker actually. I finally grew a pair and started posting.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Knight posted:

cuz therye pieces of poo poo!!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

super mad the typo in the thread title got fixed :mad:

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

drunk dog posted:

I guess its similar to the 'reasoning' behind the difference between the '20th century' and the '21'st century'. for some reason, the former only has two years with the number '20' in it (besides the 1920's). the latter is labeled with a '20' for one hundred years. cuck 's

i think thats because 0AD - 100AD was the first century? some very millennial reasoning...

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I'm a millenial. the boomers ruined this country.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

loquacius posted:

super mad the typo in the thread title got fixed :mad:

:agreed:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

White Phosphorus posted:

LOL they keep pushing that that birth date back cause dudes pushing forty trying to gently caress younger chicks.

Losing out to older dudes got ya down?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Navin Johnson posted:

Bingo! Whatever happened to Gen Y. I guess it got swallowed up by the "millenial" term.

I think what happens is there are often several ways to refer to a single generation and people really only conclusively agree on one name around the time most of those people are in their early adulthood. You can already see it with the generation that follows us, there's not really one name that resonates yet because the next generation isn't even in high school. I think after you get a few of them through their communications and journalism degrees you're going to start seeing more opinion pieces about what it means to be gen z or w/e.

Something I'm somewhat curious about is what the timeline for the next generation is gonna be, I feel like usually generations sort of vaguely matches up with who your parents and ends up being like 15-25 year stretches cause that's when people were having kids, but afaik millenials are pushing back the whole family situation due to many of them realizing kids have gotten more expensive and wages haven't kept up so we're probably going to end up with a generation of people having kids in their later 20's and early 30's which would be historically unusual.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
gamers are highly intelligent so i accept this as fact. i am millennial

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
All this time I thought I was a Gen Y... but I was a millennial all along...

:negative:

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

HJE-Cobra posted:

All this time I thought I was a Gen Y... but I was a millennial all along...

:negative:

I got it worse when I was in high-school I was told I was Gen-Y now I find out that I'm Gen-X when all that sweet Gen-X cash has dried up.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Generation Next was only the Spice Girls, right?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Knight posted:

Generation Next was only the Spice Girls, right?

I think it was Pepsi too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

X-Men: Generation X

Star Wars: Tales of the Millenial Falcon

Generation Z: The Zombie Wars

• Locked thread