Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
title
be born with a disability
acquire a disability
View Results

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

It's better to have ________ and lost than to have never __________ at all

race warred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

lonesomedwarf posted:

im covered in self inflicted character

fair point

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

symbolic posted:

i was wondering this in bed last night. say, for example, blindness. if you're born blind, you'll never experience seeing anything, and that's depressing. however, if you become blind, you'll never experience what you've already experienced ever again, and that's also depressing. same thing for paralysis. either you know you'll never walk, or you will never walk again.

There's also another factor: Time to adapt.

It takes years to get used to a lot of disabilities, before you stop reaching with your phantom limbs and crap. Having it from the time you were born would let you have a lot more experience with that and you'll be able to deal with it a lot better. Just my two cents.

I mean would you rather grow up knowing sign language/brail or would your rather to learn them - while now blind/deaf - in your 30s+?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

There's also another factor: Time to adapt.

It takes years to get used to a lot of disabilities, before you stop reaching with your phantom limbs and crap. Having it from the time you were born would let you have a lot more experience with that and you'll be able to deal with it a lot better. Just my two cents.

I mean would you rather grow up knowing sign language/brail or would your rather to learn them - while now blind/deaf - in your 30s+?

It's actually easier for people with failing hearing to learn to lip read than it is for someone who was always deaf to learn to lip read. It's not easy to learn a new anything but it's often easier to get along if you once had some capacity there that you lost. It's like saying "would you rather learn how to drive a handicapped car after using your legs or grow up driving a handicapped car?" Guess what, in the former situation you already know how to drive and just need to adapt a ways whereas in the latter when you learn you have to struggle with subpar tech, your own limitations, and learning how to drive all at once.

• Locked thread